• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

818 needs to step it up!

debaser

Smash Lord
So I was left with the choice between playing something that I dislike and potentially getting good at it if I forgot all about melee and went to every brawl tournament ever. The thing is, melee (at least then) seemed like the nobler pursuit--the skill ceiling was unbelievably high since everyone had already played the hell out of it, and it takes (I think) a LOT more work and dedication to get good at, especially this late in the game's life.

Play a game that seems comparatively simple, or stick with something that I thought was a superior game? Melee is something that I love getting gritty with; I love going to smashfests or tournaments and playing friendlies for hours and getting my *** whipped over and over by tofu and haze or bone or saint patrick or anybody. I'll play melee until my fingers are bruised and I've got arthritis, but the simple drive to improve in something that I hold in such a high regard is the biggest motivation I have, and that's melee.

So that's why (selfishly, I guess) I hope people stick with it.
I'm in this boat. Not that it matters, just sayin

replicate

Smash Lord

and on a serious note, I don't really think that melee players are actively discouraging people from playing brawl. I think it's more like the melee community really likes melee and will do a lot to keep old good players, which just inherently clashes with socal developing a talented brawl community.

Discouraging, yeah, but I think the fault lies with players who don't have the balls to say "I want to play Brawl" or explain their reasons for wanting to leave melee, not necessarily with the melee community bogging down all the brawl players who could potentially be great.

replicate

Smash Lord
people probably argue that brawl's "shallow" because it hasn't had enough time to really develop any "deep" gameplay like melee.

and even if it is deep and strategic (which I definitely think it is--but in a different way), it's just not as fun to a lot of people.

MarthPwnzer

Smash Journeyman
people probably argue that brawl's "shallow" because it hasn't had enough time to really develop any "deep" gameplay like melee.

and even if it is deep and strategic (which I definitely think it is--but in a different way), it's just not as fun to a lot of people.
Well yes to some extent you right, its a new game and still things have not fully developed. But the physics engine does not offer much to be manipulated for useful tactics. Even so there are alot of things missing to make the game somewhat completive. Combos are rubbish in brawl, in fact they don't exist.Spamming conquers the game. I don't know, I dot foresee much more to be found, but I could be wrong.

Zoap

Smash Master
Excellent post Hugo, we seem to have the same problem in Norcal where we maybe have one tournament everyother week(used to be like once a month) and even then with people's busy lives and a seperation of 1-2 hrs its hard to get our players together. Lucky for us DBR started to have sessions occasionally and the sub regions are all helping their own players get better. I have alot of hopes that both BIO and Axis will be amazing for brawl.

replicate

Smash Lord
lmao marthpwnzer you probably are wrong

sure there's depth--to use a tired brawl blanket argument, it's just different than melee
at this point saying just "spamming > all" and "no combos" argument is pretty dumb, obviously brawl is about positioning more than anything, and you just need a lot of patience to play it well, or something else entirely (I wouldn't know, I suck at it)

there's deep gameplay in everything, dude

and norcal, you got this
and if you don't, your melee players do ^_^

embracethe12

Smash Lord
I know the reason brawl got me down was the failure to make combos that didn't consist of doing the same move over and over. Ive been scolded when i've said something was not really a combo because it's just the same move over and over again and then a finishing hit. To me a combo was multiple moves that connected with eachother, and i'm sure a lot of people just got discouraged when they tried to do their favorite melee combo with brawl characters and it didn't work. i'm sure most of it has to do with how hard it is to find a genuine combo in brawl. It's not that combos can't be made, if you read your opponent right you can get the combos, i just wished that the more unique combos could be easier to find.

Zoap

Smash Master
Melee is still amazing up here. We just had a 36 man tourney last weekend with Falcomist Zhu SS and Tang all in attendance.

replicate

Smash Lord
haha yeah I know, I watched all those videos
seriously too good, I can't wait to play everyone come fall

@steven: I don't think reading your opponent is really a combo even, it's more like tech-chasing
if you have to read their airdodges in order to hit them over and over or something like that, I wouldn't really call it a combo

There are a few in brawl though, but the only ones I've seen are like bair over and over with DDD or uair with metaknight or snakedash--> upsmash. They're just not very interesting lol.

Zoap

Smash Master
people often confuse combos with melee combos. Combos are consectutive hits. Just because melee combos were more automatic than brawl does not take away from reading your opponents dodges and rolls.

replicate

Smash Lord
oh, for sure
I know what you mean, reading airdodges/rolls is still amazing, it's just not what I personally consider a "combo"

everyone's definition is different, I guess; I wouldn't consider tech-chasing a combo in melee, but it's just something personal and it's not really important IMO

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
I agree with teh nubs (mr pwnzer and rapelicate, not mhaze) they make good statementz. The only reason I'd play brawl is because melee is pretty much dead now. Depth is not even a factor for me anymore, it's simply which one is more fun. The other week I played a friend who just barely mastered L cancelling and wavedashing (he's smart and learns quickly though) and we played for 6 hours straight. We switched to Brawl about halfway through, and even though he did much better and even beat me once, we stopped after 4 matches because he said he was bored.

But Melee has more depth too ^^

I don't recall that >_>
You'd probably rapelicate me anyway, let's play today! I think I can later at night and I can probably get 5. Tell Hydro Miharu if he doesn't see this on his own.

Arash

Smash Lord
a combo defined in a fighting game is a series of hits such that if the first one lands, the other hits in the combo are all guaranteed.

for example, drill to shine in melee was a combo since once the drill connected, there was no way to escape the shine.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
You'd probably rapelicate me anyway, let's play today! I think I can later at night and I can probably get 5. Tell Hydro Miharu if he doesn't see this on his own.
Sure, I'll try to fix my internet so I can play a game without a second delay T_T

And Mike is just mad because his friends say my CM is better than his :D

araknophobik

Smash Master
i guess the fate of 818 is up to me :(
lmfao ahahaha
i might sig this

i guess the melee scene died once i was unable to attend tournies?

naw on the real i think i have the next 2 saturday's off so i'll try to make a tourny...whether it be melee or brawl =] i miss mango and joey
yes homo

actually i want to attend an FFA but only as long as theres a kickback after =]

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
^^^^ its true I'm gonna be there.

Speaking of which SD really needs to step it up, even more so than 818 haha. No worries though, we'll get the ball rollin' soon enough

Charoo

Smash Champion
brawl is only entertaining if u have a bunch of people playing together. If u just play 1v1 for like hours then u will instantly get bored for some unknown reason.

I don't seem to have any problem combing people with my falcon/sheik/fox =/

every1 should play whatever they want to play. Brawl or melee or 64.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
at least 818 can go to tournaments, theres like 1 guy in 805 with a working car and valid license, and when his cars full good luck getting anywhere

anyway, I'm open to brawl wens-fri after like 1:30. I'm like 20 mins out of northridge, tell me if you're doing anything and i'll try to come out

also, i can host on fridays if you're willing to drive

aim: SRsuied

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
at least 818 can go to tournaments, theres like 1 guy in 805 with a working car and valid license, and when his cars full good luck getting anywhere

anyway, I'm open to brawl wens-fri after like 1:30. I'm like 20 mins out of northridge, tell me if you're doing anything and i'll try to come out

also, i can host on fridays if you're willing to drive

aim: SRsuied
johns?
805 always makes it out to tournys ho

Top Bottom