• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V4 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
i honestly think there's still plenty of room for the game to develop, but no-one's bothering because "just wait for ultimate bro xD" is such a dominant mindset rn

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Dabuz posted his thoughts on most every demo character in a google doc here, it's worth a read:

EDIT: How does Ryu always face forwards help him deal with his weaknesses, assuming they were all kept the same? (Poor mobility, weakness to being juggled, difficulty catching people). It seems like they're making him stronger without addressing his issues.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
His mobility is directly linked to his home game.

His true issue was a lack of cohesion between his neutral and his win condition.

System changes alone amend that.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
According to Dabuz, Marth can sh double fair again.

It almost feels like a letter to the Melee and Brawl players who left Marth. Wonder if Mr. R will go back to his sword boy.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
lol.

Emperor of Altea coming to take over countries and add to his army.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Speaking of Ryu

In reality what's going to happen is that while Nintendo targets characters that displays attributes of possible overpoweredness, some character not in the demo is gonna slip by the sensors and dominate the scene.

Watch it be Wii Fit Trainer.

Ordeaux26

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ordeaux
In reality what's going to happen is that while Nintendo targets characters that displays attributes of possible overpoweredness, some character not in the demo is gonna slip by the sensors and dominate the scene.

Watch it be Wii Fit Trainer.
if that happens Nintendo could just patch them

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Dabuz's thoughts on Kirby are more or less in line with my own. It's really hard to rate him right now because his buffs would be kind of meh in Smash 4. His recovery would be fixed some, a bit more kill power, etc...

But the reason he seems so same-y is that his buffs come from the system. I wrote a huge post about it on the Ultimate Kirby boards, but basically... Most of his improvements come from the system weakening things he struggled with and enhancing his own abilities.

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
With moves being able to be paried, it's a nerf to moves like Jr and Fox's dairs because they'll be even less safe on shield especially Jr's. I speculate that Jr's best option out of a dash will be jab 1 because it's his fastest grounded move.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Dabuz posted his thoughts on most every demo character in a google doc here, it's worth a read:

EDIT: How does Ryu always face forwards help him deal with his weaknesses, assuming they were all kept the same? (Poor mobility, weakness to being juggled, difficulty catching people). It seems like they're making him stronger without addressing his issues.
DaNotes is back.

It should be noted that Bowser's jumpsquat is now frame 3 like the rest of the cast. This pretty much alleviates one of Bowser's biggest weaknesses throughout the series.

Last edited:

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318

Means that SH Aerial's will be less damage. It stack's with the 1V1 Mutiplier. Math is (1.2 * 0.85 = 1.02) still more damage

This was probably done to make sure some Aerial's don't become ridiculous in 1V1's. Along with move's staling on sheild, this a big nerf to character's that like to space aerial's on sheild. :4bayonetta::4cloud::4zss::4marth::4lucina:

Last edited:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
I'm... sort of okay with that? It really seems like Ultimate's meta is going to move towards edgeguarding in a big way as opposed to throwing out errant aerials in hopes to take stocks. I don't entirely know how to feel about it yet until I see it in action more, a lot of it is going to come down to how the KB changes too.

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace

Means that SH Aerial's will be less damage. It stack's with the 1V1 Mutiplier. Math is (1.2 * 0.85 = 1.02) still more damage

This was probably done to make sure some Aerial's don't become ridiculous in 1V1's. Along with move's staling on sheild, this a big nerf to character's that like to space aerial's on sheild. :4bayonetta::4cloud::4zss::4marth::4lucina:
Ehhh, I’m not convinced it necessarily means that. We don’t know what else has changed to underlying systems, like shield stun. This is likely a compensation for reduced landing lag across the board.

I mean, we already know Marth can do two Fairs out of SH. And with less KB on SH aerials, combo potential may compensate for the reduced damage output.

This also doesn’t apply to full hop aerials, sooo...

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
The change helps so that characters especially characters with strong large hitboxes (Cloud/Bayo Bair) are further discouraged from spamming them on shield when you factor in the increased damage outputs across the board which affects knockback. It also helps with combos especially for weaker moves designed to combo (Ness Fair) not get completed ruined by the increased damage output overall. I don't think it's going to have a large detrimental effect since it's just a .02x multipler but it's should be noticeable

ARISTOS

Smash Ace

Aerials could still be strong on shield (we don't know the impact of shield stun yet).

Overall Ultimate seems to really want grounded options to be much stronger than they have in the past. A lot of bad Smash 4 characters will heavily benefit from this as a lot of them had weak aerials and good grounded moves but no way to easily incorporate them into their playstyle.

ReVerbIsSuperb

Smash Cadet
I mean, we already know Marth can do two Fairs out of SH.
Actually, this was a misconception. Mr. R himself confirmed on Twitter that this isn't possible and I also still haven't seen any videos of it actually being done. Dabuz said he must have remembered/heard/saw wrong. Also this tweet correcting a few mistakes he made in his doc:

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
quick post for June stuff, need to be updating OrionRank stuff and I'm a lil behind on this

JUNE DATA WRITE-UP

junechart.png

junetier.png

Monthly character movements:

Sheik +1.7%
Sonic +1.1%
Meta Knight +0.8%
Duck Hunt +0.7%
Mega Man +0.5%
Fox +0.4%
Corrin +0.4%
Marth +0.3%
Bayonetta +0.2%
Luigi +0.1%
Pikachu +0.1%
Lucina +0.1%
Lucas +0.1%
Rosalina & Luma +0.1%

Donkey Kong = 1.5%
Toon Link = 1.4%

Mario -0.1%
Olimar -0.1%
Cloud -0.2%
Ryu -0.2%
Mewtwo -0.3%
Bowser -0.3%
Mr. Game & Watch -0.3%
Captain Falcon -0.4%
ZeroSuit Samus -0.5%
Peach -0.6%
Wario -0.6%
Shulk -0.7%
Ness -0.7%
Diddy Kong -1%

Bayonetta: 492
Cloud: 374.25
Diddy Kong: 283.25
Sheik: 264.25
Fox: 216.5
Zero Suit Samus: 199.25
Rosalina & Luma: 194.5
Sonic: 185.25
Mario: 157.25
Mewtwo: 141.5
Ryu: 123.5
Meta Knight: 116.5
Marth: 104.75
Peach: 91.5
Luigi: 89.5
Corrin: 85.5
Pikachu: 80.5
Captain Falcon: 73.25
Donkey Kong: 60.5
Mega Man: 60.5
Toon Link: 60
Ness: 58.5
Olimar: 52.5
Duck Hunt: 48
Wario: 39.5
Lucas: 39.5
Mr. Game & Watch: 39.5
Shulk: 39
Lucina: 38.5
R.O.B.: 31.75
Bowser: 30.75
Greninja: 27
Roy: 27
Samus: 23.5
Villager: 22
Robin: 20
Little Mac: 18
Pac-Man: 18
Link: 17
Yoshi: 15
Ganondorf: 15
Bowser Jr.: 14
King Dedede: 13.75
Charizard: 12.25
Lucario: 12
Kirby: 6
Wii Fit Trainer: 5.5
Jigglypuff: 5.5
Palutena: 5
Ike: 5
Pit: 3
Zelda: 3
Falco: 1.5
Mii Brawler: 1
Mii Gunner: 1

Results Thread: https://smashboards.com/threads/tournament-placing-database-scoring-project.437773/

Methodology: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jks0EtmeNemKsm2rXzYf8RB3D43-Ru23ypx_DOnQPDY/edit?usp=sharing

Previous Months: https://smashboards.com/threads/4br...nsight-analysis.452108/page-146#post-22140299

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Cool to see Mega Man that high up.

It is also interesting to see Ganon's results still exceeding Dedede's results for this month, despite Zaki's efforts. Then again, Ganon is more common and also got a strong Hyrule Saga weekend, such as Pon upsetting Ally at Triforce Friday, and Rickles getting 49th (far exceeding Ganon's expected seeding) at Hyrule Saga while defeating K9, while other Ganon players got higher than their expected seeding at the same time.

Iridium

Smash Hero

It is also interesting to see Ganon's results still exceeding Dedede's results for this month, despite Zaki's efforts. Then again, Ganon is more common and also got a strong Hyrule Saga weekend, such as Pon upsetting Ally at Triforce Friday, and Rickles getting 49th (far exceeding Ganon's expected seeding) at Hyrule Saga while defeating K9, while other Ganon players got higher than their expected seeding at the same time.
I really wonder how much Hyrule Saga would have helped specific characters. T barely missed top 32 by a game 5 loss, as well as Sigma and yeti, while 3xA also placed the same. T did alright, but a PGR win on Tyroy would have meant something. His best win at Triforce Friday/Hyrule Saga was Ally himself, then Kameme.

ReVerbIsSuperb

Smash Cadet
This doesn't apply to that June Results Chart because this happened like 3 days ago, but Loading recently got 5th at Albion 3 out of 266 entrants w/ Solo MegaMan and Yeti got 9th out of 175 entrants at Showdown Battle Royale 3 which is pretty hype. Their playstyles were refreshing to see. Both of them need to travel more though, fr.

On a side note, as expected, Greninja is as low as ever because Somé, Lea, Elexiao, iStudying, Venia, etc don't travel to the super large US Majors and haven't done so in a long time. In fact, most of the notable Greninja players barely travel to their OWN region's larger tournaments. I'm so sad lmao. (Shoutouts to Stroder representin tho!)

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I was really impressed with Cloudy's Roy at SF7 doubles GF yesterday. Sure, it's sort of a function of double Cloud being banned, but it was very obviously effective.

Roy has a worse neutral than Marthcina, but some wicked punish options that really show in doubles. Bair, dash attack, and u-smash are all very scary things to be thrown into or recovering around, and F-smash is a nearly Ganon-tier read punish (or shield break punish) attached to a character with a run speed conducive to doubles.

He's probably more similar to Cloud than any other character. With significant Cloud nerfs, a lot to gain from options out of a fast dash, and potentially attractive SH aerials with just a little less lag, Roy could be a sleeper hit of the Ulti characters we haven't seen yet.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Smash Factor 7 (308 Entrants) (Mexico)

1st: ANTi:4mario::4zss::4cloud2:
2nd: Larry Lurr:4fox:
3rd: Fatality:4falcon:
4th: Wonf:4bayonetta2::4sonic:
5th: NAKAT:4ness:
5th: Nery:4bayonetta:
7th: QROG:4fox:
7th: Bedgar:4sheik:
9th: Chag:4bayonetta2:
9th: Rox:4sheik::4metaknight:
9th: Yei:4marth::4lucina:
9th: Klein:4ryu:
13th: Sou:4dk:
13th: Genialo:4rob:
13th: Javi:4sheik::4cloud:
13th: ByranZZ:4diddy:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Smash Factor 7 (308 Entrants) (Mexico)

1st: ANTi:4mario::4zss::4cloud2:
2nd: Larry Lurr:4fox:
3rd: Fatality:4falcon:
4th: Wonf:4bayonetta2::4sonic:
5th: NAKAT:4ness:
5th: Nery:4bayonetta:
7th: QROG:4fox:
7th: Bedgar:4sheik:
9th: Chag:4bayonetta2:
9th: Rox:4sheik::4metaknight:
9th: Yei:4marth::4lucina:
9th: Klein:4ryu:
13th: Sou:4dk:
13th: Genialo:4rob:
13th: Javi:4sheik::4cloud:
13th: ByranZZ:4diddy:
Yei also won a game with :4feroy: against ANTi's :4zss:. Also, do you know what happened to Mekos? I heard he got 49th, but I don't know what his losses were.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Yei also won a game with :4feroy: against ANTi's :4zss:. Also, do you know what happened to Mekos? I heard he got 49th, but I don't know what his losses were.
Mekos lost to FCQ :4diddy: (strong player from Monterrey, but they don't have a power ranking to my knowledge so it's hard to tell exactly how strong in his region he is) and Kadez :4corrinf: (best player in Saltillo, which Nery, Genialo, Daimy :4fox: and Ang:4tlink: are also from). Also worth noting Hyuga lost to Nery and FuerzaDON :4shulk: for 49th and Waymas :4wario: lost to Jasshy :4myfriends: and Javi for 65th.

Top 64 and bracket's in the Tournament Tracker thread.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Mekos lost to FCQ :4diddy: (strong player from Monterrey, but they don't have a power ranking to my knowledge so it's hard to tell exactly how strong in his region he is) and Kadez :4corrinf: (best player in Saltillo, which Nery, Genialo, Daimy :4fox: and Ang:4tlink: are also from). Also worth noting Hyuga lost to Nery and FuerzaDON :4shulk: for 49th and Waymas :4wario: lost to Jasshy :4myfriends: and Javi for 65th.

Top 64 and bracket's in the Tournament Tracker thread.
So this basically was Mexico's 2GGC: Civil War, right? I do wish Serge went though.

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
I was really impressed with Cloudy's Roy at SF7 doubles GF yesterday. Sure, it's sort of a function of double Cloud being banned, but it was very obviously effective.

Roy has a worse neutral than Marthcina, but some wicked punish options that really show in doubles. Bair, dash attack, and u-smash are all very scary things to be thrown into or recovering around, and F-smash is a nearly Ganon-tier read punish (or shield break punish) attached to a character with a run speed conducive to doubles.

He's probably more similar to Cloud than any other character. With significant Cloud nerfs, a lot to gain from options out of a fast dash, and potentially attractive SH aerials with just a little less lag, Roy could be a sleeper hit of the Ulti characters we haven't seen yet.
Yeah, Roy could get really good in Ultimate, especially if he still has throw combos, which his trailer made it look like he did, and extra especially if tech rolls are worse. That said, he may lose his best Sm4sh neutral tool to the new powershield mechanics due to Nair becoming parry bait, especially if shieldstun stays the same, which would mean just dropping shield after Nair 1 hits it would be a free punish.

Top Bottom