• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5 characters who never should have been in the Smash Bros series.

justaway12

Smash Master
Considering the fact that Pokemon has the biggest pool of potential fighters to choose from, and is also Nintendo's biggest money-maker, I'd say that six characters is fair enough.

Pokemon Trainer was one of the most deserved Brawl newcomers. He's the original (albeit redesigned) protagonist of the Pokemon series.
:goomba: Pretty sure Mario is the biggest money-maker, actually Super Mario Bros. is the second best selling game behind Wii sports...but i'm almost positive Pokemon is second. :goomba:

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
Isn't Smash Nintendo's biggest money maker? Anyways, Pokemon weren't even made by Nintendo, they just licensed the games. Sadly, money decides things like this.

Anyways, for my 5.

1. Marth
2. Roy
3. Ike
**** all of them, I've no idea who they are and they don't fit well with Smash

4. ROB, he's a fun character and I don't have anything against him, but he really doesn't deserve it over guys like King K. Rool and Bomberman.

5. I can't think of any. I like all smash characters, really. I don't even think any of these characters shouldn't have been in, they just shouldn't have been in before legends like King K. Rool, get me?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Smash is in Nintendo's Top 10.

Noone will ever be able to beat the best selling franchise of the world - yet alone Nintendo - from its position. And that is Mario.

Serph

Smash Journeyman
:goomba: Pretty sure Mario is the biggest money-maker, actually Super Mario Bros. is the second best selling game behind Wii sports...but i'm almost positive Pokemon is second. :goomba:
At one point, sure. But right now Pokemon makes more money for Nintendo than Mario does.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
Smash is in Nintendo's Top 10.

Noone will ever be able to beat the best selling franchise of the world - yet alone Nintendo - from its position. And that is Mario.
Well obviously, Mario is like the Michael Jordan of video games, but if we're talking recently, Galaxy sold like ****ing hotcakes and smash did as well, idk much about pokemon because I don't play handheld games.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
At one point, sure. But right now Pokemon makes more money for Nintendo than Mario does.
It sucks that that influences it so much. It sucks for us intelligent people that money decides things like this. Soon enough, Smash will be filled with crap characters such as final fantasy/kingdom hearts characters, Naruto and Miley ****ing Cyrus because people are idiots, life lesson 1

The_Rake

Smash Lord
pokemon games are far more prestigeous than half of the mario games that come out. Everyone makes a huge fuss everytime a new pokemon game(s) comes out. each generation gives us 4 new games (minimum) over 2 platforms, maybe more.
Which mario games do people make the biggest hype over? Mario Kart is definetly one of nintendo's flagship series. The main mario games (originally the 2d but now the 3d ones) are of course big sellers.
I find it easier to believe that pokemon games are bigger money makes for nintendo.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
pokemon games are far more prestigeous than half of the mario games that come out. Everyone makes a huge fuss everytime a new pokemon game(s) comes out. each generation gives us 4 new games (minimum) over 2 platforms, maybe more.
Which mario games do people make the biggest hype over? Mario Kart is definetly one of nintendo's flagship series. The main mario games (originally the 2d but now the 3d ones) are of course big sellers.
I find it easier to believe that pokemon games are bigger money makes for nintendo.
Which amounts to what..50 pokemon games that are all the same ****ing game. As I said, people are idiots. Galaxy sold like crazy as well, but pokemon probably makes more because people are dumb enough to buy the same game every 5 months while a timeless classic like Galaxy or 64 actually takes time to make.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think it's fair to say that both Mario and Pokemon have made bajillions of dollars for Nintendo.

Clearly, Pokemon games are not ground-breaking, but it's a familiar formula that keeps players coming back. And Darknid, I wouldn't say all Mario games are prestigious. Hotel Mario, anyone?

The_Rake

Smash Lord
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think it's fair to say that both Mario and Pokemon have made bajillions of dollars for Nintendo.

Clearly, Pokemon games are not ground-breaking, but it's a familiar formula that keeps players coming back. And Darknid, I wouldn't say all Mario games are prestigious. Hotel Mario, anyone?
They're obviously not groundbreaking anymore, but its not just the old stuff that keeps people coming back for pokemon, its the new things too like double battling (when it was new it was awsome and its been improved on in colosseum and diamond/pearl)
I really can't think of any new ways to improve on pokemon except for making the main character a part of one of the evil organisations, I don't mean like how The main character from colossuem left team snagem and caught evil pokemon to make them good, rather that its someone bad who steals actual trainers pokemon for his own gain or for the organisation.

I havn't played galaxy myself so I can't comment on how much that has expanded on the usual 3d marios but 64 and sunchine were pretty decent games (64 moreso)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I would like to clarify that while I do like these chars, I think they have really unusual reasons for coming into smash:
1. Loltwo: Honestly, Mewtwo was frankly garbage. I loved doing dtilts -> fair juggles, but he should've been a lot better for respect to his power.
2. Roy: Awesome, but frankly, not much ground to cover, promoting a new game is justifiable, but it is good reason also why he didn't stay (for all those pointing out marth, he's old school material, sort of paying homage to the series, and Ike I guess is due to him being the first non-portable console game coming to the U.S., as well as holding a newly promoted game)
3. Lucario: Yes, I absolutely adore playing this guy, but why he got in besides becoming a poster boy for pokemon 8 (is that the #?) is beyond my comprehension.
4.DDD: This one is more of a hate crime. Too many Kirby chars, one of them pathetic, and I think Sakurai likes to listen to his own voice while "playing with himself". I do have to say, he is a unique character in the sense that he contains decent aerial mobility with a heavy frame.
5. Falco/Wolf: I'm still struggling who to get rid of, but I'm now kind of leaning towards falco because of meh voice, very heavy CG/dthrow game (if he can't CG, it'll be dthrow -> SH dair/nair), plus seems to have slightly less "voice" in his cameo storyline as opposed to wolf, plus I like the idea of a bit more of a more radical metagame.

fissionprime

Smash Apprentice
personally i think that toon link, lucario, doc. mario, and pichu should never have made the cut. Toon link is just a different version of normal link (even though they are different incarnations of link), same thing with doctor mario, pichu was a totally unnecessary clone that there was no reason for. And with lucario, even though i enjoy playing as him, pokemon has enough representation, and there was no reason to pseudo-replace mewtwo with lucario.

The_Rake

Smash Lord
I don't get why doctor mario wasn't just an alternative costume for mario, like warios wario ware and original costume.
Pichu totally shouldn't have been in
I quite like toon link, i hated young link in melee though. The thing with toon link is he's not just another incarnation of link (he's technically 3 or even 4 compared to the 2 that link is) but he's also a completely different style of link if you get what i mean. I am talking mainly about the look/build of him. This link is younger than the other, much smaller and more agile as a result. Admittedly there is only minor change to his move list and this really could have been changed more.

As a side not the incarnatons i was refering to are
link: TP and Dark
TLink: WW/PH, 4 sword (adventures)/Dark and the original

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
I have been a die-hard fan of the Smash Bros series since 2002 when my mom bought me an N64 W/ SSB64 and Super Mario 64. Over the years, I played Melee and Brawl too. But the some of the characters in the games seemed pointless to me. Here are my 5 picks for characters who never should have been in the Smash Bros. series. Note that some were omitted from Brawl.

1.Pichu: I have always been a Pokemon fan, but Pichu's appearance in Melee confuses me to this day. First off, I think the only reason he was included was to promote the anime. Second, his moves hurt him!!! Overall, I believe him to be a useless character, and I'm glad he was taken out of brawl.

2. Ice Climbers: When melee was released on a worldwide scale, I'd dare you to find 1,000 people who knew who the hell these two were. IMO, Ice Climber was a piece of crap, and although I understand where they were getting at, by trying to add a retro character to the mix, but seriously, even the ducks from Duck Hunt would have made more since.

3. Roy: *Raises flame shield*. Now hear me out. What was the point of Roy? To promote his new game? Fair point, but keep in mind that this was a JAPAN-ONLY game. While, I'm glad that he and Marth brought Fire EMblem to our shores, I still scratch my head over Roy's appearance.

4. R.O.B.: *Raises yet another flame shield*. Hear me out again, please. When I first found out ROB was going to be in the game, I was amused; An old NES accessory as a character? Hilarious. While ROB's a decent character, his inclusion makes about as much sense as adding the zapper as a character.

5.Jigglypuff: Now Jigglypuff has been around since the SSB64, but IMO, she was
also added to the popularity of the Pokemon anime. If the anime never existed, do you think that she would still be playable? Probably not.
Feel free to add your own picks for 5 characters that should never have been in the Smash Bros series.
/facepalm

Jigglypuff is the 2nd most popular Pokemon in Japan next to Pikachu. She has been featured in most Pokemon games. She is also considered a mascot.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Why does everyone still refer to Jigglypuff as the 2nd most popular Pokémon in Japan as if it were still 1999? Heaven's; Jigglypuff's popularity worldwide was gone down significantly. Been that way for years.

Ridley22

Smash Ace
Man I haven't been here in forever....
Anyway..

1. Pit-U know
2. Pichu-worthless
3. Lucacrio- pokemon suck now
4. Wolf- another starfox wasn't needed but if there was it should've been Peppy. Yes Peppy.
5. Sonic/Snake- I don't like the third party thing

Characters that should've been included
1. Ridley- Everyone likes Ridley
2. Krystal- People wanted her and she would be original
3. King K. Rool- villain+cool
4. Ridley- He deserves 2 spots.
5. Samurai Goroh- villain+F-zero deserves it+awesome

Warioman123

Smash Apprentice
Characters that should've been included
1. Ridley- Everyone likes Ridley
2. Krystal- People wanted her and she would be original
3. King K. Rool- villain+cool
4. Ridley- He deserves 2 spots.
5. Samurai Goroh- villain+F-zero deserves it+awesome
Sorry, but this isn't the "Who should've been in" thread, although I did have a thread like that.

GigaBowserXyZ

Smash Journeyman
/facepalm

Jigglypuff is the 2nd most popular Pokemon in Japan next to Pikachu. She has been featured in most Pokemon games. She is also considered a mascot.
o please. her fame is dead and saying she's appeared in multiple games when she did NOTHING in there is like saying a goomba deserves a spot in ssb4 just because he showed up in multiple mario games.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
You're right. Goomba's are worth a **** still, unlike Purin.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Jigglypuff's fame is dead... ...now.

The fact is, when Jigglypuff was first placed in SSB64, it did good, so they decided to bring it back for Melee. It got the same response in Melee for the most part, so the ydecided to bring it back as a veteran for Brawl. And another thing; let's face it, all the characters that premiered in the first game all made it to Brawl, so why would Jiggs not fit into that?

My 4:

1) Lucario - Terrible choice for a mewtwo replacement. Could've picked something better, I honestly voted for Blaziken (who wouldn't want an actual "fighting" style pokemon char?).

2) Young Link - I would've liked this addition IF it wasn't a clone.

3) Pichu - see YL

4) Zelda (not Sheik) - *grabs a shield and prays to the Fonz that he lives* though I understand the Zelda franchise needed another char, I can't help but wonder why, considering from my prior knowledge that the only evidence of Zelda doing any fighting whatsoever in the Zelda games is as Sheik and as the pirate in Wind Waker (although she technically wasn't Zelda in WW, but it was close enough). The addition of Sheik was a pleasant surprise, and I honestly feel the only reason for Zelda's addition to Melee was because of Sheik, cuz they couldn't think of a DownB for Zelda (or sheik for that matter).

That was honestly all I could think of, some others were in fact suprises, but these really have puzzled me...

GigaBowserXyZ

Smash Journeyman
Jigglypuff's fame is dead... ...now.

The fact is, when Jigglypuff was first placed in SSB64, it did good, so they decided to bring it back for Melee. It got the same response in Melee for the most part, so the ydecided to bring it back as a veteran for Brawl. And another thing; let's face it, all the characters that premiered in the first game all made it to Brawl, so why would Jiggs not fit into that?
i still think mewtwo would've been a better choice in ssb64 and ssbb IMO and i already got in a discussion about that so i'm not going any farther with that and besides he was supposed in ssb64 so that should count as something amirite?

SuperNofriendo

Smash Rookie
I think nearly every character in the smash series deserved to be in.

This game isn't about the most popular video game characters fighting, it's about similar and unique characters uniting in 1 universe to fight. It's the unpopular ones who promote their franchise and add a different fighting style to the game

"WELL ZSS IS BARELY PLAYABLE IN METROID."-Yeah but she has a totally unique playstyle with the suit pieces and paralysis.

"WHO EVER HEARD OF THE ICE CLIMBERS BEFORE MELEE?" I did, and they are probably one of the most unique characters in a fighting game ever.

"MARTH AND ROY ARE FROM JAPAN"-Yes but they were great sword users to add instead of just 2 links. Plus I never would gotten into the fire emblem series if it weren't for them.

Now honestly though I could have survived in melee without Dr. Mario :(

Sure he had some slight aesthetic differences here and there and was a bit stronger but mario's and his movests were IDENTICAL. And worst of all, he didn't go on to brawl and become luigified like falco. Not that he was a bad character but I could have done without him.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
^ Wow, a reasonable posting. In General Brawl Discussion. <3

I want Tingle to be playable in SSB4 and watch how many (American) people are going to moan, complain and yell crap about it because they just hate Tingle.
I think people would hate him more than Jigglypuff, although Jigglypuff pretty much is hated for the same reason.

The_Rake

Smash Lord
Shiek shouldn't have been in brawl only because the zelda used was based of TP.
What would have been awsome though would have been to have a toon zelda/tetra

Warioman123

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I went through every comment on this forum and 3 people have escaped my list: ROB, Jigglypuff, and the Ice Climbers.
Here's a reply to my own list:
1.Pichu: I still believe him to be worthless and unneeded. I also still believe he was the reason he was in was to promote the anime.
2. Ice Climbers: There's just something so unique about their double-play, something that Melee and Brawl would've felt empty with. Gameplay aside, if so many repliers knew who the Ice Climbers were, Sakurai must've done something right after all.
3.Roy: I just don't know about this guy.... Supernofriendno and many others have brought up many interesting points about him, but if he was so crucial to Nintendo, then why was he taken out of Brawl?
4. ROB: I never thought I'd post this, but maybe ROB should've been in the game. He did save Nintendo after all, so I guess they put him in as an act of gratitude.
5. Jigglypuff: I still stand beside my comment that she would never be here without the anime, yet many have brought up so many good points about her popularity, so I'll just say this: I would've preferred Meowth. Even though I'm not a fan of the anime, he always made me laugh. Plus he's one of the few 'Mons who could talk.
Do you think I should make a new list?

TimeWarpedBrawler

Smash Apprentice
My list is voices my thoughts, with what I think are very good reasons.

1. Pit: His voice is annoying, is moves fail, his role in the SSE was not even neccesary. I can understand
putting in a character to promote their game/game series, but I don't see that for him. And as soon as someone reads this, they're going to use what I said just now aganst the Ice Climbers. I like the Ice Climbers and really like their fighting style, it was creative.

2. Dr. Mario: The only reason they put him in (or any other clone) was to make it so that fans wouldn't be mad at the lack of characters. Falco I think was smart because what separates hime from the other clones is that he isn't a different form of Fox, kinda like Luigi.

3. Roy: Lets face it, Roy = clone of Marth with fire moves. Roy = Marth clone + C. Falcon fire.

4. Olimar: Not importaint in SSE, one of the stupitest fighting styles (It's like having a character who fights by throwing rocks, accept the rocks come back and have different elemental values) all and all, not the best choice.

5. Pikachu: Get better moves (less spamable), or GET THE FUDGE OUT!!!

Blue Boss

Smash Rookie
1. Marth: Homo...

2. Lucario: OMG, THERE'S A SPIKY CANCER IMPALING MY HEART

3. Peach: It doesn't enter my mind a cute, naïve princess fighting...

4. R.O.B: Ugly...

5. Olimar: I always thought he was an inch tall...

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
1. Wario:
in ssb64 I could only imagine how awesome wario would be in an ssb game. I expected some real wario moves like the ground pound that would increase in power over distance as down B, the wario running elbow for B, wario running to ram with his head for side B and something wario-ish as up B.
2. pkmn trainer
because a total of 6 pokemon, 3 without a proper down B, is 3 too much..
4. meta knight
meta knight used one of his godly spam moves.
meta knight wins!
5. wolf
it's nice how every ssb game gets a new star fox character, but 2 is enough and a character from a diffrent game could've been added.
I would chose to remove Falco rather than Wolf, antiheros are better than partners.
I would remove Luigi instead of Wario.

Characters who should be removed if neccesary are partners of heros, not antiheros or villains.

The_Rake

Smash Lord
I would chose to remove Falco rather than Wolf, antiheros are better than partners.
I would remove Luigi instead of Wario.

Characters who should be removed if neccesary are partners of heros, not antiheros or villains.
To compare falco to luigi is ridiculous. Luigi, along with mario has been around for 2 decades and I believe theres easily enough room for luigi and wario, neither should be removed in my opinion on the basis that they have both made huge names for themselves through their own games (not entirely the case with luigi but hes always been playable in mario)

Top Bottom