• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5 characters who never should have been in the Smash Bros series.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Just so you know, you didn't raise a flame shield for Jigglypuff so....

lol. Jokes aside, you are right about Jigglypuff in so many ways. Jigglypuff became a popular Pokemon thanks to the show AND Japan alone. To America, it was just another Pokemon. But they hyped the thing up. A singing balloon, only something that can be invented in the mind of a Japanese otaku.

GigaBowserXyZ

Smash Journeyman
Just so you know, you didn't raise a flame shield for Jigglypuff so....

lol. Jokes aside, you are right about Jigglypuff in so many ways. Jigglypuff became a popular Pokemon thanks to the show AND Japan alone. To America, it was just another Pokemon. But they hyped the thing up. A singing balloon, only something that can be invented in the mind of a Japanese otaku.
if that was directed to me then fail. the pic got blocked.

Hiyayayah!

Smash Cadet
2. Ice Climbers: When melee was released on a worldwide scale, I'd dare you to find 1,000 people who knew who the hell these two were. IMO, Ice Climber was a piece of crap, and although I understand where they were getting at, by trying to add a retro character to the mix, but seriously, even the ducks from Duck Hunt would have made more since.
I agree with the Ice Climbers.

I think Olimar is the worst though, but maybe that's just cus I can't play as him at all :laugh:

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
My list is voices my thoughts, with what I think are very good reasons.

1. Pit: His voice is annoying, is moves fail, his role in the SSE was not even neccesary. I can understand
putting in a character to promote their game/game series, but I don't see that for him. And as soon as someone reads this, they're going to use what I said just now aganst the Ice Climbers. I like the Ice Climbers and really like their fighting style, it was creative.

The SSE determines whether someone should be in Smash Bros.?!

2. Dr. Mario: The only reason they put him in (or any other clone) was to make it so that fans wouldn't be mad at the lack of characters. Falco I think was smart because what separates hime from the other clones is that he isn't a different form of Fox, kinda like Luigi.

I agree with this, the doc could have been a costume. Shame he wasn't in Brawl.

3. Roy: Lets face it, Roy = clone of Marth with fire moves. Roy = Marth clone + C. Falcon fire.

Ganondorf, Pichu, Falco, Doc and Young Link were all clones as well. Roy was at least more original than Young Link was.

4. Olimar: Not importaint in SSE, one of the stupitest fighting styles (It's like having a character who fights by throwing rocks, accept the rocks come back and have different elemental values) all and all, not the best choice.

SSE doesn't matter. At all.
The rocks are called Pikmin ;).
His fighting style is unique, and whilst I can't use it effectively, I'd like to put some time into learning with him.
He also represents a newer franchise.

5. Pikachu: Get better moves (less spamable), or GET THE FUDGE OUT!!!

That will never happen. He's probably the second most favourite/ famous character in the franchise, behind Mario- he won't leave. Pikachu isn't spammy, if you think he is then you must be bad with him, or you need to play more skilled players.
Responses in sexy yellow ;).

Warioman123

Smash Apprentice
This is my new list:
1.Pichu:I still don't like him. He hurts himself, he seems like a random selection and he's an overall bad character. As for the excuse that he represents baby Pokemon, don't you think that Togepi would've been better?
2.Dr. Mario:Like many have said, he could've been just a Mario costume. Also, the fact that he represents puzzle games makes me wonder why not just make a Tetris themed stage.
3.Roy: Read my comment on page 40, comment #590.
4.Lucas: Ness was just fine IMO. Lucas is just a blonde clone of him in a yellow and red striped sweater.
5. Young Link: Basically just a clone of Link who only appeared in a few games. Even Toon Link did more.
Please comment on this list.

Turn X

Smash Rookie
This is my new list:
1.Pichu:I still don't like him. He hurts himself, he seems like a random selection and he's an overall bad character. As for the excuse that he represents baby Pokemon, don't you think that Togepi would've been better?
I agree with you here. He's only a tad quicker than Pikachu, but self-inflicted damage negates that benefit for me. For a baby pokemon though, I would have picked Munchlax.

2.Dr. Mario:Like many have said, he could've been just a Mario costume. Also, the fact that he represents puzzle games makes me wonder why not just make a Tetris themed stage.
We sorta had a puzzle-themed stage with the Game-N-Watch. It's one of my fav levels for messing around with my friends. I could only imagine what a Tetris-themed would look like, with bricks falling on players every 10 seconds and the stage being constantly built up. Maybe have it destroyed ala the Kid Icarus stage.

Isane

Smash Rookie
I hate the idea of remove characters... ****, i hate pichu and Dr.Mario, but why remove them if another person would love and destroy with these characters?!?!?!?!? I main Link, if they took Link off i will stop playing smash... thats why people love melee more than brawl (obviously not only this reason)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
What do you mean by that?
If you say Lucas is a clone of Ness, then by this logic, Samus is a clone of Link. Reasoning:

Both have a chain they use to grab, as well as an ZAir.
B: Chargeable horizontally flying projectile.
Side B: Horizontally flying projectile.
Up B: Spinning recovery.
Down B: Bomb allowing them to bombjump.

crazycrackers

Smash Journeyman
1. R.O.B.: I understand his inclusion in SSE (mabey he couldv'e also been an assist trophy?) but making him a character was a bit much IMHO. I feel as if there would be no reason to NOT include him in the next smash game (if that happens) but that he stole a spot for potentially awesome characters.

2. Dr. Mario: Now, I loved playing as Doc don't get me wrong but...his incusion was just ******** imo.

3. Young Link/Toon Link: I'm sorry, why are these guys in?

4. Pichu, just a cuter but more useless clone of Pikachu. I loved playing as him as well as Doc, but....again, Pichu's incusion was ******** imo.

5. Sonic: IMO, hes more of a smart money maker than a character who actually should have been in

crazycrackers

Smash Journeyman
This is my new list:
I have actually been thinking about this idea for the longest time. I would love to see Togepi playable :D What would be really funny would be if she had Encore XD but that'll never happen.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
3. Young Link/Toon Link: I'm sorry, why are these guys in?
To answer your question:
The Legend of Zelda started to become a series with two subplots with the release of Ocarina of Time, and later Majora's Mask.
Ocarina of Time introduced an old Link, additionally to the young Link of the games prior and after Ocarina of Time, with the exception of Twilight Princess.

So basically you would have to ask why old Link was included, since Young/Toon Link represent far more games than Link does.

Sakurai himself stated the importance of two Links in Smash Bros., since they represent both sub-series (the "mature" and the "toon" one).

_Liquid_

Smash Cadet
Pichu - Sure he was cute but gameplay wise was nearly uselss

Dr. Mario - Should have just been an alt costume not a full blown different character.

Those are really the only characters i didn't like.

Warioman123

Smash Apprentice
If you say Lucas is a clone of Ness, then by this logic, Samus is a clone of Link. Reasoning:

Both have a chain they use to grab, as well as an ZAir.
B: Chargeable horizontally flying projectile.
Side B: Horizontally flying projectile.
Up B: Spinning recovery.
Down B: Bomb allowing them to bombjump.
But here's the thing: both Lucas and Ness have the same moves except for their B. I can see where you get that, but they both have PK Thunder, Psi Magnet and PK Fire. Functionality has almost nothing to do with it.

The_Rake

Smash Lord
1. snake
2. sonic
3. pichu
4. olimar
5. lucas
I do disagree with most of this list
1. Snake: When i first saw trailers for brawl I immediately thought to myself "Why would they include snake instead of sonic, who more people would want included?" obv that question was answered but the point is he was included because of a promise and although I don't particularly like him and really did not approve of his inclusion i think he provides a breath of fresh air along with...
2. Sonic: see the comment for snake really, he was included because well over half of the people who participated in the vote wanted sonic. Bottom line, if theres anyone you say shouldn't be in it's him because there's, relatively speaking, more people who think he deserves a place than not.
3. Pichu: what can i say, a smaller, weaker version of a small, weak character...makes no sense, possibly less sense than dr mario because he hurts himself.
4. Olimar: possibly my least favourite character, if i ever do a random character game he is the one character i do not want. but he has a very interesting playstile and represents a pretty succesful franchise for nintendo, so hey, what you gona do?
5. Lucas, as I'm sure many know, was supposed to replace ness in melee but because of time issues didn't, this meant that by brawl ness was a well established character and there was another earthbound/mother character who needed to come in, a more recent one thus there was apparantly 1 solution, have both. I don't agree with his inclusion (or ness', i think 1 of them would have been enough if they were this similar)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
But here's the thing: both Lucas and Ness have the same moves except for their B. I can see where you get that, but they both have PK Thunder, Psi Magnet and PK Fire. Functionality has almost nothing to do with it.
Yes, but the WHOLE REST OF THEIR MOVESET is different. So different that if you play Lucas how you would play Ness, you will horribly fail, and vice versa.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I'm surprised that no one has said Tabuu, Primid, Galleom's 2 forms and Duon.
Or at least I don't think they have.....

I don't get what people had against Pichu- he was a clone, and basically a joke character in a sense, but the whole attacks that produce electricity damaged him made him interesting to use in my opinion- more so than the majority of other clones in that game. When I first saw Brawl's roster (from the dojo and some leaked roster screenshots), I was most disappointed with Ike, Lucas, R.O.B, Wolf and lack of Mewtwo, because of the following reasons=

Ike- He just seemed like Brawl's version of Roy, except a bit slower and heavier. Especially since he had a similar Up B to Kirby, and a similar Neutral and Down B as Roy.

Lucas- To me he was just a replacement to Ness (this was when Lucas was first announced), and because I was a fan of Ness, I was annoyed that they took out a cool character to add one who I didn't like the look of that much with extremely similar specials.

R.O.B- I just didn't understand how this guy would fit into Smash, and I was angry at Mewtwo lack at this point XD.

Wolf- I was now in :mad: mode for no Mewtwo. Instead of getting Mewtwo we got a Space Animal with basically the same specials as the other two for all I knew at the time.

However, once I got the game, my opinion on some of these, mostly Ike and Wolf, ended up changing, and I enjoy them in the series. If there's one I didn't like it would still be Lucas though.

DJ.P (paul field.)

Smash Rookie
ok

I have been a die-hard fan of the Smash Bros series since 2002 when my mom bought me an N64 W/ SSB64 and Super Mario 64. Over the years, I played Melee and Brawl too. But the some of the characters in the games seemed pointless to me. Here are my 5 picks for characters who never should have been in the Smash Bros. series. Note that some were omitted from Brawl.

1.Pichu: I have always been a Pokemon fan, but Pichu's appearance in Melee confuses me to this day. First off, I think the only reason he was included was to promote the anime. Second, his moves hurt him!!! Overall, I believe him to be a useless character, and I'm glad he was taken out of brawl.

2. Ice Climbers: When melee was released on a worldwide scale, I'd dare you to find 1,000 people who knew who the hell these two were. IMO, Ice Climber was a piece of crap, and although I understand where they were getting at, by trying to add a retro character to the mix, but seriously, even the ducks from Duck Hunt would have made more since.

3. Roy: *Raises flame shield*. Now hear me out. What was the point of Roy? To promote his new game? Fair point, but keep in mind that this was a JAPAN-ONLY game. While, I'm glad that he and Marth brought Fire EMblem to our shores, I still scratch my head over Roy's appearance.

4. R.O.B.: *Raises yet another flame shield*. Hear me out again, please. When I first found out ROB was going to be in the game, I was amused; An old NES accessory as a character? Hilarious. While ROB's a decent character, his inclusion makes about as much sense as adding the zapper as a character.

5.Jigglypuff: Now Jigglypuff has been around since the SSB64, but IMO, she was
also added to the popularity of the Pokemon anime. If the anime never existed, do you think that she would still be playable? Probably not.
Feel free to add your own picks for 5 characters that should never have been in the Smash Bros series.
fair enougthh except two ice climbers and roy are ok. Roy was very powerfull & still ran at a good speed and i prefered him as he was suitable than marth but i would to keep marth as he is still a useful character & as for the ice climbers you must play them more often reasons are (when youre near two items because it's two characters which both do the same actions at the same time your able to grab both so if your holding an item you don't want to lose get your nana to go near the item you want & press A my fravorite combination with the ice climbers is when they both have a hammer making it harder for your enimies, they have a brilliant final smash almost impossible to escape from & another secret when aiming for enimies with the air ride from kirby your other stays down on stage & attacks the opponents automatically.)
I totally agree on piachu, jiggly puff, R.O.B but i guess if they gave better fighting abilities it might be ok.
Another thing is that metaknight's ability to become paralized everytime he uses his special attacks in mid air is lame as i have died to many because i can't move when off edge of the stage.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
1. Peach (Completely Dumb)
2. Ice Climbers
3. Dr. Mario
4. R.O.B
5. Pit ( His voice is terrible )

Super SGT. Ike

Smash Cadet
The pH1V3

King Dedede can suck on rocks.
ROB can go play in the mine field.
Send Wolf to the pound.
Have Wario eat Olimar's morsel arse.
I can't think of a fifth, but I can think of a whole LOT more who could've been scrapped.

I DO think however, that Mewtwo had a neat unpredictability that's so very needed in Brawl. Where's Krystal? Ike is 3/100 seconds too slow. Fire Emblem has some badass chars which could've been added. Snake?? Why not add Tony Hawk... it'd be fun rolling a ***** over with your skateboard and doing wallrides on their face. And they could've fit Knux and Shadow on the same character slot as Sonic as an alt costume. Hell, Tails could've been an assist like the Ice Junkies. Dammit, I know I'm forgetting some awesome potential. Forgive me.

But :ohwell: Nintendo. The game is here. Now we backhackqz it.

Dual Kirby

Smash Apprentice
1) R.O.B. really where did he come from!?!?!?!
2) Pit he honestly only had one game which many people had never heard of
3) Lucario does every pokemon that talks in a movie get to be in the smashbros series... I mean hes not even a legendary and they took out mewtwo for him
4) Tabuu not a playable char i know but he kinda stole master hands spotlight
5) At least 2 pokemon from brawl i mean 7 chars from one game is really overdoing it just to promote an anime

mskusu

Smash Cadet
4. R.O.B.: *Raises yet another flame shield*. Hear me out again, please. When I first found out ROB was going to be in the game, I was amused; An old NES accessory as a character? Hilarious. While ROB's a decent character, his inclusion makes about as much sense as adding the zapper as a character.
To expand on what Mic_128 said about the Video Game Crash in the 80s near the beginning of the thread...

Wikipedia said:
R.O.B. was released with the intention of portraying the Nintendo Entertainment System as something novel in order to alleviate retail fears following the video game crash of 1983.

The creation and marketing of R.O.B. as a "Trojan horse" after the video game market saturation of 1983 was named the fifth in GameSpy's top twenty-five smartest moves in gaming history.
Essentially, R.O.B. saved video games. NoA probably would have made it without R.O.B. eventually, but thanks to the brilliant little Trojan horse strategy, recovery success was guaranteed. A lot of people bought the R.O.B. peripheral back in the 80s and he has tons of retro appeal, as well. He's part of Nintendo's history as much as any of the other characters in Smash.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
I hate the idea of removing villains. Mediocre characters doesn't need to remove, instead buffing them. I also hate nerfs, they are almost always a poor idea which makes characters nearly useless.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
1) R.O.B. really where did he come from!?!?!?!
2) Pit he honestly only had one game which many people had never heard of
3) Lucario does every pokemon that talks in a movie get to be in the smashbros series... I mean hes not even a legendary and they took out mewtwo for him
4) Tabuu not a playable char i know but he kinda stole master hands spotlight
5) At least 2 pokemon from brawl i mean 7 chars from one game is really overdoing it just to promote an anime
I dont understand why R.O.B is a character from SSBB
I think was a great Mistake put R.O.B in the Smash Bros. Series...

Hey man,
Really, Where did he come from ?!

lol

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
i believe

marth-straight up gayest character ever roy should have stayed in imo!!!!
pichu-weak hurting-himself version of pikachu and pika was alreaddy small and light ********!!!
sonic-most annoying character ever in terms of well anything a character can do
metaknight-if we didnt have metaknight there wouldnt be a spamwave of people wanting to ban him i thought it was a good idea to be honest because metaknight looks tight as hell maebe a simple toning down of his moves would suffice
iceys-well ok i gotta admit im working on using the iceys in brawl but i gotta say their inclusion was kinda like a huge WUUUUUUT?

characters that should be in
mewtwo-there was no reason not to include him he wasnt a clone and his playstyle was unique yea he was garbadge in melee but the only reason hes out is because some people signed a petition to get mewtwo out of melee but cmon now captain falcon is the worst do you want him out of brawl>?
But I just said he should've been in....
dude rob is the reason we can enjoy super smash bros today he deserved some sort of recognition

Warioman123

Smash Apprentice
i believe

marth-straight up gayest character ever roy should have stayed in imo!!!!
pichu-weak hurting-himself version of pikachu and pika was alreaddy small and light ********!!!
sonic-most annoying character ever in terms of well anything a character can do
metaknight-if we didnt have metaknight there wouldnt be a spamwave of people wanting to ban him i thought it was a good idea to be honest because metaknight looks tight as hell maebe a simple toning down of his moves would suffice
iceys-well ok i gotta admit im working on using the iceys in brawl but i gotta say their inclusion was kinda like a huge WUUUUUUT?

dude rob is the reason we can enjoy super smash bros today he deserved some sort of recognition
Umm, about Meta Knight: I don't think Sakurai intended to have all this controversy happen. And about the MK debate, banning him would be incredibly ********. Why would you ban a character? That takes the fun out of playing. Instead, just find counterpicks.

Top Bottom