• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V4 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The "rule" I was referring to was Bayonetta being allowed to up-b again after using her double jump. (This is how it was originally explained when bayo was introduced) Being able to up-b again without consuming double jump violates this. As if there was any doubt, you can only achieve this with a specific input timing.

And yeah, this is not at the heart off the ladder, just the worst case. That's why in my wishlist I listed SDI ratios, rather than focus on this case.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
In particular the idea that Smash 4 doesn't have a spacing triangle is pretty wacky--we're talking about the successor to Brawl, the most spacing-heavy fighting game of all time. If anything, for Brawl in particular I'd sooner buy the opposite argument: That Brawl's obsessive focus on spacing marginalizes all of its other triangles. Smash 4 is chock full of triangles, and the idea that it is just raw, unoriented RPS is a really bizarre thing to say on page 148 of topic 6 in a competitive forum 4 years after release.
Can you elaborate on this a little?

I felt Smash 4 was a big shift away from the spacing oriented style of Brawl. Outside of characters like Marth, Diddy Kong and arguably Bayonetta and Cloud, most characters don't have the tools to utilize the spacing triangle as often. Compared to Brawl which had a lot more autocancel aerials and significantly less punishable projectile games, along with reduced risk for getting hit, Smash 4 has a lot more risk to attempting pokes and deep pokes and is more focused on whiff punish.

Without a sufficient amount of strong ranged grounded moves, you see a lot of top players trying to reposition themselves by either doing a short hop aerial, double jump away, or roll when they whiff a move, especially on when they cannot retreat to a platform. I see most meaningful interactions that involve spacing when an opponent lands (e.g. short hop aerial, tomahawk grab/attack, cross ups) but landing is still an unfavorable position. You can see this with Fox vs. Mewtwo as there are a solid amount of ways both characters to land but neither of them want to be in that position where they are above their opponent. I feel grounded interactions are more prominent (as it is safer than committing to landing), with its prevalent shield dominant play and counterplay (run up shield, run up grab, shield drop punish, cross up on shield) that feels all the more important to getting meaningful damage.

Forgive me if I seem a little short sighted as I haven't been on this forum or this thread for a long time. The metagame surely has progressed a lot since then. But these are my impressions of sets I have looked at recently (including Tweek vs. Mr. R from last weekend).
Give Palutena Super Speed. Please.
  • :( Tbqh she looks like the worst character. (If you put a gun to my head and made me pick one) None of the systematic changes work in her favor, and her specials all still seem mediocre.
I doubt Jigglypuff and Wii Fit Trainer got too many meaningful changes, so I wouldn't call her the worst. But even if Palutena is worse than Zelda in this game, I'm going to cry.

I genuinely don't know what Sakurai is trying to do with her. Is she supposed to force approaches? Is she supposed to pressure with her strong dash and throw game? I seems like Sakurai designed her as a character with free-for-alls and customs in mind and didn't emphasize her viability for 1v1s. My guess was he was concerned about her ranged attacks like her specials, smash attacks and tilts being too abusable in Smash 4's development, so he made them easy to punish. I don't really get it though when we have a game with Marth and Cloud in it :drshrug:

But I heard dash attack is frame 4 now and ftilt is frame 8? Yay?

I still don't get why her fsmash and dsmash have a windbox

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
If it is true, then Sakurai has made no mention of it at all, in any sources, let alone be intentional. It is almost like Sakurai never knew about it until the invitational. I don't really think it was created in order to be faithful to the source material, and is rather a coiencidence that this glitch is connected to something from her games.
Bayonetta being able to jump after Up B 1 and Up B 2 is 100% intentionally coded into the game btw
Pls read, IT IS INTENTIONAL THEREFORE HE KNOWS ABOUT IT

ProfessorVincent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Alexim
3DS FC
2105-8719-2070
Nope, but people will still do it anyway because they're stupid and too lazy to ever research/ask.
Ok, I'll be stupid, but not lazy. How do you know it's a glitch? I get it that she is supposed to be able to up b with tap jump without risking losing the double jump, but why doesn't she lose the double jump anyway after the second witch twist? Especially if double jumping is the condition for her to be able to do the second witch twist to begin with.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Ok, I'll be stupid, but not lazy. How do you know it's a glitch? I get it that she is supposed to be able to up b with tap jump without risking losing the double jump, but why doesn't she lose the double jump anyway after the second witch twist? Especially if double jumping is the condition for her to be able to do the second witch twist to begin with.
Bayonetta's ability to retain her jump during jump > up-b is written into script_2304 of MSC from my knowledge and the frame window to do it is coded into the param files.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Can you elaborate on this a little?

I felt Smash 4 was a big shift away from the spacing oriented style of Brawl. Outside of characters like Marth, Diddy Kong and arguably Bayonetta and Cloud, most characters don't have the tools to utilize the spacing triangle as often. Compared to Brawl which had a lot more autocancel aerials and significantly less punishable projectile games, along with reduced risk for getting hit, Smash 4 has a lot more risk to attempting pokes and deep pokes and is more focused on whiff punish.

Without a sufficient amount of strong ranged grounded moves, you see a lot of top players trying to reposition themselves by either doing a short hop aerial, double jump away, or roll when they whiff a move, especially on when they cannot retreat to a platform. I see most meaningful interactions that involve spacing when an opponent lands (e.g. short hop aerial, tomahawk grab/attack, cross ups) but landing is still an unfavorable position. You can see this with Fox vs. Mewtwo as there are a solid amount of ways both characters to land but neither of them want to be in that position where they are above their opponent. I feel grounded interactions are more prominent (as it is safer than committing to landing), with its prevalent shield dominant play and counterplay (run up shield, run up grab, shield drop punish, cross up on shield) that feels all the more important to getting meaningful damage.

Forgive me if I seem a little short sighted as I haven't been on this forum or this thread for a long time. The metagame surely has progressed a lot since then. But these are my impressions of sets I have looked at recently (including Tweek vs. Mr. R from last weekend).

I doubt Jigglypuff and Wii Fit Trainer got too many meaningful changes, so I wouldn't call her the worst. But even if Palutena is worse than Zelda in this game, I'm going to cry.

I genuinely don't know what Sakurai is trying to do with her. Is she supposed to force approaches? Is she supposed to pressure with her strong dash and throw game? I seems like Sakurai designed her as a character with free-for-alls and customs in mind and didn't emphasize her viability for 1v1s. My guess was he was concerned about her ranged attacks like her specials, smash attacks and tilts being too abusable in Smash 4's development, so he made them easy to punish. I don't really get it though when we have a game with Marth and Cloud in it :drshrug:

But I heard dash attack is frame 4 now and ftilt is frame 8? Yay?

I still don't get why her fsmash and dsmash have a windbox
If Palu still has grab confirms and the same aerials I think she'll be ok, not even close to the worst character. Sucks that her fsmash and dsmash are still the same, they could at the very least make the windboxes stronger so you can actually do something with them like gimp opponents or make them safe on whiff.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
If Palu still has grab confirms and the same aerials I think she'll be ok, not even close to the worst character. Sucks that her fsmash and dsmash are still the same, they could at the very least make the windboxes stronger so you can actually do something with them like gimp opponents or make them safe on whiff.
Almost everyone else got stupid buffed though. While probably not the worst character, but probably underpowered in terms of the cast.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
so, with the season now officially over..........thoughts on what pgr top ten will be?
MkLeo will be #1, Nairo & Tweek #2 & #3 (potentially interchangeable), Dabuz #4, not sure beyond that, but Mistake will likely be in the top 10.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
so, with the season now officially over..........thoughts on what pgr top ten will be?
MkLeo #1, Tweek #2, Dabuz or Nairo #3/#4, Mistake or Salem #5/#6. #7-#10 is hard to predict, but Cosmos, Samsora, komorokiri, Fatality, Mr. R, and Larry Lurr are the top candidates. Edit: Captain Zack as well.

Raito might make top 20, potentially.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Mistake is very unlikely not Top 10, and depending on how much individual sets count, Captain Zack could also be Top 10 given he had two very long losers runs back-to-back (for both Hyrule Saga and CEO).
:196:

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Mistake is very unlikely not Top 10, and depending on how much individual sets count, Captain Zack could also be Top 10 given he had two very long losers runs back-to-back (for both Hyrule Saga and CEO).
:196:
When talking about CaptainZack, we also can't forget about his run at Glitch (the main tournament that put him back in the running imo)

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
This is my prediction for the PGR v5.

1st: MKLeo:4marth::4cloud2:(:4bayonetta2::4lucina:) +3
2nd: Tweek:4bayonetta::4cloud2:(:4dk:) +3
3rd: Nairo:4zss:(:4bowser::4cloud:) 0
4th: Dabuz:rosalina:(:4olimar:) +2
5th: Mistake:4bayonetta2:(:4peach::4zss:) +8
6th: VoiD:4sheik:(:4zss::4fox:) +3
7th: Cosmos:4corrinf: +10
8th: komorikiri:4cloud2::4sonic:(:4corrinf:) +8
9th: Samsora:4peach:(:rosalina:) +13
10th: Salem:4bayonetta: -8
11th: Fatality:4falcon:(:4ganondorf::4jigglypuff:) +27
12th: Captain Zack:4bayonetta2:(:4peach:) +6
13th: Mr. R:4sheik: -3
14th: Larry Lurr:4fox:(:4diddy:) -4
15th: WaDi:4mewtwo:(:4rob:) -3
16th: Lima:4bayonetta2:(:4peach:) +8
17th: Light:4fox: +23
18th: Abadango:4bayonetta::4mewtwo: -3
19th: ANTi:4mario::4cloud2::4zss:(:substitute:) +1
20th: falln:rosalina: +22
21st: ESAM:4pikachu:(:4samus:) 0
22nd: SDX:4mewtwo: New
23rd: Elegant:4luigi:(:4zss:) -12
24th: Raito:4duckhunt:(:4lucina::4marth:) +8
25th: Zinoto:4diddy: +6
26th: Kameme:4megaman::4sheik:(:4cloud2::4yoshi:) +18
27th: MVD:4diddy: -2
28th: Locus:4ryu:(:4bayonetta2:) +23
29th: Shuton:4olimar:(:4shulk:) -2
30th: Marss:4zss:(:4falcon:) -12
31st: Captain L:4pikachu:(:4jigglypuff:) New
32nd: Darkshad:4ryu: -6
33rd: Ally :4mario: -19
34th: Choco:4zss: +2
35th: KEN :4sonic: -27
36th: Eon:4fox: +15
37th: Tyroy:4bayonetta:(:4metaknight::4zelda:) +3
38th: K9sbruce:4sheik::4diddy: +10
39th: AC:4metaknight:(:4falco:) +11
40th: Wrath:4sonic:(:4bayonetta2:) New
41st: Rags:4metaknight: New
42nd: Zenyou:4mario: +7
43rd: Tsu-:4lucario:(:4ryu::4cloud2:) -5
44th: 6WX:4sonic: -1
45th: Charlie:4fox::4bayonetta2:(:4metaknight::4sheik:) -10
46th: Legit:4diddy: New
47th: Ralphie:4cloud2: New
48th: Mr. E:4lucina::4marth: -19
49th: shky:4zss: New
50th: Kirihara:rosalina: -20
51st: Brosinex:4ryu: New
52nd: Shoyo James:4diddy::4luigi: -10
53rd: dyr:4diddy: -14
54th: Vinnie:4sheik::rosalina:-8
55th: TGG:4ness:(:4diddy::4bayonetta:) New
56th: Nietono:4sheik::4diddy: New
57th: T:4link:(:4tlink:) New
58th: Sinji:4pacman:(:4diddy:) New
59th: Gackt:4ness: New
60th: Konga:4dk: -30
HB: Towa:rosalina:
HB: Sigma:4tlink:
HB: Dynamo:4cloud2:(:4sheik:) New
HB: Karna:4sheik:
HB: Glutonny:4wario:(:4dk:)
HB: Panda Bair:4villager:
HB: Rideae:4pikachu:
HB: Maister:4gaw:
HB: BestNess:4ness:
HB: NovaPiXL:4lucas::substitute:
HB: JeBB:4bayonetta2:(:4lucas:)
HB: Paseriman:4diddy:
HB: Zaki:4dedede:

Here are the threads I use to track the PGR events/PGR Players:
https://smashboards.com/threads/pgr-v5-updates-and-pgr-v4-recap.453122/
https://smashboards.com/threads/tracking-pgred-players-for-pgr-v5.454345/

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699

Nietono and T aren't new to the pgr though, they've been top 50 before

|RK|

Smash Marketer

The other Diddys are good players, obviously. Though the gap between them and ZeRo was far more vast than I believed after he announced his retirement.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
It also doesn't help fledgling Diddy Kongs that literally every top player has been forced to focus very heavily on how to play the Diddy matchup.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
The thing about Diddy Kong is that there's a fair amount of mid-high level representation (especially in the eastern US now that I think about it) but with fairly little top level representation outside of ZeRo. The only players who have really come even close are Zinoto and MVD, neither of whom have been doing especially well this season aside from Genesis 5 (MVD) & Midwest Mayhem 11 (Zinoto).

Minordeth

Smash Ace
The gap between everyone and Zero was massive. Like, people forget that it was kind of a given that Zero was going to be in at least Winner’s Finals, up until the last half of 2017.

Like, seriously, after his first tournament loss at MLG in October 2015, it wouldn’t be until CEO in June 2016 that he actually placed outside of top 2. He would then go on to a pattern of win steaks and singular losses for a while.

He was the only PGR player with a win rate of 80% over the rest of the PGR. No one else came close.

With that in mind, it was a bit of an understatement to suppose that Diddy’s results would be impacted by his retirement. Zinoto and MVD are world class players. But... they’ve haven’t particularly brushed Top 10 status, much less top 20 consistently.

For a long time, Diddy just happened to be repped by the Brawl Metaknight of the Smash 4 player tier list.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I
The gap between everyone and Zero was massive. Like, people forget that it was kind of a given that Zero was going to be in at least Winner’s Finals, up until the last half of 2017.

Like, seriously, after his first tournament loss at MLG in October 2015, it wouldn’t be until CEO in June 2016 that he actually placed outside of top 2. He would then go on to a pattern of win steaks and singular losses for a while.

He was the only PGR player with a win rate of 80% over the rest of the PGR. No one else came close.

With that in mind, it was a bit of an understatement to suppose that Diddy’s results would be impacted by his retirement. Zinoto and MVD are world class players. But... they’ve haven’t particularly brushed Top 10 status, much less top 20 consistently.

For a long time, Diddy just happened to be repped by the Brawl Metaknight of the Smash 4 player tier list.
If he was the brawl meta knight, then who was brawl pikachu?

Iridium

Smash Hero

Can you explain your placements for 6WX, Ralphie & Locus (I know his results improved later, but I cannot understand how much). Also, why put :4yoshi: for Kameme as a secondary (yes, I have seen him use Yoshi)? You could also put :4corrin:for T (yes, he uses male Corrin) as well (nothing against your list, just want to see that male Corrin).

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Has Brawl Pikachu (or rather ESAM) won any Brawl majors?
Don't look into this any further than you have. By "Brawl pikachu" I meant the only character that's even with meta knight in the entire game. Nairo ended Zero's 50 some tournament win streak with sheik by ZSS laddering him to death.

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
Don't look into this any further than you have. By "Brawl pikachu" I meant the only character that's even with meta knight in the entire game. Nairo ended Zero's 50 some tournament win streak with sheik by ZSS laddering him to death.
If that's your criteria, then someone like Ally or Salem would be better picks.

NairWizard

Somewhere
Don't look into this any further than you have. By "Brawl pikachu" I meant the only character that's even with meta knight in the entire game.
Brawl Pikachu isn't even with Brawl Meta Knight. It's +1 MK at least. ESAM was the only one who really made the claim that they were even, and he had retracted his statement by the end of Brawl's lifespan, claiming that he had only said it to inspire other players to try harder.

Prince Koopa Jr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperLuigiXD
Switch FC
SW-6463-6785-0502
Brawl Pikachu isn't even with Brawl Meta Knight. It's +1 MK at least. ESAM was the only one who really made the claim that they were even, and he had retracted his statement by the end of Brawl's lifespan, claiming that he had only said it to inspire other players to try harder.
ESAM is really optimistic when it comes to Pika, so that could be a reason too.

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
Oh, and what makes you any more right? Could you at least back up why you think that?

Last edited:
Top Bottom