• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5 characters who never should have been in the Smash Bros series.

homsar

Smash Ace
To all those doubting pichu. He was designed to be a challenge for people to win with. And clearly you all have never faced a half decent pichu player because his speed/size can make him a force not be reckoned with (not agaisnt like fox/shiek but thats due to melees balance issues.

Also, Lucario made it in because he is possibly the most popular pokemon now (behind pikachu) keeping in mind the majority of pokemon fans are 10 year olds who didn't grow up with mewtwo. And frankly, he plays better then mewtwo.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
4. I don't buy the whole re-skin thing.
There was an interview yeeeeeeeears back where they explained why Ganon was a clone of Falcon, saying that he was cut but then had some time, they made a few slight alterations to some existing ones to squeeze a few last characters in and noticed that the discarded Gannondorf's wireframe/body looked a lot like Captain Falcon. They also said that they made Pichu as a joke, making some comment about someone being really good with him in Australia or something. I really wish I could find that interview again :(

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Mewtwo, Raichu, (insert legendary here), Clefairy iirc...
Raichu would be awesome. That's been my favorite electric type Pokémon since the release of Pokémon.

For me, I think the idea of having Young Link and Toon Link were just a waste of space. It's like Nintendo wanted to show off the different versions of Link, but the Link characters have always acted the same. Why not do the same for the other characters? There's really got to be an explanation for this. I really don't care about R.O.B.'s inclusion, either, though people will tell me about R.O.B. from the NES days, and that he was also in some recent games. I guess it makes sense, though, since there's Mr. Game & Watch.

Like some other people mentioned, having Dr. Mario and Pichu were also a waste of space. If Nintendo wants to show off the different perspectives of each character, they may as well do the same for every character in the game. Dr. Mario was cool, though. I did enjoy messing around with him than I did with Mario. There was something different about him that I can't put my finger on at the moment. I just think some other classical characters could've made it into one of the games like Simon Belmont.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Ice Climbers (I find them to be really annoying...), Jigglupuff (Pikachu was enough to represent a popular 1st gen Pokemon), Olimar, Diddy Kong, and Toon Link (no "clones" needed).

Smash Ace
1/2/3: Marth/Fox/Shiek: because everyone uses them in Melee OMG TIRES DON EXITS!
4: Peach: because she doesn't fight in the games she's in (see also: 1/2/3)
5: Meta-Knight: because he broke Brawl.

personally, the only actual character that I saw as slightly redundant was Young Link/ToonLink, and Pichu. To be honest though, I could care less who they put in, except no more 3rd-party characters.

=2007=

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Umm, I like Olimar. Pikmin was an awesome game, and there was a high demand for Olimar to be in Brawl.

I would not mind Toon Link so much if he had original moves, such as making his Up B the Deku Leaf, and his grab the grappling hook instead of the hookshot.

We did not really NEED Lucario either, as he was added just to represent current Pokemon games, and is basically a clone of Mewtwo. His High Damage/More Power thing is kinda cool though.

If I could say one character it would be Pichu. But that's just because I didn't like the character. I can kind of forgive all the clone characters in Melee, just because there were so many of them, and a lot of them were still fun to play as... Just not as imaginative as other characters.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
1.Pichu: I have always been a Pokemon fan, but Pichu's appearance in Melee confuses me to this day. First off, I think the only reason he was included was to promote the anime. Second, his moves hurt him!!! Overall, I believe him to be a useless character, and I'm glad he was taken out of brawl.
While I agree he was overkill on the pikachu representation, the fact that he's a horrible character isn't at all related to whether he should appear in-game.

2. Ice Climbers: When melee was released on a worldwide scale, I'd dare you to find 1,000 people who knew who the hell these two were. IMO, Ice Climber was a piece of crap, and although I understand where they were getting at, by trying to add a retro character to the mix, but seriously, even the ducks from Duck Hunt would have made more since.
Retro characters generally aren't particularly well remembered, especially by the current generation of gamers. They're more a shout-out for the older generation to gain more inclusivity.

Seriously, like G&W the entire point is that they're not current.

3. Roy: *Raises flame shield*. Now hear me out. What was the point of Roy? To promote his new game? Fair point, but keep in mind that this was a JAPAN-ONLY game. While, I'm glad that he and Marth brought Fire EMblem to our shores, I still scratch my head over Roy's appearance.
*facepalm*

Ok, let me explain this slowly.

Smash is a JAPANESE game. Not American, Japanese.

As far as Nintendo is concerned, the core audience is over the pacific Ocean, and they're developing the game primarily for that audience. Not us.

Sure, they probably intended to translate melee, and sell it in the US even initially, but still the fact that it sells well in the US is just a nice bonus, we're not the primary audience, so while if they know that Americans like a character they'll consider that, there's definitely a very Japan-centric attitude among Japanese businesses, so as far as they're concerned the Japanese opinion carries a right deal more weight.

America is not the center of the universe, what JAPANESE gaming companies are primarily concerned with is what will belp them sell stuff to Japanese people.

Roy is an interesting character and they believed it would help them sell product in Japan, so he was included.

4. R.O.B.: *Raises yet another flame shield*. Hear me out again, please. When I first found out ROB was going to be in the game, I was amused; An old NES accessory as a character? Hilarious. While ROB's a decent character, his inclusion makes about as much sense as adding the zapper as a character.
Again, retro appeal. The fact that he's an accesory just makes him more unique, but the biggest reason was probably because he was easy to fit into subspace emissary as a random baddy but still make a character.

5.Jigglypuff: Now Jigglypuff has been around since the SSB64, but IMO, she was
also added to the popularity of the Pokemon anime. If the anime never existed, do you think that she would still be playable? Probably not.
Feel free to add your own picks for 5 characters that should never have been in the Smash Bros series.
Again, Japan-centric. Jiggs is immensely popular in Japan and probably will stay for a long long time.

As for the "only the anime" excuse, so what? It's part of the pokemon universe. Do you really think japanese executives were trying to figure out why characters were extremely popular when they were picking the cast?

No, they just chose popular characters for the ones they based on popularity.

I would not mind Toon Link so much if he had original moves, such as making his Up B the Deku Leaf, and his grab the grappling hook instead of the hookshot.
Actually he's probably one of the worst character choices because regular Link is already representing all Links.

We did not really NEED Lucario either, as he was added just to represent current Pokemon games, and is basically a clone of Mewtwo. His High Damage/More Power thing is kinda cool though.
Lucario is highly popular and he represents the current generation of pokemon games. Really, Blame Gamefreak for that choice, the pressured Nintendo to do a current-gen rep.

Olimar: I understand the fact Nintendo doesn't have many games right now that are completely original, but why Olimar? Was he the absolute closest thing to something that would fit into Smash? Whatever the reason, I still see him as absolutely riduculous.
And your argument is, where?

You keep saying and implying that he doesn't fit into smash but you never explained why.

Lucario: Really maddened me when I saw he was in. Not only is he a poor replacement to another -coughmewtwocough- Pokemon, but the fact he was used to advertise the 4th generation of Pokemon is horrible for me. I hate 4th gen.
He's very popular and results in a unique character, there's your qualification right there.

Dude, no corporation cares about you personally. The fact that you dislike the 4th gen pokemon means nothing in regards whether or not a character belongs in smash. They already have a massive bias towards first gen in the playable characters in this game, why should they not have a 4th gen pokemon? Especially since it's new pokemon that they're mainly trying to move.

Wolf: Falco and Fox are cool, but even though Wolf is pretty cool himself, I don't like him. Just one of those 'I hate that character...'
This is "characters that shouldn't be in smash", not characters you hate personally. Your personal hatred means nothing.

Pit: The voice, and it's neat to see a character like him in Smash...but he's just so annoying.
... again, you personally dislike something about him therefore he should be gone.

This is characters who should not be in the game, your personal vendettas against characters mean nothing.

I can't even think of a fifth character, all the other ones mentioned are cool in my book, especially the Doc, Ice Climbers, (grew up playing that game) and Pichu. You gotta love them.
While I love doctor mario and pichu as characters, they both represent way too much centralization on certain characters, Mario and Pikachu respectively. They were unnecessary.

ICs are cool for this.

Wario (He sucks)
*sigh*

Wario is an interesting and unique character, and is also highly popular. Why for the love of God should he be removed?

Any Marth or Roy
Both are eligible for essentially the same reason, but your inclusion of Marth is far more egregious.

This is a Japanese series, not American. Roy was a hyped character when melee came out, and Marth is an absolute icon.

Removing Marth, to Japanese gamers, is like removing Mario.

America is not the only country in the world.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Ics is one of the most unique characters in fighting game history. Pointless? Innovative is the correct term.

also, For those bawing about Roy

They weren't even going to add Marth or Roy to the american version lol

Infact, they were just going to add two different characters, just for the fact that they were part of a japanese only game, but they decided over it. So you could of had two less amazing characters, like Marth and Roy.

NOHK

Smash Apprentice
While I agree he was overkill on the pikachu representation, the fact that he's a horrible character isn't at all related to whether he should appear in-game.

Retro characters generally aren't particularly well remembered, especially by the current generation of gamers. They're more a shout-out for the older generation to gain more inclusivity.

Seriously, like G&W the entire point is that they're not current.

*facepalm*

Ok, let me explain this slowly.

Smash is a JAPANESE game. Not American, Japanese.

As far as Nintendo is concerned, the core audience is over the pacific Ocean, and they're developing the game primarily for that audience. Not us.

Sure, they probably intended to translate melee, and sell it in the US even initially, but still the fact that it sells well in the US is just a nice bonus, we're not the primary audience, so while if they know that Americans like a character they'll consider that, there's definitely a very Japan-centric attitude among Japanese businesses, so as far as they're concerned the Japanese opinion carries a right deal more weight.

America is not the center of the universe, what JAPANESE gaming companies are primarily concerned with is what will belp them sell stuff to Japanese people.

Roy is an interesting character and they believed it would help them sell product in Japan, so he was included.

Again, retro appeal. The fact that he's an accesory just makes him more unique, but the biggest reason was probably because he was easy to fit into subspace emissary as a random baddy but still make a character.

Again, Japan-centric. Jiggs is immensely popular in Japan and probably will stay for a long long time.

As for the "only the anime" excuse, so what? It's part of the pokemon universe. Do you really think japanese executives were trying to figure out why characters were extremely popular when they were picking the cast?

No, they just chose popular characters for the ones they based on popularity.

Actually he's probably one of the worst character choices because regular Link is already representing all Links.

Lucario is highly popular and he represents the current generation of pokemon games. Really, Blame Gamefreak for that choice, the pressured Nintendo to do a current-gen rep.

And your argument is, where?

You keep saying and implying that he doesn't fit into smash but you never explained why.

He's very popular and results in a unique character, there's your qualification right there.

Dude, no corporation cares about you personally. The fact that you dislike the 4th gen pokemon means nothing in regards whether or not a character belongs in smash. They already have a massive bias towards first gen in the playable characters in this game, why should they not have a 4th gen pokemon? Especially since it's new pokemon that they're mainly trying to move.

This is "characters that shouldn't be in smash", not characters you hate personally. Your personal hatred means nothing.

... again, you personally dislike something about him therefore he should be gone.

This is characters who should not be in the game, your personal vendettas against characters mean nothing.

While I love doctor mario and pichu as characters, they both represent way too much centralization on certain characters, Mario and Pikachu respectively. They were unnecessary.

ICs are cool for this.

*sigh*

Wario is an interesting and unique character, and is also highly popular. Why for the love of God should he be removed?

Both are eligible for essentially the same reason, but your inclusion of Marth is far more egregious.

This is a Japanese series, not American. Roy was a hyped character when melee came out, and Marth is an absolute icon.

Removing Marth, to Japanese gamers, is like removing Mario.

America is not the only country in the world.

i dont even play brawl and i agree with everything this gentleman/woman has said. and as of this far in the thread i have seen not "why they dont belong" but more "why i hate to play against/with them" which is not the same thing. If they have an "annoying playstyle to play against, get better. Thats all that needs to be said, not johns on how thy dont belong because you've never played thier orignal game or think they look/sound funny.

*runs back to melee boards*

MagicJosh

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I never thought
"gee I really wish he/she wasn't in this game" rather I would just say "It would've been nice if _______ made it in, but oh well."

I would go
"I really wanted mewtwo to be in there with lucario"
Before I went
"I really wanted Mewtwo to make it INSTEAD of lucario

Game & Pikachu

Smash Rookie
I agree with you on the whole Ice Climbers thing.
I think Sonic should have been left out. He was only included to show the "Nintendo-Sega new BFF" thing.
I think Waluigi should have replaced him.
Other crap characters include: Jigglypuff, Craptain Falcon and Ganondorf.

~Simple~

Smash Cadet
Brawling with my awesome lizard friends who have r
3. Roy: *Raises flame shield*. Now hear me out. What was the point of Roy? To promote his new game? Fair point, but keep in mind that this was a JAPAN-ONLY game. While, I'm glad that he and Marth brought Fire EMblem to our shores, I still scratch my head over Roy's appearance.
Oh Hell no. Roy is mai boi. Can't take away that and along with the fire sword he kicks ***.

My list:
1: Dr. Mario
2: Pichu
3: Jigglypuff
4: Toon Link
5: Sonic

M15t3R E

Smash Master
The retro characters like Ice Climbers, Pit, and Mr. G&W didn't need to find their way into the smash series. And I agree about ROB. That was a total WTF addition to brawl.
The inclusion of Wolf was just plain gratuitous. Meta Knight was unnecessary too, and clearly the game would have been better without him. <_<

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
He was simply a quick reskin+slight remodel when they had time to add a few quick clones in.

Ice Climber was a brilliant game. And if you're simply thinking that they're stupid because they're old, where's Mr GAW in your list? IC's bring a new and unique fighting style. No other game AFAIK has had a fighter quite like them.

Again, just another quick reskin when they had time. When making them probably just thought "Well how about another fire emblem character? Marth would be pretty eassy to clonse" "Hey, what about that new game? Be pretty cool to play as a guy from there before it comes out!"

He makes perfect sense from the SSE story, and it's not suprising since he's been in the last two Mario Karts. You have to keep in mind that R.O.B. pretty much saved videogames after the Great Videogame crash in the 80's, and no I'm not joking.

You could use that exact argument for Pikachu being in. If it wasn't for the anime, it'd probably have been Squirtle or something.

EDIT:

He was HUGE and has been in more games than Mario (Hell, some of his games included Mario, even Zelda) and was a huge boom to the start of gaming, coming into existence three years before the NES. Game and Watches lasted 11 years, from 1980 to 1991, the longest reign of any console ever.

Also, inb4 "inb4metaknight"
Took the words right out of my mouth.

DR. MARIO (Worst clonez)
Dr. Mario actually plays very differently from regular Mario if you ask me...I can play Dr. Mario, but not Mario. One more reason to

Play Melee.

1-5: Pit: Just because of his voice. Nails on a chalkboard.
At least we didn't get the Japanese voice. =P

NANANANANANANANANANA

I mean, having characters in to boost the popularity and awareness of their games is a great idea. If they're unique, there's obviously a reason. Jigglypuff is just because it's a popular Pokemon. I'll admit I don't understand the reason for Pichu's inclusion, but whatever.
Yes. If it weren't for Smash, I probably never would've tried...

-Metroid
-Zelda
-Kirby
-Star Fox (Well, not extensively anyways)
-Fire Emblem
-(Once I can get my hands on it for a reasonable price) Earthbound

It seems like cheap advertising, and it sort of is, but Nintendo has some AMAZING franchises. Advertising them gives Nintendo money and it gives you some amazing experiences with the games.

Sorry for generalizing, I really like his games, but in Brawl he's too dam* annoying.
Yes. He has a fart attack. I cannot stand that fact.

So, I must gtfo for expressing my opinion?
Uh...

This.

Kita isnt it obvious?
Lucario is like one of the most popular pokemon, only behind the likes of pikachu, mewtwo and jigglypuff. If he wasnt added, who else would they add from 2nd gen and beyond? a lot of time passed since melee was made, can you think of any newly introduced pokemon since then that is more popular?
Gardevoir...? Blaziken? Hell, I know it's stupid but Mudkip (it IS well-known...)? I'm pretty sure they're popular enough to justify a spot.

Lucario was the best choice for the company, I don't deny that. But he's not the only good choice, and he's certainly not the best for Pokemon fans (not the 5-year-olds, at least).

I think Roy did deserve to be in Melee. Correct me if I'm wrong but Lucas's game was japan only, wasn't it?
Yeah...complain about Roy as much as you want, but Mother 3 is Japan-only. Only Mother fanatics can actually play a copy, because they either have to import it and try and read the dialogue, or use the translation.

Meta Knight was unnecessary too, and clearly the game would have been better without him. <_<
No one likes Meta Knight in Brawl, but he's a very important Kirby character, he's been there since the first game, and I'm pretty sure he's rather well-liked. I liked him a lot until he became such an annoyance.

Also, in regards to ANY Jigglypuff hate:

I have a Jigglypuff that can ****ing Flamethrower your ***. Don't complain about it having a spot. =P

Nicole

Smash Champion
Lucario, Pichu, Wolf/Falco (whichever, they are both Fox clones in my humble opinion, plus...the Star Fox series hasn't been good since N64), and Toon Link (and Young Link in Melee) are all pretty unnecessary. They could've gotten a greater variety of characters.

And Ice Climbers SO deserve to be in.

DSP

Smash Apprentice
Falco could've been left out, only Fox and Wolf in Melee would have been the best choice. 3 space furries are too much.
Ike seems kinda pressed in because CURRENT FIRE EMBLEM ADVERTISEMENT LOL, but if I recall correctly, he's a pretty popular Emblem Lord in Japan, so whatever.
Pichu was pretty unnecessary, but cute.
Lucario just doesn't have the charm of the old Pokémon. Everything after 2nd gen, even stuff from the 2nd gen is just forced and charmless. Mewtwo FTW.
And I swear, Sakurai should have just left Link out. He's just his personal punching bag.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
LUCARIO is NOT a clone of MEWTWO!! Goodness, people. It's like saying Ike is a clone of Roy.

DSP

Smash Apprentice
LUCARIO is NOT a clone of MEWTWO!! Goodness, people. It's like saying Ike is a clone of Roy.
Well, you're right of course, the only similarity is the Neutral B. But one Pokémon with a kinda human shaped got kicked out, and another one came in. Lucario replaced Mewtwo like Ike replaced Roy. And he does an awful job at that. He's furry and a couple dozen times gayer than Mewtwo. Is he even a legendary? Because I think he evolves from some stupid baby furry Pokémon, and legendaries don't evolve because they're that awesome, unlike Lucario.
/inexplicablerage

Lock-On

Smash Rookie
Personally i would only take out Pichu. I Tried to main him in Melee just because noone else i knew was but it was just not worth it...I just saw him added in because Melee came out around the time baby pokemon were making a splash in the Pokemon world..just a mindless plug of a character IMO

kr3wman

Smash Master
Stop spamming please.

Lulz, ''spamming'' is a word. I wonder how. Maybe because of TOO MUCH SPAM.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I agree with you on the whole Ice Climbers thing.
I think Sonic should have been left out. He was only included to show the "Nintendo-Sega new BFF" thing.
I think Waluigi should have replaced him.
Other crap characters include: Jigglypuff, Craptain Falcon and Ganondorf.
Waluigi is worse than Sonic in every possible way. I don't even think he deserves to be an Assist Trophy. Maybe if he played a role in a main Mario and/or Wario game, he'd be worthy, but right now, he's still more worthless than Pichu in Melee, and that's saying something.

The only problem with Sonic is his poor move list(including his broken Final Smash).

Jigglypuff is awesome, and I would never replace her. I admit, her Final Smash using the anime Marker/Microphone would've been cooler, but whatever.

Captain Falcon and Ganondorf definately deserved to be in, and instead of say...Falco again, another F-Zero rep would've been better. TP version of Sheik wasn't really needed, either. Like Sonic, Toon Link's only problem is his moveset. As for his Final Smash, the best I can think of is a variation of his final blow in Wind Waker. I won't explain it, since it's spoilers. Other than Ganondorf lacking better represented moves in Brawl, he's fine.(he worked out fine in Melee since he played just right)

LightAlchemist

Smash Apprentice
Well, actually Ice climber is a really fun player (i dont use it myself) with a lot of potential, involving chaingrabs and being able to control both separatedly.

My worst 5 (from brawl) Would be:

.Wolf
As you said, there just too many Fox series creatures, with fox is enough, and falco is more than enough as the three are really alike.

.Mr. game and watch
I really dont see anyone maining him, he just seems to be a fun-to-play character (i dont fine anything fun about that... thing.... ridiculous moves and smash. I mean.... an octopus?!)

.Wario
Another one which i dont see any mains, just casuall playing to ride a bike and thats all. Though, hes clothes are cool xD

.Ganondorf
They did not only keep it from melee, but they nerfed it even more, for some reason. Really, someone in the staff must hate him. He is now fat, old, and slower. I mean, his sword is pink now, WTF. Useless character at this point.

Now this is a hard one... if you had said 4 i would be ok... but for a fith im between...

.Peach
ITs mainable, i know, but i just dont see any potential in her

.Diddy kong
Maybe im going to far

.Dedede
I probably went to far xD

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Not reading all 5 pages of this thing, I just saw the thread. Just stating my responses to all of the OP's opinions. I have to give him he doesn't hate on G&W. Anyway...

1.Pichu: I have always been a Pokemon fan, but Pichu's appearance in Melee confuses me to this day. First off, I think the only reason he was included was to promote the anime. Second, his moves hurt him!!! Overall, I believe him to be a useless character, and I'm glad he was taken out of brawl.
Pichu represented the 2nd Generation of Pokemon, which was actual at the time of Melee's release. Also, Pichu was INTENDED to be bad. He was bad on purpose. A joke character. Sakurai himself said it in some interview.

2. Ice Climbers: When melee was released on a worldwide scale, I'd dare you to find 1,000 people who knew who the hell these two were. IMO, Ice Climber was a piece of crap, and although I understand where they were getting at, by trying to add a retro character to the mix, but seriously, even the ducks from Duck Hunt would have made more since.
How so? You thinking Ice Climber as a bad game is your own opinion, I loved it when I was a kid. Ice Climber was one of Nintendo's best selling games for the NES, and it was perfect for representing Nintendo's history because many people actually playing the games remembered them. It was a pleasant surprise when I saw the Ice Climbers in Melee, I nearly cried in joy (which I, by the way, really did when I unlocked Mr. Game & Watch).

Yes, he was in there to ad for the Fire Emblem game which was released shortly after Melee in Japan, FE: Blazing Sword. The game never made it outside of Japan, but Melee was, creating something I like to call the "Fire Emblem in Smash effect". Western gamers outside of the nerds like me who knew the games before and played fan-translated patches started to become interested in the series. Without Melee, the Fire Emblem games for the GBA and Ike's arc would've never had as many sales as they would've done without the inclusion in Smash. So in the end, Roy's inclusion was a promotion for the new Fire Emblem in Japan, but for Fire Emblem in general for everyone outside of it.
Honestly, out of all Melee characters I saw Roy to get the boot first, and then Pichu.

4. R.O.B.: *Raises yet another flame shield*. Hear me out again, please. When I first found out ROB was going to be in the game, I was amused; An old NES accessory as a character? Hilarious. While ROB's a decent character, his inclusion makes about as much sense as adding the zapper as a character.
R.O.B. has without any debate a unique moveset. I couldn't think of any character who could get a similar moveset to him. Also, he is a great character on itself, and I was insanely happy to see him as a character in Brawl when he was announced. I lost my own ROB due to my move to another city, and am still mourning about it, although it's 3 years ago. The little guy was what made Nintendo big in the States, otherwise we probably would have waited till at least the Super Famicom to come out and be successful in the USA (and Europe). ROB was a great marketing trick, and I like the fact that Nintendo has been recognizing him a lot lately. He is a great addition and is symbol of the, if you want so, representation of Nintendo going outside of Japan and becoming successful, reviving the video game market in the USA.

5.Jigglypuff: Now Jigglypuff has been around since the SSB64, but IMO, she was
also added to the popularity of the Pokemon anime. If the anime never existed, do you think that she would still be playable? Probably not.
Feel free to add your own picks for 5 characters that should never have been in the Smash Bros series.
SSB64 never was intended to be released outside of Japan. It was, though, due to the enormous success of it. So they tried to release it in the USA, which was a great success. Now, of course, if you take the roster of SSB64 and look at it, you'll notice that it actually aims towards the Japanese audience. Not only the statement of Nintendo themselves, but also the fact that Ness and Jiggs are included.
The MOTHER series is very popular in Japan, so they took the more recent character from the series - Ness from MOTHER 2 - and put him into Smash 64.
The 2 biggest Nintendo franchises at the time (and still) - Mario and Pokemon - would get 2 characters instead of one. This ended with us having Mario and Luigi, and Pikachu and Jigglypuff. The Anime was a great factor for deciding whom to put in from the franchise, because the anime was insanely successful and Pikachu and Jigglypuff - the two best known Pokemon at the time - were included because of their popularity. In Japan.

See, there's plenty of reasons to include these characters.

I even came to realize how characters like Toon Link and Zero Suit Samus make sense to be included, and from the Brawl roster, I pretty much came to recognize and accept every character.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
1. Lucas.

Do we really need him?
Lucas probably is, more than anything else, a tribute to the MOTHER series, which found its end with the third installment - and Lucas as protagonist.

I don't know whether they will keep Lucas around in Smash, but due to his different moveset to Ness, I don't really see him going anywhere so fast.

Frown

poekmon
Lucas probably is, more than anything else, a tribute to the MOTHER series, which found its end with the third installment - and Lucas as protagonist.

I don't know whether they will keep Lucas around in Smash, but due to his different moveset to Ness, I don't really see him going anywhere so fast.
Ness is like a Marth to the Mother series. If characters are getting cut in the next game, it will be recent ones like Lucas, Ike and Lucario.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Waluigi is worse than Sonic in every possible way. I don't even think he deserves to be an Assist Trophy. Maybe if he played a role in a main Mario and/or Wario game, he'd be worthy, but right now, he's still more worthless than Pichu in Melee, and that's saying something.
I'm tempted to sig this. Waluigi is a doubles partner (tennis). Anything more and you're just ********.

POKE40

Smash Lord
.Mr. game and watch
I really dont see anyone maining him, he just seems to be a fun-to-play character (i dont fine anything fun about that... thing.... ridiculous moves and smash. I mean.... an octopus?!)
What?! T_T
lol, there is Hylian. *edit*wait... he mains samus?

On topic:
I'd say Pichu, and thats bout it.
perhaps ROB

This topic seems to not fit in this board lol.
The forums needs to have a Smash Bros series General Discussion Board..
Although the problem would be: Brawl vs. Melee topics and Super Smash 4 fantasy junk... so nvm lol

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Ness is like a Marth to the Mother series. If characters are getting cut in the next game, it will be recent ones like Lucas, Ike and Lucario.
lol. I hear ya. I'm just saying that Lucas is - probably - a tribute to MOTHER 3, the last game of that (in Japan, again) popular RPG series by Nintendo. I do agree that the probability of a character being cut is higher if they aren't some "landmark" of Nintendo's history.

I'm tempted to sig this. Waluigi is a doubles partner (tennis). Anything more and you're just ********.
I don't know, coming to think of it, Waluigi does have some stuff speaking for him. He is the only character ever to NEVER appear outside of a spin-off game. Daisy did it (Super Mario Land, where she originated). Waluigi didn't. He was the main antagonist of the Mario DDR game, and has been in practically every Mario Spin-Off game since Mario Tennis for the N64. Alongside with Daisy, who had a few appearances after Super Mario Land, with - I think - Mario's Golf for the NES being the last one. She would suddenly reappear on the N64.

If you want, Waluigi (and Daisy, too) is the personification of the Mario Spin-Off games.
Of course, I'd never take him over Bowser Jr. or so, but I still don't think he's worthless.

Top Bottom