• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5 characters who never should have been in the Smash Bros series.

OrangeMewtwo1337

Smash Cadet
I knew who the Ice Climbers were lol, I had thier game on my old Gameboy Color, but yeah other then that and thier NES game they are really unpopular outside of smash.

Characters that should'nt have been in smash?
Dr. Mario is pretty unessisary
Lucario is pretty dumb, i'd really rather have Mewtwo
Pit is also really unknown outside of Brawl, and pretty much every move of his is spammable
ROB was a stupid addition, he didn't even have a game! he was just a failed NES appliance
Lucas I don't like either, He's increasing the popularity of a game thats pretty much only available in Japan and not North America.

OrangeMewtwo1337

Smash Cadet
Umm, about Meta Knight: I don't think Sakurai intended to have all this controversy happen. And about the MK debate, banning him would be incredibly ********. Why would you ban a character? That takes the fun out of playing. Instead, just find counterpicks.
I was looking up MK counterpicks and I was having trouble. the websites said alot of the charcters are weak to meta knight, and only a few have a 50/50 chance. Does anyone know any counter picks that have a good chance?

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
I understand where you stand on R.O.B., but I like that robot. He deserves to stay. And maybe the zapper will be in the next game.

Jigglypoof

Smash Cadet
Jigglypuff makes loads of sense. Jigglypuff was put in for the same reasons as Pikachu, Mewtwo, Lucario, and Pichu.

Going by your argument, the only "useful" Pokemon character in the game would be Pokemon Trainer.

Without going from the anime to select characters for Pokemon, it's just too large of a selection to choose from. The anime really narrows the choices down.

If we went by just the games, we would have Blastoise and Charizard in SSB64- (Pokemon Yellow wasn't out yet)

We would have Lugia, Ho-oh, and Suicine in Melee.

And we would have Kyogre, Rayquaza, Groudon, and PT in Brawl.

Just doesn't work, does it?

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Jigglypuff makes loads of sense. Jigglypuff was put in for the same reasons as Pikachu, Mewtwo, Lucario, and Pichu.

Going by your argument, the only "useful" Pokemon character in the game would be Pokemon Trainer.

Without going from the anime to select characters for Pokemon, it's just too large of a selection to choose from. The anime really narrows the choices down.

If we went by just the games, we would have Blastoise and Charizard in SSB64- (Pokemon Yellow wasn't out yet)

We would have Lugia, Ho-oh, and Suicine in Melee.

And we would have Kyogre, Rayquaza, Groudon, and PT in Brawl.

Just doesn't work, does it?
I see the reason in your argument.

Jigglypoof

Smash Cadet
Also, the one character I think is useless-

Snake - Absolutely nothing to do with the Nintendo franchise. The only reason why Sonic deserves a spot and not Snake is because Sonic has always been a competitor to the Super Mario series, until recent years, and has also shared video games with the cast from the Mario games. The closest thing to Nintendo Snake has gotten was being on the gamecube, and on the SNES/NES. If we put every character who appeared on a Nintendo system into the Smash Bros. series, we would have characters from Seasame Street in the game, Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur, Resident Evil, 007, etc. Just doesn't work that way.

I think everyone else deserves a spot.

ZettaKuma

Smash Cadet
Lucas should of never been in the American and European versions of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
Sure he's a good character and all but he comes from the JAPAN-ONLY game; Mother 3.
At first I thought they would be doing the same thing they did with Marth, but no. Roughly 1 year later and STILL no sign of Mother 3!! Putting Lucas in the game was a bad move seeing that

1.) The Mother/EarthBound series isn't know by have the people who play the game and...
2.) Mother 3 isn't in America!! How are people supposed to know who he is if they can't even play the game?! :mad:

So here I am, crying my self to sleep of "There-will-never-be-an-Earthbound 2 (Mother 3)-or-Earthbound Zero (Mother 1)-for-anybody-who-does-not-live-in-Japan."

Pez55

Smash Apprentice
Lucas should of never been in the American and European versions of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
Sure he's a good character and all but he comes from the JAPAN-ONLY game; Mother 3.
At first I thought they would be doing the same thing they did with Marth, but no. Roughly 1 year later and STILL no sign of Mother 3!! Putting Lucas in the game was a bad move seeing that

1.) The Mother/EarthBound series isn't know by have the people who play the game and...
2.) Mother 3 isn't in America!! How are people supposed to know who he is if they can't even play the game?! :mad:

So here I am, crying my self to sleep of "There-will-never-be-an-Earthbound 2 (Mother 3)-or-Earthbound Zero (Mother 1)-for-anybody-who-does-not-live-in-Japan."
This is what people were saying about Marth and Roy when Melee came out.

The Mother series might come out in other countries and it might not, Nintendo has their reasons.

ZettaKuma

Smash Cadet
This is what people were saying about Marth and Roy when Melee came out.
The reason I'm so mad is that American & European fans have been waiting 14 years for Mother 3.
(Were evening praying that EarthBound can make it to the Virtual Console!) And then what does Nintendo do? They add Lucas to the game and get our hopes up, and then say they have no plans of translating any of the unreleased Mother games, and releasing it in America (or Europe)!

Jigglypoof

Smash Cadet
I see Zetta's point. Why release a character to the US if his games are NEVER going there? It's mean. Blasted Japanese getting everything.

If I were a big Mother/Earthbound fan I'd be pretty pissed.

If they did that to a Pokemon game, and had like 150 Pokemon which were never going to be released to the US, I'd burn down Nintendo's building(s).

pepsilon5

Smash Rookie
1. Pichu: IMO a pathetic clone of Pikachu, no purpose.
2. Roy: Developers downgraded his moves compared to Marth's and he's kind of a shadow in the competitive scene.
3. Dr. Mario: Ok, Mario is very popular and he's even Nintendo's mascot but I don't think a clone of him is REALLY necessary.
4. Young Link: Is a Link clone really needed? I mean, what's so special about different projectiles? A character with a more fighting-based moveset should've been cloned instead.
5. Lucario: Mewtwo should've been in Brawl instead of Lucario. Mewtwo is a big icon in the Pokemon world and has a bigger fanbase.

*Holds up a flame shield*

SourPuff

Smash Rookie
1. Pichu. Single biggest clone in all of Smash. He shouldn't be a costume change, Assist Trophy, Pokeball, or least of all a character. His suckage didn't even generate enough humor for his existence in Smash(i.e. Falcon in Brawl).

2. Dr. Mario. Second biggest clone in all of Smash. He should've just been a "special" outfit for Mario. I'm not going to lie, though, I was sad when I found out he was left out in Brawl because he just looks so **** cool. Still, not stand-alone-character-worthy.

3. Roy. Duh. Sure, the reasons are almost the same as Marth and Lucas, but Roy was a foreign clone. At least Lucas was planned for Smash 64. But Roy...he just should've been a Marth costume. After all, Marth had the Leaf outfit even in Melee.

4. ROB. He's not a video game character, he's just a buddy that operates robotically. He's simply a nod to the early Nintendo franchise. That's it, a nod, not a character, a nod. ROB should only be in Smash as an Assist Trophy

5. Olimar. I don't know who was smoking what when they thought he was a good idea. Sure, he turned out to be a really fun/semi-competitive character, but I don't think rational logic led to the creation of his playstyle. I think it took an awful lot of weed to program him...

Flan

Smash Journeyman
1. Jigglypuff

BIG IN JAPAN! Did you ever watch the anime? W/e, she is at least a good character.

2. R.O.B.

Read the rest of the thread. There are about a million agruments why R.O.B should be in.

3. Snake

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU. METAL GEAR SOLID 4. Thats all I have to say.

4. Pichu

Agreed, but he was still a fun character ^_^

5. Dr. Mario

Costume change for sure but Mario should have had his moveset therefore making Mario better.
There isn't really any characters I have a beef with. Honestly, I like all the characters except Olimar cause of his gay moveset.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
The reason I'm so mad is that American & European fans have been waiting 14 years for Mother 3.
(Were evening praying that EarthBound can make it to the Virtual Console!) And then what does Nintendo do? They add Lucas to the game and get our hopes up, and then say they have no plans of translating any of the unreleased Mother games, and releasing it in America (or Europe)!
The Mother games (may it be Mother 3 or Earthbound on VC) won't make it into the Western areas simply for the fact of legal issues.
There's so many music, references, etc., that Nintendo uses in the Mother games that releasing them would cause tons of sue-happy companies to eat them alive.

Back when EB was released on the SNES, the Copyright stuff wasn't that lethally charged, but nowadays...

Copyright is treated different in Japan than in the USA or Europe.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
JIGGLYPUFF
i think nintendo will never take him out
she was there since the first smash bros
it is obvious

fragbait

Smash Master
Dr. Mario was awesome. gtfo.
Agreed. Tier list 9, I believe? The clone was better than the original.

As for my 5?
Uhm....

1)DDD (Shield on)
The Kirby series didn't need more reps. MK and Kirb were enough, although I do understand that, by putting in MK, they were kind of obliged to put D3 in.

2)GDubs
Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE Gdubs as a character. He's fun, and surprisingly good. However, he doesn't really fit in as a Nintendo "All Star" per se. Sure, he's older than Mario, but, seriously, Nintendo wasn't even a big deal until that plumber hit the scene.

3)Sheik (Brawl)
Made no sense. Yeah, I know, Shiek was SUPPOSED to be in TP. But she wasn't. Oh well, moving right along.

4) Jiggs
Don't need another puffball. 'Nuff said.

5)Zero Suit
Why? Just why? (SnakeXZamus shield up)

Who shoulda been?
Doc, Little Mac(playable, AT **** that), and someone else from FZero, as well as Mewtwo. Although I don't mind that little weasel Lucs.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
1)DDD (Shield on)
The Kirby series didn't need more reps. MK and Kirb were enough, although I do understand that, by putting in MK, they were kind of obliged to put D3 in.
Oh yes. Let's not put in the major villain of Sakurai's only other game series, which, by the way, is among Nintendo's best selling franchises. Why no Falco- and Wolf-hate, then? Why no Lucas hate? Kirby is totally legit with 3 characters, and considering Meta Knight is a FAR more minor character than Dedede... That's like putting in Tingle before Ganondorf.

2)GDubs
Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE Gdubs as a character. He's fun, and surprisingly good. However, he doesn't really fit in as a Nintendo "All Star" per se. Sure, he's older than Mario, but, seriously, Nintendo wasn't even a big deal until that plumber hit the scene.
Mr. Game and Watch has two EXTREMELY legit reasons to be included.
a.) He is the very first video game character Nintendo created, representing the very first video game series and video game "console" Nintendo has created, thus representing their roots. You claiming the Game & Watch series wasn't a big deal is wrong, too, as they sold very well and very many of these little guys.
b.) He has been included as a tribute to his creator who died in a car accident.

3)Sheik (Brawl)
Made no sense. Yeah, I know, Shiek was SUPPOSED to be in TP. But she wasn't. Oh well, moving right along.
Right. Let's take out a character's other half just for sh*t and giggles. Sheik not returning if she already was in Melee as part of Zelda would also take the first transformation character away, only leaving Pokémon Trainer.

4) Jiggs
Why Jigglypuff has been included has been explained in this thread every at least 2 pages.

5)Zero Suit
Legitimate question. I can't really counter that.

n88

Smash Lord
1. Pichu.
For all the reasons in the first post. (I know Sakurai was purposely adding a bunch of clones, but Pichu?)

2. ZSS.
I love ZSS, she's one of my mains, but the second Metroid character should have been Ridley.

3. Snake.
He just doesn't make sense. My cousin, who doesn't know a whole lot about video games asked me why Snake was in the game roughly 20 minutes after being introduced to Brawl.

There might be a few other questionable characters out there, but those three really bother me.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
1.ZSS- she truly was only added for sex appeal, lets not kid ourselves. Samus was fine by herself.

2.Pichu-really why,(i know why sakurai decided to make 6 clones oppose to 1 unique char.)

3.Dr.Mario-see pichu.

4.ROB- Yes he was a nice reference and throw back, but i don't think he was necessary as a playable char. they should of kept him as an enemy in the SSE.

5. ADULT LINK not Young Link. - To me the younger variation of link will always be the real link. The adult version of him wasn't nessecary to have. Considering at the time melee came out, the last games in the zelda series MM and OoT featured young link not adult link. The only reason people render young link the clone is because he was unlocked second, if he was on the starting roster and Alink unlockable everyone would think Alink was the clone.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Aside from the obvious of Jiggs, Pichu, ROB, G&W and ZSS, I'd say Lucario. I admit, that I do love Lucario for many reasons, but he was just added because he was at the peak of his popularity when the roster was being made when there were many other deserving characters. I do hope that he does return in SSB4 though.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
1.ZSS- she truly was only added for sex appeal, lets not kid ourselves. Samus was fine by herself.

2.Pichu-really why,(i know why sakurai decided to make 6 clones oppose to 1 unique char.)

3. Dr.Mario-see pichu.

4.ROB- Yes he was a nice reference and throw back, but i don't think he was necessary as a playable char. they should of kept him as an enemy in the SSE.

5. ADULT LINK not Young Link. - To me the younger variation of link will always be the real link. The adult version of him wasn't nessecary to have. Considering at the time melee came out, the last games in the zelda series MM and OoT featured young link not adult link. The only reason people render young link the clone is because he was unlocked second, if he was on the starting roster and Alink unlockable everyone would think Alink was the clone.
I hate you.

Cook Kirby

Smash Apprentice
1. Pichu - But then again, in the right hands he could be pretty formidable.
2. Dr. Mario - Just a waste of time if you ask me.
3. Pit - Was there really any point putting a long forgotten character in? He wasn't even ever that popular, if I recall.
4. Ice Climbers - Same as Pit.
5. R.O.B. - As much as I like him, he's only there to raise peoples awareness of him.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Rofl more Doc. hate. Why is he a waste of time? Just curious.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Agreed. Tier list 9, I believe? The clone was better than the original.

As for my 5?
Uhm....

1)DDD (Shield on)

2)GDubs

3)Sheik (Brawl)

4) Jiggs

5)Zero Suit

Who shoulda been?
Doc, Little Mac(playable, AT **** that), and someone else from FZero, as well as Mewtwo. Although I don't mind that little weasel Lucs.
If you think Nintendo should remove D3, I would remove Meta Knight. D3 is the original villain and he appeared from the first Kirby game.

If Nintendo decide to keep MK I would remove if neccesary in the next game:

Ryuka

Purin

Lucario

ROB/Robot

Suneku (if Konami don't request next time)

Cook Kirby

Smash Apprentice
Well, I guess I just feel that way because he's a nearly identical clone of Mario. This is just my opinion, but it'd be a lot easier to learn to play as Mario from the beginning of the series, when it's nearly guaranteed that he'll always be in the games (considering his importance at Nintendo). But then they introduced Doc. Mario, and I never expected him to be kept in for any future games, so I saw no point learning to play him, especially when he's so similar to Mario. But if you like him, then go for your life! Don't let my opinion annoy you.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Oh, it's fine. I just don't see why people continue to think of them as clones.

Cook Kirby

Smash Apprentice
I guess some people (myself included) can't get out of that habit. But I guess this all doesn't matter, the characters are there or not there, and people have fun with them, so we should all respect people's decisions.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Link should of had a transformation in the game. like turning into Wolf Link. which would be super epic. but then agian there has to be a balance of characters.
No, actually you're right. Why would they base all Zelda material (aside Toon Link and Pirate Ship stage) with TP, giving Zelda and Ganon final smashes related to that game, and NOT include Wolf Link at least as a Final Smash temporary transformation.

It was another missed shot, if you ask me.. The whole Triforce Slash would've been good on Toon Link if you ask me.

But I still think characters who shouldn't be there are:

-Toon Link
-.... Toon Link
-Toon Link
-Toon Link

and...
-Toon Link.

Ok, and maybe Snake. I would've picked Simon Belmont, the Konami character with most screen time on a Nintendo console (next to Goemon from Mystical Ninja)

Really, what's the point of having the exact same character, in a shorter goofier version. Hopefully this STAYS limited to the Zelda series, so we don't get Paper Mario, Cel-Shaded Donkey Kong from Jungle Beat, Baby Peach, Adult Ike, or any other alter version of a character.

Anyway, this is just me thinking out loud. No need to go Bowser on me.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
My 5 picks for the characters that should never have been? Hmm...

1) Ike... I like Ike, Ike I like. It's just that... We had Marth and Roy, which were pretty sweet if you ask me. I understand the whole "hyping up the latest games" thing, but there are better ways than including a slow character in a fast-paced franchise like the Smash series.

2) Pichu... He's fun to play with, and uhh... That's about it. He wasn't a good character, damages himself, very light, and the game already had 3 pokemon (Pika, Jiggs and Mew2)... It would've been a better idea to include another character of the less-represented game universes (like F-Zero).

3) Wario... He ended up being a badass character, fast and powerful. But... Why was he put into Brawl, instead of another character from a different series? We already have Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser and Yoshi... Wario's moveset could've belonged to a different character from a different universe, if you ask me (And ever since he appeared on the trailer and farted, I've had this deep hatred of him... Ruined the whole mood, if you ask me)... Itd've been a better idea to either add someone else from a different franchise, or Smithy/Geno/Mallow/Booster/an Axem Ranger from SMRPG.. THAT would've brought some huuuuge hype!

4) PT... The transformations were awesome and all, and they were quite hyped around where I live when they were announced, but why not just include a different pokemon rather than a trainer? Ditto would've been the most AMAZING character ever, with his own personal moveset AND the ability to transform into your opponent and take his moveset (minus the standard B, which would've been for transforming back... Sort of like the opposite of kirby, which only takes the standard B). Sure, it would've been hell to make and code, but imagine if it were real... More unique than PT, if you ask me!

5) Diddy... I was seriously expecting something else when I saw his picture in the Brawl roster in the Dojo. Like K. Rool, since he's the villain... Or Funky Kong, since he's the bodybuilder, fits more into a fighting game. Diddy ended up being an awesome character, but I still find myself wondering: why did they choose Diddy? He hasn't had much representation in DK's world lately, he's been more into racing games.

Top Bottom