• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

6-4 Matchup 27: - November 30th, 2013 - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Windrose

Smash Lord
When do you think the tournament will finish this time given this venue sharing problem?

Engo

Smash Ace
Might be a chance to attract new players but it's going to be damn crowded. From what I've seen they have an average attendance of 35-40 at their monthlies . Now thinking about it well have to share crts?that sucks.

:phone:

Jethrotex

Smash Journeyman
When I went to the Brawl tourney to play Melee friendlies, it smelled pretty bad... like not the usual A&C odour, it was advanced odour.

Sanu

Smash Champion
it looks like we're gonna be sharing the venue with brawl this month
Not gonna lie, if that's the case, I think I'm gonna back out. It's going to be way too crowded, and there won't be enough setups for tourney or friendlies... not to mention that it'll be hot as hell and stink like **** too.

No disrespect Ryan (obviously haha), but this is just ****ty.

Engo

Smash Ace
The next melee monthly is looking like it's gonna have a pretty decent attendance as well so we'll be needing all the tv's we can get :/

Also Sanuzi you should come, I have an mm with you and I want to "take your money". That's how trash talking works right?

Sanu

Smash Champion
Nope, sorry Engo, but **** this. I'm not going to waste my time with 4~5 setups and a fire safety code violation.

Have 'fun' people

Bing

Smash Master
Tin you say theres room for 14 setups but two questions

1) Does this include the TV cramped in the corner that no one uses because its stuck beside another setup/table going in another direction

2) Did you check that all the tvs work? Because I know that 1 doesnt 1 is so **** it shouldnt be used. Just wondering

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Oh, it's going to be like that tournament last year in July. Sweat was sticking to my clothes.

Remember that air conditioned room? It was like walking into heaven and finding they had a Melee setup. ****.

unknown522

Some guy
some things to say:

- A&C has 15 CRTs for us to use. There will be enough setups.

- space though, I dunno.

- I'm gonna stick with the schedule that is on the OP.

sauc3

Smash Lord
seperate thread for brawl wtf? how split does our community have to be to function o.O

also i was informed by an unreliable source from the bahamas that this was the 26th, so i foolishly agreed to work every weekend other than the 26th this month so i could make it. Alas, my plan has fallen apart, as this event falls on a weekend that is not the 26th. I shall shamefully adjust my previous request at work and book this weekend off, so I can bring back my rusty, janky claw fox and attempt to **** all the new blood.

TLDR, check the boards for tournament info

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I may be able to come to this, the wedding I have to go to doesn't start until 7 so I'm going to try to convince my parents to bring me here. If I can go I'll have to leave by 5 to get ready, so I'll probably have to drop out if there's an amateur bracket (or if I somehow make it out of pools) lol

If anyone wants to team for dubs knowing I won't be able to stay past five if we make it that far I'm down. I use Mewtwo and Ganondorf mostly, but I also have a Marth.

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
the 26th is anime north which is way more important than work so kurtis come come :)

and i'm guessing you'd be teaming with that unreliable source from the bahamas?

nick did you want to team if you're coming? i'm still trying to arrange it so i can come lol

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Not gonna lie, if that's the case, I think I'm gonna back out. It's going to be way too crowded, and there won't be enough setups for tourney or friendlies... not to mention that it'll be hot as hell and stink like **** too.
This basically.

Sorry Bing.

Hate to flop on this but just no ****ing way am I going to do this with Brawl there too.

Riddlebox

Smash Journeyman
Having enough set-ups also involves having enough space FOR those set-ups; with Chris being there, that means there is going to be a whole corner of the venue that is taken up in terms of TV space. It's already hard enough to fit 3 teams worth of doubles matches in the area we usually have the 3 big T.Vs think about the rest of the space...they aren't spaced out that well at all. If they move the LCDs and we use the other tables they had for food...hell I've even seen that area moved for the brawl tournaments to have TVs, the venue still fit only like 10-12? CRTs...and it was cramped as hell for just one game.

Even with enough CRTS, some of them are **** and that's why they're not used so we'll have to use those as well. (LOL GGS to random seizure causing TV...keep bing away from that one). Both of our games seem to take the whole day to finish regardless of fast paced the matches are so like people are hinting, something isn't going to finish with half the CRTs NEVERMIND the fact that we'd want to live stream both of the games (inb4 fight over livestreamed matches).

It just seems ****ty to have to come to A&C and be forced to A) pay 10$ venue fee (obviously this wasn't an issue before...but we're losing out on everything we had before for the same price); B) be uncomfortably hot/cramped; C) have no room for friendlies (I mean the whole point to the tourney for some people is this since they know they're not making money or placing well.)

Seems like an unfair thing to ask of people (not talking to Ryan cause it seems like this is out of his hands...unless it isn't...if it isn't step up.)

I already said I am not sure if I'm going so I guess my input is moot, but I think those are some of the issues you need to focus on.

Trust me, it'd be interesting and fun to have both communities together again and whatever...but I don't think A&C is the place.

Let us all remember LBT2 and pray `-`

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Having enough set-ups also involves having enough space FOR those set-ups; with Chris being there, that means there is going to be a whole corner of the venue that is taken up in terms of TV space. It's already hard enough to fit 3 teams worth of doubles matches in the area we usually have the 3 big T.Vs think about the rest of the space...they aren't spaced out that well at all. If they move the LCDs and we use the other tables they had for food...hell I've even seen that area moved for the brawl tournaments to have TVs, the venue still fit only like 10-12? CRTs...and it was cramped as hell for just one game.

Even with enough CRTS, some of them are **** and that's why they're not used so we'll have to use those as well. (LOL GGS to random seizure causing TV...keep bing away from that one). Both of our games seem to take the whole day to finish regardless of fast paced the matches are so like people are hinting, something isn't going to finish with half the CRTs NEVERMIND the fact that we'd want to live stream both of the games (inb4 fight over livestreamed matches).

It just seems ****ty to have to come to A&C and be forced to A) pay 10$ venue fee (obviously this wasn't an issue before...but we're losing out on everything we had before for the same price); B) be uncomfortably hot/cramped; C) have no room for friendlies (I mean the whole point to the tourney for some people is this since they know they're not making money or placing well.)

Seems like an unfair thing to ask of people (not talking to Ryan cause it seems like this is out of his hands...unless it isn't...if it isn't step up.)

I already said I am not sure if I'm going so I guess my input is moot, but I think those are some of the issues you need to focus on.

Trust me, it'd be interesting and fun to have both communities together again and whatever...but I don't think A&C is the place.

Let us all remember LBT2 and pray `-`
Again. I've been to tournaments the venue plenty more than most people in the community. I've seen how other fighting games have used the venue. Space wise, there is room for 130 ppl, which we definitely will not have lol. There are two exits to the venue, so there is no fire code violation, especially if we don't have 130 or anything close to it in there.

A stream schedule has already been worked out to accommodate both games. Other fighting game tournaments can do it, so I don't see why we can't.

As far as doubles is concerned, it is usually the case that the doubles entrants are not more than the singles entrants. And combining that with the nature of doubles, then assuming a 30 man tournament, there would be 15 teams. + given your example, if we lose 1 TV for every 3 TV's due to the amount of space doubles takes up, then mathematically we're profiting. Breaking even would be losing 1 out of every 2 TV's. Losing 1 out of every 3 is significantly better.

As far as CRT's go. I know for a fact that there is space for them. A&C improves their venue to accommodate more and more tournaments, since they want their venue to grow as well. And as far as operating TV's. There are plenty of back ups.

Me on Facebook said:
With IMPULSE coming up, the TO's need to prepare. Getting used to working with each other, and getting ready to handle a Melee & Brawl environment. Building this comfort zone at a local would do much better than starting it at a National lol. If we do not try new things, then our tournaments can't grow. This is why I experiment with rulesets, loser pools, etc. I ask that ye have faith!

Riddlebox

Smash Journeyman
Your doubles example...you're more or less forgetting the fact that we have two games going at the same time...? so double the end result of whatever math you have there...I've sat on the floor at our locals because of lack of space (the last one had what 20 entrants?)...you're telling me double to triple the amount of people is going to make this better? I'm not arguing that it can't be done...I'm arguing that it's uncomfortable and ****ing stupid especially when we come to try and enjoy the events not pay to suffer.

How many people have already said they're going to participate in both events too? I've already seen a handful say they will which will raise the number of set ups we need purely because people will enter cause, why not?

From what I've seen at or heard from people at "other fighting game tournaments" especially at A&C the brackets are limited and first come first serve depending on the size of the other tournament going on at the same time.

Also, I'm pretty sure you all are more than ready to handle the environment surrounding both communities...the scale is the problem not experience with them. Both games are pretty much run the same way, and from what I've seen you have separate T.O.s for each game, so any intricacies that would be a problem between both games is covered? I don't really see what the problem is aside from x person not getting along with x person. I don't even think that can possibly happen since you have been having meetings with each other already on skype or w/e. The things that may cause a problem are the non-smash related events.

Mprime

Smash Ace
Oh, it's going to be like that tournament last year in July. Sweat was sticking to my clothes.

Remember that air conditioned room? It was like walking into heaven and finding they had a Melee setup. ****.
Are you talking about that venue where we had both brawl and melee cramped into a small *** room with no AC and to top it off they were grilling burgers all day inside to add to that heat in the middle of summer. Either way, good times

Bing

Smash Master
As much as I don't agree with this, I think we just need to drop the debate. Its happening whether we like it or not, so might aswell accept it.

And too anyone whos flops because its featuring both games. You suck. Except for those who usual flop,its expected.

Jethrotex

Smash Journeyman
Debating is fine as long as people argue valid points, which is the case. It helps to stimulate the mind and voice an opinion on a subject that may or may not be to one's liking (lol).

Anyways, I think the main problem is the fact that we were all looking forward to the tourney as there seemed to be a potential for a big Melee turn out where everyone could practice up before Impluse. It seems as though Brawl was randomly thrown into the mix without any form of discussion, maybe if we would have been able to have a say in it, which would have most likely lessened the aggravation but still result in people's disinterest, it wouldn't feel as though they were intruding. If you look at the people who are mad about this, it's mainly Melee players since the date was already set for Melee.

I don't think the venue it really that well equipped to handle two full tourneys, regardless of it doing so before. Even the 45 man tourney we had a little bit ago was slightly crowed and sweaty, and although it will work, it may be uncomfortable and not conducive in allowing people to pay to their full potential.

Regardless, I'm still coming since I want to practice as much as I can, but I don't think this situation was handled well.

Top Bottom