• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Are Bayo's combos really that good though? In a 5 game set against Salem, Fatality died to one combo I think (so this is Falcon with ragdoll disadvantage against true combos mind you). ZSS has shorter stuff but it actually kills a lot of the time, and from a lot of different kind of starters like dthrow, nair and dsmash.

Last edited:

YerTheBestAROUND

Smash Journeyman
Playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for eternity.
Marcina definitely wins but it's definitely doable for Falcon.
I disagree with the Marcina winning part. I think it's even. Falcon combos just as hard and his mobility (especially burst mobility) allow him to whiff punish just about anything. Falcon shouldn't get walled out too hard because he doesn't have to approach the wall, he can wait for the end lag of all of Marcina's moves and punish that.

ZeRo already has a Falcon and a Lucina if he really wants to change it up, and both of those characters fit his style well.
Tbh, if he wants to have the explosive comeback factor I really think he should just use Marth. Lucina suits him well as a secondary/co-main that supplements his Diddy Kong because he can just rely on his fundamentals but I feel like if he goes full Lucina he's going to run into similar problems that he's feeling with Diddy. I feel like he's still going to find some troubles killing, something I noticed when he was fighting ANTi at Greninja Saga. I feel like if he took some time to dedicate himself to Marth for a little bit and adjust to that he'd be able to do rather well.

With Marth he could keep the consistent kill confirms similar to Diddy, he'd still be good at ledge trapping, edge guarding, and neutral, and he'd also have more of that explosiveness he seems to be looking for.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I feel like he's still going to find some troubles killing, something I noticed when he was fighting ANTi at Greninja Saga. I feel like if he took some time to dedicate himself to Marth for a little bit and adjust to that he'd be able to do rather well.
His troubles with killing currently mostly stem from the fact that he just uses no real kill setups at all and almost acts like Bair and FSmash are the only kill moves Lucina has. He only uses Up Air for killing on doubles for some reason, he never lands DB at KO%, he doesn't Up Tilt aerial unsafe jump-ins when the opponent is at kill percent, he doesn't kill with Nair all that often, stuff like that.
His Lucina is excellent, yes, but the fact that it's only a very young secondary for him very clearly shows at (many) times.
Also I am sure ZeRo has implied that him playing Marth over her is completely out of question.

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
Didn't know you count neutralb has a support for recovering? Well Palu has reflec?
The distance of the warps aren't much different tbh Zelda has a better airspeed tough. The upb from zelda can kill yeah but who the **** is so dumb to get hit with it while YOU try to recover?(i mean me of course but i have a zelda problem) The Hitbox doesn't really mean anything if you don't do a meaty upb it has the same issues that make it unsafe like palus warp and Palus warp is at least faster. Tbh the only really good warp recovery is Sheik.

I don't actually argue that Palus recovery is better but they are ****ing several tiers apart and basically both recoveries do the same things while Zelda has a better airspeed and a hitbox and Palu's is just faster.
Hey, Zelda main here, and I find a lot of the points being brought up fascinating. I'll toss in my two cents.

For the teleport itself, there's a lot of tricks that are more applicable to Zelda's teleport than Palu's because of distance and hitbox. Palutena has the obvious advantages of speed, but does have to get closer to the stage, putting you at risk of many opponents jumping out before you reach max teleport range. This gives problems when trying to snap to ledge from above stage for 2-frame invulnerability. With Zelda's range, she can snap at a distance that would be suicide for a number of characters to contest; if she goes below the stage, she can vary teleport distance more (and the frames before ledge snap!) to avoid two-frame attempts. Her hitbox also provides a nice mixup - by holding down, she'll drop a massive hitbox before grabbing ledge that catches people not sitting in shield (as a side note, people do get hit by this quite regularly, and even if not they learn to respect it and give me space to return to stage).

Neutral B versus Side B is interesting, since they're both long-lasting reflectors. The issue, though, is that while Zelda's reflector functions in the air as a stall, Palutena's remains where she placed it, meaning that it won't cover her a few frames after it's deployed.

Something unfortunate about this recovery discussion, however, is how well a character can transition from ledge back to stage and neutral. Top tiers as a rule are fairly strong at this, with autocancelling and far reaching aerials (sheik fair/nair), fast options out of getup (ZSS and other jabs, sheik ftilt, most grabs), and other tools to get past the opponent to mid stage (fox illusion, Bayo side-B). This is the point where Zelda suffers - though she has some okay options out of ledge getup such as dtilt, dsmash, and Up-B (which has surprising coverage and safety), she has a lackluster grab startup, no aerials that autocancel from ledge drop, and poor mixups with lots of lag (up-B to middle of stage, neutral B). Palutena's actually better here - she has superior aerial mobility for returning to stage, a much safer aerial (fair) to harass opponents close to the ledge, and a faster Up-B to get past the opponent.

Last edited:

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
ZeRo's Lucina is fine and I don't see the point in dropping the character that has taken the most games and tournaments in the history of Smash 4 (ZeRo's Diddy). To me it seems like ZeRo's expectations are unrealistic. ZeRo has a long string of 1st places and barely fell short of top 8 at Ribbit Saga (he got 9th in a close game 5, right? ) After this he loses only to Nairo and Fatality. Most smashers would kill to do that well in bracket but ZeRo isn't even happy with 3rd. And now he wants to pick up Bayo? This doesn't sit right with me, his Diddy is fine and his Lucina is more than capable to tie up some of his lose ends. I don't think he needs Marth.

I never heard anyone call Lucina a rushdown character, just that she can be played more rushdown than Marth.

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
ZeRo's Lucina is fine and I don't see the point in dropping the character that has taken the most games and tournaments in the history of Smash 4 (ZeRo's Diddy). To me it seems like ZeRo's expectations are unrealistic. ZeRo has a long string of 1st places and barely fell short of top 8 at Ribbit Saga (he got 9th in a close game 5, right? ) After this he loses only to Nairo and Fatality. Most smashers would kill to do that well in bracket but ZeRo isn't even happy with 3rd. And now he wants to pick up Bayo? This doesn't sit right with me, his Diddy is fine and his Lucina is more than capable to tie up some of his lose ends. I don't think he needs Marth.

I never heard anyone call Lucina a rushdown character, just that she can be played more rushdown than Marth.
It's not unhappiness with his placing, moreso unhappiness with the character, as well as the two beatings he did take. His lucina is decent though. I wouldn't say on the level of other Lucinas, but still decent.
Ribbit Saga
I see what you did there, and thoroughly like it.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I disagree with the Marcina winning part. I think it's even. Falcon combos just as hard and his mobility (especially burst mobility) allow him to whiff punish just about anything. Falcon shouldn't get walled out too hard because he doesn't have to approach the wall, he can wait for the end lag of all of Marcina's moves and punish that.

Tbh, if he wants to have the explosive comeback factor I really think he should just use Marth. Lucina suits him well as a secondary/co-main that supplements his Diddy Kong because he can just rely on his fundamentals but I feel like if he goes full Lucina he's going to run into similar problems that he's feeling with Diddy. I feel like he's still going to find some troubles killing, something I noticed when he was fighting ANTi at Greninja Saga. I feel like if he took some time to dedicate himself to Marth for a little bit and adjust to that he'd be able to do rather well.

With Marth he could keep the consistent kill confirms similar to Diddy, he'd still be good at ledge trapping, edge guarding, and neutral, and he'd also have more of that explosiveness he seems to be looking for.
He already said that he is not playing :4marth: because he values :4lucina:'s consistency more, if he is looking for more of that, :4cloud2: would suit his need more.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
As it stands, ZeRo Lucina has an extremely oppressive Neutral and the best punish game out of any Marcina player ever and a disadvantage state as good as it's gonna get.
His problem comes from the fact he simply has not that much experience with the character. He's the one that was so surprised at how "broken" Jab>Dolphin Slash is yet he goes for *no* Jab stuff at all. He also limits his moveset way too much at kill percents. The way he uses his moves at kill percents to me shows he actually doesn't really know what Lucina's moveset is able to do to its fullest potential. He starts spamming Fsmash at kill percent as an *antiair* as if she already didn't have a couple.
What saves him is that if he needs to, he always gets the Up Throw kill as soon as it's available. It's just that he could do so much to not even have to reach such a point.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Didn't know you count neutralb has a support for recovering? Well Palu has reflec?
The distance of the warps aren't much different tbh Zelda has a better airspeed tough. The upb from zelda can kill yeah but who the **** is so dumb to get hit with it while YOU try to recover?(i mean me of course but i have a zelda problem) The Hitbox doesn't really mean anything if you don't do a meaty upb it has the same issues that make it unsafe like palus warp and Palus warp is at least faster. Tbh the only really good warp recovery is Sheik.

I don't actually argue that Palus recovery is better but they are ****ing several tiers apart and basically both recoveries do the same things while Zelda has a better airspeed and a hitbox and Palu's is just faster.
Zelda's air speed is 1.04, fall speed is 1.35. Her Nayru's stalls and has frame 5-15 intangibility. Her upB hits frame 8, can be angled 8 directions, slides up walls (unlike Brawl) and can kill Link in the middle of SV at 120% with only the 2nd hit, that's like a strong smash, and is a very far recovery. The point of upB is the threat stops you from sniping her; it's like a better Mac's ground sideB.
Palutena's air speed is .91 and fall speed 1.4. Her reflector does not stall and her upB has no hitboxes at all, is invisible frames 16-31 and is shorter than Zelda's. Yes she can Autoreticle offstage but it doesn't stall her.

There's no comparing their recoveries. Zelda wins everything except projectile coverage, which FAFs frame 68 for big commitment.

Last edited:

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Are Bayo's combos really that good though? In a 5 game set against Salem, Fatality died to one combo I think (so this is Falcon with ragdoll disadvantage against true combos mind you). ZSS has shorter stuff but it actually kills a lot of the time, and from a lot of different kind of starters like dthrow, nair and dsmash.
Its not even really about being killed by them. Thing is, you end up taking 30% when you get hit by any of her combo openers (side b, up b, uptilt, up throw, dtilt, witch time). Spectators watch Bayonetta combo other characters all over the stage and get underwhelmed when it doesn't end in death not noticing how much damage the combo dealt or how easy it was to start.

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
As it stands, ZeRo Lucina has an extremely oppressive Neutral and the best punish game out of any Marcina player ever and a disadvantage state as good as it's gonna get.
His problem comes from the fact he simply has not that much experience with the character. He's the one that was so surprised at how "broken" Jab>Dolphin Slash is yet he goes for *no* Jab stuff at all. He also limits his moveset way too much at kill percents. The way he uses his moves at kill percents to me shows he actually doesn't really know what Lucina's moveset is able to do to its fullest potential. He starts spamming Fsmash at kill percent as an *antiair* as if she already didn't have a couple.
What saves him is that if he needs to, he always gets the Up Throw kill as soon as it's available. It's just that he could do so much to not even have to reach such a point.
Truth. I'm currently going through every PersistentBlade set and compilating the best moments from each match; Im at Ignition #79 and I don't think I've yet seen him kill with Dancing Blade and he killed with upair about I think once.

So far I would estimate that this is his killing stats
Fsmash/upsmash read/ airdodge punish- 45%
Bair or fair offstage-50%
Anything else like upair-5%

He's utilizing only a fraction of her kit and it's still working a lot, but his Lucina, fully realized, could be so much more.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Its not even really about being killed by them. Thing is, you end up taking 30% when you get hit by any of her combo openers (side b, up b, uptilt, up throw, dtilt, witch time). Spectators watch Bayonetta combo other characters all over the stage and get underwhelmed when it doesn't end in death not noticing how much damage the combo dealt or how easy it was to start.
But Bayo wasn't hyped for the damage she does, especially when Mario, Fox, Ryu, Falcon, Luigi, Sheik and probably like 10 more characters do the same thing and most of the ones named have a better neutral. Yeah sometimes Bayo does 50-60% but so does everyone I listed except maybe Sheik.

She isn't even doing all that well at the top level where people apparently bother learning the game.

krazySyko

Smash Cadet
Toryumon Weekly tournament #4 (Japan) (48 Entrants)

1st: Takera :4ryu:
2nd: Kisha :4bowser: :4megaman:
3rd: Songn :4gaw: :4mario:
4th: Earth :4corrinf: :4pit:
Earth may have used Pit more than Corrin, since where I saw the results (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBKKrJeXUAA8qIL.jpg:large) Pit was listed first, though since I don't think there was a stream it could just be the person posting didn't know he switched mains? He did use Pit more than Corrin at the recent pre evo japan event, but that was crews only (he, T and kuro got third).

Also from those results, the other japan weekly interestingly shows Hikaru using Sheik/Cloud, and another Ryu (Chanshu) won it over Edge, but it was only 27 people.

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
After watching some of T's matches, I noticed that he plays a very aggro, close quarters grappler type Link, which is surprising considering he's a slow character with not so great frame data, with a laggy tether grab even. Not only that but he doesn't employ all that much advanced tech, mainly using BnB. Yet he makes it work, which I find really interesting.

Could it be that our Link players in the US are less skilled than T, or is Link an even better character than originally thought?

Bigbomb2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bigbomb2
After watching some of T's matches, I noticed that he plays a very aggro, close quarters grappler type Link, which is surprising considering he's a slow character with not so great frame data, with a laggy tether grab even. Not only that but he doesn't employ all that much advanced tech, mainly using BnB. Yet he makes it work, which I find really interesting.

Could it be that our Link players in the US are less skilled than T, or is Link an even better character than originally thought?
T's style with Link also makes him a bit inconsistent. T is very reaction and read based, and that works well for Link because he hits so hard. I think there are better LINKS, but I think T is the best Link PLAYER if that makes sense. So yes, I believe T could do better if he used advanced tech like bombslides, soft bomb tosses, and other neato tricks. Camping sometimes could be useful too, but he said in a Tweet that he's not patient.
There's still limitations on Link though, he's not getting any faster, just have to optimize what you have. I think that's where a lot of less used characters are at, which is fleshing out their toolkit.

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Bayo might characteristically have more in common with ZSS but her actual combo game feels more comparable to Sheik. She has options to convert from almost any hit she can get in neutral and while not all of them lead to a kill, I hesitate to say that a character who is consistent in getting 30-40% off of a hit does not have good combos. On average I get the impression that ZSS and Bayonetta manage to pull off an equal amount of kill combos even if ZSS has an easier time doing them execution-wise, cause I can't even count on my hand how many times I've seen Boost Kick ladder combos survive through DI, even if they're almost off of the stage and at 70%.

Speaking of DI, I get the strong suspicion that Salem is catching onto SDI tactics against Bayonetta incredibly quickly. Salem's set against Reflex was really notable to me since you could tell how Reflex had some incredibly aggressive SDI against Bayonetta's combos, and for a while it worked, but Salem started attempting to read those SDI attempts with FAirs, and by Game 2, he was able to chase the SDI with forward airs to resume the combo and secure the stock which was absolutely insane to me. More than just Bayonetta players still being able to secure free damage in the case of a good SDI by opting for an NAir or FAir for coverage, the fact that they're now getting death combos off of them just shows me her ceiling has yet to be seen.

Last edited:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace

Sometimes all you need is strong fundamentals, knowledge and execution to preform well. You'll likely do better long term when you add optimization and techs and such but a more basic play style can be effective if the character allows it. He reminds me of The Great Gonzales who plays a very basic Ness but still excels

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Eh, I've never found Bombslides that needed. They're helpful, sure, but I've never seen a reason to use a lot of Link's ATs.

Wednesday Night Fights Spring 2.4 (39 Entrants) (SoCal)

1st: Elegant :4luigi:
2nd: Dynamo :4sheik:
3rd: Scourgemom :4pikachu:
4th: The Guest :4diddy:

Oh, and Abadango :4mewtwo: :4bayonetta2:, Komorikiri :4cloud2: :4sonic:, Ranai :4villager:, KEN :4sonic:, and Kameme :4megaman: :4sheik: have been funded for CEO 2017.

EDIT: Raito :4duckhunt: has been unlocked for CEO 2017 (and maybe Nairo saga too?)

Last edited:

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Eh, I've never found Bombslides that needed. They're helpful, sure, but I've never seen a reason to use a lot of Link's ATs.

Wednesday Night Fights Spring 2.4 (39 Entrants) (SoCal)

1st: Elegant :4luigi:
2nd: Dynamo :4sheik:
3rd: Scourgemom :4pikachu:
4th: The Guest :4diddy:

Oh, and Abadango :4mewtwo: :4bayonetta2:, Komorikiri :4cloud2: :4sonic:, Ranai :4villager:, KEN :4sonic:, and Kameme :4megaman: :4sheik: have been funded for CEO 2017.

EDIT: Raito :4duckhunt: has been unlocked for CEO 2017 (and maybe Nairo saga too?)
Raito is indeed able to attend Nairo Saga and CEO. With KEN getting to go to two huge tournaments it's gonna be great for judging a proper spot for him on PGR and other rankings.

Rizen

Smash Legend

My :4link: sense is tingling. Piggybacking on this, Link has some unorthodox ways to keep up with faster characters. The main one is his landing lag is comparable with Sheik's, 8 frames for Zair, 10 for B/Nair and 12 for Fair. Pair this with the damage and shield pressure Link has thanks to SSB4 and you'll see T do things like SH>FF Nair in neutral and it's relatively safe when spaced right. Nair is +5 frames on shield drop. If someone like Mario is hopping around Link can FF Nair and if it forces an airdodge Link has 11 frames to punish (dodge landing lag is 21 frames -Nair's 10 frames). If it hits at worse Link trades 11% and at best he can arrow lock a hard landing wobble and Fsmash. Pair this with platforms on stages like BF and Link's disjointed sword and he can be scary.

Link's walk is good and so are his pivots so if you rush carelessly you might eat a pivot Ftilt/smash. The disjointed sword helps him stay safe if he can maneuver in even small areas. His jab, although frame 7, pokes out farther than other jabs like Ike or Shulk's step jab 1s. Jab 2 can be canceled safely into a mixup on shields or things like upB on hit at high %s. Link also has the ever useful clawshot that out-ranges swordies like Ike and Marth as a mid range threat.

This is in addition to bomb/projectile stage control and combos.

tl;dr Link can play footsies.
T is imo the best Link so no one is as good as him. T plays KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) and instead focuses on spacing. All the ATs in the world won't help if you can't space them right. Useing the right option for the right spacing is the key to playing Link well. A mistake a lot of Link players make is learning ATs but not fundamental spacing. This applies to projectiles too, people will be stuck on trying to camp to the point it actually compromises their spacing and they get punished.
I do think T would benefit from expanding his projectile game. His footsies are top but he considers characters like Bowser bad probably because his agro style. Make the opponent chase you then transition into CQC. Link can't succeed playing purely one style.

Bigbomb2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bigbomb2
I do think T would benefit from expanding his projectile game. His footsies are top but he considers characters like Bowser bad probably because his agro style. Make the opponent chase you then transition into CQC. Link can't succeed playing purely one style.
That's pretty well what I was getting at. Gotta change things up a bit depending on the player, the MU, and how that player plays the MU

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Battle of BC 2 pools are out. 246 Entrants, this event is not one to miss. Not all of them are in waves yet, I couldn't wait to talk about this because I'm excited.

Pool A1: MKLeo :4cloud2: :4marth: vs Agnis :4charizard: :4bowser: :4corrinf:, aMac :4bowserjr: :4corrinf: in third (note: Agnis has a win on ANTi.)
Pool A2: ANTi :4mario: :4cloud2: :4zss: vs Pink :4zss: :4mario: :4bowserjr:, TrueMain :4sonic: in third
Pool 1: Abadango :4mewtwo: :4bayonetta2: vs Firefly :4yoshi:, GetShulked :4shulk: in third
Pool 2: Locus :4ryu: vs Neki :rosalina: :4bayonetta2:, uwu chris :substitute: in third
Pool 3: VoiD :4sheik: vs Kantrip :4sonic:, Shoghi :4marth: in third
Pool 4: Falln :rosalina: vs FoCus :4sheik: :4cloud2: :4rob:, Pandarain :4metaknight: :substitute: in third
Pool 5: Konga :4dk: vs Ashley :4ness:, Zak :4diddy: :4cloud2: in third
Pool 6: Mew2King :4cloud2: vs Espeon•CH :4link:, MOOBESOR :substitute: in third
Pool 7: KOSSismoss :4gaw: vs Grade :substitute:, SwagMaster69 :4falcon: in third
Pool 8: Big D :4mario: :4falcon: vs Jams :4rob:, Asa :4ness: in third
Pool 9: Captain L :4pikachu: vs aMSa :4greninja:, Ikey :4lucina: :4marth: in third
Pool 10: Exodia :4zss: :4metaknight: vs Pleiades :4fox:, Legit247 :4diddy: :4dk: in third (Note: I'm in this pool)
Pool 11: Strike :4sheik: vs 2manycooks :4mario: :4drmario:, Bishly :4fox: in third
Pool 12: Locke :4megaman: vs Nurse :4dk:, Frededish :4ryu: in third
Pool 13: Pyreeze :4samus: vs Alphicans :4mewtwo:, Mono :4corrinf: :4peach: :4larry: in third
Pool 14: MD :4sonic: vs Len :4pit: :4pikachu:, King :rosalina: in third

NairWizard

Somewhere
I remember a long time ago when I wanted to pick up Marcina for tournament (my most used character by far at this point in time) I found that I was quite terrible at playing Marth and had to rely on Lucina to win. I went to the indomitable Shaya Shaya for advice to explain why I was so much better with Lucina.

His response was,

"Training wheels"

I found that to be very much true and as my spacing with the character got better over the 6-month period following that conversation I definitely ended up seeing more results with Marth.

If you can play Lucina, you can play Marth. There are a handful of important differences (b-air vs. f-tilt, and Lucina's f-smash baits), but the hitboxes are so similar you might as well take the time to get used to Marth.

ZeRo should try it. I'm not saying that Marth is better than Lucina because I don't want to go into that can of worms, but it's odd to say that you can play Lucina but can't play Marth. Like, what? Just put in the extra effort, you already make a living playing this game, it's actually not like you have better things to do. You might say that you value Lucina's consistency more, but what you're obviously looking for is a way to slap someone silly with early kills like Nairo does with up-bs or Fatality does with spikes. Marth fits perfectly for that.

If you want someone who:
-is consistently strong in neutral
-has the ability to seal stocks early
-is good at ledgetrapping and following up in advantage

it honestly sounds like you're describing Marth.

or just play Rosalina

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I remember a long time ago when I wanted to pick up Marcina for tournament (my most used character by far at this point in time) I found that I was quite terrible at playing Marth and had to rely on Lucina to win. I went to the indomitable Shaya Shaya for advice to explain why I was so much better with Lucina.

His response was,

"Training wheels"

I found that to be very much true and as my spacing with the character got better over the 6-month period following that conversation I definitely ended up seeing more results with Marth.

If you can play Lucina, you can play Marth. There are a handful of important differences (b-air vs. f-tilt, and Lucina's f-smash baits), but the hitboxes are so similar you might as well take the time to get used to Marth.

ZeRo should try it. I'm not saying that Marth is better than Lucina because I don't want to go into that can of worms, but it's odd to say that you can play Lucina but can't play Marth. Like, what? Just put in the extra effort, you already make a living playing this game, it's actually not like you have better things to do. You might say that you value Lucina's consistency more, but what you're obviously looking for is a way to slap someone silly with early kills like Nairo does with up-bs or Fatality does with spikes. Marth fits perfectly for that.

If you want someone who:

or just play Rosalina
ZeRo's spacing is already exceptional. If you watched his Twitch rant, he says he doesn't care for Marth because sometimes - not 50% of the time, maybe not even 30% of the time, you'll inevitably miss a tipper. And he hates that, because if he hits someone offstage at a certain percent with Lucina, they will die - period.

I'm certain he can *literally* play Marth. He just doesn't care as much for him. That's an important thing as well, IMO.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Battle of BC 2 pools are out. 246 Entrants, this event is not one to miss. Not all of them are in waves yet, I couldn't wait to talk about this because I'm excited.

Pool A1: MKLeo :4cloud2: :4marth: vs Agnis :4charizard: :4bowser: :4corrinf:, aMac :4bowserjr: :4corrinf: in third (note: Agnis has a win on ANTi.)
Pool A2: ANTi :4mario: :4cloud2: :4zss: vs Pink :4zss: :4mario: :4bowserjr:, TrueMain :4sonic: in third
Pool 1: Abadango :4mewtwo: :4bayonetta2: vs Firefly :4yoshi:, GetShulked :4shulk: in third
Pool 2: Locus :4ryu: vs Neki :rosalina: :4bayonetta2:, uwu chris :substitute: in third
Pool 3: VoiD :4sheik: vs Kantrip :4sonic:, Shoghi :4marth: in third
Pool 4: Falln :rosalina: vs FoCus :4sheik: :4cloud2: :4rob:, Pandarain :4metaknight: :substitute: in third
Pool 5: Konga :4dk: vs Ashley :4ness:, Zak :4diddy: :4cloud2: in third
Pool 6: Mew2King :4cloud2: vs Espeon•CH :4link:, MOOBESOR :substitute: in third
Pool 7: KOSSismoss :4gaw: vs Grade :substitute:, SwagMaster69 :4falcon: in third
Pool 8: Big D :4mario: :4falcon: vs Jams :4rob:, Asa :4ness: in third
Pool 9: Captain L :4pikachu: vs aMSa :4greninja:, Ikey :4lucina: :4marth: in third
Pool 10: Exodia :4zss: :4metaknight: vs Pleiades :4fox:, Legit247 :4diddy: :4dk: in third (Note: I'm in this pool)
Pool 11: Strike :4sheik: vs 2manycooks :4mario: :4drmario:, Bishly :4fox: in third
Pool 12: Locke :4megaman: vs Nurse :4dk:, Frededish :4ryu: in third
Pool 13: Pyreeze :4samus: vs Alphicans :4mewtwo:, Mono :4corrinf: :4peach: :4larry: in third
Pool 14: MD :4sonic: vs Len :4pit: :4pikachu:, King :rosalina: in third
I am beyond jealous that I don't get the chance to drown to Abadango in pools. Lucky Firefly, great Yoshi btw. I only shaved a game off Firefly once cause Luigi jab to up B.
(Btw I've taken games off almost every PR player back when I played at locals more with Luigi jab to up b. It's actually so clutch)
Anyways...didn't know Alphicans switched to Mewtwo.

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
I am beyond jealous that I don't get the chance to drown to Abadango in pools. Lucky Firefly, great Yoshi btw. I only shaved a game off Firefly once cause Luigi jab to up B.
(Btw I've taken games off almost every PR player back when I played at locals more with Luigi jab to up b. It's actually so clutch)
Anyways...didn't know Alphicans switched to Mewtwo.
He dropped Little Mac quite a while ago. But its funny to see how he plays a character that can die off a simple mistake like his previous main albeit he can actually recover without fearing dying at any given moment.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
This entire "He should just play Marth instead" debate is why ZeRo blew up so hard at twitch chat that stream and had to act like a week straight that he wasn't trying to sound upset.
There's more to choosing Lucina over Marth than just "I can't space".
I already said this a few pages back: ZeRo gave his reasons to choose Lucina over Marth, and those reasons are literally all things Lucina mains have been saying why they pick her over Marth for years. We want the consistency of our hits and not occasional tipper power. ZeRo always valued consistency over absolutely all else (so much so that he still is playing Diddy to this day even though he sometimes has to kill at percents above 190%), because it's in his consistency and his dominance of neutral where he always he betted his money on, and with big success.

Calling Lucina "Marth with training wheels", especially in 2017, is extremely demeaning to both the character and the people who have been putting so much hard work to push her forward for years.
And then you all wonder why Marcina discussion goes uncivil...

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675

His response was,

"Training wheels"

If you want someone who:

or just play Rosalina
Now it depends on what we are calling training wheels. I've never considered Lucina as training wheels Marth; Marth is training wheels Marth. If you want to practice playing a character in which spacing is paramount, then practice playing a character in which spacing is paramount. Now both characters REQUIRE spacing, but Marth emphasizes the difference in advantage vs disadvantage and how it applies to spacing.
Kinda similar, to me, as "I want to get good at Captain Falcon, so let me practice with Ganondorf"
However, that has next to nothing to do with your post, just my critique on the training wheels discussion.

I think we're seeing a shift, mostly in the American scene, where we value quantity over quality. Everyone has 2-3 characters that they use often now instead of one. Tweek has a Cloud, Jr, DK, and a Bayo, MKLeo plays everyone with a sword + Shiek.. nearly no one outside of Japan is staying true to one character. With this much balance in the cast and the necessity of secondaries, I think more straightforward characters like Lucina and Cloud really make sense

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
This entire "He should just play Marth instead" debate is why ZeRo blew up so hard at twitch chat that stream and had to act like a week straight that he wasn't trying to sound upset.
There's more to choosing Lucina over Marth than just "I can't space".
I already said this a few pages back: ZeRo gave his reasons to choose Lucina over Marth, and those reasons are literally all things Lucina mains have been saying why they pick her over Marth for years. We want the consistency of our hits and not occasional tipper power. ZeRo always valued consistency over absolutely all else (so much so that he still is playing Diddy to this day even though he sometimes has to kill at percents above 190%), because it's in his consistency and his dominance of neutral where he always he betted his money on, and with big success.

Calling Lucina "Marth with training wheels", especially in 2017, is extremely demeaning to both the character and the people who have been putting so much hard work to push her forward for years.
And then you all wonder why Marcina discussion goes uncivil...
I'm not telling him to play Marth instead because Marth is better.

I'm telling him to play Marth instead because that's what he seems to be looking for.

ZeRo claims that he likes consistency but his complaints about his characters are often that they trade explosive potential for consistency. It's almost always after a loss to someone like Falcon or ZSS that he feels demoralized and wants to switch characters.

Marth is literally a better fit for him given his criteria. All the neutral consistency that Lucina has, with less kill consistency but more explosive kill potential.

Kinda similar, to me, as "I want to get good at Captain Falcon, so let me practice with Ganondorf"
I can't even....

Marth and Lucina have the same airspeed, walk speed, dash speed, fall speed, hitboxes, startup, end lag...

you want to compare the gap between Marth and Lucina to the gap between Ganondorf and... Captain Falcon?

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
ZeRo claims that he likes consistency but his complaints about his characters are often that they trade explosive potential for consistency. It's almost always after a loss to someone like Falcon or ZSS that he feels demoralized and wants to switch characters.

Marth is literally a better fit for him given his criteria. All the neutral consistency that Lucina has, with less kill consistency but more explosive kill potential.
I don't think we can really just know what he wants like that, especially when
All the neutral consistency that Lucina has, with less kill consistency but more explosive kill potential.
This is exactly what he has made a big point in the past saying that he doesn't want. I think on the same stream he blew up, said that he doesn't care for an FSmash that kills at 40 this match and at180 the next one. Considering how determined he was when he said that, I really don't think a character like Marth is what he wants. So, no, I don't think it's what he seems to be looking for, here.

Floor's comment is just that Lucina can't really be "training wheels Marth" because if you want to practice Marth, then you play Marth, not Lucina.
Does his comparison between Captain Falcon and Ganondorf not make sense?
Indeed it doesn't. For some of us that have used Marth or Lucina for so long, switching "Captain Falcon" and "Ganondorf" in that sentence with those chracters makes just as much sense (none at all).

NairWizard

Somewhere
I don't think we can really just know what he wants like that, especially when

This is exactly what he has made a big point in the past saying that he doesn't want. I think on the same stream he blew up, said that he doesn't care for an FSmash that kills at 40 this match and at180 the next one. Considering how determined he was when he said that, I really don't think a character like Marth is what he wants. So, no, I don't think it's what he seems to be looking for, here.

Floor's comment is just that Lucina can't really be "training wheels Marth" because if you want to practice Marth, then you play Marth, not Lucina.
What ZeRo wants is to win, ultimately. What he claims to want is a totally different matter, but it's evident when you look at the source of his losses that his biggest problem with his character (Diddy) is killing so late. Sometimes he needs to just be able to kill early to maintain mental fortitude. That's my interpretation, anyway.

Does his comparison between Captain Falcon and Ganondorf not make sense?
Indeed it doesn't. For some of us that have used Marth or Lucina for so long, switching "Captain Falcon" and "Ganondorf" in that sentence with those chracters makes just as much sense (none at all).
It's not that he compared two different characters. That's totally fine. It's the characters that he compared that's the problem.

If he had said, "I'll practice ZSS so that I can play a better Bayonetta," that would have made sense.

because you could actually do that, they operate on a lot of the same principles.

But Captain Falcon and Ganondorf?

This is like comparing the Eiffel Tower to the Hoover Dam, and then someone comes along and is like,

"you can't do that, because then I could just compare this brick to Finland"

Last edited:

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
What ZeRo wants is to win, ultimately. What he claims to want is a totally different matter, but it's evident when you look at the source of his losses that his biggest problem with his character (Diddy) is killing so late. Sometimes he needs to just be able to kill early to maintain mental fortitude. That's my interpretation, anyway.

It's not that he compared two different characters. That's totally fine. It's the characters that he compared that's the problem.

If he had said, "I'll practice ZSS so that I can play a better Bayonetta," that would have made sense.

because you could actually do that, they operate on a lot of the same principles.

But Captain Falcon and Ganondorf?

This is like comparing the Eiffel Tower to the Hoover Dam, and then someone comes along and is like,

"you can't do that, because then I could just compare this brick to Finland"
The point i was trying to make is just because both characters have similar movesets doesn't mean you should use Ganondorf as training wheels.

If you want to do cool Falcon stuff, play Falcon, utilize his speed, and do it. Don't switch to Ganon just because he has a similar moveset. He is slower and won't offer the same things you need as Falcon. If you want to play Marth, play Marth, utilize his tipper stuff, and do it. Don't switch to Lucina just because she has the same spacing and moveset. She doesn't have the same tipper ftilt and sour spot into sweetspot combos.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
The point i was trying to make is just because both characters have similar movesets doesn't mean you should use Ganondorf as training wheels. If you want to do cool Falcon stuff, play Falcon, utilize his speed, and do it. Don't switch to Ganon because he is slower and won't offer the same things you need as Falcon. If you want to play Marth, play Marth, utilize his tipper stuff, and do it. Don't switch to Lucina because she has the same spacing, because she doesn't have the same tipper ftilt and sour spot into sweetspot combos.

playing a character which is similar to your character with slight differences always makes your play with your main sharper

this is true of even something like playing ZSS and Bayonetta

but Captain Falcon and Ganondorf don't even have similarities other than animations.

Ganon can't juggle anyone with air speed
or create dash/grab 50:50s
or d-air spike anyone consistently
or...
it's actually faster to list the similarities than the differences because there are so many differences

Anyway I get the point you were making but Marth and Lucina are incredibly similar characters, you'll find more similarity between them than just about any two other characters in the game

Last edited:

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
playing a character which is similar to your character with slight differences always makes your play with your main sharper
*I edited my post to make grammer clearer*

But wouldn't more time invested into your actual main be more worth it?

You're right, Ganon and Falcon have tons of differences, which is why Ganondorf isn't traing wheels Falcon. Marth and Lucina have niche differences in combos and kill moves in which actual Marth mains should practice rather than use Lucina because "training wheels".

To me, it sounds like we agree, we just don't know that we agree

NairWizard

Somewhere
*I edited my post to make grammer clearer*

But wouldn't more time invested into your actual main be more worth it?

You're right, Ganon and Falcon have tons of differences, which is why Ganondorf isn't traing wheels Falcon. Marth and Lucina have niche differences in combos and kill moves in which actual Marth mains should practice rather than use Lucina because "training wheels".

To me, it sounds like we agree, we just don't know that we agree

No, I actually completely disagree.

Investing time in your main has diminishing returns and can cause you to tunnel-vision to a particular playstyle. Using other characters opens up your mind and gives you insight with which you can return to your main and break habits you didn't realize you had. Way back when, when NickRiddle co-mained Mii Brawler and ZSS, he was asked what he thought of playing two characters with similar gameplans, and he commented that playing Mii Brawler made his ZSS play a lot sharper and cleaner. It helped him to "understand ZSS much better."

I think it's completely worthwhile and this is why you'll often see players who main one swordsman dabble in others (Leo with MK/Marth/Cloud, Ryo with all of the FE characters, even san plays Cloud in addition to Ike sometimes), because the skills do transfer and there are lessons you can learn from playing characters which aren't your main but are similar.

If you are a Lucina or Marth player, playing the other as well can only help you, as you'll learn a lot of things relevant to your main by playing the other character.

If you are a Falcon main, playing Ganon will only teach you one thing that's relevant to Falcon and that's not to press the B button by itself in neutral.

Last edited:

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
No, I actually completely disagree.

Investing time in your main has diminishing returns and can cause you to tunnel-vision to a particular playstyle. Using other characters opens up your mind and gives you insight with which you can return to your main and break habits you didn't realize you had. Way back when, when NickRiddle co-mained Mii Brawler and ZSS, he was asked what he thought of playing two characters with similar gameplans, and he commented that playing Mii Brawler made his ZSS play a lot sharper and cleaner. It helped him to "understand ZSS much better."

I think it's completely worthwhile and this is why you'll often see players who main one swordsman dabble in others (Leo with MK/Marth/Cloud, Ryo with all of the FE characters, even san plays Cloud in addition to Ike sometimes), because the skills do transfer and there are lessons you can learn from playing characters which aren't your main but are similar.

If you are a Lucina or Marth player, playing the other as well can only help you, as you'll learn a lot of things relevant to your main by playing the other character.

If you are a Falcon main, playing Ganon will only teach you one thing that's relevant to Falcon and that's not to press the B button by itself in neutral.
Fair enough. I can agree with a few things, like how playing some Marth can hone you're appreciation for spacing, which is vital to every character, but I don't think I would take it as far as you do. Fair enough; looks like there is some understanding

Rizen

Smash Legend
I wouldn't touch the Marth vs Lucina topic with a hot iron. About "I want to get good at Captain Falcon, so let me practice with Ganondorf": I tried to learn CF for a little while and play Ganon. They play nothing alike. Ganon is a spacing/punishing character where CF is rush down/exploiting advantage. Ganon barely has a few combo since DA got buffed and low % Dthrow but has no juggle potential. The only similar aspect in practice is how they get juggled.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom