• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5 characters who never should have been in the Smash Bros series.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
1) Ike... I like Ike, Ike I like. It's just that... We had Marth and Roy, which were pretty sweet if you ask me. I understand the whole "hyping up the latest games" thing, but there are better ways than including a slow character in a fast-paced franchise like the Smash series.
Ike is the first Lord of the 3D porting of the Fire Emblem series, is highly popular, and is next to Marth the only Lord to have more than one game under his belt.

3) Wario... He ended up being a badass character, fast and powerful. But... Why was he put into Brawl, instead of another character from a different series? We already have Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser and Yoshi... Wario's moveset could've belonged to a different character from a different universe, if you ask me (And ever since he appeared on the trailer and farted, I've had this deep hatred of him... Ruined the whole mood, if you ask me)... Itd've been a better idea to either add someone else from a different franchise, or Smithy/Geno/Mallow/Booster/an Axem Ranger from SMRPG.. THAT would've brought some huuuuge hype!
Wario is not representing Mario. He's representing even two series that are only namely related to the Mario series, which are Wario Land and WarioWare. Saying Wario represents the Mario franchise is saying Donkey Kong does so, too. Wario has just as many games under his belt as Link does, not including his playable appearances in Mario spin-offs. He's an extremely popular character, as well. I doubt a character from a mediocry selling SNES game from a 3rd Party developer, who never appeared again in any game related to the series is creating as much "hype" as a character who is one of the most popular Nintendo characters, has not only one but two universes and the sales... Oh, don't let me get started on those.

4) PT... The transformations were awesome and all, and they were quite hyped around where I live when they were announced, but why not just include a different pokemon rather than a trainer? Ditto would've been the most AMAZING character ever, with his own personal moveset AND the ability to transform into your opponent and take his moveset (minus the standard B, which would've been for transforming back... Sort of like the opposite of kirby, which only takes the standard B). Sure, it would've been hell to make and code, but imagine if it were real... More unique than PT, if you ask me!
Pokémon Trainer was necessary, because he was the character you control in the Pokémon games, after all.

5) Diddy... I was seriously expecting something else when I saw his picture in the Brawl roster in the Dojo. Like K. Rool, since he's the villain... Or Funky Kong, since he's the bodybuilder, fits more into a fighting game. Diddy ended up being an awesome character, but I still find myself wondering: why did they choose Diddy? He hasn't had much representation in DK's world lately, he's been more into racing games.
Of course. Let's put the second-most important Donkey Kong hero behind the villain and a minor character.
But then let's kick Zelda, Peach, Luigi, and many other characters first, and include Tingle and Toad, at least.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I hope you're happy, this whole topic is opinion-based, and I inputted my opinion. Guess I should just stop talking, since fact and logic just HAS to be behind everything, eh? Want facts as to why I prefer meat over veggies too? :embarrass

Wario started out from under the Mario universe, and was created as Mario's (evil) cousin. The fact that he has a separate universe and games all to himself now doesn't delete his roots. He's still part of the "Mario World". If we just pick out Nintendo's hits for characters, we'd have to take out a number of characters from Brawl, Melee, and 64 (right, ROB? Not even a character, it's just a toy).

Ike, after Roy appeared in Melee, had less fame than his fellow Smash predecessors. I understand the thing about him being a lord in his game's storyline and being included in Brawl along with Marth because of the same thing, but to me, since this is an opinion-based thread, I still prefer Roy. If the creators would simply choose characters because of shared traits with each other, then Toad should've been somewhere around the roster, since he's as old as Mario and has been in practically every single Mario game made, giving advice here and there.

Diddy is DK's sidekick and is an important character, yeah, I get it. Point is, why not include a villain (King K. Rool), rather than another good guy? Some characters made it in Brawl and don't even have as big a history as Diddy, I can only wonder how he made it into Brawl (apart from the whole sidekick thing).

PT still could've been traded for a different pokémon, maybe a transforming one (castform for example), or some link between the Regi's... And not just PT, but why do the 3 pokémon he controls have to be different evolutions? All basic starters would've been a better representation than each being a different evolved form.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
If you say Wario is a Mario character and his roots are undeniable, you have to say that to Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong, as well.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
If you say Wario is a Mario character and his roots are undeniable, you have to say that to Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong, as well.
They are, Diddy's birth came from the DK universe, just as Wario's birth came from the Mario universe. The changes they suffered later on still don't discount the way they were brought into the gaming universe (and they're still linked together... Wario's still appearing in Mario Parties and Mario Kart games)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I meant the Donkey Kong series rooting to the Mario series.

Remember, the first game ever? What was it called...? Ah yes, Donkey Kong. It had Mario in it, jumping over barrels that a certain monkey tossed.

And Donkey and Diddy Kong both still appear in Mario Kart and other Mario spin-offs too. So basically, Donkey and Diddy are Mario characters, following your logic.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I meant the Donkey Kong series rooting to the Mario series.

Remember, the first game ever? What was it called...? Ah yes, Donkey Kong. It had Mario in it, jumping over barrels that a certain monkey tossed.

And Donkey and Diddy Kong both still appear in Mario Kart and other Mario spin-offs too. So basically, Donkey and Diddy are Mario characters, following your logic.
The Donkey Kong in the first game is different from the Donkey Kong in the Rare games that were created later on. Same as Jumpman the carpenter (name of "Mario"), and Pauline the girlfriend (name of the damsel in distress): they were all altered afterwards, and dumped into two different game universes, Mario (the new completely altered Jumpman) along with Peach (the new completely-altered Pauline) in the Super Mario Bros. series, and Donkey Kong in the Donkey Kong Country series... Their looks were also altered.

Wario wasn't altered this way, he is still looking exactly the same as when he was created, his change of location and outfit (along with his motorcycle) can be attributed to him being a rich character ("Wario World" points to this, along with the older Wario games where he finds treasure as part of the gameplay). Still branching apart from the Mario universe, it's obvious he's still the same Wario as when he first appeared. Mario, on the other hand, changed his looks, history, profession, and universe (along with Peach and Donkey Kong).

The original Donkey Kong for the arcade can't be used as a comparison to all of this due to the history of the game, and the characters' drastic changes.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
So if Donkey Kong isn't related to Mario, why are there Donkey Kong characters in Mario Spin-Offs, and why is there Baby Donkey Kong in Yoshi's Island DS?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
So if Donkey Kong isn't related to Mario, why are there Donkey Kong characters in Mario Spin-Offs, and why is there Baby Donkey Kong in Yoshi's Island DS?
DK is still related to Mario, in the sense that their old versions were originally in the same universe... Just not related now, with their present versions. The games that have been created as remakes of the original Donkey Kong are just that - remakes.

You can see games with appearances from characters who aren't part of the universe and still say they're not related (in Mario RPG, Samus was in Peach's Castle's right wing bed, and Link was in the inn at Rose Town). This should wipe away the Mario kart/party character relations to the Donkey Kong universe before.

Baby Donkey Kong is in Yoshi's Island DS for the same reason G&W is in Brawl, and ROB is in Mario Kart DS.

Shadow13

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climber was a brilliant game. And if you're simply thinking that they're stupid because they're old, where's Mr GAW in your list? IC's bring a new and unique fighting style. No other game AFAIK has had a fighter quite like them.
said by some guy that had a really long post that i didn't want to completely copy

I didn't think it was that good, the jumps could barely go sideways and it is a pain in the *ss to have to run against the ground that moved you (idk wtf that was) while trying to avoid some vulture and what looked like a sheep

Warioman123

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Ice Climber wasn't that special. I can think of about 50 other NES games I'd recommend over it......
Mic128 is going to either kill me now or ask me to list 50 games, isn't he?

Shadow13

Smash Journeyman
I have been a die-hard fan of the Smash Bros series since 2002 when my mom bought me an N64 W/ SSB64 and Super Mario 64. Over the years, I played Melee and Brawl too. But the some of the characters in the games seemed pointless to me. Here are my 5 picks for characters who never should have been in the Smash Bros. series. Note that some were omitted from Brawl.

1.Pichu: I have always been a Pokemon fan, but Pichu's appearance in Melee confuses me to this day. First off, I think the only reason he was included was to promote the anime. Second, his moves hurt him!!! Overall, I believe him to be a useless character, and I'm glad he was taken out of brawl.

2. Ice Climbers: When melee was released on a worldwide scale, I'd dare you to find 1,000 people who knew who the hell these two were. IMO, Ice Climber was a piece of crap, and although I understand where they were getting at, by trying to add a retro character to the mix, but seriously, even the ducks from Duck Hunt would have made more since.

3. Roy: *Raises flame shield*. Now hear me out. What was the point of Roy? To promote his new game? Fair point, but keep in mind that this was a JAPAN-ONLY game. While, I'm glad that he and Marth brought Fire EMblem to our shores, I still scratch my head over Roy's appearance.

4. R.O.B.: *Raises yet another flame shield*. Hear me out again, please. When I first found out ROB was going to be in the game, I was amused; An old NES accessory as a character? Hilarious. While ROB's a decent character, his inclusion makes about as much sense as adding the zapper as a character.

5.Jigglypuff: Now Jigglypuff has been around since the SSB64, but IMO, she was
also added to the popularity of the Pokemon anime. If the anime never existed, do you think that she would still be playable? Probably not.
Feel free to add your own picks for 5 characters that should never have been in the Smash Bros series.
Those are all legitimate, but i have a few others

1. Dr. Mario
He was better than Mario but still a clone and was in 1 (i think) game before melee

2. Young Link
At least TL is from a different game, and is better than YL

3. Sonic
Don't want him if he sucks, if he gets better for the next one then OK

Warioman123

Smash Apprentice
Those are all legitimate, but i have a few others

1. Dr. Mario
He was better than Mario but still a clone and was in 1 (i think) game before melee

2. Young Link
At least TL is from a different game, and is better than YL

3. Sonic
Don't want him if he sucks, if he gets better for the next one then OK
1. Several actually. You might have left out Dr. Mario 64.
2.I semi-agree.
3. They didn't know he'd be bad, but I think he's ok.

Shadow13

Smash Journeyman
1. Several actually. You might have left out Dr. Mario 64.
2.I semi-agree.
3. They didn't know he'd be bad, but I think he's ok.
1. they are remakes though, not a different game
3. Ok but i still say Sonic sucks

oh yeah, Falco and Wolf sholdn't be in if they are both clones, at least have 2 Star Fox characters and not the Star Fox Triple Fuc* (my bro thought of that)

Cook Kirby

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai kept stating that only video game characters would be included in Brawl, and as such that Pokemon Trainer wasn't based on Ash from the anime. That I understand, but why was Jigglypuff included? When did Jigglypuff ever have an important role in the games? Wasn't Jigglypuff's only ever major role the "comical" one involving a Jigglypuff following the protagonists in the anime?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
oh yeah, Falco and Wolf sholdn't be in if they are both clones, at least have 2 Star Fox characters and not the Star Fox Triple Fuc* (my bro thought of that)
Who told you Falco and Wolf were clones? I find their gamestyles WAY different than Fox's, the only thing that I can seriously point out as a stupid "cloning" is their Final Smashes (3 landmaster tanks. How anticlimactic)...

Vect0r

Smash Journeyman
Top 5 worst IMO:

1: Pichu (why??)
2: Lucas (Isn't Ness enough?)
3: Young Link (what's the point?)
4: Jigglypuff (I like her, but she isn't a necessary character)
5: ROB (what's with Nintendo's ROB fetish nowadays?)

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Sakurai kept stating that only video game characters would be included in Brawl, and as such that Pokemon Trainer wasn't based on Ash from the anime. That I understand, but why was Jigglypuff included? When did Jigglypuff ever have an important role in the games? Wasn't Jigglypuff's only ever major role the "comical" one involving a Jigglypuff following the protagonists in the anime?
I think Jiggs got in due to being popular in Japan.

Yeah, still not a very good reason, but that's essentially it.

BloodBird

Smash Journeyman
Easy choices for me
1. Sonic (I mean even in the opening sequence of Melee, it says Nintendo's All-Stars, whether or not fans want it, hes not Nintendo and shouldn't be in it.)
2. Snake (Same reason as Sonic)
3. R.O.B (Never featured in a Game)
4. Mr. Game and Watch (Same as R.O.B, I mean technacally, he is a system)
5. Dr. Mario (Of all the clones, in which I think there should have been none, he is the most exact copy of any character, he is mario with one move chane that isn't even a move change, a pill instead of a fireball, lame.)

SMAAAASH!

Smash Cadet
Mario
Link
Samus
Kirby
Captain Falcon.

All of those should go cause none of their franchises have done a **** thing for Nintendo.

Shadow13

Smash Journeyman
Who told you Falco and Wolf were clones? I find their gamestyles WAY different than Fox's, the only thing that I can seriously point out as a stupid "cloning" is their Final Smashes (3 landmaster tanks. How anticlimactic)...
yeah there are differneces, but they all have guns, reflectors, the illusion attack (sideB, just because they all have different names), fire (insert animal here)
all the same FS, and Wolf's is kinda dumb, a Tank doesn't need to have more power vs. more time on screen

Shadow13

Smash Journeyman
1. Pichu - But then again, in the right hands he could be pretty formidable.
2. Dr. Mario - Just a waste of time if you ask me.
3. Pit - Was there really any point putting a long forgotten character in? He wasn't even ever that popular, if I recall.
4. Ice Climbers - Same as Pit.
5. R.O.B. - As much as I like him, he's only there to raise peoples awareness of him.
Kid Icarus was actually good and had a sequel (Myths and Monsters), and at least Pit and ROB are cool

Shadow13

Smash Journeyman
I think you just hate Sonic in general.
i don't hate Sonic it is just, as Sega's mascot, it seems like a ******** thing to do making him suck, totally thank Sega for letting you use Sonic in Smash Bros Brawl by making him not even an average character (granted Mario isn't spectacular either)

Shadow13

Smash Journeyman
I am pretty sure jiggs is a male.

pit
pit
pit
pit
pit
in pokemon games, Jigglypuffs can be male or female, that is how you breed them, silly
and Pit was in a really good game, and there was a sequel to that game, so IC, and to a lesser extent, GnW

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
I would not take any of Brawl's fighters out. That would be incredibly dumb; though I wouldn't have put pichu in Melee.

Tailsbrawler

Smash Rookie
Lol, I remember that day when I prayed to God for Olimar to be in(or Tails) then the next day *BAM* in the morning he was there I was like : 0_0 I over-reacted when I saw him. So I was one of those people who had a high demand for Olimar.

But there 5 should be:
1.ROB(Seriouisly?)
2.Wolf( Wolf is awesome but hes the heavier version of Fox)
3.Dont know.
4.Dont know.
5.Dont know.

Thats all.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I am just messing. I hate pit, i don't care who is in the game, as long as there is a fun character I like to play. I want Andrew (Andross's nehpew) rather than wolf lmfao.

RyuDragonKing

Smash Journeyman
1. Pichu. I liked him a lot when I was about 8, (which, come to think of it, was probably the point of his inclusion) but from a gameplay aspect, he's more or less useless.

2. Sonic. No, I'm not kidding. I hate his guts, and it's especially annoying to play on Wi-fi with every ten year old going "You're too slow!" every three seconds. The only satisfactory thing about him is that he's taken down so easily.

Top Bottom