• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5/17 GIGABITS - May I have another Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimiisama

Smash Apprentice
Remember 32-man bracket means that Losers' Round 5 guarantees 7th place (which is top 8); I think at that point you would have 4 people in the Winners' and 4 people in the Losers'. I was curious how far you'd have to go to get, so I screwed around with some bracket software.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Are the seed points the number of wins, or are they pre-set numbers based on the player's placement?
They are a certain number of points awarded for your numerical placement in a tournament, and the points per place are always the same regardless of the size of the tournament.

I think 1st in singles gets ~80, and 9th in singles gets ~25

getting dead last in both singles and doubles in a tourney greater than 40 people gets you ~8 points total :).

I got almost a hundred points for last gigs. Which is good because I'll probably never place top 5 again in singles.

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
Blind covered it, mostly.

the 4 32 man bracket thing seems to be in effect, instead of the 4 hour pools... x.x

The prize money will probably go as Cecil said...
it'll be 35/15/10/5/2.5/2.5 if more than 90 people show
and paying out to 4 spots (can't remember the split...and I'm too lazy to look) if fewer than 90 people

Seeding points are used to see player into their 32 man bracket....

no word yet on online registration...that's a good question... Cecil?

And it will only be one day. No problem about all the questions...that's what we're here for. : )
Your help is greatly appreciated. And I look forward to fighting your ike again.

Tapia

Smash Rookie
I'm most defiantly going have to drive over to Gigs and go play at this tourney! I heard the first gigs brawl at like 130 people! That's awesome! My first tourney was the other day at the Double Tree tourney. I met some really cool guys and some good *** players (I'm new to the brawl tourney scene) I came in 7 or 8th, forgot, out of 32. So I can't wait to play with even better people and more of them :p

Also, i'll bandwagon and say 40/20/10

BTW: Crom!! I'm training and coming for you! (haha good games) :chuckle:

I hope that Ryan sparks guy is there again too, i need to beat his DK!

-- Tapia

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
they are gonna do top 8 from each 32 man bracket and them put those into their own bracket...but how are they gonna get the top 8? I was thinking, and there are few ways to do it.

-Play until there are 4 winners on the winners side, then play out the losers bracket until 4 remain. obviously, the later you lose in winners, the better your chances are. If you lose for the 1st time before the final 4 winners are determined, you are pretty much guaranteed into the top 8 since others would be eliminated before you. This would be the shorter method. In this way, the winners bracket would go to round 3 (to get 4 winners), while the losers would go to round 4 (to get 4 losers)

-Play out the entire 32 man bracket as if it were its own tournament, as in, play out the winners and losers bracket completely instead of stopping at certain points. Obviously, this one would take longer, but at least you wouldn't have to do the grand finals. This method differs from the first one, in which this method the entire winners bracket is played out along with the losers, instead of stopping at rounds 3 and 4 for the winners and losers brackets, respectively.

So, which method is gigs gonna do? I prefer the 1st one since its the shorter one

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Whether they play out the 32 man bracket is completely dependent on whether they are doing full seeding or just using it for elimination. Given their history, I'd say it's MUCH more likely that they are doing the 'pool' bracket just for elims. In that case, just to avoid confusion to every involved, I made a test bracket.

Click Here

the first round is neither winners nor losers. each subsequent round is winner/loser #, where # is the number of rounds into the tournament you are. i.e. after the first game, people are separated into Loser 1 and Winner 1

Start ------ 32 ENTRANTS
First round plays, nobody is eliminated, 16 are moved to loser 1, 16 proceed to Winner 1. ------ 32 PLAYERS
Loser 1 plays, and 8 people are gone, 8 go to Loser 2 ------ 24 PLAYERS
Winner 1 plays, nobody is eliminated, 8 people go to Loser 2, 8 advance to winner 2 ------ 24 PLAYERS
Loser 2 plays, 8 people are eliminated, 8 go to loser 3 ------ 16 PLAYERS
Winner 2 plays, 4 go to Loser 4, 4 go to winner 3 ------ 16 PLAYERS
Loser 3 plays, 4 people are eliminated, 4 go to loser 4 ------ 12 PLAYERS
Loser 4 plays, 4 people are eliminated, 4 go to loser 5 ------ 8 PLAYERS

and then you have a top 8, which I'm assuming Gigabits will stop with.

That means:

First round loss, and you have to win four matches
first round win, second round loss, and you have to win 3 more matches
First and second round wins, 3rd round loss, and you have to win 1 more match
first through third round wins, and you're in

so yeah, just a bit of info on how this system works.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Whether they play out the 32 man bracket is completely dependent on whether they are doing full seeding or just using it for elimination. Given their history, I'd say it's MUCH more likely that they are doing the 'pool' bracket just for elims. In that case, just to avoid confusion to every involved, I made a test bracket.

Click Here

the first round is neither winners nor losers. each subsequent round is winner/loser #, where # is the number of rounds into the tournament you are. i.e. after the first game, people are separated into Loser 1 and Winner 1

Start ------ 32 ENTRANTS
First round plays, nobody is eliminated, 16 are moved to loser 1, 16 proceed to Winner 1. ------ 32 PLAYERS
Loser 1 plays, and 8 people are gone, 8 go to Loser 2 ------ 24 PLAYERS
Winner 1 plays, nobody is eliminated, 8 people go to Loser 2, 8 advance to winner 2 ------ 24 PLAYERS
Loser 2 plays, 8 people are eliminated, 8 go to loser 3 ------ 16 PLAYERS
Winner 2 plays, 4 go to Loser 4, 4 go to winner 3 ------ 16 PLAYERS
Loser 3 plays, 4 people are eliminated, 4 go to loser 4 ------ 12 PLAYERS
Loser 4 plays, 4 people are eliminated, 4 go to loser 5 ------ 8 PLAYERS

and then you have a top 8, which I'm assuming Gigabits will stop with.

That means:

First round loss, and you have to win four matches
first round win, second round loss, and you have to win 3 more matches
First and second round wins, 3rd round loss, and you have to win 1 more match
first through third round wins, and you're in

so yeah, just a bit of info on how this system works.
oh, so its the 1st method that i said. Thanks for the info

Jimiisama

Smash Apprentice
Basically, making it to Losers' Round 5 guarantees you 8th place, so you only have to play until that bracket. I think 4 losers should make it to Round 5, and that leaves 4 people in the Winner's Semi's; at that point you can stop the bracket.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
My question is how do things proceed after the top 8 (32 total)? I'm guessing you divide it into a 16-winner and 16-loser, or else it wouldn't be true double elim. Thinking about it, with the winners trickling down as they lost, someone in the losers would have to survive like, 10 rounds to make it to the finals, which would be 14 or so total if they lost their very first match from before. Is that how it goes?

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
My question is how do things proceed after the top 8 (32 total)? I'm guessing you divide it into a 16-winner and 16-loser, or else it wouldn't be true double elim. Thinking about it, with the winners trickling down as they lost, someone in the losers would have to survive like, 10 rounds to make it to the finals, which would be 14 or so total if they lost their very first match from before. Is that how it goes?
after they get the top 8 from each bracket and make it into the final 32 man bracket, everything resets. They make the final bracket based on seeding points, and its played out entirely as double elim. As in, it doesnt matter if you made it into the final bracket by losing a game in your 1st bracket, cause its a clean slate for the final bracket

this whole 4 seperate bracket things seems to be about the same speed if not faster than pools, AND eliminates more people in the process. Good stuff

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
it should be a LOT faster...and it will eliminate people faster, so the store will become less crowded.

Since one person can call all the matches, you're not relying on players running pools, and it just keeps things flowing better....should go a lot faster. Overall a good system.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
it should be a LOT faster...and it will eliminate people faster, so the store will become less crowded.

Since one person can call all the matches, you're not relying on players running pools, and it just keeps things flowing better....should go a lot faster. Overall a good system.
well, if they have the manpower, they might want to have 1 person run each mini-tourney just so one person isnt stuck with having to call out every single match over the crowd noise, and with that many games, it may take awhile to call out the opponents for a match that could've already been played had one person been over that particular bracket

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
You don't. >_>
well, they said they may prereg for this tourney, but they arent quite sure yet. Im sure they'll announce it when its determined

polmex, you better be there...and i swear to god, you better get me that video i been wanting since brawl bash II already

Samus_ABe

Smash Ace
well, they said they may prereg for this tourney, but they arent quite sure yet. Im sure they'll announce it when its determined

polmex, you better be there...and i swear to god, you better get me that video i been wanting since brawl bash II already

rofl im still waiting on polmex videos too, im not sure why he cant take 5 minutes to put em up.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
rofl im still waiting on polmex videos too, im not sure why he cant take 5 minutes to put em up.
*******s xD. I have to transfer the vid from vhs to dvd, then, since I forgot to due somthin with the dvd recorder, gotta do it all over again. even the tourney i was just at (darkside 2), then, render an slice the vid to each seperate match, then put the **** on youtube. ok, it shouldnt be this complicated but ****it, it is xD. Give me a week xD. Good lord =)

Finch

Smash Lord
Everyone's moving out of their dorms and I came back from a final and saw someone had left out a TV with a piece of duct tape on it that says "I Eat Tapes" so I ninja'd that ***** and now I have a nice little 13" for free.

Kei-Kei

Smash Cadet
LoL nice with the tv.... just make sure you dont use a tape on it i guess ... but then again.. not many people use tapes anymore =O but its nice to just find a tv laying around XD

on another note, this system looks interesting! =O definitely excited about this tourney !~

Raistlin

Smash Lord
Everyone's moving out of their dorms and I came back from a final and saw someone had left out a TV with a piece of duct tape on it that says "I Eat Tapes" so I ninja'd that ***** and now I have a nice little 13" for free.
Lol, good ****, sir.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
dont worry about that thing. me and force planned to bring 1-2 tvs anyway , and with you probably riding with us, we might not have the space.

You gotta AIM me later today when im off work. I think you're in Lakeland by now, right?

vericz

Smash Champion
eric has my tv
Yea, ill get it to you next time im over at your house

WATO brought 4 set-ups last gigs. we ****. btw, me and hbox are going for at least 3rd place. 4th place is wack. you dont get ish. we're even gayer than ever. our new team name is "an even gayer hungrybox."

-hiro
We need to do a smashfest or something, this saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom