• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

sups48

Smash Rookie
NNID
CharmanderY
Not quite the case either.
Tweek's just better than all of them. As a player.
This is fairly common. ZeRo:4diddy::4falcon:, VoiD:4fox:, Mr. R :4sheik:(compared to VoiD), MKLeo:4shulk:, etc. You don't need to be an absolute professional at a character when you're straight up better at the game than the competition.
Zero was never better then fatality he just beat him in the ditto.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
What are people's opinions on :4megaman:right now?
At a high/top level, he's lower end of high tier. At a low/mid level he's probably somewhere in mid tier. The character is really hard to play well, which keeps people from playing him. This is true for many high tiers, who often take a long time to learn while still giving less reward than top tiers. There are some exceptions, such as Corrin (who still seems fairly uncommon, from what I've seen) and Captain Falcon (who is rather common).

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
Looking to gauge some opinions here...

For me, he's clearly a pretty solid character, but since his performance at EVO last year, he's just been really... lacking; sort of on a steady decline.

It seems top players are starting to rank Mega Man a bit lower too; when ZeRo released his "Mid Tier" video, he took it down almost half an hour into releasing it because the end round up had his "High Tier" image. In said image, Mega Man was ranked somewhere between 26th-31st... something like that (of course this could change by the time the actual video releases, but it's worth noting).

And hasn't Kameme dropped Mega Man now (or at least expressed desire to no longer have him as his main)?

What do you all think of the super fighting robot?

I've got a few more characters I am also looking to get some general opinion on, but I'll drip them into here slowly so discussion is more focused.
I would love to see what Mega Man players make of him. As far as I can tell he's a fairly mediocre character. He's solid for sure and extremely interesting imo but what's keeping him relevant in the meta?
How many relevant characters does he beat? And is it ever worth using him over another counterpick character? I think as far as this goes, his main niche is being a solid Diddy Kong counterpick, but I am of the opinion that this doesn't warrant significant time investment on it's own, considering how the rest of his matchup spread looks.

He demands a lot of effort to play effectively, and isn't exactly rewarding relative to how mentally taxing he is. Compare his damage potential to the rest of B tier (and C tier) and it doesn't even come close. I think to be good in this game you need to have powerful conversions or the ability to maintain advantage for a significant length of time (Mega Man in this regard is somewhat lacking compared to B and C tier), as well as decent kill potential due to the presence of Rage. It's a mechanic that doesn't do a heavily neutral-oriented character any favours at all.

Maybe that's the point of his design? Designed to appeal to gamers who want a challenge and to work for the win. Just like the original Mega Man games. It's cool to think that was the vibe they were going for. But it doesn't do him many favours in competitive play.
He's not a bad character by any means, but imo he's lacking what the clearly "good" characters have. If he was in Brawl he would probably have been a more relevant threat than he is in Smash 4.
--
(Speaking of Brawl, that's my favourite Smash game. I think it gets a lot of unnecessary flak from people who only care about combos but imo an intelligent neutral is far, far more interesting than combos and advantage/disadvantage state. Also Subspace Emissary was pretty fun)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I remember making a post sometime last year that :4shulk:& :4link: would make it to mid tier by early this year, good to see that they're held in that regard nowadays.

Despite not being the biggest Shulk optimist for a while, I see him as a pretty solid character now even if he'll always be held back by his startup weakness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Civil War Week:

1st: 9B :4bayonetta:
2nd: Kameme :4megaman:, :4darkpit::4sheik::4yoshi:
3rd: Shuton :4olimar:
4th: VoiD :4sheik:
5th: Earth :4pit:, :4fox::4corrinf:
5th: tyroy :4bayonetta:
7th: K9sbruce :4diddy:
7th: Kirihara :rosalina:
9th: Kome :4shulk:
9th: Nietono :4sheik:
9th: ANTi :4metaknight:
9th: JK :4bayonetta:
13th: Fuwa :4marth:
13th: Charliedaking :4fox:
13th: Abadango :4mewtwo:
13th: Komorikiri :4marth:, :4cloud2: ]

1st: CRimZ :4fox:, :4cloud2::4falcon:
2nd: BP|TrueMain :4sonic:
3rd: Viviff T. Great, MBA :4bowser:
4th: SilentRain :4mario:, :4greninja:
5th: Shinkou :4metaknight:
5th: NikkiNanka :4cloud2:
7th: KaZaK :4cloud2:
7th: Light :4lucina:

1st: sinnyboo242 :4sheik:
2nd: yeti :4tlink:
3rd: Skillager :4villager:
4th: MJG :4tlink:, :4villager:

1st: Mistake :4bayonetta:
2nd: V115 :4zss:
3rd: iModerz :4fox:
4th: San :4myfriends:

1st: IxisNaugus :4sonic:
2nd: J.Miller :4luigi:
3rd: SevereCalamari :4lucario:
4th: Ho/Jack Hunter :4bayonetta:
5th: C.R.Z :4fox:
5th: Peligod :4sonic:
7th: Aperture :4sonic:
7th: Streakz :4mario:

1st: Big D :4falcon:
2nd: Len :4pit:
3rd: Grade :4mewtwo:
4th: Kantrip :4sonic:

1st: KEN :4sonic:
2nd: Watashi wa kitsenedesu kyatto :4cloud2:
3rd: RAIN :4cloud2:
4th: Taranito :4ness:, :4mario:
5th: Kenkenpa :4rob:
5th: Gackt :4ness:
7th: Banku :4pacman:
7th: Matcha :4mewtwo:

1st: Renegade :4ryu:, :4cloud2:
2nd: Sells :4bayonetta:
3rd: Krow :4olimar:, :4dk:
4th: TriVum :4bowser:

1st: Snugs :4ryu:
2nd: Duon :4fox:, :4littlemac:
3rd: Extra :4gaw:, :4wario2:
4th: Eternal :4sheik:
5th: Haiku :4bayonetta:
5th: Ignis :4robinf:, :4mario:
7th: Conan :4corrinf:
7th: Revax:4mewtwo:

1st: komorikiri :4cloud2:, :4sonic:
2nd: Elegant :4luigi:
3rd: Ranai :4villager:
4th: Zenyou :4mario:

1st: K9sbruce :4sheik:
2nd: Javi :4cloud2:, :4sheik:
3rd: MrConCon :4luigi:
4th: Charliedaking :4fox:

1st: Shuton :4olimar:
2nd: MKLeo :4marth:, :4cloud2::4sheik:
3rd: Charliedaking :4fox:
4th: iStudying :4greninja:
5th: Elegant :4luigi:
5th: DSS :4metaknight:, :4gaw:
7th: Ac :4metaknight:
7th: Tweek :4bowserjr:

Last Weekend:

1st: ZeRo :4diddy:, :4lucina:
2nd: Tweek :4cloud2:, :4diddy:
3rd: MKLeo :4cloud2:,:4marth::4sheik:
4th: Salem :4bayonetta:
5th: WaDi :4mewtwo:, :4rob:
5th: Nairo :4zss:
7th: Mr. E :4lucina:, :4marth:
7th: 6WX :4sonic:
9th: Raffi-X :4rob:
9th: Biddy :4tlink:
9th: Chaos :4bowser:,:4cloud2::4lucina:
9th: Light :4fox:
13th: Koolaid :4sheik:
13th: Promaelia :4corrinf:
13th: UtopianRay :rosalina:
13th: Zoan :4mewtwo:

1st: Boozer :4bowser:
2nd: MM :4miibrawl:, :4olimar::4palutena:
3rd: Sriks :4shulk:
4th: Ignis :4robinf:, :4mario:
5th: Pazx :4diddy:
5th: Duon :4fox:, :4littlemac:
7th: Waveguider :4greninja:, :4wiifit:
7th: Luco :4lucas:, :4ness:

1st: Marshall :4diddy:
2nd: Crazycolorz5 :rosalina:
3rd: Colinies :4fox:
4th: Darkshad :4ryu:

1st: Ally :4mario:
2nd: Blacktwins :4cloud2:, :4mario:
3rd: Mistake :4bayonetta:, :4zss:
4th: SuperGirlKels :4sonic:
5th: Darkwolf :4shulk:
5th: Deathorse :4mewtwo:
7th: Fwed :4fox:
7th: Chrim Foish :4diddy:

1st: ESAM :4pikachu:
2nd: MVD :4diddy:
3rd: Marss :4zss:
4th: Pugwest :4marth:, :4lucina:

1st: Wusi :4fox:
2nd: quiK :4zss:, :4mario:
3rd: Schligger :4mewtwo:
4th: Purple H :4cloud2:

1st: Samsora :4peach:, :rosalina:
2nd: Captain Zack :4bayonetta:
3rd: BrawlerG31 :4littlemac:
4th: BSP :4mario:

1st: Peabnut :4megaman:
2nd: Black Yoshi :4bayonetta:
3rd: Mekos :4lucas:
4th: RFang :4mario:
5th: Dongquavious :4greninja:, :4zss:
5th: Gael :4falcon:
7th: Brownie :4megaman:, :4shulk:
7th: Zephyr :4cloud2:

1st: MKLeo :4cloud2:, :4metaknight:
2nd: VoiD :4sheik:
3rd: Zan :4tlink:, :4mewtwo:
4th: K9sbruce :4sheik:, :4diddy:

1st: ScAtt :4megaman:
2nd: Fatality :4falcon:
3rd: RoguePenguin :4mario:
4th: Saj :4bayonetta:
5th: Sonido :4sonic:
5th: Dog W/Hips :4lucario:
7th: ChillyChilli :4mario:, :4zss:
7th: Yuruloki :4cloud2:

1st: Glutonny :4wario:, :4sheik:
2nd: Elexiao :4greninja:, :4pacman:
3rd: Ogey :4falcon:
4th: Fire :4charizard:

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Reading that V3 followup, not too surprised to find out that Japan views Sonic as a Top 3 character. Might be why ZeRo has consistently been rating Sonic higher than the average since he's always had incredibly high opinions of Japan's players and their meta. I have to wonder what Civil War would look like if KEN was in attendance.

For me, he's clearly a pretty solid character, but since his performance at EVO last year, he's just been really... lacking; sort of on a steady decline.

It seems top players are starting to rank Mega Man a bit lower too; when ZeRo released his "Mid Tier" video, he took it down almost half an hour into releasing it because the end round up had his "High Tier" image. In said image, Mega Man was ranked somewhere between 26th-31st... something like that (of course this could change by the time the actual video releases, but it's worth noting).

And hasn't Kameme dropped Mega Man now (or at least expressed desire to no longer have him as his main)?

I've got a few more characters I am also looking to get some general opinion on, but I'll drip them into here slowly so discussion is more focused.
Mega Man is (or rather was) respected too much. Problem back then was that's exactly what he wants. He preys hard on matchup inexperience. Counterplay was developed way too quickly after Kameme's breakout moment at EVO and in a meta like Smash 4 he comes across as one of the characters that has an incredibly explicit ceiling. To be honest, if his BAir wasn't as good as it is, I'd kind of expect him to be a whole tier lower.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
I think the problem with :4megaman: is that Kameme is pretty much the only one using him. He has no other top level representative to help advance Kameme. This is likely what will happen to :4link:, it is what kinda happened to :rosalina:, it happened to :4robinf:,:4tlink:, and others.

Characters and top level players need other top level players to remain at the top.

Last edited:

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
I think the problem with :4megaman: is that Kameme is pretty much the only one using him. He has no other top level representative to help advance Kameme
So apparently Scatt doesn't count :<

And if this is the logic you're using, a decent number of characters could fall under this (Robin, Pikachu, Luigi, etc.).

verbatim

Smash Ace
He has no other top level representative ... it is what kinda happened to :rosalina:

Rosalina's a pretty bad example to use in 2017.

As an aside, there's not always a direct correspondance between character preformance at big events and overall utility. Bayonetta, Cloud, and Corrin have done better at multi-day events post-patch than pre-patch, and they definitely didn't get buffed.

Last edited:

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
So apparently Scatt doesn't count :<

And if this is the logic you're using, a decent number of characters could fall under this (Robin, Pikachu, Luigi, etc.).
No Scatt doesn't count. I am not talking about "decent characters". I am talking about characters that compete well at top level over a long period of time.

verbatim verbatim
It's not that characters can't resurge. I'd say Debuz's win at CIvil War was aided by Kirihara's win at Frame Perfect (along with not having to play Nairo, Tweek, Komo, Leo, Zero).

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
MSM 92 ft. Mr. R (103 Entrants) (SoCal)

1st: Elegant :4luigi:
2nd: Mr. R :4bayonetta2: :4cloud2:
3rd: Tyrant :4metaknight: :4diddy:
4th: Aarvark :4villager:
5th: Taternator :4wendy:
5th: Nicko :4shulk:
7th: Ghost :4fox:
7th: Phoenix :4sonic:
9th: VoiD :4sheik: :4mewtwo:
9th: NCJacobT :4bayonetta2: :4ryu:
9th: Scourgemom :4pikachu:
9th: K9Sbruce :4sheik:
13th: Scizor :4link:
13th: Razo :4peach:
13th: Dynamo :4sheik:
13th: Jsan :4marth:

Note: Both VoiD and Scizor were DQed in losers.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Reading that V3 followup, not too surprised to find out that Japan views Sonic as a Top 3 character. Might be why ZeRo has consistently been rating Sonic higher than the average since he's always had incredibly high opinions of Japan's players and their meta. I have to wonder what Civil War would look like if KEN was in attendance

Well regarding Sonic's MU chart he seems like he could be around top 3. I am not so sure he has NO losing MU'S like in 6WX MU chart he posted a while back.

He does lose to :4cloud2: and possibly :4bayonetta::4zss: based on results.
:4zss:

:4sonic: has great results, but I would not call them top 3 level yet.

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
At least two of the characters I listed could classify under your standard.
Depends on what one considers to count as performing well at top level over a long period of time.

:4megaman::4tlink::4robinf::4link: have all arguably not done that yet.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813

2nd: Mr. R :4bayonetta2:
9th: VoiD :4sheik:

So uh...Mr.R switched to Bayo huh? Looks like it worked out for him for the most part. Sadly for him though,Elegant is the Bayo killer. Why didn't he just use Sheik for that matchup vs Luigi?

Also obligatory "hey beat a low tier placing" through solo Wendy.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord

9th: VoiD :4sheik:

So does this mean Mr.R is also planning to start using Bayo more as well?

To bad he decided to solo her in a competition with "The Witch Slayer" Elegant, lol

Also I am not sure Mr.R,s using Sheik would of been that much better.
Elegant has destroyed Mr.R Sheik before too
Elegant is kinda funny where he will destroy MU'S Luigi is apparently bad at. :4cloud2::4marth::4sheik: yet struggle with MU'S Luigi supposedly does well against (:4diddy:)

Last edited:

verbatim

Smash Ace
Well regarding Sonic's MU chart he seems like he could be around top 3. I am not so sure he has NO losing MU'S like in 6WX MU chart he posted a while back.

He does lose to :4cloud2: and possibly :4bayonetta::4zss: based on results.
:4zss:

:4sonic: has great results, but I would not call them top 3 level yet.
IDT Sonic loses to ZSS. Nairo has a consistent record over US sonic's, but I would put that up to skill gap. When you look at top 20 players, KEN and Nairo are exactly even in sets, with Nairo having to use Cloud on multiple occasions to win the set.

For a more US based comparrison, some googling reveals a 2-1 set win by 6WX over Marss at a MSM and a 3-2 win by Marss at Civil War.

I would argue that the matchup is even more than anything else, and that Sonic tenatively loses to Cloud and Fox.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ

Mid tier.

The character's meta didn't really seem to grow anywhere past footstool combos (that everyone can do back to him...) and better pellet walling. While he has pretty good tools to annoy the opponent, when you stop giving him space to pester, he just falls apart and struggles to get his footing back for longer than most characters.

Last edited:

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
IDT Sonic loses to ZSS. Nairo has a consistent record over US sonic's, but I would put that up to skill gap. When you look at top 20 players, KEN and Nairo are exactly even in sets, with Nairo having to use Cloud on multiple occasions to win the set.

For a more US based comparrison, some googling reveals a 2-1 set win by 6WX over Marss at a MSM and a 3-2 win by Marss at Civil War.

I would argue that the matchup is even more than anything else, and that Sonic tenatively loses to Cloud and Fox.

What about the Bayo MU . Salem has a pretty dominant record vs Sonic mains, and Zack too to a lesser extent.

Most of Sonic's approach options seem like easy bait for Witch Twist and Witch Time, Sonic also does not seem to like dealing with Bayo's large and lingering airiels which can hit him right out of his spin dashes when times right. Sonic also seems to be comboed and janked surprisingly easy too

Sonic can win t if he gets an early lead and goes full on Wrath style camping and lame play, but Bayo can also do the same to Sonic to a somewhat lesser degree

Last edited:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
with Nairo having to use Cloud on multiple occasions to win the set.
Nairo has only ever taken games/sets off of KEN with ZSS. I'm pretty sure his Cloud is 0-4 against him in games.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Civil War Week:

1st: 9B :4bayonetta:
2nd: Kameme :4megaman:, :4darkpit::4sheik::4yoshi:
3rd: Shuton :4olimar:
4th: VoiD :4sheik:
5th: Earth :4pit:, :4fox::4corrinf:
5th: tyroy :4bayonetta:
7th: K9sbruce :4diddy:
7th: Kirihara :rosalina:
9th: Kome :4shulk:
9th: Nietono :4sheik:
9th: ANTi :4metaknight:
9th: JK :4bayonetta:
13th: Fuwa :4marth:
13th: Charliedaking :4fox:
13th: Abadango :4mewtwo:
13th: Komorikiri :4marth:, :4cloud2: ]

1st: CRimZ :4fox:, :4cloud2::4falcon:
2nd: BP|TrueMain :4sonic:
3rd: Viviff T. Great, MBA :4bowser:
4th: SilentRain :4mario:, :4greninja:
5th: Shinkou :4metaknight:
5th: NikkiNanka :4cloud2:
7th: KaZaK :4cloud2:
7th: Light :4lucina:

1st: sinnyboo242 :4sheik:
2nd: yeti :4tlink:
3rd: Skillager :4villager:
4th: MJG :4tlink:, :4villager:

1st: Mistake :4bayonetta:
2nd: V115 :4zss:
3rd: iModerz :4fox:
4th: San :4myfriends:

1st: IxisNaugus :4sonic:
2nd: J.Miller :4luigi:
3rd: SevereCalamari :4lucario:
4th: Ho/Jack Hunter :4bayonetta:
5th: C.R.Z :4fox:
5th: Peligod :4sonic:
7th: Aperture :4sonic:
7th: Streakz :4mario:

1st: Big D :4falcon:
2nd: Len :4pit:
3rd: Grade :4mewtwo:
4th: Kantrip :4sonic:

1st: KEN :4sonic:
2nd: Watashi wa kitsenedesu kyatto :4cloud2:
3rd: RAIN :4cloud2:
4th: Taranito :4ness:, :4mario:
5th: Kenkenpa :4rob:
5th: Gackt :4ness:
7th: Banku :4pacman:
7th: Matcha :4mewtwo:

1st: Renegade :4ryu:, :4cloud2:
2nd: Sells :4bayonetta:
3rd: Krow :4olimar:, :4dk:
4th: TriVum :4bowser:

1st: Snugs :4ryu:
2nd: Duon :4fox:, :4littlemac:
3rd: Extra :4gaw:, :4wario2:
4th: Eternal :4sheik:
5th: Haiku :4bayonetta:
5th: Ignis :4robinf:, :4mario:
7th: Conan :4corrinf:
7th: Revax:4mewtwo:

1st: komorikiri :4cloud2:, :4sonic:
2nd: Elegant :4luigi:
3rd: Ranai :4villager:
4th: Zenyou :4mario:

1st: K9sbruce :4sheik:
2nd: Javi :4cloud2:, :4sheik:
3rd: MrConCon :4luigi:
4th: Charliedaking :4fox:

1st: Shuton :4olimar:
2nd: MKLeo :4marth:, :4cloud2::4sheik:
3rd: Charliedaking :4fox:
4th: iStudying :4greninja:
5th: Elegant :4luigi:
5th: DSS :4metaknight:, :4gaw:
7th: Ac :4metaknight:
7th: Tweek :4bowserjr:

Last Weekend:

1st: ZeRo :4diddy:, :4lucina:
2nd: Tweek :4cloud2:, :4diddy:
3rd: MKLeo :4cloud2:,:4marth::4sheik:
4th: Salem :4bayonetta:
5th: WaDi :4mewtwo:, :4rob:
5th: Nairo :4zss:
7th: Mr. E :4lucina:, :4marth:
7th: 6WX :4sonic:
9th: Raffi-X :4rob:
9th: Biddy :4tlink:
9th: Chaos :4bowser:,:4cloud2::4lucina:
9th: Light :4fox:
13th: Koolaid :4sheik:
13th: Promaelia :4corrinf:
13th: UtopianRay :rosalina:
13th: Zoan :4mewtwo:

1st: Boozer :4bowser:
2nd: MM :4miibrawl:, :4olimar::4palutena:
3rd: Sriks :4shulk:
4th: Ignis :4robinf:, :4mario:
5th: Pazx :4diddy:
5th: Duon :4fox:, :4littlemac:
7th: Waveguider :4greninja:, :4wiifit:
7th: Luco :4lucas:, :4ness:

1st: Marshall :4diddy:
2nd: Crazycolorz5 :rosalina:
3rd: Colinies :4fox:
4th: Darkshad :4ryu:

1st: Ally :4mario:
2nd: Blacktwins :4cloud2:, :4mario:
3rd: Mistake :4bayonetta:, :4zss:
4th: SuperGirlKels :4sonic:
5th: Darkwolf :4shulk:
5th: Deathorse :4mewtwo:
7th: Fwed :4fox:
7th: Chrim Foish :4diddy:

1st: ESAM :4pikachu:
2nd: MVD :4diddy:
3rd: Marss :4zss:
4th: Pugwest :4marth:, :4lucina:

1st: Wusi :4fox:
2nd: quiK :4zss:, :4mario:
3rd: Schligger :4mewtwo:
4th: Purple H :4cloud2:

1st: Samsora :4peach:, :rosalina:
2nd: Captain Zack :4bayonetta:
3rd: BrawlerG31 :4littlemac:
4th: BSP :4mario:

1st: Peabnut :4megaman:
2nd: Black Yoshi :4bayonetta:
3rd: Mekos :4lucas:
4th: RFang :4mario:
5th: Dongquavious :4greninja:, :4zss:
5th: Gael :4falcon:
7th: Brownie :4megaman:, :4shulk:
7th: Zephyr :4cloud2:

1st: MKLeo :4cloud2:, :4metaknight:
2nd: VoiD :4sheik:
3rd: Zan :4tlink:, :4mewtwo:
4th: K9sbruce :4sheik:, :4diddy:

1st: ScAtt :4megaman:
2nd: Fatality :4falcon:
3rd: RoguePenguin :4mario:
4th: Saj :4bayonetta:
5th: Sonido :4sonic:
5th: Dog W/Hips :4lucario:
7th: ChillyChilli :4mario:, :4zss:
7th: Yuruloki :4cloud2:

1st: Glutonny :4wario:, :4sheik:
2nd: Elexiao :4greninja:, :4pacman:
3rd: Ogey :4falcon:
4th: Fire :4charizard:
Where's Civil War?

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339

9th: VoiD :4sheik: :4mewtwo:

I thought Mr. R used Cloud against Aarvark? Aarvark was talking about it on Twitter.

ARISTOS

Smash Ace

Without hitting footstool combos he really struggles to take off stocks, and in a meta where people are killing faster and faster MM will struggle unless new tech is found. I'd agree with others in saying that he's closer to the high end of mid tier.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Without hitting footstool combos he really struggles to take off stocks, and in a meta where people are killing faster and faster MM will struggle unless new tech is found. I'd agree with others in saying that he's closer to the high end of mid tier.

It's looking like many top players are taking notice of this trend after Civil War . Kameme is dropping MM

We have ZeRo trying out:4lucina: and Mr.R bringing out his :4bayonetta: again after quite a while post- Civil War. Both characters that can kill faster or clutch stocks out better than thier respective mains

It's also nteresting that Mr.R officially considers Bayo his secondary now

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend

Why?

IMO :4megaman: is high tier, about where :4lucario: and :4tlink: are. He might be short on rep atm but he's a solid character and better than mid tiers. He has good zoning, weight, movement and some versatile tools ie metal blade.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
My best guess would be that they both didn't show up to their losers matches, but I wasn't there so I have no idea.

In my own opinion, Mega Man competes with Toon Link for the title of worst high tier (Lucario's Mid tier to me). Excellent zoning and projectile based combo game but both hampered by some extremely crippling flaws (Mega's inability to reliably secure stocks early and Tink's complete and utter inability to get reward for beating shield up until about 120 combined with a bad grab) and lack of rep. Maybe once Hyuga comes back to the US Tink will bounce back because he has the ability to adapt, while Mega Man doesn't. I can only see Mega going down from here.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
It really does help that MM also has a pretty poor MU spread with most of the current top tiers.

At this point it looks like :4diddy: is the only one he really does well against. Well maybe :4marth:/:4lucina: too

Last edited:

Appledees

Smash Apprentice
Tink will bounce back because he has the ability to adapt, while Mega Man doesn't. I can only see Mega going down from here.
This statement really doesn't make any sense. What keeps Megaman from being unable to adapt? this applies that Megaman is some low tier character who has no tools and options for a player to even adapt and even then that logic doesn';t work. How does a character not have the ability to adapt? This is a player exclusive thing, the best players of characters always use their best tools to overcome their weaknesses no matter how major/minor they are. Why is Megaman exclusive in this case?

In my honest opinion I think Megaman is a lower end of the high tier or high mid(a place where I place Falcon,Lucario,Villiager). He has the tools to play at a higher level of play despite his weaknesses.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
For Mega Man's Matchup Spread:
:4bayonetta::-1 (Could potentially be even in the future but it isn't looking like it right now)
:4diddy::+1
:4sheik::-1
:4cloud::+1
:4sonic::+1
:rosalina::+1
:4fox::-1
:4zss::+1
:4mewtwo::-1 or 0
:4mario::-2

And with High Tier:
:4metaknight::+1
:4villager::+1 (Maybe +2? I've heard that it might also be +2)
:4tlink::-1 or 0
:4ryu::+2
:4greninja::+1
:4lucario::0
:4pikachu::-1
:132:: Unwinnable (Just like any other Ditto)

And for the people who consider :4corrin::4marth::4lucina: high tier, they are all +2.

So it's a total of +2 to +4 (+8 to +10 if you add all three of :4corrin::4marth::4lucina: as well) aganist the top and high tiers in total.

That is really good

So yea, I have no idea where Mega Man having a bad matchup spread came from. He has a really good matchup spread. Not to mention he does really good aganist the lower tiers too (Can't think of any he doesn't beat except maybe :4lucas: and :4olimar:, although I might be forgetting someone).

The main problems are that he is really hard and tiring to play, and that he has low representation.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
IDK how Mega Man is +1 against Lucario... mind elaborating on that?

Separately, I'm watching ZeRo's KTAR interview, and evidently not only did Mr. E say that he thinks Lucina might be better that Marth, but Leo said he might agree.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Saying Megaman goes positive vs ZSS, Rosalina and Sonic seems a bit ovey optimistic. Cant Rosalina cripple MM's neutral game woth gravitational pull?
Same with Lucario .Any character that struggles to end stocks as much as MM will at times is going to have a bad time vs him

Also seeing Salem and Zack send Kameme's MM to the scrap heap several occasions. I think it safe to say the MU is at best -1 for him and is not looking to get better anytime soon

Last edited:

Guido65

Smash Apprentice
Depends on what one considers to count as performing well at top level over a long period of time.

:4megaman::4tlink::4robinf::4link: have all arguably not done that yet.
Why is toon link being mentioned here when hyuga has placed 9th at g3,9th at pound,5th at CEO, and 4th place at 2GGT:Mexico Saga with solo toon link?

About mega man: he's okay but he's not exactly very good and his matchup spread is very questionable a lot like :4tlink:who is also still considered high tier. Unfortunately for him he requires a ton of investment for how unrewarding he is which is not unlike:4pikachu:and :4pit: which makes him a very mentally draining character.

Last edited:

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
:4bayonetta::-1 (Could potentially be even in the future but it isn't looking like it right now)

And with High Tier:
:4lucario::+1
:132:: Unwinnable (Just like any other Ditto)

And for the people who consider :4corrin::4marth::4lucina: high tier, they are all +2.

So it's a total of +3 to +5 (+9 to +11 if you add all three of :4corrin::4marth::4lucina: as well) aganist the top and high tiers in total.

That is really good

So yea, I have no idea where Mega Man having a bad matchup spread came from. He has a really good matchup spread. Not to mention he does really good aganist the lower tiers too (Can't think of any he doesn't beat except maybe :4lucas: and :4olimar:, although I might be forgetting someone).

The main problems are that he is really hard and tiring to play, and that he has low representation.
You're really typing those match up ratios like they're completely agreed upon. He's not exactly a common character who we have seen repeatedly.

Needless to say, I disagree with a few of those.

Heracr055

Smash Ace

And with High Tier:

Ryu's bottom of top in this current version of the tier list. Can we keep personal feelings of where a character belongs on the tier list out of ranking the MU's for the character you're arguing for? It'll confuse and mislead IMO

Edit: The MM MU is very tough for Ryu, though. Lemons make it difficult to even breach his zone

Last edited:

Galaxeon

Smash Cadet

And with High Tier:
:4lucario::+1
There's almost no even match-up in this chart. Probably half of them at least are way closer than that, otherwise MM would be top tier. This isn't limited to Mega Man, I think people tend to underestimate the volatility of the game. "+1" doesn't really mean much and match-up charts are, generally, still not really relevant for now, especially when a character lacks representation and results.

pichuplayer

Smash Journeyman
Reading that V3 followup, not too surprised to find out that Japan views Sonic as a Top 3 character. Might be why ZeRo has consistently been rating Sonic higher than the average since he's always had incredibly high opinions of Japan's players and their meta. I have to wonder what Civil War would look like if KEN was in attendance.

Mega Man is (or rather was) respected too much. Problem back then was that's exactly what he wants. He preys hard on matchup inexperience. Counterplay was developed way too quickly after Kameme's breakout moment at EVO and in a meta like Smash 4 he comes across as one of the characters that has an incredibly explicit ceiling. To be honest, if his BAir wasn't as good as it is, I'd kind of expect him to be a whole tier lower.
There's a V3 followup, where? I can never seem to find it

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
IDK how Mega Man is +1 against Lucario... mind elaborating on that?

Separately, I'm watching ZeRo's KTAR interview, and evidently not only did Mr. E say that he thinks Lucina might be better that Marth, but Leo said he might agree.
Actually now that I think of it, it's probably more like even, but pretty much Mega Man can keep Lucario out very well, and is good at edgeguarding him. His killing weakness is probably enough to make the matchup even, but it isn't bad enough to make Mega Man lose, espicially with the other two things I stated. How are the results looking like for this matchup?

Ryu's bottom of top in this current version of the tier list. Can we keep personal feelings of where a character belongs on the tier list out of ranking the MU's for the character you're arguing for? It'll confuse and mislead IMO
Almost no one puts Ryu in top tier, most people put him in high tier. There's no fully agreed upon tier list in the game, I can't just make it so that everyone agree with the tier I'm placing the character at.

Last edited:

verbatim

Smash Ace
Nairo has only ever taken games/sets off of KEN with ZSS. I'm pretty sure his Cloud is 0-4 against him in games.
He won a set with Cloud that may not have been recorded, he talks about it in one of his interviews after winning the Invitational.

Also

About mega man: he's okay but he's not exactly very good and his matchup spread is very questionable a lot like :4tlink:who is also still considered high tier. Unfortunately for him he requires a ton of investment for how unrewarding he is which is not unlike:4pikachu:and :4pit: which makes him a very mentally draining character.

Pit is not a hard character to play. He has good spacing tools, multiple jumps to mixup landings/recoveries, easy bread and butter combo's, a kill throw, a projectile, good disjoints, and top tier smash attacks. I would argue that he's the most convential character in the game, which isn't a very controversial claim imo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom