• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

9/20 Syracuse Smash Tourney!!! Get Your Spot Now!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
listen guys, mabye i can so a reduced venue, im not sure though, 1. this place cost me 350 dollars to rent out, plus 125 for renters insurance. all of this money is comming out of MY pocket. 2. my GF is not too happy about it either considering we live paycheck to paycheck. im not looking to make money off this, 3. just to break even so i can do this again next month hopefully. so please dont complain about the venue fee.

4. aslo im not taking you guys for granted bringing setups. i love all the help you guys have given me and i appreciate u guys bringing setups, but honostly i dont think im going to be able to reduce the venue fee. im sry, but thats just the way it is.

1. that sounds like a ton for what should be a 50 man capacity room, with a bunch of outlets
2. Is she coming? do i get to meet her too?!
3. monthlies would be amazing
4. given the circumstances, i guess its not a big deal. but you say that you are taking the people bringing setups for granted, but do you really know who is bringing them?

im just saying people will rage about the tourny and flip out and want money back if there are no setups ive seen it happen. stress it more that we need setups
I agree with mana, I like you, and i have my own car and im not driving anymore than 1 person to this thing, so im bringing my tv, but not everyone is gonna wanna bring their tv, especially if its as big as mine. so theres a good chance that like 25 people bring wiis and gamecubes, and only 2 guys bring tvs. amount of setups is important and should be stressed because you cant have too many, but its very easy to have too few.

1. yes i did have to pay in advance, two days ago i did. but im not complaining about having to pay for it. im doing it so we can all have fun and play smash. thats all i want really, haha to play new people and expand the community is the main purpose of this event. this should become a regular thing in syracuse hopefully if everything goes to plan:chuckle:

also i dont think we will have a problem with setups. 2. worst case scenario will be stuck with a minimum of 8 or so setups. but this is just an estimate on a bad turnout, so dont worry. im doing my best to get as many setups as possible, my buddy is the manager of my local gamestop and 3. if all goes well, he will be bringing us 5 wiis and copies of brawl. this is still to be indetermined if he can do this or not but i will be contacting him tommorow.

4. on the other hand if the majority of the people or groups of people at least bring one setup, we should have nothing to worry about:chuckle:

1. that blows, but im happy that the leader of a region has such a good mindset about it.
2. this looks like a 40-50 man expected turn out. and as a general rule of thumb you should have one setup per 4 people that show up to your tournament. that sets up a nice flow of singles and doubles matches with out too much sitting out for anybody. so it would be best to have more than just 8.
3. You have to realise that you are running tournaments for 2 seperate games, some people play one game exclusively and some people play the other exclusively and some play both, so you need to have near equal amount of setups for melee and brawl. (probably slightly more for brawl). People are very easily disgruntled, and you want to make this the best experience possible for everyone involved. that being said, people like manalord arent going to show up to your next tournament if you have 10 brawl setups and only 2 for melee. not trying to yell at you or anything, but as the TO these are all very important aspects that you need to take into account for this event. My first suggestion, would be for you to put a tally in the first post. listing in detail who is bringing TVs gamecubes, wiis, and copies of both games if you havent already.
4. you cant blindly take the anime protagonist "everything will work out in the end" attitude toward things like this. because theres no guarantee that people will bring the necessary setups. this is also why you usually either reduce or eliminate venue fees for guys like me that lug their 40 pound tvs to and from an event like this. you have already explained why you cant do that for this event and im not trying to change your mind, only to give you an explaination as to why certain things are done as they are. so you can know for next time.

@alterian. the guy i wanted you to help and the san that just posted are one in the same, theres only one person to pick up in ithaca

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Yes I made up my mind, and I am going. Unless I find out at the last minute I have something EXTREMELY important to do over the weekend (I would blow off everything else), I would still like a ride. Thanks.

altairian

Smash Lord
Alright cool, toss me a PM and let me know where you live at some point. Also make sure you PM Gaia_x cause we'll be spending the night at his place.

To any/all Ithaca people that need a ride and are okay with going up saturday night for Gaia's smashfest and leaving after Brawl singles finishes on sunday, PM me (and again, Gaia because we'll be crashing at his place)

Oh and if you're riding in my car, you best be bringing as much of your setup as you can unless you have good reason not to. I have plenty of room in my car for TV's.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Im bringing a wii with brawl, and without a wiimote lol

a game cube with melee

and a (i think) 36 in tv. basically if you remember the movies you used to watch in school where the tvs were on those giant rolling carts. my tv is about the same size as those tvs

Sharky

Smash Master
yay san has a ride! I finally get to play you =D

Ike is probably my favorite match-up to play, it's just fun for some reason =)

Kantō

Smash Champion
thanks KID for your advice, i will take in everything that u said in ur previous post, i will start a list of a setup tally in the first post. i understand about the venue fee issue and i take both points into acount and agree with both of them, just wanna see how the first one goes. if monthlies continue to happen, then yes im totally in for a reduced venue . but as of my personal money situation right now, i need to at least break even with the expenses. im not trying to be greedy i promise.

so with that said ,
if you havent already, please post if you can bring any setups or just an extra TV or an extra wii...ect.

also extension cords, powerstips, anything... the venue comes with use of all the tables and chairs so im not worried about anything like that.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
To deal with the monies issue. We can hold monthly in my apartment. with probbly like a 2 $ venue fee for electricity then maybe reduce entree fees to 5$ or keep them 10$ depending on attendence. Theres plenty of room in out apartment due to the lack of furniture and our master bed room is unused completely empty so we could definetly get like 4-5 set ups in there if not more. Then set ups in the living room which we can fit at like 2-3 (allowing for walking and standing room. This way know what has to rent out a expensive *** venue. Post feedback if people are interested.

altairian

Smash Lord
**** I need to get myself a big empty apartment to host my tourneys at. Although I am getting 10 bucks store credit at Play'N'Trade to host tourneys there....lol

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
some things to keep in mind

thanks KID for your advice, i will take in everything that u said in ur previous post, i will start a list of a setup tally in the first post. i understand about the venue fee issue and i take both points into acount and agree with both of them, just wanna see how the first one goes. if monthlies continue to happen, then yes im totally in for a reduced venue . but as of my personal money situation right now, i need to at least break even with the expenses. im not trying to be greedy i promise.

so with that said ,
if you havent already, please post if you can bring any setups or just an extra TV or an extra wii...ect.

also extension cords, powerstips, anything... the venue comes with use of all the tables and chairs so im not worried about anything like that.

one thing i forgot to note, usually in situations such as these, as long as all contestants are notified ahead of time (such as is the case with the buffalo tourney) theres nothing wrong with taking a small part (5-10%) out of the pot to help pay for venue fees and the like. just more stuff to keep in mind.

To deal with the monies issue. We can hold monthly in my apartment. with probbly like a 2 $ venue fee for electricity then maybe reduce entree fees to 5$ or keep them 10$ depending on attendence. Theres plenty of room in out apartment due to the lack of furniture and our master bed room is unused completely empty so we could definetly get like 4-5 set ups in there if not more. Then set ups in the living room which we can fit at like 2-3 (allowing for walking and standing room. This way know what has to rent out a expensive *** venue. Post feedback if people are interested.

few issues with that.

1. can you fit 40 people, actually not just people, 40 gamer dudes in your apartment with out everyone dying from either heat or musk due to ventilation?

2. doesnt that break fire codes or some BS like that?

3. you dont have a house you have an apartment, so i assume you share the rest of the building with other poeple, and will they be ok with 40 gamer dudes causing a ruckus (cus you know smashers cant help themselves from being loud) at upwards of 3 in the morning? cus *****s dont stop smashing just cause the tourney is over.

also it looks like you can go ahead and put san and dudutsai on the attendee list

and lastly

i just looked and the tally and we have 8 wiis and 3 gamecubes. thats kinda lopsided, but as long as 2-3 people just bring their copies of melee itll be all good

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
**** I need to get myself a big empty apartment to host my tourneys at. Although I am getting 10 bucks store credit at Play'N'Trade to host tourneys there....lol
Any name ideas yet? XD I can only think of a couple. You get store credit to host tournies? Nice.

Bry, my TV is mad tiny, but I can bring it if you want. I'll be bringing a Wii and brawl setup, but my GC sucks so I can't help you there.:ohwell:

altairian

Smash Lord
I have one decent name idea. I'll try to come up with some more before the tourney ;)
And yeah, I offered to host tourneys for them purely because I want to build a community in my area, but when they offered store credit I wasn't going to say no lol. Now all I have to do is get enough people to come to tourneys on a weekday so that I can still travel to WNY tourneys on weekends and I'm all set XD

Kantō

Smash Champion
thanks 1337, yes bring your tv, even if its tiny, we'll use everything we can get, do u at least have a copy of melee?

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Ill also bring a copy of melee. And to KID i think fire code is like 30 we have AC and 10 windows in a 3 bed room apartment. Its doable. If anything at least try-able. And noise shouldnt be an issues you have no idea how loud my neighbors are they can stuff it if they have a problem.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
san: team name ideas, tell me what you think.

"Best team they aint neva heard of."

N.W.A. (*****s Wit Attitude)

"We're only Mid tier"

"Pinky and the Brain"

"God! I hate your up-b!"

G@M3 (Get at Me)

Which ones do you like? Personally I like the first two

@Sai

we can go with the default name that I like for most of my teams:

"Pedophilia"

Cus Im the KID, and youre the ****.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
I have one decent name idea. I'll try to come up with some more before the tourney ;)
And yeah, I offered to host tourneys for them purely because I want to build a community in my area, but when they offered store credit I wasn't going to say no lol. Now all I have to do is get enough people to come to tourneys on a weekday so that I can still travel to WNY tourneys on weekends and I'm all set XD
Tell me the name! Send it over PM if you don't wanna post it here. I've got some interesting name ideas that I wouldn't necessarily want to post. XD
How close is Play'n'Trade to SU? I'd like to try a tourney there sometime.
thanks 1337, yes bring your tv, even if its tiny, we'll use everything we can get, do u at least have a copy of melee?
'K, I'll bring my TV. My copy of Melee is slightly damaged. I can bring it, but you might wanna use it for friendlies only.

altairian

Smash Lord
Tell me the name! Send it over PM if you don't wanna post it here. I've got some interesting name ideas that I wouldn't necessarily want to post. XD
How close is Play'n'Trade to SU? I'd like to try a tourney there sometime.
The one I'm hosting at is in the Saratoga area where I live, which is like 2.5 hours east of Syracuse heh. Pretty long trip for you if I'm not mistaken =\
Also nobody better than me is allowed to come because I need free money ;)

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
The one I'm hosting at is in the Saratoga area where I live, which is like 2.5 hours east of Syracuse heh. Pretty long trip for you if I'm not mistaken =\
Also nobody better than me is allowed to come because I need free money ;)
Ouch, that is pretty far.

BTW, if you allow my alteration that's definitely our team name.

Bry, promise me that Altairian and I get Red team the whole time.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
18:18] KIDGoggles: hello beauty

Goggles is banned from all of my smash fests.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
WTF?

why are you trying to lie about me?

i never said that.

I demand that you post the entire chat log in order to prove that I said that.

Kantō

Smash Champion
yes please bring as much as you can guys, even if its just a copy of melee. lol
i guess u can have red team 1337 if ya want to as long is there is no disputes over it , but it doesnt really matter to me.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
I gotta practice my Red Ness skillz now XD

Yo Goggles, San is in the Low-Tier tourney right? Does he know today is his last day to have his first match?

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
It's a week away, I should probably bring it up again.

Goggles, we gotta have our MM. Gaia's bringing livestream, I'm not gonna pass up the opportunity to have this on the netz. Even if you 3-stock me both games I want this archived for eternity. $5, Ness vs. Sonic. As soon as Gaia sets up were doing this.

San, I'm going to beat your Ike this time, tourney match or not. Maybe. -_-'

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
There's no way anyone is passing by SUNY Albany en route to this is there? I would like to go (gotta represent LI lol) but I have no ride. I can pitch in for gas money, and If I go I can bring a wii. Just puttin it out there.

Kantō

Smash Champion
Is melee gonna be 3 stock?
yea, all the rules are listed in the first post if ya wanna look em over:chuckle:

I know you arent...

you coming down here tomorrow?
i dont think i can make it cuz i dont have a ride, Al has to work, i dont have a car, Matts GF is going to need the car that day for skool i think, and Scott's van cant go more than 40 mph or it will overheat, its a peice of ****. but i sill might make im gunna see if my GF will drive us :chuckle: so dont count me out yet!

Top Bottom