• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
all i really learned about mario this weekend was that if you outplay your opponent and find the correct punishes, the sword matchups (cloud and marcina) are doable, which is not anything new. no one ever said they were 65-35 or something in those character's favor. however, i think it would be unwise to discount virtually all existing matchup theory (supported by results for an extended period of time) because of one tournament. that's just jumping to conclusions too quickly. i'd like to remind people that leo has won virtually every set of mario vs marth that he's played since he first beat ally at canada cup last year. that this is the first time komo has lost to either ally or anti in the mario matchup. that top marios have struggled with numerous cloud players, including tweek, javi, komo, ned, and mr.r. while ally specifically has been able to win numerous sets against cloud players, he has still tended to struggle with the top echelon of clouds.

regarding the king of murder the king of murder in particular, walling out mario as cloud is not risky, and you have numerous effective tools for doing so, including bair, fair, nair, dair, and cross slash. it is in fact quite difficult to get in for mario, and this idea of 'offense vs defense' balancing out implies that cloud has to chip away at mario while mario only has to find one opening. the reason the matchup is truly bad for mario is the juggling situations and how much damage cloud can get out of them. mario is almost defenseless in juggling situations if you play them properly as cloud, making it difficult for him to regain any sense of control and forcing mario to take a lot of damage in order to land. even retreating to the ledge isn't good because mario's ledge options get walled out. in killing situations, cloud is much more difficult to deal with for mario than vice versa because cloud just has more options to kill you and will turn juggle situations into KOs frequently. even if you're jumping, that doesn't mean mario can just up smash you, so long as you ensure that you outspace him. as for ground pokes, i think you're forgetting non-limit cross slash, which is generally a fantastic tool for combatting mario's typical approaches and rather safe if used properly.

ally as a player is very good at sneaking in little pokes and powershields to push himself though his opponent's spacing, which he can then capitalize on as mario. he is also very good at digesting patterns and combatting them with his own reads, making his opponents scared to use their best options. he plays both the cloud and marcina matchups, in my opinion, as close to perfect as possible while being one of the best players skill-wise ever to touch the game. yet, he has still struggled on numerous occasions with these matchups. as an extension of this, if you look at matchup charts from players of both cloud and mario, it is almost universally agreed that the matchup is 55-45~60-40 in cloud's favor, even among players that have won or lost notable sets in the matchup before. this talk is definitely jumping the gun.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Yea I dont think I am surprisng anyome when I say that consatantly shorthopping towards Mario is not a great idea.

But that is basically the core of Clouds ground game and neutral. At this time at least.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
2GGC: Greninja Saga (May 20th) (Southern California) (355 Entrants) (Category 4)
1st: C9 | Ally :4mario:
2nd: MSF | Larry Lurr :4fox:
3rd: 2GG | komorikiri :4cloud2:, :4sonic::4lucina:
4th: IMT | ANTi :4mario:, :4cloud2:
5th: P1 | Tweek :4cloud2:, :4dk:
5th: Falln :rosalina:
7th: Locus :4ryu:
7th: Mr. R :4sheik:
9th: Captain Zack :4bayonetta:
9th: LG | Abadango :4mewtwo:, :4bayonetta:
9th: CLG | NAKAT :4fox:, :4lucina::4dk:
9th: TSM | ZeRo :4diddy:, :4lucina:
13th: Lea :4greninja:
13th: Edge :4diddy:
13th: Tyrant :4metaknight:
13th: BSD | Elegant :4luigi:
17th: Phoenix :4sonic:
17th: . Some :4greninja:
17th: Ac :4metaknight:, :4marth:
17th: NRG | Nairo :4zss:
17th: PG | Rich Brown :4mewtwo:
17th: 2GG | Ranai :4villager:
17th: TLTC :4palutena: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
17th: Oisiitofu :4greninja: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
25th: LH | Eon :4fox:
25th: CLG | VoiD :4sheik:
25th: Samsora :4peach:
25th: ImHip :4olimar:
25th: WYW | Soulimar :4olimar: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
25th: Mekos :4lucas: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
25th: Donquavious :4greninja: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)
25th: orKs | Elexiao :4greninja:, :4pacman: (Qualifies for OrionRank 2017)

Mr. R also used Cloud (for 2+ games) and Link (for his final game against Anti) FYI.

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
All this talk of Mario/Cloud might improve my perception of the Yoshi/Cloud matchup, but perhaps I'm speaking too optimistically. Although I can only offer one tournament set to back myself up:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Only characters that win matches are counted.
i still need to modify it a bit since a few things are wrong (ANTi won games with ZSS, Elex didn't use Pac)

tomorrow I'll have the last 3 weeks of tournies compiled in one post

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
all i really learned about mario this weekend was that if you outplay your opponent and find the correct punishes, the sword matchups (cloud and marcina) are doable, which is not anything new. no one ever said they were 65-35 or something in those character's favor. however, i think it would be unwise to discount virtually all existing matchup theory (supported by results for an extended period of time) because of one tournament. that's just jumping to conclusions too quickly. i'd like to remind people that leo has won virtually every set of mario vs marth that he's played since he first beat ally at canada cup last year. that this is the first time komo has lost to either ally or anti in the mario matchup. that top marios have struggled with numerous cloud players, including tweek, javi, komo, ned, and mr.r. while ally specifically has been able to win numerous sets against cloud players, he has still tended to struggle with the top echelon of clouds.

regarding the king of murder the king of murder in particular, walling out mario as cloud is not risky, and you have numerous effective tools for doing so, including bair, fair, nair, dair, and cross slash. it is in fact quite difficult to get in for mario, and this idea of 'offense vs defense' balancing out implies that cloud has to chip away at mario while mario only has to find one opening. the reason the matchup is truly bad for mario is the juggling situations and how much damage cloud can get out of them. mario is almost defenseless in juggling situations if you play them properly as cloud, making it difficult for him to regain any sense of control and forcing mario to take a lot of damage in order to land. even retreating to the ledge isn't good because mario's ledge options get walled out. in killing situations, cloud is much more difficult to deal with for mario than vice versa because cloud just has more options to kill you and will turn juggle situations into KOs frequently. even if you're jumping, that doesn't mean mario can just up smash you, so long as you ensure that you outspace him. as for ground pokes, i think you're forgetting non-limit cross slash, which is generally a fantastic tool for combatting mario's typical approaches and rather safe if used properly.

ally as a player is very good at sneaking in little pokes and powershields to push himself though his opponent's spacing, which he can then capitalize on as mario. he is also very good at digesting patterns and combatting them with his own reads, making his opponents scared to use their best options. he plays both the cloud and marcina matchups, in my opinion, as close to perfect as possible while being one of the best players skill-wise ever to touch the game. yet, he has still struggled on numerous occasions with these matchups. as an extension of this, if you look at matchup charts from players of both cloud and mario, it is almost universally agreed that the matchup is 55-45~60-40 in cloud's favor, even among players that have won or lost notable sets in the matchup before. this talk is definitely jumping the gun.
Bolded is really strange because Ally has a good streak against top Clouds as well in the past and Zenyou does fine vs Ned plus AnTi doing well against Zeros and Mr Rs pocket/secondary Cloud(whatever you want to call it). They also had to tank some losses of course but overall it looks pretty decent for Mario

Also correct me if I am wrong but Cross Slash is not safe on shield. It does horrible shield damage and stun. The first and second hit are also not safe.

Watch the recent Komo vs Ally set. Heck watch any top Cloud vs top Mario set, you will see Mario catching the Cloud jumping around when they tried to space an aerial really more often when you think. Cloud can't outspace him forever, Mario has the mobility and frame data to abuse Cloud's blindspots to his advantage. Having no grounded safe pokes is more significant when I first thought.

Lastly according to ElectricBlade, Ally thinks it's a 50/50 MU. Considering Ally's opinion about swordies vs Mario, that is really big.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Also correct me if I am wrong but Cross Slash is not safe on shield. It does horrible shield damage and stun. The first and second hit are also not safe.

Cloud is -11 from OOS options between normal cross slash 2 and 3, to be exact. So -4 if you have to drop shield. This is pretty relevant if you have something fast enough to interrupt it. I don't remember which tournament it was from, but Zero could've won a game vs Mr R's cloud if would've Dtilted a cross slash 2 on shield. He rolled instead :(

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Cloud is -11 from OOS options between normal cross slash 2 and 3, to be exact. So -4 if you have to drop shield. This is pretty relevant if you have something fast enough to interrupt it. I don't remember which tournament it was from, but Zero could've won a game vs Mr R's cloud if would've Dtilted a cross slash 2 on shield. He rolled instead :(
Hmm, how does that work exactly? More specifically, Greninja's grab comes out on frame 11 while the likes of Lucas, Link, Tink and Bowser Jr.'s come out on frame 12. Would Greninja get the grab successfully or would he get hit while doing the grab, causing that forced release that does 3% to the grabbed character? If it doesn't happen to Greninja then I imagine it'd happen to the other characters I mentioned.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Not only did he roll, but he also made the wrong punish. Would have been a 3-0.

(I think we're talking about the same moment.)

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Got curious about what BSP said about Cloud's normal Cross Slash on shield so I looked at every character's options to punish the window between Cross Slash's 2nd and 3rd hits. Keep in mind that I only factored the hitbox coming out before the third hit connects, not whether the hit will connect or not.
:4bayonetta:
Grab
Fair
Aerial After Burner Kick
Witch Twist
Aerial Witch Time
:4bowser:
Grab
Whirling Fortress
:4bowserjr:
Jab
Dtilt
Usmash
Grab (Comes out same frame as third hit of Cross Slash)
Item Toss
:4falcon:
Jab
Grab
Uair
:4charizard:
Jab
Usmash
Grab
Fly
:4cloud:
Jab
Grab
Nair
Uair
Aerial Limit Cross Slash (Intangibility but not hitbox)
(Limit) Climhazard
:4corrin:
Grab
Dragon Ascent (Intangibility but not hitbox)
:4darkpit:
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Power of Flight (Intangibility)
:4diddy:
Jab
Dtilt
Usmash
Grab
Fair
Bair
Uair
Rocketbarrel Boost
Item Toss
:4dk:
Ftilt (Arm intangibility but not hitbox)
Grab
Uair (Head intangibility but not hitbox)
Spinning Kong (Super armor but not hitbox)
Aerial Spinning Kong
:4drmario:
Jab
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Bair
Uair
Super Jump Punch
:4duckhunt:
Jab
Grab
Nair
Fair
Bair
Uair
:4falco:
Jab
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Bair
Reflector (Reflecting but not hitbox)
:4fox:
Jab
Dash Attack(?)
Utilt
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Fair
Dair
:4ganondorf:
Grab
:4greninja:
Jab
Grab
Bair
Uair
:4myfriends:
Jab
Grab
:4jigglypuff:
Grab
Rest
:4dedede:
Grab
:4kirby:
Jab
Utilt
Dtilt
Grab
Bair
:4link:
Usmash
Spin Attack
Item Toss
:4littlemac:
Jab
Dash Attack (Windbox but not hitbox)
Ftilt
Utilt
Dtilt
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Uair
Straight Lunge (Armor but not hitbox)
Rising Uppercut
Aerial Slip Counter
:4lucario:
Grab
Dair
Aerial Double Team
:4lucas:
Jab
Utilt
Dtilt
Usmash (Invincibility but not hitbox)
:4lucina:
Grab
Nair
Fair
Uair
Aerial Dancing Blade
Dolphin Slash
Aerial Counter
:4luigi:
Jab
Dash Attack(?)
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Bair
Uair
Super Jump Punch
:4mario:
Jab
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Bair
Uair
Dair
Super Jump Punch
:4marth:
Grab
Nair
Fair
Uair
Aerial Dancing Blade
Dolphin Slash
Aerial Counter
:4megaman:
Dtilt (Leg intangibility but not hitbox)
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Bair
Rush Coil
Item Toss
:4metaknight:
Dtilt
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Uair
Dair
Shuttle Loop
:4mewtwo:
Usmash
Grab
Fair
Teleport (Intangibility)
:4miisword:
Usmash
Grab
Hero's Spin
:4miibrawl:
Jab
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Uair
Helicopter Kick
Piston Punch
:4miigun:
Usmash
Grab
Cannon Uppercut
Echo Reflector
:4gaw:
Jab
Grab
Uair
Fire
Oil Panic
:4ness:
Jab
Dtilt
Usmash
Grab
Nair
:4olimar:
Jab
Grab
Pikmin Pluck
Aerial Pikmin Order (Super Armor)
:4pacman:
Jab
Dash Attack (Windbox?)
Nair
Fair
Dair
Pac-Jump
Item Toss
:4palutena:
Dash Attack (Invincibility but not hitbox?)
Grab
Nair
Bair (Invincibility but not hitbox)
:4peach:
Jab
Grab
Nair
Bair
Parasol
Item Toss
:4pikachu:
Jab
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Bair
Uair
:4pit:
Usmash
Grab
Nair
:4rob:
Jab
Utilt
Dtilt
Usmash
Grab
Fair
Robo Burner (Intangibility)
Item Toss
:4robinm:
Jab
Grab
Elwind
Item Toss
:rosalina:
Jab (Luma)
Utilt (Rosalina head intangibility but not hitbox)
Utilt (Luma)
Usmash (Both)
Grab
Nair (Luma)
Uair (Luma)
Gravitational Pull
:4feroy:
Usmash (Arm intangibility but not hitbox)
Grab
Nair
Uair
Aerial Double Edge Dance
Blazer
:4ryu:
Light Jab
Light Utilt
Medium Utilt (Body intangibility but not hitbox)
Light Dtilt
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Fair
Uair
Shoryuken
Focus Attack (Armor but not hitbox)
:4samus:
Jab
Usmash
Fair
Uair
Screw Attack
:4sheik:
Jab
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Fair
Bair
Uair
Bouncing Fish (Intangibility but not hitbox)
Item Toss
:4shulk:
Grab
Air Slash
:4sonic:
Jab
Grab
Nair
Fair
Uair
Spring Jump
:4tlink:
Usmash
Nair
Spin Attack
Item Toss
:4villager:
Jab
Nair
Uair
Aerial Pocket (Intangibility)
Aerial Timber Axe
Item Toss
:4wario:
Dash Attack(?)
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Fair
Corkscrew
Aerial Wario Half Waft
Aerial Wario Full Waft (Super Armor but not hitbox)
:4wiifit:
Jab
Grab
Bair
Uair
Super Hoop
:4yoshi:
Jab
Usmash
Nair
Uair
:4zelda:
Usmash
Grab
Farore's Wind
:4zss:
Jab
Utilt
Usmash
Fair
Uair
Boost Kick
Flip Kick (Intangibility but not hitbox)
The ones with question marks are some dash attacks that come out on f4. Not sure how that works since you'd have to initiate a dash which likely takes a frame or more. If I got any wrong, feel free to let me know and I'll fix it. Yay for being tired and bored and 'labbing' random stuff.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
hm, i actually don't think this is an accurate representation of their matchups

let's take a top 12 (order here doesn't matter) to be :4bayonetta::4sheik::4cloud2::4diddy::4sonic::rosalina::4marth::4lucina::4fox::4mario::4mewtwo::4zss:

if we look at this, bayo has a strong advantage over :4fox: plus slight advantages over :4zss::4mewtwo::4marth::4lucina::4mario:, and goes even with :4sheik::4diddy::4sonic::rosalina::4cloud2:

diddy has a strong advantage over :4zss::4mewtwo: and goes even with :4bayonetta::4sheik::4cloud2::4sonic::rosalina::4marth::4lucina::4fox: while losing to :4mario:

feel free to argue with me on particular matchups, but i'm confident that that bayo's mus vs the top 12 are better than diddy's
Thank you for compiling this list, so I can make mine too and reflect my point!
Keep in mind that these are mere opinions.

Favorable: :4zss:
Slightly favorable: :4bayonetta::4fox::4mewtwo::4marth::4lucina:
Even: :4sheik::4cloud::4diddy::4sonic:
Tough (even or maybe small disadvantage): :rosalina::4mario:

Favorable: :4fox::4zss:
Slightly favorable: :4cloud::4mewtwo:
Even: :4bayonetta::rosalina::4marth::4lucina:
Tough (even or maybe small disadvantage): :4sheik::4diddy::4sonic::4mario:

Interestingly enough, Mario holds his ground against both, he is known for being a tough matchup for Sheik, and this recent discussion suggests Cloud isn't too bad either.
He might be a fragile char when he gets consistently denied to get his game going (like swordies or Peach), but man, Mario won't stop being a top contender any time soon.
:196:

BSP

Smash Legend
Hmm, how does that work exactly? More specifically, Greninja's grab comes out on frame 11 while the likes of Lucas, Link, Tink and Bowser Jr.'s come out on frame 12. Would Greninja get the grab successfully or would he get hit while doing the grab, causing that forced release that does 3% to the grabbed character? If it doesn't happen to Greninja then I imagine it'd happen to the other characters I mentioned.
Greninja would get the grab, the F12 grabs would get hit when they grab Cloud.

For your list, Mac can use any tilt on cloud in the gap, assuming earliest hitbox connecting for Utilt .

I don't think the windbox of Pac's dash attack does any stun, so that'll likely get Pac hit.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Since we're talking about Cloud's lack of ground pokes, I'm reminded of another swordsman with the same problem: Corrin.

I'm just not all too convinced that Corrin is gonna be a big threat in the long run.

Usually "Intapin" is the argument given when people say that Corrin's combination of awful mobility and a lack of safe ground pokes will hurt her/him severely in the long run...but even pin isn't exactly the dominant force people believe it to be.

According to this, there should be many characters able to heavily punish Corrin's Pin OoS (depending on both the spacing of the pin and your char's range/frame data/mobility of course).

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Then you have Ryuga stating how difficult the Corrin/cloud matchup is...

I'm just not convinced yet.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Usmash
Spin Attack
JCIT

JCIT stands for Jump Cancelled Item Toss. The ones with question marks are Greninja's grab (Idk if the grab would go through or if they'd collide at the same time. If it would go through then there's some f12 grabs that would collide with the third hit of Cross Slash) and some dash attacks that come out on f4. Not sure how that works since you'd have to initiate a dash which likely takes a frame or more. If I got any wrong, feel free to let me know and I'll fix it. Yay for being tired and bored and 'labbing' random stuff.
You don't have to jump cancel to throw items OoS. It works OoS like a grab would since you can't grab while holding an item. Speaking of which, Link's frame 12 grab should still get Cloud since his spot dodge is frame 3.

This is why Clouds shouldn't CS unless they have limit.

I do think people underestimate Mario but do players besides Ally have good results as Mario vs Cloud?

Last edited:

Yikarur

Smash Master
Yep, I was expecting this.
I just want an honest answer lmao
What did improve your Perception on the MU? What do you think is the key here that gave you this Impression that other videos/discussions failed to archive?
I'm just curious, because I tell people for months already that this MU isn't as hopeless than most Yoshis make it sound but no one wants to believe me :(

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Since we're talking about Cloud's lack of ground pokes, I'm reminded of another swordsman with the same problem: Corrin.

I'm just not all too convinced that Corrin is gonna be a big threat in the long run.

Usually "Intapin" is the argument given when people say that Corrin's combination of awful mobility and a lack of safe ground pokes will hurt her/him severely in the long run...but even pin isn't exactly the dominant force people believe it to be.

According to this, there should be many characters able to heavily punish Corrin's Pin OoS (depending on both the spacing of the pin and your char's range/frame data/mobility of course).

Ryuga...your true main is calling you back...and he's got friends in need of fighting for...

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice

This. I agree with every word.
I was trying to explain this in the Ness Discord last week. To put it into perspective, Ness can consistently punish the startup of the kick from pin with nair (without putting himself at unreasonable risk from Corrin's aerial zoning) which is 10 frames minimum (5 frames for jumpsquat + frame 5 aerial). That's a poorly ranged move on a character not exactly known for his mobility. It also instigates Ness' advantage state. If you have this knowledge, Corrin's safest option is to jump, but that puts her in the air above Ness. Same end result.

If you're too far away to punish pin at startup, the kick does not move that fast and you can punish it similarly to how you would punish a spin dash or monkey flip. Even if you don't punish the kick itself, you're applying a lot of pressure which Corrin isn't built to handle. Towards the end of the move the kick hitbox becomes a lot smaller and Corrin's body becomes very vulnerable, much more manageable than the early kick hitboxes if your character is like Ness and can't challenge that.

I am not saying Pin is a bad move. Respect it but do not fear it. Once you figure this out, you start to realise that the character isn't actually that great. Good, yes, but not great.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
https://twitter.com/noji_nko/status/866300708248670208

It appears you can SDI out of Fox's Fair Foostool and footstool him back for it. I'd note that Nojinko probably has the best SDI on the planet, so I'm not sure how easy or hard it may be.
Pre-emptive SDI is always stronger. It's likely not that viable, most of his "godlike" SDI stuff is from being pre-emptive.
Furthermore, the fox had no rage. Fair > Footstool was always less consistent wiithout rage. Same goes for mario's fthrow > fair > footstool.

As for the cloud discussion, Mario v Marcina is notably better than Mario v Cloud.

Mario can't combo cloud properly or safely at pretty much any percent, neutral is hard, getting kills us hard since he's sooo resistant to usmash with limit, so mario HAS to edgeguard. Of course he has the tools to do it, but when you only have one decent win condition you can't help but become predictable.

Rizen

Smash Legend
All this talk of Mario/Cloud might improve my perception of the Yoshi/Cloud matchup, but perhaps I'm speaking too optimistically. Although I can only offer one tournament set to back myself up:

I watched that and it looks like a case of the Wall outplaying Red9. Cloud wiffed a lot of limits in weird ways. I will say Yoshi's Dair wrecks Cloud when trying to grab a ledge.

|RK|

Smash Marketer

I was talking about this before in the Kirby Discord - the top part of the pin is also a hurtbox. So usmash OOS should be fast enough to hit it. Other characters who are taller can just grab. Pin ain't that oppressive.

Pre-emptive SDI is always stronger. It's likely not that viable, most of his "godlike" SDI stuff is from being pre-emptive.
Furthermore, the fox had no rage. Fair > Footstool was always less consistent wiithout rage. Same goes for mario's fthrow > fair > footstool.

As for the cloud discussion, Mario v Marcina is notably better than Mario v Cloud.

Mario can't combo cloud properly or safely at pretty much any percent, neutral is hard, getting kills us hard since he's sooo resistant to usmash with limit, so mario HAS to edgeguard. Of course he has the tools to do it, but when you only have one decent win condition you can't help but become predictable.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't performing SDI pre-emptively result in no SDI at all?

Last edited:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
To add to punishing Cloud's cross limit, lucas is even able to upsmash his limit cross slash out of shield.

For the Kamui talk, I know Lucas zair can nullify the pin's hitbox regardless if we hit the sour or sweetspot of the move.

I was thinking that characters without disjoints could nullify the pin with a tilt or aerial while approaching to close the gap but they may take damage unless their limb is invulnerable.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
Got curious about what BSP said about Cloud's normal Cross Slash on shield so I looked at every character's options to punish the window between Cross Slash's 2nd and 3rd hits. Keep in mind that I only factored the hitbox coming out before the third hit connects, not whether the hit will connect or not.
Grab
Fair
Aerial After Burner Kick
Witch Twist
Aerial Witch Time
:4bowser:
Grab
Whirling Fortress
:4bowserjr:
Jab
Dtilt
Usmash
JCIT
:4falcon:
Jab
Grab
Uair
:4charizard:
Jab
Usmash
Grab
Fly
:4cloud:
Jab
Grab
Nair
Uair
Aerial Limit Cross Slash (Intangibility but not hitbox)
(Limit) Climhazard
:4corrin:
Grab
Dragon Ascent (Intangibility but not hitbox)
:4darkpit:
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Jab
Dtilt
Usmash
Grab
Fair
Bair
Uair
Rocketbarrel Boost
JCIT
:4dk:
Ftilt (Arm intangibility but not hitbox)
Grab
Uair (Head intangibility but not hitbox)
Spinning Kong (Super armor but not hitbox)
Aerial Spinning Kong
:4drmario:
Jab
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Bair
Uair
Super Jump Punch
:4duckhunt:
Jab
Grab
Nair
Fair
Bair
Uair
:4falco:
Jab
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Bair
:4fox:
Jab
Dash Attack(?)
Utilt
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Fair
Dair
:4ganondorf:
Grab
:4greninja:
Jab
Grab(?)
Bair
Uair
:4myfriends:
Jab
Grab
:4jigglypuff:
Grab
Rest
:4dedede:
Grab
:4kirby:
Jab
Utilt
Dtilt
Grab
Bair
Usmash
Spin Attack
JCIT
:4littlemac:
Jab
Dash Attack (Windbox but not hitbox)
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Uair
Straight Lunge (Armor but not hitbox)
Rising Uppercut
Aerial Slip Counter
:4lucario:
Grab
Dair
Aerial Double Team
:4lucas:
Jab
Utilt
Dtilt
:4lucina:
Grab
Nair
Fair
Uair
Aerial Dancing Blade
Dolphin Slash
Aerial Counter
:4luigi:
Jab
Dash Attack(?)
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Bair
Uair
Super Jump Punch
:4mario:
Jab
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Bair
Uair
Dair
Super Jump Punch
:4marth:
Grab
Nair
Fair
Uair
Aerial Dancing Blade
Dolphin Slash
Aerial Counter
:4megaman:
Dtilt (Leg intangibility but not hitbox)
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Bair
Rush Coil
JCIT
:4metaknight:
Dtilt
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Uair
Dair
Shuttle Loop
:4mewtwo:
Usmash
Grab
Fair
Teleport (Intangibility)
:4miisword:
Usmash
Grab
Hero's Spin
:4miibrawl:
Jab
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Uair
Helicopter Kick
Piston Punch
:4miigun:
Usmash
Grab
Cannon Uppercut
Echo Reflector
:4gaw:
Jab
Grab
Uair
Fire
Oil Panic
:4ness:
Jab
Dtilt
Usmash
Grab
Nair
:4olimar:
Jab
Grab
Pikmin Pluck
Aerial Pikmin Order (Super Armor)
:4pacman:
Jab
Dash Attack (Windbox?)
Nair
Fair
Dair
Pac-Jump
JCIT
:4palutena:
Dash Attack (Invincibility but not hitbox?)
Grab
Nair
Bair (Invincibility but not hitbox)
:4peach:
Jab
Grab
Nair
Bair
Parasol
JCIT
:4pikachu:
Jab
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Bair
Uair
:4pit:
Usmash
Grab
Nair
:4rob:
Jab
Utilt
Dtilt
Usmash
Grab
Fair
Robo Burner (Intangibility)
JCIT
:4robinm:
Jab
Grab
Elwind
:rosalina:
Jab (Luma)
Utilt (Rosalina head intangibility but not hitbox)
Utilt (Luma)
Usmash (Both)
Grab
Nair (Luma)
Uair (Luma)
Gravitational Pull
:4feroy:
Usmash (Arm intangibility but not hitbox)
Grab
Nair
Uair
Aerial Double Edge Dance
Blazer
:4ryu:
Light Jab
Light Utilt
Medium Utilt (Body intangibility but not hitbox)
Light Dtilt
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Fair
Uair
Shoryuken
Focus Attack (Armor but not hitbox)
:4samus:
Jab
Usmash
Fair
Uair
Screw Attack
:4sheik:
Jab
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Fair
Bair
Uair
Bouncing Fish (Intangibility but not hitbox)
JCIT
:4shulk:
Grab
Air Slash
:4sonic:
Jab
Grab
Nair
Fair
Uair
Spring Jump
:4tlink:
Usmash
Nair
Spin Attack
JCIT
:4villager:
Jab
Nair
Uair
Aerial Pocket (Intangibility)
Aerial Timber Axe
JCIT
:4wario:
Dash Attack(?)
Usmash
Grab
Nair
Fair
Corkscrew
Aerial Wario Half Waft
Aerial Wario Full Waft (Super Armor but not hitbox)
:4wiifit:
Jab
Grab
Bair
Uair
Super Hoop
:4yoshi:
Jab
Usmash
Nair
Uair
:4zelda:
Usmash
Grab
Farore's Wind
:4zss:
Jab
Utilt
Usmash
Fair
Uair
Boost Kick
Flip Kick (Intangibility but not hitbox)
JCIT stands for Jump Cancelled Item Toss. The ones with question marks are Greninja's grab (Idk if the grab would go through or if they'd collide at the same time. If it would go through then there's some f12 grabs that would collide with the third hit of Cross Slash) and some dash attacks that come out on f4. Not sure how that works since you'd have to initiate a dash which likely takes a frame or more. If I got any wrong, feel free to let me know and I'll fix it. Yay for being tired and bored and 'labbing' random stuff.
this only factors in having enough time though, not enough range. the idea is that cloud spaces it so those options don't really work, and cross slash has a lot of range. cross slash is not entirely safe, but it can be pretty safe especially if you don't really have the range to punish it.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
You don't have to jump cancel to throw items OoS. It works OoS like a grab would since you can't grab while holding an item. Speaking of which, Link's frame 12 grab should still get Cloud since his spot dodge is frame 3.

This is why Clouds shouldn't CS unless they have limit.
I had completely forgotten about not needing to JCIT. Makes sense though since the Z button throws items when grounded. As for Link's grab, the -11 for OoS options is between the 2nd and 3rd hit of Cloud's normal Cross Slash so Link could grab but he'd get hit on the same frame by the third hit of Cross Slash.
this only factors in having enough time though, not enough range. the idea is that cloud spaces it so those options don't really work, and cross slash has a lot of range. cross slash is not entirely safe, but it can be pretty safe especially if you don't really have the range to punish it.
I did mention that the list was purely for what options are fast enough to even come out, not whether they would connect. Ganondorf is a perfect example since the only thing he has that can come out between the 2nd and 3rd hits is his grab and he has one of the shortest grab ranges in the game vs a move that's being used by a sword wielder.

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
I do think people underestimate Mario but do players besides Ally have good results as Mario vs Cloud?
Well if you are speaking about top level Mario vs Cloud.

Zenyou
https://youtu.be/rAg937s41Ds?t=54m59s vs Ned crew battle close one
https://youtu.be/JBc7jkAN6jk vs Ned again
https://youtu.be/QDOrRtaZMe8 vs Falafel
https://youtu.be/HWMq6_BFetk vs Nicko

Anti didn't face a lot of Clouds with Mario suprisingly but the few he did were Zero and Mr. R when they counter picked
https://youtu.be/6m17w4q8Vfw
https://youtu.be/-CdVGAbi7_8?t=6m35s

take those with a grain of salt though they only used him for like one game so not enough data here but it clearly didn't work out for them.

Also Mr.R vs Antis recent set at Greninja Saga but I am sure you know about it. So yeah Mario does pretty well against Cloud result wise.

Btw I am not trying to downplay Cloud's strength here, he is still a top character with very opressive tools.

I just feel like a lot more characters do better (are even) vs Cloud then people currently think. I just choose Mario as an arguement here because Mario vs Cloud MU has the most data to prove my point with video evidence and in terms of top level exposure plus it was relevant to the current discussion. I have a lot more characters in mind who could potentially be even or dare I say better but I don't have enough evidence for that, so I won't argue now.

Last edited:

my_T

Smash Journeyman
Well if you are speaking about top level Mario vs Cloud.

Zenyou
https://youtu.be/rAg937s41Ds?t=54m59s vs Ned crew battle close one
https://youtu.be/JBc7jkAN6jk vs Ned again
https://youtu.be/QDOrRtaZMe8 vs Falafel
https://youtu.be/HWMq6_BFetk vs Nicko

Anti didn't face a lot of Clouds with Mario suprisingly but the few he did were Zero and Mr. R when they counter picked
https://youtu.be/6m17w4q8Vfw
https://youtu.be/-CdVGAbi7_8?t=6m35s

take those with a grain of salt though they only used him for like one game so not enough data here but it clearly didn't work out for them.

Also Mr.R vs Antis recent set at Greninja Saga but I am sure you know about it. So yeah Mario does pretty well against Cloud result wise.

Btw I am not trying to downplay Cloud's strength here, he is still a top character with very opressive tools.

I just feel like a lot more characters do better (are even) vs Cloud then people currently think. I just choose Mario as an arguement here because Mario vs Cloud MU has the most data to prove my point with video evidence and in terms of top level exposure plus it was relevant to the current discussion. I have a lot more characters in mind who could potentially be even or dare I say better but I don't have enough evidence for that, so I won't argue now.
ANTi lost a two sets to Tweeks Cloud. One where he used Mario entirely. The other set he didn't use Mario.

Also, lets be honest, Mr R and Zeros Clouds are nice but their not quite on the level of Komo, Tweek, or Leo.

This MU I feel is disadvantageous for Mario but by how much I am unsure. It's hard to say with Ally being so good as a player and the other top Marios not quite having the same success as Ally in a lot of MU's.

This discussion reminds me of Diddy vs Mario where Ally seems to be very successful in the MU where as ANTi and Zenyou are like even or have a losing record against top Diddys (correct me if I'm wrong)

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
ANTi lost a two sets to Tweeks Cloud. One where he used Mario entirely. The other set he didn't use Mario.

Also, lets be honest, Mr R and Zeros Clouds are nice but their not quite on the level of Komo, Tweek, or Leo.

This MU I feel is disadvantageous for Mario but by how much I am unsure. It's hard to say with Ally being so good as a player and the other top Marios not quite having the same success as Ally in a lot of MU's.

This discussion reminds me of Diddy vs Mario where Ally seems to be very successful in the MU where as ANTi and Zenyou are like even or have a losing record against top Diddys (correct me if I'm wrong)
I dunno how true this is anymore (for Mr. R), of those three he's the only one to take a set off ZeRo with Cloud.

Heck I think the only people to ever beat him in bracket with Cloud are Mr. R, M2K, and Ned.

ZeRo's cloud is indeed booty though (for a player of his caliber).

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
What do Mr. R, M2K, and Ned do that makes their Clouds able to beat ZeRo when "better" Clouds can't?

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
What do Mr. R, M2K, and Ned do that makes their Clouds able to beat ZeRo when "better" Clouds can't?
It might come down to simple play style. Certain players have a harder time with specific playstyles that certain other players favor. Since Cloud lends himself to a wide variety of play styles it might just be that the playstyles favored by Mr. R, M2K, and Ned are just better at taking on Zero than other players.
Obviously it isn't nearly that simple but it might be part of it.

ismaaa

Smash Rookie
I have a question for all of you! Wich character as the most potential to grow in this current meta?

|RK|

Smash Marketer
ZeRo's Limit usage has improved a lot, honestly. He used to effectively waste it all the time. I wonder though - it seems like it may be more effective to hold limit for the whole match due to the fear in generates. When I saw ZeRo whiff his last LCS vs Falln, I thought "welp, this is done." I think the pressure generated by having limit may be way more valuable than the limit moves themselves at times. Because once limit is gone, all of a sudden your opponent's fear vanishes, and you're left in a bad position.

BSP

Smash Legend
Yeah, but spacing is always a two way street. In the event that something isn't spaced well enough, it's always nice to know your punishes.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
I have been thinking, Smash 4 seems to be the only Smash game where a decent amount of top tier characters have a weird MU lurking in the lower tiers, i.e. :4fox: VS :4kirby:, :4cloud: VS :4charizard:, :4sheik: VS :4dk: and until a certain amount time, :4myfriends: VS :4sonic:.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom