• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5 characters who never should have been in the Smash Bros series.

GigaBowserXyZ

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu and Jigglypuff were iconic Pokemon for the first gen, and ones that loads of people know.

Iconic is not popularity and jiggs does not represent first gen.

Mewtwo got popularity from being the last Pokemon/ the film.

He was popular for being the strongest pokemon in the worldand being very useful in your party.

Pichu was for baby Pokemon in 2nd gen.
Plusle and Minum demonstrated 3rd gens double battle feature.

Out of those, the least important would be Mewtwo and Jigglypuff. That however would leave us with 4 electric rodent Pokemon.

Epic Fail here. Mewtwo was the final boss in Pokemon 1 and 2 (with lugia and ho-oh, also had a back story in red/blue/yellow, had two movies, appeared in a special event (mastermind of the mirage pokemon, created the Uber tier list for the competitive people, and ike I said the world's strongest pokemon. Jigglypuff I agree with.

Lucario is in a similar position to Mewtwo- they gain popularity from the rarity and coolness factor, making them iconic- similar to how Deoxys was so heavily wanted for Brawl by many. None of those 3 are important to the actual Pokemon gameplay, yet 2 of them got in Smash.

lucario got his fame from a movie. he's nothing like mewtwo. Also mewtwo was very useful in your party. He could kill 6 pokemon by himself during Red/Blue/Yellow's days.

Pokemon Trainer represents the original 3 starters + player character, therefore making him the most important Smash Pokemon character in reality. If anything, he could do with a change of Pokemon if he reappears in SSB4, still keeping the same 3 evolution lines, but maybe something like Bulbasaur, Charmeleon, and Blastoise. However, this would cause controversy, as a lot of Pokemon fans class Charizard to be the best Pokemon since sliced bread.

In conclusion, the Pokemon franchise should be like this for the next game.

Pikachu
Plusle and Minum
Pokemon Trainer

For the remaining 4 who have been left out, Mewtwo, Lucario, Jigglypuff, and Pichu, it could come down to popularity, but that would mean Mewtwo and Lucario, no doubt about it. However, since Mewtwo and Lucario play similarly, and there are already 2 first gen Pokemon then Lucario would be the best choice. Between Pichu and Jigglypuff the most logical choice would be the unique character, Jigglypuff, so she should stay in.

*epic facepalm* mewtwo and lucario are NOT similar. if you say mewtwo and lucario are clones then jigglypuff is a clone of kirby. Also, Mewtwo is more important than lucario so mewtwo will the one to get in. Oh and mewtwo is a legendary rep.

However, I have a feeling that Lucario's popularity will die out in a few years, similar to Deoxys.

Which is also why mewtwo propbaly be chosen for ssb4 instead of lucario.

Responds are in red.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Iconic is not popularity and jiggs does not represent first gen.

Jigglypuff was insanely popular in Japan. That's why she appeared in SSB.

He was popular for being the strongest pokemon in the worldand being very useful in your party.

Yes Mewtwo was strong, but a key thing about his uber status on R/B/Y was because his only weakness was bug until G/S/C. The first movie was also a booster for his popularity.

Epic Fail here. Mewtwo was the final boss in Pokemon 1 and 2 (with lugia and ho-oh, also had a back story in red/blue/yellow, had two movies, appeared in a special event (mastermind of the mirage pokemon, created the Uber tier list for the competitive people, and ike I said the world's strongest pokemon. Jigglypuff I agree with.

Mewtwo had a backstory?!
Oh right, those books in Cinnibar Island.
About him creating the Uber tier list is like saying Meta Knight is the most important SSBB character because he's in SS tier :ohwell:.
I thought you said his movies weren't important in his popularity though?????

lucario got his fame from a movie. he's nothing like mewtwo. Also mewtwo was very useful in your party. He could kill 6 pokemon by himself during Red/Blue/Yellow's days.

Lucario was a rare bipedal "cool" Pokemon who could communicate with speech and featured in a movie, and is useful in your party.
Similarities?
Saying Mewtwo could kill 6 Pokemon is like saying I could kill 6 level 3 Oddish with a level 100 Psyduck.

*epic facepalm* mewtwo and lucario are NOT similar. if you say mewtwo and lucario are clones then jigglypuff is a clone of kirby. Also, Mewtwo is more important than lucario so mewtwo will the one to get in. Oh and mewtwo is a legendary rep.

I remember the part in my post when I said when they were clones.
Oh wait, that didn't happen.

Mewtwo and Lucario are similar in Brawl. If you count the reasons I gave just, that proves they are similar outside SSB. Their B move is a projectile, and their side B moves 'grab' their opponent. If I'm not mistaken, those are two similarities between the characters.
The comment about Jigglypuff and Kirby is childish, so I'll ignore that.

So when it comes down to it, your argument for Mewtwo is that you like him and he is a legendary. *sigh*.

Which is also why mewtwo propbaly be chosen for ssb4 instead of lucario.

Lucario has more chance than Mewtwo at this point. That's like saying Roy has a bigger chance over Ike, or Pichu has a bigger chance over Jigglypuff.
Responses in blue.

The_Rake

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff used Fly!
It's super effective!

You mean like that? Or the fact that Jigglypuff, the "balloon" pokemon, can inflate itself?
I meant the whole inflate itself part, and you're quite right. My mistake

And Gigabowser, I do agree with jimmy in part. Just to clarify he said Mewtwo and Lucario were similar not clones, huge difference right there. I can think of numerous ways they are similar. To list a few
Neutral B
Up B
Slow smashes
Powerful Throws
Fast/long sidestep
Big second jump
Floaty
Light/med frame

These are merely their similarities, they have more differences however making it absurd to regard one as the others clone.

Just want to say as well that pokemon trainer represents every die hard pokemon fans first memories of the game, it combines the 3 starters in a way that means that each pokemon is very different to the others. Think what squitle, bulbasaur and charmander would have been like...

GigaBowserXyZ

Smash Journeyman
I meant the whole inflate itself part, and you're quite right. My mistake

And Gigabowser, I do agree with jimmy in part. Just to clarify he said Mewtwo and Lucario were similar not clones, huge difference right there. I can think of numerous ways they are similar. To list a few
Neutral B
Up B
Slow smashes
Powerful Throws
Fast/long sidestep
Big second jump
Floaty
Light/med frame

These are merely their similarities, they have more differences however making it absurd to regard one as the others clone.

So if they aren't going to be clones in any ssb game then why worry if they are in the same smash?

Just want to say as well that pokemon trainer represents every die hard pokemon fans first memories of the game, it combines the 3 starters in a way that means that each pokemon is very different to the others. Think what squitle, bulbasaur and charmander would have been like...
Responces in red

Zesse

Smash Rookie
1. Snake (Yay guns and bombs?)
2. Pit (Who here can name his game without the use of yahoo)
3. R.O.B (......)
4. Sonic (Wheres tails)
5. Metaknight (Broken yay Nado)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
2. Pit (Who here can name his game without the use of yahoo
Kid Icarus (NES, GBA remake) and Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (Game Boy). I didn't use Google/Yahoo/whatever.

Other than that, I won't even respond correctly to your posting. <_<

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
3. R.O.B (......)
4. Sonic (Wheres tails)
Really? REALLY?!

Well, opinions, opinions :embarrass.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Yes Mewtwo was strong, but a key thing about his uber status on R/B/Y was because his only weakness was bug until G/S/C. The first movie was also a booster for his popularity.
*checks smogon*

Still an uber.

3. R.O.B (......)
4. Sonic (Wheres tails)

1. So?
2. *Raises hand* A number of us played that game when we were younger, also never underestimate retro value.
3. Again, retro value, also saved nintendo if I remember correctly.
4. Sonic is the main character, remember?
5. Ummm, so? Characters are chosen based on objective criteria, they didn't know that he'd be broken when they chose to add him.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Funny if Mario had been broken, would anyone say Mario should have been excluded?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Funny if Mario had been broken, would anyone say Mario should have been excluded?
Probably.

Got the exact same complaints about Sheik last game, especially going into Brawl.

I'll note that it only seems to apply to "cheap" good characters, I didn't see any assertions that fox was too good to be in brawl, sheik was simply "easy to use", true by melee standards but... it's melee.

The_Rake

Smash Lord
3. R.O.B (......)
4. Sonic (Wheres tails)

1.Can't say i really care for the inclusion of snake, of of my least fav characters but hey, i can think of others who shouldnt have been in
2.Dude, Kid Icarus, don't blam him just because you've never heard of him. Id never heard of ROB till mario kart ds. and heck yea, its all about retro
3. Speaking of which, hes making a comeback, hes being used in more and more Nintendo games, i see no problem with his inclusion
4. Oh come one! everyone wanted sonic in smash bros, i remember playin melee thinking sonic would be awsome in it. He was included because the vast majority of people wanted him. shame we didnt get an alternative costume looking like shadow (peach and daisy anyone?)
5. Tbh i'd never heard of him before brawl but there was only 1 kirby game i knew of (GB version) but i think hes a good inclusion

there are loads of vintage nintendo characters id have like top have seen in brawl, bomberman for one, he'd be pretty sweet. The guy from kung fu too :p

Warioman123

Smash Apprentice
3. R.O.B (......)
4. Sonic (Wheres tails)
1. Plenty of characters use these weapons.
2. Kid Icarus for the NES, Kid Icarus Of Myths And Monsters for the Gameboy. See, I can even name what system they're on. It's not that hard.
3. I agree, but I'm starting to think that there could've been worse than him.
4.In the background of Green Hill Zone. Sonic is the main character.
5. Nobody would've known he'd be broken. When I first saw the trailer for Brawl, I thought Wario would be broken with his mega farts.
BTW, what's your vendetta against Brawl newcomers?

AddictedGamer

Smash Cadet
1. I've have yet to face a pro snake, but I could see how deadly he is, being able to ko people with his foot at 0%
2. I originally thought pit would have been the broken one of this game, but meta knight came on top, to my surprise
3. I have no clue what R.O.B.'s about
4. Scr** tails, put knuckles in without the crappy rap music
5. I have no coment about MK

Edit: Spelling mistake.

The_Rake

Smash Lord
At the risk of sounding noobish (I don't often play competatively and am yet to see a meta knight user on wifi) why exactly is meta knight broken?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I was kidding, lol. He says that MK is easy to win with, which he actually isn't. Granted, he's easy to be gay with, but he's not that easy to win with. :p

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
♡I think it is safe to say that Snake is a tad bit out of place. ;)

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
♡I think it is safe to say that Snake is a tad bit out of place. ;)
But not because of his weaponry. I'd rather say because he has little to no real history with Nintendo (first game was port, second game flopped horrendously), and he only got in because Kojima is like "Yo homie" with Sakurai haha

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
But not because of his weaponry. I'd rather say because he has little to no real history with Nintendo (first game was port, second game flopped horrendously), and he only got in because Kojima is like "Yo homie" with Sakurai haha
♡If you say so Mr. Fox! ^__^

Ismael

Smash Ace
Sonic: got in for fan service. Everyone begged for him to get in. Sakurai was like "mkay".

Snake: got in because Kojima begged for him to be in and Sakurai pitied the fool. XD

Olimar: for originality.

G&W: for originality.

ROB: for originality.

Wario: let's face it, he was bound to get in eventually.

Lucas: was supposed to be in Melee, got in Brawl.

Zero Suit Samus: Noooo idea... she was just like, randomness. I guess they just wanted someone smexy.

Pit: they wanted someone they knew nobody wanted, they wanted a wtf moment at E3 apparently.

Mario: for kicks and giggles.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff really shouldn't have been in Brawl, I'm not 100% sure, but hasn't her fanbase died down a bit in japan? Would much rather have Mewtwo or something.

As for Snake, Who made his tilts so OP? I don't think Sakurai would've overlooked such huge disjointed hitboxes for someone who doesn't have a sword.

ZSS was sort of a curveball thrown in there, And who could've guessed shes more deadly without her power suit then with, I mean, whats up with that?

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Jigglypuff really shouldn't have been in Brawl, I'm not 100% sure, but hasn't her fanbase died down a bit in japan? Would much rather have Mewtwo or something.
Its fanbase has died down worldwide. It stopped appearing in the anime, it was just completely dropped from the show without warning, appearing very rarely as a filler Pokémon.

It's far outlived its welcome :embarrass

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Its fanbase has died down worldwide. It stopped appearing in the anime, it was just completely dropped from the show without warning, appearing very rarely as a filler Pokémon.

It's far outlived its welcome :embarrass
Whilst I agree with this, hasn't the same happened to Mewtwo- in regards to anime appearances that is?

Or to the majority of Pokemon for that matter?
:ohwell:

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I didn't say he wasn't an uber now.

All I said was that he was godlike in R/B/Y because his only weakness was bug until the change that happened in G/S/C.

I didn't know that meant
Uber-godlike.
In fact he is STILL an incredibly powerful uber.
name someone with such a massive movepool and incredible stats.
Arceus. Thats it.

Sonic: got in for fan service. Everyone begged for him to get in. Sakurai was like "mkay".
sakurai didn't go m'kay. i think he did it grudgingly considering how late Sonic had been added into the game.

that and Sonic vs. Mario is epic.

Warioman123

Smash Apprentice
Uber-godlike.
In fact he is STILL an incredibly powerful uber.
name someone with such a massive movepool and incredible stats.
Arceus. Thats it.

sakurai didn't go m'kay. i think he did it grudgingly considering how late Sonic had been added into the game.

that and Sonic vs. Mario is epic.
Not as epic as it would've been in the 90's.

SuperChencho

Smash Ace
Concerning Jigglypuff, considering how the other 11 original characters from the N64 version appear in Brawl, it would have been kinda odd that Jiggly didn't make it.

I'm ok with the inclusion of Brawl's roster as it is, but I was rather disappointed with the new secret characters. Perhaps more so with R.O.B., who isn't even a character in a game, but NES peripheral. Nothing against him, though. I'll still play as him.

Actually, I wish they would've kept Mewtwo. The programers should've made him work as a fighter instead of just giving him the axe.

~My two cents.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
The only character in Brawl that COULD be considred to better the game by his removal would be Ike. Primarily because he took Ganondorf's one chance at a original moveset (Sakurai obviously had the idea to give Ganon a sword considering his sword taunt).

Plus we need Roy more than someone who contrast the other three teen swordsman by being masculine. Screw slightly better diversity, Roy was adorable. <3<3<3<3

Top Bottom