• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List V3 - Competitive Insight & Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

NairWizard

Somewhere
I'm sorry, help me understand how Greninja is any better at walking or running or jumping out of situations than any other character. You don't need high walk speed and definitely not high run speed to get out of range of someone's f-air. You only need high walk accel, or burst options like a good dash to shield (to be fair Gren has a good perfect pivot and options out of it, I'll give you this).

Drift speed has useful applications in avoiding hitboxes in disadvantage.

But in neutral?

I don't see these defensive applications that you're talking about.

If Greninja had access to a good OOS game you can guarantee he'd be shielding a lot more instead of what he currently does because it's a better gameplan and makes better use of his mobility. Dealing less than 5% with a pivot Shuriken is a lot less impressive as a whiff punish than grabbing someone OOS and doing 30% with a grab combo.

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
NairWizard NairWizard

I'll address this generally: Mostly, I was pointing out Greninja's air speed as a comparison to Mario as a fun fact. The rest of my post isn't addressing what the Frog can do with it offensively. I'm pointing out how he mitigates his OOC weakness.

Secondly, you're right, mobility is only as important as what you can get out of it. Greninja ironically should play like another of his Pokémon brethren: Charizard. And by that, I mean he has limited tools to force open an opponent. Against the more important characters (like Bayo), he can play defensive and force approaches well until an opportunity presents itself (obviously Charizard has to wait for openings to a more extreme degree).

As for Mario, he does have great options due to his mobility in CQC situations. But - hot take warning - the reason Mario is going to struggle onwards in the meta is he doesn't have the speed to actually get in against a Sonic or Bayo playing campy. So far, he has taken advantage of the jump-in, shield-for-no-reason, grab-is-the-only-punish meta.

He is going to suffer from the same issues Luigi and Kirby do. Greninja, for all his slow frame data, doesn't have that problem. He does need to play defensively though, which is why he doesn't beat the top tiers. But he has a fine ground game, and that is enough to help in the matches that call for anti-airs (Cloud, Bayo, etc).

As for what his mobility can do in neutral? I'm sure you've seen this, but for everyone else:

I suck at twitter.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Greninja could be either even or have a small advantage over Mario, depends on who you talk to. He definitely doesn't lose though.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
As for Mario, he does have great options due to his mobility in CQC situations. But - hot take warning - the reason Mario is going to struggle onwards in the meta is he doesn't have the speed to actually get in against a Sonic or Bayo playing campy. So far, he has taken advantage of the jump-in, shield-for-no-reason, grab-is-the-only-punish meta.
This isn't just directed at you, but for anyone willing to answer.

Could anyone elaborate on the habits of the current metagame and how those habits may evolve in the future?

I've seen talk like yours thrown around a little bit, but no thoroughly explained definitions or descriptions have been offered, unless I've missed them somewhere.

Last edited:

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
Referring back to my post on DK and Bowser and why they're getting so much success nowadays, I predict that this same fate will happen to them as it would to Mario if your theory was to come true.

SSB ReVerb

Smash Rookie
NNID
2LegitToQuit
Seeing as Greninja is the hot topic in this thread rn and before we move on, if i'm being honest about Greninja's MU spread, while I am optimistic about how he can handle certain top tiers, I think there is a perfectly fine argument for Greninja beating ZSS slightly as well tbh.

Take a look at why Pikachu beats ZSS; mainly because he's so short, hard to hit, & really fast among other things, right? Greninja himself is short af too & even faster outside of Pikachu's burst mobility with Quick Attack. Everytime ZSS jumps he can literally just run under her and mess her up. ZSS has one of the highest short hops & Greninja has one of the shortest stances and especially more so when running so its quite annoying for her both in regards to playing around him & trying to actually hit him. Greninja's UpTilt will anti-air & beat out her trying to land on top of him with aerials. Not to mention she has no rising aerials to hit him w/ either while he stays grounded, her having to adjust and hit bair lower just makes it easier for him to avoid it or powershield for example. SH shurikens can hit at an angle that annoys her and can stuff her trying to do things, as long as you are careful about it and don't overcharge so she flip jumps you for it.

ZSS can't get a lot of consistent things while Greninja can just play his normal game the whole time. Greninja can also SSHC out of Uair at early %s, boost kick, sour d-smash, f-smash, fair1, tether trump, etc forcing her to either change up her options or risk getting punished for doing her normal gameplan.

And when ZSS tries to stop jumping so much and tries to play grounded, Greninja ground game can still deal with it, most ZSS has is f-tilt as a poke and it's not even completely safe. Greninja got a faster walk, long range ftilt, shurikens, crawl/crouch, hydropump, can duck her jab 1 iirc etc. And in general, pivot grabbing his approaches or just grabbing in general can be quite difficult and sometimes risky because Greninja got the speed to weave around and avoid it; and any whiffed grab can mean a lot of damage towards ZSS.

Just the fact that a lot of ZSS things are inconsistent and Greninja's small stature and speed along w/ shurikens making it naturally more difficult put the MU just a little over the edge towards Greninja in my opinion. Luhtie who fights Stroder a lot has been thinking the same thing judging from his recent MU chart and then Stroder himself went on to 2-0 Nairo recently at West Side Saga too. Even before that ik both Stroder & Venia have agreed upon the MU being in Greninja's favor among other notable Greninja. Looking at the tools Greninja has and also seeing it in practice, I think I can believe it.

Last edited:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
ZSS can't get a lot of consistent things while Greninja can just play his normal game the whole time. Greninja can also SSHC out of Uair at early %s, boost kick, sour d-smash, f-smash, fair1, tether trump, etc forcing her to either change up her options or risk getting punished for doing her normal gameplan
Last I checked, tether trumps are true confirms if you are fast enough to connect your next move since you can act faster than a regular trump.
So I'm wondering how could Greninja Shadow Sneak Hit-stun cancel that. Would you happen to have a video example of it? If you cannot find one it is fine, hopefully someone can test it out soon.

EDIT: I do not agree with the statement of X character has short height,neutral pose, or crouch so the matchup is immediately harder for X character with X aerial move.

To me that sounds like spacing a move to hit right above the ground takes too much effort.
(This is an example)
I have practiced using short hop Pk Fire as Lucas to ride above the ground to hit Pikachu and crouching characters; I have done the same for Shulk's back air too in the past.

What I'm trying to say is that proper move spacing/effort is not taken into account as if your average competitive Smash player will never do such a thing. So I think that many players give free advantages/points to characters that have the stuff I mentioned above.

--

Dabuz just posted this.

EDIT 2: (Near the end of the video, Dabuz, switches the places of Ganon, Kirby, and Jigglypuff. Sorry RK, it's not going to help your arguement).

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Last I checked, tether trumps are true confirms if you are fast enough to connect your next move since you can act faster than a regular trump.
So I'm wondering how could Greninja Shadow Sneak Hit-stun cancel that. Would you happen to have a video example of it? If you cannot find one it is fine, hopefully someone can test it out soon.

EDIT: I do not agree with the statement of X character has short height,neutral pose, or crouch so the matchup is immediately harder for X character with X aerial move.

To me that sounds like spacing a move to hit right above the ground takes too much effort.
(This is an example)
I have practiced using short hop Pk Fire as Lucas to ride above the ground to hit Pikachu and crouching characters; I have done the same for Shulk's back air too in the past.

What I'm trying to say is that proper move spacing/effort is not taken into account as if your average competitive Smash player will never do such a thing. So I think that many players give free advantages/points to characters that have the stuff I mentioned above.

--

Dabuz just posted this.

EDIT 2: (Near the end of the video, Dabuz, switches the places of Ganon, Kirby, and Jigglypuff. Sorry RK, it's not going to help your arguement).
Dabuz and I have talked about this before...

Thing is, his argument is exactly what I expected. Kirby is good if you have to fight him, bad if you don't. But if you assume you're never going to have to approach any character, you'll have a bad time. Blah blah "percent lead" blah blah "positional advantage, etc."

He's also wrong about his ground speed being awful... 0.062 difference between Kirby and Rosa runspeed. And the same initial dash speed. And Kirby's dash to shield is faster. But, I guess Rosa doesn't have to move as much.

And not every character evades Kirby as easily (most don't). But IDK - I also told him that people can rank Kirby wherever, since as long as he doesn't have the results, people can think what they will.

So, I'll leave my argument at that. Words don't really convince people, but I just *had* to respond to that lmao

Bigbomb2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bigbomb2
Heh, he glossed over Yoshi through Shulk in like 3 seconds. That doesn't explain anything to me at all. O well

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
At 11:58 in the video, Dabuz says this in regards to Greninja, but I think it can apply to every character a player thinks is garbage.

Note: I do not agree with this.

"Um, Greninja is here, just cuz' (could not make out what he said) the results, you know the theory is there; and this character has what I call like the... the theory vs results effect.
Where this actually makes a character worse; when they always talk about this character's theory and his potential but his results aren't there.
And you could say uh, top players picked him up, you know they're not good enough (gibberish), their potential has been showcased.
My counterargument is this: if they have so much potential, why are the results not there, why isn't anyone proving it? Because he's difficult to play? I don't think that is an excuse 4 years into the game. Period.
You know, I think if he was as good as people make him out to be, someone, some dedicated player would have figured out a way to showcase this a couple of times. But no-one has.
So that actually makes me think that he's worse than people want make him out to be; because it was all this stuff (gibberish) and talk about him and have so many people labbing him and trying to showcase it and that never works. Because the closest thing we saw to a good Greninja, like at top level, is Salem, who almost took a set vs... was it Captain Zack or Mistake? One of those two... yeah."

I would really love it if you guys had a discussion on this.

Edit: Comments like this is what fuels me to do better as my character.

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
I guess Dabuz doesn't remember that Lea beat VoiD, or that Some's beaten KEN.
To be honest, that's kind of common as far as arguments go.....and since we've been talking about him a lot lately.......Kirby. How can he be where he is on the tier list if he never gets results?
Imo, that's where you compromise. Move that character down a few spots, one or two, usually no more than three-four. Because tier lists are not, I repeat, are NOT, results based. Imo a tier list where results have more than 25% of the influence on a character's spot is a garbage tier list.
The character isn't lower, why? Because they have something in their kit, or a winning matchup against a top tier, I don't know. They have SOMETHING which puts them above the others. So yeah they could drop one or two spots, but remember they have an edge the people below them do not.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Due to responses in his tier list video, Dabuz updated it again.

Galaxeon

Smash Cadet
Seeing as Greninja is the hot topic in this thread rn and before we move on, if i'm being honest about Greninja's MU spread, while I am optimistic about how he can handle certain top tiers, I think there is a perfectly fine argument for Greninja beating ZSS slightly as well tbh.

Take a look at why Pikachu beats ZSS; mainly because he's so short, hard to hit, & really fast among other things, right? Greninja himself is short af too & even faster outside of Pikachu's burst mobility with Quick Attack. Everytime ZSS jumps he can literally just run under her and mess her up. ZSS has one of the highest short hops & Greninja has one of the shortest stances and especially more so when running so its quite annoying for her both in regards to playing around him & trying to actually hit him. Greninja's UpTilt will anti-air & beat out her trying to land on top of him with aerials. Not to mention she has no rising aerials to hit him w/ either while he stays grounded, her having to adjust and hit bair lower just makes it easier for him to avoid it or powershield for example. SH shurikens can hit at an angle that annoys her and can stuff her trying to do things, as long as you are careful about it and don't overcharge so she flip jumps you for it.
I've co-mained Greninja and ZSS for a pretty long while and saw each side states they slightly win, or slighlty lose, or that it's "weird" over the time. To me, the match-up is simply even.
I can understand why the case can be made for having a slight edge over the other, for Greninja especially, since "not being annoyed or even shut down by a top tier like he probably is with Sheik/Sonic/Fox/Cloud/Bayo" can give a false sense of having an advantage (even a slight one), but if I was to give the edge to one character, it wouldn't even be Greninja, mainly because of the current stage list.
ZSS has no threatening rising aerials... at low percents. Rising uair, whether short hop or full hop, is incredibly scary and is getting more and more used by ZSS mains as an alternative start to a ladder or stepladder combo. I believe rising fair, while also being a commitment and a less rewarding option than most of her kit, is also underrated, but anyway.
About not having rising aerials... the same can be said about Greninja, apart from, in some cases, bair. Everything else has no use or a big start-up time. And the thing is : that's what makes Pikachu so good at stopping ZSS short hop-based neutral game, it's litteraly the key to him "countering" her neutral. Fair, Nair, Dair and even his Bair (though it's got landing lag) are quick and have lingering hitboxes. This isn't the case with Greninja, at all (except for, again, bair... kind of, mostly it's good for safe pressure from behind on shield, which Stroder did well against Nairo).
Still comparing to Pikachu: he's short, yes (Greninja isn't as shorter), but most importantly, Pika's hitboxes shift greatly while doing stuff like fair or dair, even on landing. Same issue as Diddy's lingering, big and extremly frustrating rising fair, that still reduces his hurtbox on landing. Again, Greninja is just a lesser version of all of that.

And you can see that in the match of Stroder VS Nairo. What hit ZSS the most in the neutral? Well-spaced Fair and shuriken pokes. Because it's actually Greninja's two best tools in neutral against pretty much everyone, really ZSS is no different, and because Stroder played the neutral well, using Greninja's mobility, which is perhaps the best and also only characteristic that Greninja has that significantly challenges one of ZSS strong point, giving him an advantage (I'd rather say "an easier time") compared to other characters over ZSS. But gimmicks and general attributes can be used to shape a match-up only up to a point. They probably make the Greninja/ZSS MU "fair and balanced" (known as even) when otherwise it would be just another match-up where a top tier is just too much to handle. But beyond that, there are major differences in what actually happens in a match, significant parts of gameplay like frame data, combos, escape options, OOS options, interaction with platforms, or even interaction with rage and comeback mechanics.

ZSS can't get a lot of consistent things while Greninja can just play his normal game the whole time. Greninja can also SSHC out of Uair at early %s, boost kick, sour d-smash, f-smash, fair1, tether trump, etc forcing her to either change up her options or risk getting punished for doing her normal gameplan.
SSHC is mostly a gimmick though. No good ZSS is going to uair at low percents where it isn't even safe on hit yet. SSHC out of boost kick is inconsistent and can mess up Greninja's DI if done wrong, which can lead to even earlier kills (Stroder didn't manage it against Nairo - maybe he didn't even wanted to risk it? - and yet I'm sure he's aware this is a thing). Fsmash is almost never used, except after a successful dsmash. Rather than fsmash because it's easier, the ZSS player just has to Flip Jump Kick instead (most of the time it kills earlier anyway...), which Nairo didn't. Fair is not reactable, bair is just as good at low percents. I didn't know about the trump to bair (are you sure about that?) and it could be more useful indeed, though ZSS doesn't lack other ways to pressure at the ledge anyway.
My point is: match-up knowledge should prevent most opportunities for the frog to SSHC. Just having a lot of multi-hit moves doesn't make Greninja better in the MU. It isn't worth the risk of getting punished harder - it can be very easily baited since Greninja has to buffer and spam the B button, basically doing an airdodge read but which will lead to an even deadlier punish.

To me this match-up is a good case for us Greninja mains of just missing the big picture. I don't recall who that is, and I'm probably twisting their words, but I think someone said that when Greninja mains stop being kind of obsessed, or at least giving too much attention to "uair drag-down to 60% footstool stylish but unrealistic combo" (so, mostly gimmick stuff), and focus on actual character traits, like movement and options, Greninja will be more threatening.

... and with that being said I still disagree a lot with what Dabuz said about Greninja, lol. Sure the "potential" thing is a bit overdone and this is a character where most people were probably a bit too optimistic about at some point, but results-wise, he made more waves than one coud think (pun intended) and we have facts to support that.
Actually, the first part of his tier list was pretty well constructed, but the whole row where Greninja was in, felt like a random "tier before the low tiers" of some sort, where Dabuz puts basically every zoner in the game next to each other... just because why not? He probably kind of rushed it and focused more on the upper half of the cast - who can blame him though, it's where he probably has the most experience and he's one of the most knowledgeable with match-ups, I think. I also liked that he made the point of how characters should be ranked based on their relations with top tiers (whether or not you agree with stuff like putting Bayo and Cloud in their own tier) while keeping in mind how common or uncommon bad match-ups can be, which is important for brackets.

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
This isn't just directed at you, but for anyone willing to answer.

Could anyone elaborate on the habits of the current metagame and how those habits may evolve in the future?

I've seen talk like yours thrown around a little bit, but no thoroughly explained definitions or descriptions have been offered, unless I've missed them somewhere.
Referring back to my post on DK and Bowser and why they're getting so much success nowadays, I predict that this same fate will happen to them as it would to Mario if your theory was to come true.
I'll tie these together:

Go back and watch any top level match because the habits I'm talking about are in almost every single one.

One of the main habits you'll see is unnecessary shielding, especially when an opponent is so far away they can't actually do anything, like offstage or in the air. But if they are shielding and nothing can happen because of the opponents distance, why is this bad?

Well, because habits are habits regardless of context. Reflexive, autopilot shielding where top players end up shielding instead of actually anticipating and reacting to a situation. Shield is powerful in Smash, but it's overuse in the meta rather than relying on better options, leads to things like grapplers being better than they are. Reflexive shielding can also demonstrate a lack of character knowledge (e.g. "I don't actually know, in depth, what my opponent can do at X range, so I'll shield).

Jump-ins are another common habit, as Smash4 has an abundance of characters whose strongest and safest options are aerials. It also lacks universal ground movement options (like wavedashing) that can assist in approaching.

This has a few problems:
Ground anything is almost always less of a commitment than air-anything, and effective spacing is more precise on the ground. You both commit and give up precision when you jump-in to attack. And in Smash 4, top players aren't at the place where they perfectly space aerials consistently, for a variety of reasons. So, characters that can punish that, like Bowser and DK, do better than they should - because of dat grab.

Which leads to another common habit: grab as the default punish. You will see top players go for grabs as the default punish even when it is not the most optimal punish. Why? It's complicated but, it's in part because combos out of grab are ubiquitous, and they think they can get big damage, even when they are say, Bayo or Mewtwo. It's an autopilot reaction.

It also leads to players living a lot longer than they should and skews the perception of both survivability and kill power (looking at you, Sheik players who grab rather than U-smash when they should).

Finally, what's the biggest tendency that has the most wide reaching consequence tho? An unwillingness to hold a lead, also known as an unwillingness to camp.

Why is Salem, who plays Bayo (who can really only effectively camp a handful of characters) the most willing to camp with a lead? Because he knows he is playing a "lame" character and is willing to play "lame" to win.

But versus some characters, the way to beat them is to camp them out, especially if you have the ability to. I'm beating a dead horse, but characters like Mario are vulnerable to camping because they just aren't fast enough to catch up.

So what is the future? It depends, but I'll save my predictions for when I haven't just written an essay.

Dabuz and I have talked about this before...

Thing is, his argument is exactly what I expected. Kirby is good if you have to fight him, bad if you don't. But if you assume you're never going to have to approach any character, you'll have a bad time. Blah blah "percent lead" blah blah "positional advantage, etc."
This is a sentiment I see from top players all the time when discussing MUs, but rarely see them actually put into practice. If they all willingly camped, then yeah, characters like Kirby would be in trouble. But no one wants to play "lame," soooo....

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Was about to say it was an improvement, but G&W is apparently 2nd worst...
It's a meme video, where he just passive-aggressively talks about his "new" tier list (which is split into top tier, competing for 9th best, everyone else, and competing for 45th best).

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
A thing to remember about camping out is not all characters can do it as well as other and stages are finite. Like Shiek for example sure she can camp you out well she has a harassing projectile and good, fast aerials and tilts that have low lag she can throw out to swat you away along with high speed if she needs to reposition or run off but eventually if she commits to camping she will lose stage control and options and be less likely to make the right move and get punished for it and we've seen that Pending on the strength of your advantage that this only needs to go your way a few times to take the game. The real question is how well will the camping player keep things from getting predictable (or how well can their character mix things up), just camping will get you figured out eventually

Last edited:

Finh009

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Finh009
Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
A thing to remember about camping out is not all characters can do it as well as other and stages are finite. Like Shiek for example sure she can camp you out well she has a harassing projectile and good, fast aerials and tilts that have low lag she can throw out to swat you away along with high speed if she needs to reposition or run off but eventually if she commits to camping she will lose stage control and options and be less likely to make the right move and get punished for it and we've seen that Pending on the strength of your advantage that this only needs to go your way a few times to take the game. The real question is how well will the camping player keep things from getting predictable (or how well can their character mix things up), just camping will get you figured out eventually
While this is true, I'm mostly trying to make the point that often when camping is the viable strategy, it's simply not done, or only partially committed to. Really, to go more in depth, I'm using camping as a term to refer to forcing an approach when you have a percent lead. This is always going to be MU dependent for effectiveness. And it's a skill that absolutely needs to be practiced, look no further than Hungrybox for the marriage of concept and practice.

But really, slower characters without good projectiles are absolutely vulnerable to it. My point is that not enough players actually commit to forcing the approach when they should- even when they pay the concept lip service. Characters like DK, Ryu, Bayo, Mario, and Luigi are some of the characters that benefit greatly from impatience as all of them are vulnerable to some degree of camping.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
I guess Dabuz doesn't remember that Lea beat VoiD, or that Some's beaten KEN.
To be honest, that's kind of common as far as arguments go.....and since we've been talking about him a lot lately.......Kirby. How can he be where he is on the tier list if he never gets results?
Imo, that's where you compromise. Move that character down a few spots, one or two, usually no more than three-four. Because tier lists are not, I repeat, are NOT, results based. Imo a tier list where results have more than 25% of the influence on a character's spot is a garbage tier list.
The character isn't lower, why? Because they have something in their kit, or a winning matchup against a top tier, I don't know. They have SOMETHING which puts them above the others. So yeah they could drop one or two spots, but remember they have an edge the people below them do not.
I know the number 25% serves a heuristic purpose in your post, but really 25%? You must have a lot more faith in human reasoning than I do. If you start discounting results you run the risk of unconsciously pressupposing an idealized meta wherein players do all in their power to win, where you erringly discount the inherently fallible nature of humans, you go all ought and forget about what is. And even if that ought might be and your theory simply predates what is to come following further developments in the meta it still wouldn't be accurate, and that's in a best case scenario uncommonly realized. To me a tier list is supposed to reflect the current meta, not one which may or may not come to be. A tier list should be an attempt at accurately portraying what is going on in the meta currently, a useful frame of reference guaranteed to be largely accurate. You seem to want it to be something more.

Moreover, the fact that you think Kirby would benefit positionally if more people shared your priorities kinda make me doubt your reasons. We all have our biases, and its really easy to think that they might be actualized if reason where the ruler rather than results. But I don't really think a slow grappler lacking range and struggling to approach would stand to gain much from more theory. Quite the opposite in fact. And you've failed to realize this, thus in a way, demonstrating you've fallen prey to the very naivette that defeats your argument in favor of giving at least twice the weight to theory over results.

Last edited:

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
I know the number 25% serves a heuristic purpose in your post, but really 25%? You must have a lot more faith in human reasoning than I do. If you start discounting results you run the risk of unconsciously pressupposing an idealized meta wherein players do all in their power to win, where you erringly discount the inherently fallible nature of humans, you go all ought and forget about what is. And even if that ought might be and your theory simply predates what is to come following further developments in the meta it still wouldn't be accurate, and that's in a best case scenario uncommonly realized. To me a tier list is supposed to reflect the current meta, not one which may or may not come to be. A tier list should be an attempt at accurately portraying what is going on in the meta currently, a useful frame of reference guaranteed to be largely accurate. You seem to want it to be something more.

Moreover, the fact that you think Kirby would benefit positionally if more people shared your priorities kinda make me doubt your reasons. We all have our biases, and its really easy to think that they might be actualized if reason where the ruler rather than results. But I don't really think a slow grappler lacking range and struggling to approach would stand to gain much from more theory. Quite the opposite in fact. And you've failed to realize this, thus in a way, demonstrating you've fallen prey to the very naivette that defeats your argument in favor of giving at least twice the weight to theory over results.
No I really don't, because the people I have faith in think results matter a lot more than they should. Remember how it was said that the only reason Lucario wasn't moved to top tier was because it was made pre-Frostbite. Results matter, I get that, but when you start using them over frame date, matchups, and viability in general, that's when you need to reconsider what you're doing.
I agree, it should reflect the meta. But it feels like people see meta as "who won, who did this well", etc. I would say something about waning it to be something more, but I don't really know what that "more" is, apologies for that.
Apologies again, because I am unable to tell whether or not you understand that I think he would go down on the tier list, as opposed to you saying I think he would go up.
I do not wish to force opinions on people, I try as hard as I possibly can to respect opinions, I am merely asking people to consider the possibility that they may be mistaken, something many nowadays seem unable to do. Again, I am not saying that after I've said kirby would rise, rather he should drop, as on Dabuz's tier list.

Thank you for your time.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Update to this:
Also 2GG's trying to put these people on the compendium for FE saga, should they respond to a DM from 2GG:

- San :4myfriends:
- Waldo :4myfriends:
- Athena :4robinf:
- Hyper Kirby :4feroy:
- Matsudoku :4robinf: :4marth:
- Kogarasuma :4lucina:
- Mad Ice King :4robinf:
- Tsuna :4corrinf:
- Plastic Poptart :4marth: :4lucina:
- Skorpio :4robinf:
- Vexx :4marth:
- TheFlow :4feroy:
- False :4sheik: :4marth: :4dk: :4ryu:
- Frozen :4corrinf:
To add onto this, Team Japan has been decided. For this saga, it's Ke-Ya :4robinf: :4corrinf:, Mr. ii :4robinm:, YOC :4corrinf:, and Nojinko :4myfriends:!

Finh009

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Finh009
Karisuma 15 (Chubu, Japan) (80 Entrants)
Bracket: http://challonge.com/karisuma15T

1st: Kuro :4fox::4bayonetta:
2nd: Masha :4diddy:
3rd: Sukekokko :4greninja:
4th: Taiheita :4lucas:
5th: Hatsuyuki :4ludwig:
5th: Nishiya (Saiya) :4falcon:
7th: Chanshu :4ryu:
7th: Gobu :4metaknight:

9th: DIO :4yoshi: :4ryu:
9th: Earth :4pit::4corrinf::4fox:
9th: Eda :4falcon:
9th: Ri-ma :4tlink:
13th: Compact :4mewtwo:
13th: HIKARU :4dk::4mario:
13th: Raito :4duckhunt:
13th: Tsu~ :4falcon::4cloud2:
Masha :4diddy: 2-1 HIKARU :4dk:
Kuro :4fox: 2-1 Earth :4pit:
Eda :4falcon:2-1 ikep :4bayonetta2:
Hatsuyuki :4ludwig:2-1 Raito :4duckhunt:
Compact :4mewtwo:2-1 ikep :4bayonetta2:
DIO :4yoshi: 2-0 HIKARU :4dk:
Nishiya :4falcon: 2-1 Raito :4duckhunt:

ikep :4bayonetta2: out at 33rd.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Karisuma 15 (Chubu, Japan) (80 Entrants)

1st: Kuro :4fox::4pit:
2nd: Masha :4diddy:
3rd: Sukekokko :4greninja:
4th: Taiheita :4lucas:
5th: Hatsuyuki :4ludwig:
5th: Nishiya (Saiya) :4falcon:
7th: Chanshu :4ryu:
7th: Gobu :4metaknight:

9th: DIO :4yoshi:
9th: Earth :4pit::4corrinf:
9th: Eda :4falcon:
9th: Ri-ma :4tlink:
13th: Compact :4mewtwo:
13th: HIKARU :4dk:
13th: Raito :4duckhunt:
13th: Tsu~ :4falcon:
Masha :4diddy: 2-1 HIKARU :4dk:
Kuro :4fox: 2-1 Earth :4pit:
Eda :4falcon:2-1 ikep :4bayonetta2:
Hatsuyuki :4ludwig:2-1 Raito :4duckhunt:
Compact :4mewtwo:2-1 ikep :4bayonetta2:
DIO :4yoshi: 2-0 HIKARU :4dk:
Nishiya :4falcon: 2-1 Raito :4duckhunt:

ikep :4bayonetta2: out at 33rd.
16 unique characters in their top 13. So glad to see the diversity still going strong this far into the games lifespan, even if it's a mid sized tournament.

Shoutouts to Pits best showing in a while too I bet.

Finh009

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Finh009
16 unique characters in their top 13. So glad to see the diversity still going strong this far into the games lifespan, even if it's a mid sized tournament.

Shoutouts to Pits best showing in a while too I bet.
Kuro actually didn't use Pit for the whole tournament. He mainly Fox and went Bayonetta once.
I apologise as that was a mistake on my end.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Kuro was listed as Fox/Bayo in the results, not Pit.
Also, Hikaru stated he used DK in winners and Mario in losers.
:196:

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
Looks like Kuro is Doing well on his transtion to :4fox:, the only other character that can rival Pit in honesty :denzel:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Random observations:

- Best performance out of Taiheita in a while
- Pit isn't solo viable, even if you're Earth
- Bowser Jr in top 8 is surprising, who did he beat to get there?

JB333

Smash Apprentice
It's nice to see Saiya doing well in Japan after a small hiatus, with respectable loses to HIKARU:4dk: and Masha:4diddy: (1-2 each). I'd love to see Saiya (and/or Pichi) come to America for a 2gg event or other tournament.

Also, good stuff to Hatsuyuki getting top 6 with :4ludwig:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
https://www.thescoreesports.com/news/15091

Copying my response from Reddit:

It's actually super interesting how Smash mentality differs from other fighting games. While I've seen the idea of characters as tools from other top FGC players, I also see the idea of "play who you like." And that's nearly non-existent from top Smash players of any game. Maybe it's because of balance? Hell, people like Daigo and Xian stuck with characters who weren't considered good until those characters got nerfed.

Then on the other hand, FGC players are more accepting of "lame" tactics, like time outs and lots of patience. It's super interesting...

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
It's nice to see Saiya doing well in Japan after a small hiatus, with respectable loses to HIKARU:4dk: and Masha:4diddy: (1-2 each). I'd love to see Saiya (and/or Pichi) come to America for a 2gg event or other tournament.

Also, good stuff to Hatsuyuki getting top 6 with :4ludwig:
I'm curious, would you consider Pichi the 3rd or 2nd best Falcon?

From what I know, Cashmere has placings like 9th at FPS2 (above Fatality), 17th at CEO Dreamland, 7th at UNLOCKED, and 17th at Smash Con. He also has wins over players like Manny, Tsu, Mr. E, NAKAT, saj, MVD, JJROCKETS, and Nicko.

Pichi has placings such as winning Umebura 24, 9th at SGC 2017, and 9th at Umebura Japan Major. He has wins over players like Tsu (two of them), T, Choco, Raito (two), and Chanshu.

I guess Cashmere is above because of more PGR wins and better overall placings at stronger events, but Pichi could catch up with improvements and attending larger tournaments.

JB333

Smash Apprentice
I'm curious, would you consider Pichi the 3rd or 2nd best Falcon?

From what I know, Cashmere has placings like 9th at FPS2 (above Fatality), 17th at CEO Dreamland, 7th at UNLOCKED, and 17th at Smash Con. He also has wins over players like Manny, Tsu, Mr. E, NAKAT, saj, MVD, JJROCKETS, and Nicko.

Pichi has placings such as winning Umebura 24, 9th at SGC 2017, and 9th at Umebura Japan Major. He has wins over players like Tsu (two of them), T, Choco, Raito (two), and Chanshu.

I guess Cashmere is above because of more PGR wins and better overall placings at stronger events, but Pichi could catch up with improvements and attending larger tournaments.
I actually asked Fatality this on his stream about a month ago. He said that Cashmere was definitely the second best Falcon. I agree that Cashmere is, but I don't think there is a wide gap between them at all. They both definitely have potential to make big splashes at nationals in the long run though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom