• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

818 needs to step it up!

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
So here is the situation.

Palmdale is ******, LA is ******, OC is doing pretty well. So why the hell does the 818 suck so much right now?

We started off with the best DDD in Romeo, we had nestor, morb, larry, mike haze, and a few others placing pretty well. Then we had Futile almost solidifying himself as the best in Socal.

Now we have Futile losing more consistently, Romeo not placing top 4 anymore, Me losing to character match ups I'm clueless on. I mean, what is the problem? The 818 was easily one of the most dominating regions in Melee.

I have a theory. The bulk of the talent decided to stick to melee. Because of that, we have a few sub-par/decent melee players, and a bunch of ****ty Brawl players. It's not so much that the majority of players are on Melee now, it's that the Melee community actively tries to discourage Brawlers from competing. If they aren't trying to get people to play melee, they are constantly bashing the game of Brawl.

It's understandable though. Melee is amazing, brawl is not nearly as good. However, I have a list of priorities I adhere to.
I love samus. I love Brawl more. I love melee even more. I love tournaments even more. I love the smash community even more. I love winning for the sake of accomplishment even more. All in that order.

With that in mind, you can see why, for example, I can't stick to Samus in brawl. My love for samus is overpowered by my love of winning. Samus can't win in Brawl, so I have to quit samus. Likewise, my love for Melee is overpowered because I would get no sense of accomplishment from winning a 20 man, low competition melee tournament that serves as a side event. So I have to play brawl to get my fix.

So what's my beef with the 818 then? They are sticking to a game that I love in Melee, but are hurting my chances of winning, which I love more than melee. I have a lot of 818 pride, and it's sad to see us sucking so much.

I can't attend tournaments on a regular basis so the majority of my skill comes from smashfests and experience. But the local talent is lacking, therefore our smashfests are lacking. Futile is by far the best player in our area, but even he can't keep up with the tournament scene without support from his region. And by support I mean, skillful competition. As our players get worse, we'll become a less desired region for the rest of Socal. There will be no reason for say DSF, or Aero, or anyone else that's good, to come to our area to smash because our talent is so lackluster.

So how can we achieve better results from the 818? Attend more tournaments if you can. Try having more smashfests if you can. Play other regions if you can. If you love melee and refuse to play brawl, that's cool. Just don't try to convert the entire region to it. I would hate to end up a part of a ****ty region that I tried making a name for in Melee. I don't mean that in a "i own the 818" kind of way. I mean that in a "I worked **** hard to represent this region and to gain respect for it" kind of way. Now I see it sucking, and I can't do much about it since I'm not too amazing myself anymore. I'd like to improve, but I need help.

The only reason I became good in Melee was because I could attend tournaments non stop. I would then go to smashfests, or hosts smashfests with the Superfriends, in order to create improvement in myself and in the community. We didn't have DSF coming to play here at first, or Ken stopping by to give us lessons. We attended tournaments, held smashfests, and improved to the point where the big name players would later come to us for practice. We got to the point where tavo would come to smash at my house, DSF/edrees/MikeY(When he was good)/Knives would drive all the way to wolf's house to play, Mango and roundtable would go to Romeo's house to practice, and people would go to Haze's house to play/check out his mom. We got to the point where the best from the EC and the US all over would talk to the 818 for housing and practicing purposes.

I don't have the luxury of free weekends anymore. Tournaments are a rare occasion for me. I'd like to practice against a variety of good players, with different characters and styles. Even if we have the 1st/2nd best player in Socal, such a small amount of excellent talent will improve us in very specific and situational ways, as opposed to having a better overall ability to win against styles and characters of many different kinds.

So let's try to step it up, 818.

markeezy

Smash Cadet
sweeeet in my first singles tourney at race's i lost to romeo. assuming that the romeo you're speaking about is the one i lost to. nice way to christen me to singles tourney.

and if you're gonna hold stuff, i'm in the 818 myself let me know. i'm down to go to some smashfests or attend more tourneys in the area.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Atleast you have a community, I'm the only one in the 909 who actively goes to tournaments :(

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Your words have compelled me
I do give Brawl a chance
But I do lack one thing
A Wii
Without that I can never get good at it even if I tried
Come over sometime with people
I'm willing to learn
Remember what game you're talking about; IIRC, NoJ was winning tournaments in the Midwest before he had a Wii (he still might not have one).

@JTB: I also go to Brawl tournaments occassionally.

$ick

Smash Lord
Your words have compelled me
I do give Brawl a chance
But I do lack one thing
A Wii
Without that I can never get good at it even if I tried
Come over sometime with people
I'm willing to learn
I don't have a Wii now, nor did I have a GC during the Melee era. No Johns. ;)

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
Atleast you have a community, I'm the only one in the 909 who actively goes to tournaments :(
I'm pretty sure I have no one in my area AT ALL lol. Westminster sucks. It's always cloudy cuz we gots the Manacloud.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
iono, it's not like i don't try, Hugo. I IM you like 4 times a week asking to smash haha. I think it's just that all the older players are further into their lives, that they really don't have time to play brawl at the level they did when they were younger. You go to school, and work full time, same with romeo, gabe and others.

idk, the reason i kept going back to melee was because no one in the area is playing brawl, not even our noobs (pat, jopez, romeo) so it's hard to try to find someone to play with.

This past week i decided to try to take it seriously.

i spent my whole week in palmdale, i played with shadow and his cousins, then went to their tournament on thursday. I already felt i got way better just from that one smashfest up there. I ended up beating BoA, and losing to Teba(1st place) and Light. (3rd place)

Saturday, i went to races, and got *****, but it was due to the blunt lmao, but no johns, i got *****.

Sunday, i went to a tournament with alex/Ajax in san diego. i had an easy bracket, then i played Bone. Took him to 3rd match, but he just outplayed me.

He had to play Ajax in winners semi's, and got the best of him too. I ended up beating Pnoy in losers, and losing to Aj.

just in that one week, i improved a **** load, if people put in the time/dedication they will get better, it's just that no one wants to or can for whatever reason.

i guess the fate of 818 is up to me :(

DAHKTERem

Smash Ace
We got to the point where tavo would come to smash at my house, DSF/edrees/MikeY(When he was good)/Knives would drive all the way to wolf's house to play...
WOW. Listen to this noob talk. Thanks Edrees for showing me this

So when you said "when he was good," was that before or after I ***** you at UCLA, after 7 months of not practicing. NO JOHNS

Azeem will always be the best samus in socal, since he helped train Hugo all those years.

Any region that Hugo or Wolf can call home is an automatic FAILURE. Stay out of the OC noobs.

And how f*cking dare you put Knives in the same group of names as me? I am 2-0 against him in tournament. He f*cking SUCKS

You know who else I am 2-0 in tournament against? MANGOOOOOOOO

I'm like 13-0 against Wolf (I lost count after that)

F*ck you Champ. I love you

Hope this clears things up. I am tooooo good

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
WOW. Listen to this noob talk. Thanks Edrees for showing me this

So when you said "when he was good," was that before or after I ***** you at UCLA, after 7 months of not practicing. NO JOHNS

Azeem will always be the best samus in socal, since he helped train Hugo all those years.

Any region that Hugo or Wolf can call home is an automatic FAILURE. Stay out of the OC noobs.

And how f*cking dare you put Knives in the same group of names as me? I am 2-0 against him in tournament. He f*cking SUCKS

You know who else I am 2-0 in tournament against? MANGOOOOOOOO

I'm like 13-0 against Wolf (I lost count after that)

F*ck you Champ. I love you

Hope this clears things up. I am tooooo good
Hey, remember that time I beat you?

creepy fingers

Smash Journeyman
I think its like Mike said, people dont wanna put in the time needed to get good at brawl. Palmdale has smashfest every week and we all <3 it ( except for SB :( ). its crazy watching our matches from 1 month ago and watching are matches now, we have gotten wwwaaayyyy better. i think alot of people think its a nooby game becuz they get beat by people they dont know and expected to **** just becuz they ***** in melee. i came in the melee scene late and i never had enuf time to get good, but when brawl came out it was a fresh start for me and alot of people. brawl is a competitive game, just gotta put in the time to get good.

Charoo

Smash Champion
we need to have legend vs new generation crew battle haha =)

we should just play poker instead right hugo?

i do wish i can play brawl more but like mike haze said, we are all just too busy now.

Mike Y is amazing at being the worst ike/pharmacist ever

Arash

Smash Lord
i love the pacwest forums so much i never post

except now, of course

gas is expensive in the OC, and i haven't bought a new car yet:(

replicate

Smash Lord
I might be part of the problem in Hugo's eyes, but here's the way I think about it.

Melee is too good. I watched all the videos starting maybe a year and a half ago, loved it, but never thought I was "good" enough to go to a tournament, and basically my first tournament was Super Champ Combo.

Way too late in the game, and it's probably my biggest regret that I didn't get into the melee scene earlier. Basically, there wasn't time enough for me to get good at it, then I played brawl, and I just don't like taking it seriously. Whenever I try to play it competitively, I just get frustrated. I was alright at it too when it first came out (I won my first real tournament money in Brawl), and I definitely saw the potential I had to get good at it, but it seems like it's much less fun to "get good at" than melee.

So I was left with the choice between playing something that I dislike and potentially getting good at it if I forgot all about melee and went to every brawl tournament ever. The thing is, melee (at least then) seemed like the nobler pursuit--the skill ceiling was unbelievably high since everyone had already played the hell out of it, and it takes (I think) a LOT more work and dedication to get good at, especially this late in the game's life.

Play a game that seems comparatively simple, or stick with something that I thought was a superior game? Melee is something that I love getting gritty with; I love going to smashfests or tournaments and playing friendlies for hours and getting my *** whipped over and over by tofu and haze or bone or saint patrick or anybody. I'll play melee until my fingers are bruised and I've got arthritis, but the simple drive to improve in something that I hold in such a high regard is the biggest motivation I have, and that's melee.

So that's why (selfishly, I guess) I hope people stick with it.

Melee is too good.

festizzio

Smash Champion
805 is freakin huge dude, I'm in 805 and it's like a 2 hour drive to Santa Barbara. (I think, may be longer)

MarthPwnzer

Smash Journeyman
I might be part of the problem in Hugo's eyes, but here's the way I think about it.

Melee is too good. I watched all the videos starting maybe a year and a half ago, loved it, but never thought I was "good" enough to go to a tournament, and basically my first tournament was Super Champ Combo.

Way too late in the game, and it's probably my biggest regret that I didn't get into the melee scene earlier. Basically, there wasn't time enough for me to get good at it, then I played brawl, and I just don't like taking it seriously. Whenever I try to play it competitively, I just get frustrated. I was alright at it too when it first came out (I won my first real tournament money in Brawl), and I definitely saw the potential I had to get good at it, but it seems like it's much less fun to "get good at" than melee.

So I was left with the choice between playing something that I dislike and potentially getting good at it if I forgot all about melee and went to every brawl tournament ever. The thing is, melee (at least then) seemed like the nobler pursuit--the skill ceiling was unbelievably high since everyone had already played the hell out of it, and it takes (I think) a LOT more work and dedication to get good at, especially this late in the game's life.

Play a game that seems comparatively simple, or stick with something that I thought was a superior game? Melee is something that I love getting gritty with; I love going to smashfests or tournaments and playing friendlies for hours and getting my *** whipped over and over by tofu and haze or bone or saint patrick or anybody. I'll play melee until my fingers are bruised and I've got arthritis, but the simple drive to improve in something that I hold in such a high regard is the biggest motivation I have, and that's melee.

So that's why (selfishly, I guess) I hope people stick with it.

Melee is too good.

My story is basically the same, joined really really late in the game. First tournament was some tournament in riverside, then my first major one was at UCLA (the last one that held melee). I wasn't good, so I really wanted brawl to be completive since I wanted to have a chance to watch and enjoy playing as the game developed to a competitive level.

I got the game the night it came out, rushed home to play it, unlocked marth and played a few rounds against a cpu. Sadly to my surprise this was not the a melee 2.0, which I was hoping for, it was really slow and floaty, I decided I would still give it a go. The next day my friend held a small smashfest at his house, about 7 people came and we played brawl.

We hosted a tournament that day, and thats when I saw what Brawl was. Campy. A friend of mine choose Pit, and spammed the arrows like crazy. Thats when I knew what the game would turn into. I went to a few tournaments got camped by a rob and blown upp by a snake, i came in 4th so i still had hope for the game.

Then I thought, what do I want to put time into? A game that has alot to learn, or a gmae with a shallow gameplay. My way of thinking, if im going to put time into a game, why not put time into the game that offers more. So I gave up my hopes in brawl, it was unbalanced and slow, and choose the superior game, melee.

Top Bottom