• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerBizNiz

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I'm just stoked for the mere fact we have 3 :4myfriends: players in top 48. As a person who plays Ike quite alot on the side, that warms my heart. I've had many people discussing about whether or not Ike should be considered a low tier instead of where he's at now. Hopefully this sheds some light that Ike still has some level of relevancy in the meta and he's not falling off anytime soon! San and Ryo have been inactive for such a long period of time from majors. Hopefully they showcase more of what Ike is capable of as well as other Ike players who are on the rise! :)

But yea, I'm sadden about :4robinm:not making it out of pools as well. There's definitely going to be talks about his position in the current meta. It's a shame cuz I actually like his concept as a character! :(

Last edited:

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Honestly, I'm just stoked for the mere fact we have 3 :4myfriends: players in top 48. As a person who plays Ike quite alot on the side, that warms my heart. I've had many people discussing about whether or not Ike should be considered a low tier instead of where he's at now. Hopefully this sheds some light that Ike still has some level of relevancy in the meta and he's not falling off anytime soon! San and Ryo have been inactive for such a long period of time from majors. Hopefully they showcase more of what Ike is capable of as well as other Ike players who are on the rise! :)

But yea, I'm sadden about :4robinm:not making it out of pools as well. There's definitely going to be talks about his position in the current meta. It's a shame cuz I actually like his concept as a character! :(
Tsk it's a damn shame San got team killed by Mr. E. I'm happy to see a Marth/Lucina main in winner's and that Mr. E will finally have a chance at making a deep run in a major, but still...unfortunate that the two OG Brawl vets had to fight to stay in Winners.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Ike's lower mid tier.
What makes Sonic players so patient and Falcon players so aggressive?
As mobile as CF is, Sonic's in a class of his own. CF being a tall character with huge attacks and dash grab lends its self more to a kill or be killed meta, which has been true of him since ssb64. Sonic's harder to hit and better at weaving around attacks, CF tends to rush in.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
1) Did Nojinko really lose to a Yoshi player? That's kind of the last matchup I'd expect Ike to get beat in.

2) I think the tendency for Smash 4 players to be "lazy," so to speak, is that stuff like tech skill has a less dramatic impact on winning and losing. Learning tech skill in Melee can give you like a 50% boost, while in Smash 4 it's more like 10% (these are made-up numbers). This is something i like about Smash 4, but I can see people going "90% is good enough" and resting on their laurels. Maybe until someone shows that some tech is the difference between winning a tournament and not, players will stay comfortable.

3) I feel like excessive camping has been proven in Smash 4 to only take you so far. Over the life of this game, players like @Dabuz have talked about how even defensive-style players need SOME aggression. Static Manny has even thrown in some aggression, either in his Sonic or especially in his Roy. A lot of the early camping in Smash 4 was also because people didn't understand the game as well. When approaching is still a magical mystery and you don't know what to expect, tournament players will tend to err on the side of caution.

If people are talking about defensive play AT ALL scaring viewers off, then it's just the same old song and dance. In those cases, people are more addicted to "hype" then they are seeing who wins.

soniczx123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
soniczx123
Switch FC
SW-2963-6512-0416
What makes Sonic players so patient and Falcon players so aggressive?
Falcon having a better dash, burst speed and dash grab along with better hitboxes overall with better ACs and horizontal range allows him to be more aggressive than Sonic. It's all by design too.

Egghead

Smash Apprentice
With all the fire emblem character representation hype Id rather see agressive, hype characters have better results because a major reason for underpresented characters to be cheered for is becasue they are underrepresented or they are a low tier(which kind of go hand in hand). I would much rather have an mkleo-esque cloud that can constantly place pressure, dash forward instead of a fe character such as robin who uses projectiles and his/her character to character interactions are minimal which makes it alll the less fun to watch. Although most fe characters are pretty engaging so this paragraph is about overly hyped low tier rep

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Love this post. Reason why I like watching older games.

So, Salem said fox is basically like sonic but "viable"? Since when has sonic ever been out of top tier, much less viable?
Salem thinks Sonic is bad. Has thought that for a while.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh that's good news! Am also strongly fond of Ike. But for many, he's just not worth the effort if you can have a pocket Cloud and basically be way more effective. I think Ike lost a lot because of Cloud. He's a faster Ike with a projectile more or less... What's extta sad is that Sakurai and the gang rebalanced Ike as a slow powerhouse and deliberately didn't give him a projectile because it'd be OP :rolleyes:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
I thibk that the fear of camping and losing viewers is why we got Duck Hunt banned.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Lord Dio Lord Dio
Brawl just has so many issues. Mainly it just does not reward intelligent play enough. Off stage you are rewarded for egdeguarding much more so then Smash 4, but that is it. Single strikes are more damaging for sure, but being able to interrupt hitstun with an airdodge is nuts. MK was so dominant not just because he was broken, but because he had solid consistent answers to all the defensive options and could still play a strong control game. Marth was another one with solid stats all around backed up by broken moves. Many characters were just left behind due to poor stats. Mid tier and below simply did NOT exists. IC's weren't even THAT good, but getting grabs was CAKE vs majority of the cast. Diddy was solid, but double nana controls was...well bananas.

Basically Brawl by design is defensive as all hell and the characters that could combat that or thrive on it were the top tiers.

Defensive play is not bad by nature. It's just one style of play. Brawl's issue was that it did not give you enough universal tools to deal with it and this really reflected in the tiers. Yes MK and IC's were a problem, but the game itself was just flawed.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
I don’t really know or care where Ike is on the tier list, but he is a solid character. Cosmos and San basically went how I thought it would, mostly because San is a more experienced tournament player than Cosmos, and unless you know how top Ike can mess up your day, you will probably get rolled.

Ike has a lot of deceptively safe aerials and knowing what is punishable is key.

Side note - this applies universally, of course. You should always know what your opponent’s character can do to you, even if they are low-tier.

Not knowing his 50/50 is gonna hurt. His Fair is about the same range as Clouds and easier to auto cancel (IMO). He has (slightly) better shield safety with his aerials than Marth and people forget that. Ike is all about conditioning, since he doesn’t have the buttons to overwhelm, but does have the autocancels. And if the player is experienced...

Basically, he may be low-mid tier or mid tier or whatever, but if your opponent is top tier, you better be up on both MUs.

You can’t play to win if you don’t study to win.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
and the same thing is happening with bayonetta, whenever she appears in a top 8 or whatever there's quite a lot of viewers that leave the stream.
These people who hate Bayo and camping/timeout strategies need to grow up and realize that people should be doing whatever is necessary to win. I actually find the potential timeout strategies implemented by Bayo players (Salem) and Japanese Sonics (Komo) to be very enjoyable to watch. Their opponents, when they sense this is happening while the Bayo/camper tacks on chip damage with relative safety, often forces panic on their part. Then you get to see them destroy themselves

Edit: I also enjoy watching Bayo in general play. It's nice to see what she's capable of

Last edited:

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
I thibk that the fear of camping and losing viewers is why we got Duck Hunt banned.
Losing viewers was a smaller part but the camping was the main issue, circle camping in particular was just too strong, many people just auto banned the stage. I don't even think Little Mac can double jump to the tree. That kind of camping isn't healthy for a meta's growth.

Camping is fine the opinions of a handful of twitch stream monsters whose "competitive" experience consists entirely of For Glory do not define the actual community as a. Now while I don't enjoying camping my self I understand when it's optimal and should be utilized however if your community as a whole doesn't find it enjoyable then you do have a problem that should be addressed, smash doesn't have the kind of financial incentive to where the majority of us who play would play it if we didn't enjoy it. As long as the camping isn't A. Creating a overpowered or overcenterlizing meta that has no counter play or B. Is totally killing the fun of the game to the majority who play it, then nothing is wrong with it.

Egghead

Smash Apprentice
Playing to win is fine, the top players can do whatever they want as long as it is within the rules and if the rules permit them to do so then so be it. But wasnt isnt benefical is not changing the rules. Now a large amonut of support that competitive play gets is the viewers and participants, by making the experiece boring with camping and whatnot will decrease viewership attendance etc because noone will pay just to get lamed out in bracket and play friendlies. And when people say the enjoy watching the micro interactions when characters such as bayo or sonic camp, when other characters play such as falcon vs fox(obviously this is extreme but you get the point) there are many other interactions. Now I think that most poeple find having more interactions more enoyable and whatnot instead of getting chip damage.

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
Welp since I'm stuck on a bus for 3 hours here's your :4corrin:pin breakdown for FE saga. note that I'll be mainly going over grounded pin since it's what many people struggle with it.

So pin is main burst option that slightly negates Corrin's lackluster mobility and movement as well as being a amazing punish and damage racking tool not to mention it's KO power at higher percents, but there are more flaws to the move than you think there is which I'll bring up in multiple points:

It is very unsafe on shield: -13 to be exact when pin hits your shield and this is before Corrin can even do an action out of it (front kick, back kick ect.) Which means anything under 13 frames OoS can punish the instapin before Corrin can even do this, but the catch is that you have to be ready for the pin in advance or even better: bait the pin and punish. Characters like :4bayonetta::4fox::4metaknight::4ryu: ect. Have the speed to punish and even KILL corrin OoS if you bait pin out (Limit :4cloud2:could LCS through it free and it's a easy stock) (Also note that Corrin's hand the black part of pin becomes a extra hurtbox for corrin)

Pin is a hard commitment: It is not a poke or something you can just throw out. On whiff or on shield (provided the opponent doesn't punish it Oos with the stuff I said earlier) Corrin is left in a extremely limited position with three options, two (jump front kick) which are easily punishable and one that gives up stage control and isn't even safe in some mus (:4fox::4sonic::4falcon: ect. are very notible examples of characters that will always punish a back kick) which means when Corrin is at high percents Pin becomes more risky of an option to use unless you're punishing your opponent which is the main use of pin, because you give your opponent free stage control and put yourself in a worse position than before (:4fox: can just upsmash you for free tbh)

Staling, priority and mispinning: Not sure if anyone knows this but if you hit the intital pin + the kick the move stales twice, so if you successfully use pin twice you've staled it four times (which is the main reason you see some characters not die to pin when you think they should). Pin also has item priority like DFS which means any hitboxes can beat the move so technically you could throw out a constant hitbox and beat pin (not sure if you should actually aim for that, baiting it to whiff or punish is better Imo). Lastly there is mispinning were if you pin too close to them you can't hit them with the kick hitboxes and they basically escape for free and Corrin basically gives up stage control for no good reason

That's pretty much it. Ask me questions or if there's something you want to point out and argue I'll listen and try my best to answer ;)
Nah Nah I actually did it after 3+ months lol
Also mobile sucks:c

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Duck Hunt was banned for easy circle camping, as well as the tree being an incredibly strong position for whoever got there first. Around a third of the cast needed to automatically ban it to not get camped out for six minutes with little to no way to stop it.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
Jupiter League XXI (15/10/2017, 46 Entrants) - Italy

1st: G-danzee :4sheik:
2nd: Meercko :4lucina:(:4tlink::4marth::4mario:)
3rd: TylerDX :4lucas::4dk:
4th: Sim-Max :4rob:
5th: Genarog :4lucas::4drmario:
5th: Oro :4zss:(:4mario:)
7th: Twelve :4fox:
7th: Tsurugi :4cloud2:

I know @Das Koopa sometimes uses results from tournaments from smaller regions so I decided to post this as it was incredibly stacked with PR'd players. Characters in brackets could have been used or not to win a game.

Last edited:

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
And Shuton breaks Ryuga's streak with a reverse 3-0 by....counterpicking with Shulk?

Watching this set, this is actually a matchup where Corrin's poor mobility really hurts

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
Welp since I'm stuck on a bus for 3 hours here's your :4corrin:pin breakdown for FE saga. note that I'll be mainly going over grounded pin since it's what many people struggle with it.

So pin is main burst option that slightly negates Corrin's lackluster mobility and movement as well as being a amazing punish and damage racking tool not to mention it's KO power at higher percents, but there are more flaws to the move than you think there is which I'll bring up in multiple points:

It is very unsafe on shield: -13 to be exact when pin hits your shield and this is before Corrin can even do an action out of it (front kick, back kick ect.) Which means anything under 13 frames OoS can punish the instapin before Corrin can even do this, but the catch is that you have to be ready for the pin in advance or even better: bait the pin and punish. Characters like :4bayonetta::4fox::4metaknight::4ryu: ect. Have the speed to punish and even KILL corrin OoS if you bait pin out (Limit :4cloud2:could LCS through it free and it's a easy stock) (Also note that Corrin's hand the black part of pin becomes a extra hurtbox for corrin)

Pin is a hard commitment: It is not a poke or something you can just throw out. On whiff or on shield (provided the opponent doesn't punish it Oos with the stuff I said earlier) Corrin is left in a extremely limited position with three options, two (jump front kick) which are easily punishable and one that gives up stage control and isn't even safe in some mus (:4fox::4sonic::4falcon: ect. are very notible examples of characters that will always punish a back kick) which means when Corrin is at high percents Pin becomes more risky of an option to use unless you're punishing your opponent which is the main use of pin, because you give your opponent free stage control and put yourself in a worse position than before (:4fox: can just upsmash you for free tbh)

Staling, priority and mispinning: Not sure if anyone knows this but if you hit the intital pin + the kick the move stales twice, so if you successfully use pin twice you've staled it four times (which is the main reason you see some characters not die to pin when you think they should). Pin also has item priority like DFS which means any hitboxes can beat the move so technically you could throw out a constant hitbox and beat pin (not sure if you should actually aim for that, baiting it to whiff or punish is better Imo). Lastly there is mispinning were if you pin too close to them you can't hit them with the kick hitboxes and they basically escape for free and Corrin basically gives up stage control for no good reason

That's pretty much it. Ask me questions or if there's something you want to point out and argue I'll listen and try my best to answer ;)
Nah Nah I actually did it after 3+ months lol
Also mobile sucks:c
You are a brave soul for typing all this out on your phone while on a bus, and I appreciate that you did this

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
1) Did Nojinko really lose to a Yoshi player? That's kind of the last matchup I'd expect Ike to get beat in.

2) I think the tendency for Smash 4 players to be "lazy," so to speak, is that stuff like tech skill has a less dramatic impact on winning and losing. Learning tech skill in Melee can give you like a 50% boost, while in Smash 4 it's more like 10% (these are made-up numbers). This is something i like about Smash 4, but I can see people going "90% is good enough" and resting on their laurels. Maybe until someone shows that some tech is the difference between winning a tournament and not, players will stay comfortable.

3) I feel like excessive camping has been proven in Smash 4 to only take you so far. Over the life of this game, players like @Dabuz have talked about how even defensive-style players need SOME aggression. Static Manny has even thrown in some aggression, either in his Sonic or especially in his Roy. A lot of the early camping in Smash 4 was also because people didn't understand the game as well. When approaching is still a magical mystery and you don't know what to expect, tournament players will tend to err on the side of caution.
Tech skill can give one an advantage in a ditto. Pivot f-tilt is important in most swordie dittoes, and I wouldn't sneeze at the slide-y techs bidou & stepdash in a Link ditto, even though I'd never use the former normally.

But yeah, if your fundamentals aren't solid, all the super SDI tech in the world won't save you, in Smash4.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
FE Saga Top 8 Winners side:

Komorikiri vs Manny
Nairo vs Salem

Losers Top 8 Qualifiers, in order

Tweek vs Kirihara
Ac vs Samsora (rip)

MKLeo vs VoiD
Shuton vs WaDi

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Yo can some one link here or give me that matchup chart image that notably has M2 as 7th best MU spread and also has him lose in a -0.5 to sheik idk why? I need it to study off of.

Illusion.

Master of Stealth
NNID
Illusion97
3DS FC
1822-0471-8951
Switch FC
SW-5043-8035-6923
Salty Juan’s 4 (68 entrants: New Mexico)

1st. BANG! :4diddy:
2nd. SKUM | Fahrenheit :4bowser:
3rd. UpChuckle :4greninja: :4charizard:
4th. Diago :4marth:
5th. King :4metaknight:
5th. Pink Menace :4samus:
7th. Monochroma :4link:
7th. _SEBA_ :4sheik: :4cloud2:

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Welp I think its time for Nairo to retire the Diddy counterpick, because his ZSS was performing waaay better versus Salem this time around. I think he dropped a total of 3 games from using Diddy, didn't win a single one.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
2GGC: Fire Emblem Saga (351 Entrants) (SoCal)

1st: Salem :4bayonetta2:
2nd: Nairo :4zss: :4cloud2:
3rd: Komorikiri :4cloud2: :4corrinf: :4feroy:
4th: Tweek :4cloud2: :4bayonetta2: :4dk:
5th: VoiD :4sheik:
5th: Static Manny :4sonic:
7th: Shuton :4olimar: :4shulk:
7th: Samsora :4peach:
9th: Kirihara :rosalina:
9th: Ac :4metaknight:
9th: MKLeo :4cloud2: :4marth:
9th: WaDi :4mewtwo:
13th: Tyrant :4metaknight:
13th: Falln :rosalina:
13th: Mr. E :4lucina: :4marth:
13th: Mistake :4bayonetta2:
17th: KEN :4sonic:
17th: Ryuga :4corrinf:
17th: NAKAT :4ness: :4fox:
17th: Captain Zack :4bayonetta2:
17th: Eon :4fox:
17th: Razo :4peach:
17th: Mystearica :4bayonetta2:
17th: Cosmos :4corrinf:
25th: Vinnie :4sheik: :rosalina:
25th: Zenyou :4mario:
25th: Ryo :4myfriends:
25th: Locus :4ryu:
25th: Elegant :4luigi:
25th: Larry Lurr :4fox:
25th: YOC :4corrinf:
25th: Abadango :4mewtwo: :4bayonetta2:

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
First time in ages Komo's made top 3 at a big event, and it can also be considered Roy's best showing (even if he didn't appear much).
Let's ****ing gooooooo komo

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Welp I think its time for Nairo to retire the Diddy counterpick, because his ZSS was performing waaay better versus Salem this time around. I think he dropped a total of 3 games from using Diddy, didn't win a single one.
Well a possible lesson from the Salem vs Nairo sets and MKLeo vs Void set canshow. Sometimes you should just have faith in your main despite even in times when you not feeling confidient with them vs a certian MU or player..

all those almost reverse 3-0 sets after Nairo's and Leos counterpick characters failed them could of possibly ended diffrently if Nairo and MKLeo went with thier mains from the very beginning

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
If I recall.....isn't this also the best showing Shulk has had thanks to shuton?
also pretty upset heavy tournament with really varied characters too.....the curse may live still but this was a good tournament.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
If I recall.....isn't this also the best showing Shulk has had thanks to shuton?
also pretty upset heavy tournament with really varied characters too.....the curse may live still but this was a good tournament.
Nah, Civil war was much better. Kome beat Ryo and Tweek, while Nicko beat Anti and Gluttony.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Mfw the only game Komo takes off of Nairo in Loser’s Finals is with Roy.

Mfw this is Roy’s highest placing.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Here's some food for thought: Top Peaches are up on sets over top MKs in the later half of this year so far, with Mute Ace beating Ac and Leo at EVO and Samsora beating Aba and Ac as well.

Last edited:

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
So apparently in this tournament, Salem utilized what he calls an "unstable playstyle" specifically to deal with Nairo's Diddy counterpick. One thing I observed was that Salem played uncharacteristically aggressive, immediately dashing towards Nairo from the beginning of each match. Even though Nairo lost every match playing as Diddy, all the games in Winner's Finals were close, but it seemed to work out for Salem in the end.

There was a lot of adaptation in this tournament overall. Players that often lost to certain players in the past (Shuton 0-2 in sets vs Ryuga, Komo always losing the Cloud ditto to Leo, etc) found a way to break their losing streaks.

Also, what do Corrin mains think of the Shulk matchup?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom