• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

7th BEST

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
7th BEST Extreme Smash in Troy

March 31

Important changes/notes:

Schedule: Melee and Brawl will each be starting earlier. See times below.

Prices: Singles are $5, and doubles are $10 per team. These are subject to change depending on attendance and response.

Meta Knight banned: Meta Knight is banned from Brawl singles and teams.

Side events: None announced but possible.

Venue room change: We are in the same building as always, but we are now back on the first floor, in the smaller lounge-like room.

Where:

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Student Union in Troy, NY at the intersection of Sage Ave and 15th St. Go to Google Maps and search for "Rensselaer Union, Troy, NY."

The tournament room is on the first floor, in a room called "Mother's." We'll have signs up directing people there. This room was used for 2nd through 5th BEST.

Google maps image. Most people will probably come from 7/Hoosick St.

Zoomed in plus parking. Greens are definitely free, and parking meters do not charge on weekends.

Building image is how it looks from the intersection of Sage Ave and 15th St.

We can provide housing overnight if necessary. Contact us beforehand or post here.

Prices:

No venue fee
$5 Melee singles
$5 Brawl singles
$10 Melee teams (per team)
$10 Brawl teams (per team)

Payouts:
Singles:
1st - 55%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%
4th - 5%

Doubles:
1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%

Schedule: (subject to change)

Registration for each event will go until the time listed, and then seeding/pool-making starts. Singles will include pools.

9:00am - Venue opens
10:30am - Melee doubles
12:30pm - Melee singles
4:00pm - Brawl doubles
6:00pm - Brawl singles
12:30am - Venue closes

Melee Rules:

- Items off.
- 4 stock, 8 minutes.
- Team attack on.
- Ties are broken by lives then percentage. Percentage ties will replay the match with one stock on the same stage.
- Regular sets are best of 3 matches. Winners finals, losers finals and grand finals sets are best of 5 matches.
- Controller mods are banned.
- Stalling is banned. This includes any excessive use of tactics like rising pound and wall-bombing in order to deliberately delay the match.
- Glitches like the Ice Climbers' freeze glitch and Mewtwo's Soul Stunner are also banned.
- Wobbling is banned.
- Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: The loser cannot pick a stage he or she has won on in the set unless agreed upon by both players. Additionally, if both players agree to play on a banned stage, that stage may be played as well.
- Gentleman's Clause: If the two players agree on a change in a rule, like choosing a banned stage, they are allowed to do so. If there is no agreement, standard rules apply.

Stages:

1v1 Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dreamland
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams

1v1 Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium

2v2 Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dreamland
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Stadium

2v2 Counterpicks:
None

Set format:

1. Blind picks: Both players select characters.
2. Stage striking: Players eliminate stages from the Neutral Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in a 1-2-2-1 order according to controller port number.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat steps 4-8 for all consecutive matches until the set is complete.

Brawl Rules:

- Items off and none.
- 3 stock, 8 minutes.
- Team attack on.
- If time runs out, if either player exceeds 50 ledge grabs, that player receives a loss. Otherwise the winner is determined by stock then percentage. Percentage ties will replay the match with one stock on the same stage.
- If the match ends with both players dying from a suicide kill (such as by Bowser or Ganondorf), the initiator of the move is declared the victor.
- Regular sets are best of 3 matches. Winners finals, losers finals and grand finals sets are best of 5 matches.
- Controller mods are banned. In addition, all people are responsible for their own control scheme/name tag and must make sure it is set before the match begins. Both players must agree to restart a match on account of a controller problem.
- Stalling is banned. Stalling is defined as any action that deliberately avoids all conflict as to make the game unplayable. Running from an opponent to get to a better position is not considered stalling, but using chain grabs infinitely against a wall beyond 300% or using Sonic's Neutral B repeatedly underneath the stage is.
- Meta Knight's infinite Dimensional Cape is banned.
- Scrooging is banned.
- Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: The loser cannot pick a stage he or she has won on in the set unless agreed upon by both players. Additionally, if both players agree to play on a banned stage, that stage may be played as well.
- Gentleman's Clause: If the two players agree on a change in a rule, like choosing a banned stage, they are allowed to do so. If there is no agreement, standard rules apply.

Stages:

Neutrals:
Smashville
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium 1
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Castle Siege
Frigate Orpheon

Set format:

1. Blind picks: Both players select characters.
2. Stage striking: Players eliminate stages from the Neutral Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in a 1-2-2-1 order according to controller port number.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat steps 4-8 for all consecutive matches until the set is complete.

Attendance:

T.O. contact info:
Zaandaa/tiger10x (op)
Name: Adam
AIM: Zaandaa (preferred method of contact)
Cell: 207-649-0605

Calm
Name: Kevin
AIM: point of agony89
Cell: 845-248-6331

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Will come and take money

Edit: need teammate, will be taking first.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Ill team with calm assuming frannie doesn't go. Bailed on him last tournament.

Sharky

Smash Master
@unknown, the last best event had 17 entrants. Ithaca is now attending, which will add another 4ish entrants, and idk if rochester is planning on attending at all. I suppose this would be the estimate unless another region shows interest.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
I honestly don't expect more than 20 Melee at this point because there are unfortunately both Connecticut and NYC tournaments that weekend. There are too many tournaments in Atlantic north and people don't travel enough to care about rescheduling or planning beforehand. I can't reschedule this one, so I'll take the attendance I get.

I think these average around 15 Melee when there are competing tournaments. Add Ithaca and Rochester, and we'd have an okay turnout regardless of New England and tri-state.

Sheck

Smash Cadet
I will almost definitely come. I live in the area and I wanna go to my first real Brawl tourney. I'ma get the **** stomped out of me, but whatever.

huMps

Smash Ace
I'd love to come to one of these tournaments, but I honestly dont think I'll ever have time. It's nine hours of just driving.
Pointless post, but I thought I'd let you guys know that I wish I could come.

Sharky

Smash Master
I'm sure cura would let you spend friday and saturday nights at his place if you wanted to split up the driving

edit: more like 8 hours

andyisjudo

Smash Cadet
Wow this tourney should be good. Sucks that I can't make it D: Good luck to everyone who participates

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
Doing Brawl crews will depend entirely on the people participating. If you're doing draft, that can be set up that day best, and if it's by region, get a better idea of who's playing and even when to do it (before or after).

Sharky

Smash Master
well we had all that set up before, the issue was l-don/bcb came a fair amount later than they said they would, so we didn't have time to do it when we had the chance =/

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
We should just agree to do crews before Brawl starts at like 2:00. Whoever is there at that point gets to participate.

Top Bottom