• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 4BR Tier List v2.0 - Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Can you explain "poor frontal coverage" to me? I have a hard time seeing how he has poor frontal coverage when his FAir is massive, does 13%, autocancels, and kills.
As others have said its just one hitbox and it takes a while for it to actually come out and the faf makes it pretty bad offstage, other than that fair is amazing for a normal and its plenty enough to shut down approaches from characters with poor range

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Greninja trashes Lucas. He is potentially Lucas' worst MU. Greninja is the most natural Lucas counter.

Roy is actually around 45:55 and potentially even. Not a MU Greninja likes. Sort of comes down to Roy being massively underrated in general though.

Aside from the aforementioned, the DLC goes even with Greninja except for Cloud (we probably lose) and Mewtwo (we probably win).
In terms of DLC, I think :4mewtwo: is a losing MU, :4cloud: I'm still unsure, but I learn more towards losing.

:4corrin: and :4ryu: I believe are even. :4bayonetta: is probably even also, though much harder than the other two.

:4lucas: and :4feroy: I think is a win.
Greninja does not lose to Mewtwo.

He might have the best Mewtwo MU in the game.

WaDi's opinion only serves to back this up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Greninja trashes Lucas. Potentially Lucas' worst MU. It's Sheik if Sheik could kill.

Roy is actually around 45:55 and potentially even. Not a MU Greninja likes. Sort of comes down to Roy being massively underrated in general though.

Aside from the aforementioned, the DLC goes even with Greninja except for Cloud (we probably lose) and Mewtwo (we probably win).

Greninja does not lose to Mewtwo.

He might have the best Mewtwo MU in the game.

WaDi's opinion only serves to back this up.
I dunno, I'd say :4diddy::4cloud: have better Mewtwo matchups, but I'm open to your opinion considering I don't main Greninja.

What makes you say Roy is massively underrated too?

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I dunno, I'd say :4diddy::4cloud: have better Mewtwo matchups, but I'm open to your opinion considering I don't main Greninja.

What makes you say Roy is massively underrated too?
On balance I would agree that Diddy might have a better Mewtwo MU because (without going in-depth) he dominates harder in neutral. We haven't seen huge developments with Mewtwo abusing Diddy's disadvantage, though, which could be pretty big considering Mewtwo can catch his landings more easily than most and has various disjoints with which to challenge Monkey Flip. It's just that going by the opinions of WaDi and other top players, plus my own experience, Greninja does very well against Mewtwo. It's definitely a claim to fame for Greninja in the current meta.

I don't see Cloud having a better M2 matchup with his recovery being so vulnerable to Dsmash by the ledge. It's simply not a counterstrat we see often enough (don't even get me started on the underuse of Dsmash in footsies).

I'm not a big Roy conspiracy theorist or anything, I can just recognise the danger behind a character with such good mobility and frame data. Results aren't backing me up here - but it's more a complete lack of results (think pre-buff Greninja) than a good playerbase with lacklustre results (think Link). It's somewhat hard to judge the character's value at this point, I just think he has more to offer than most other mid-tiers.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Roy? Highly doubt that's even. He just get's massacred off stage, get's combo'd very hard, doesn't have good answers to shurikens. SH Nair is nice, has disjoints, and he's got good ground speed, but Greninja still solidly outclasses him in the mobility department and has his own disjoint as well.

Overall, I think greninja gives all the swordsmen trouble bar Cloud and maybe Toon Link.

:150:

D

Deleted member

I'd hesitate to call Roy's mobility that impressive.

He has a good run speed and extended dash dance but his walk has an acceleration of 0 (same issue every swordfighter has bar :4link::4tlink: for whatever reason) and he has one of the worst air accelerations in the game. It seriously hurts his stringing potential and gives him pretty bad air physics (poor air drift) in combination with his high fall speed. He also doesn't have much in way of mixing up his approaches, from what I can see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Yeah, Roy's air acceleration is a pain to work with sometimes. You can't jump towards your opponent and then swerve away with a fair or nair. You're going to head straight into the opponent if you jump towards them. A similar problem Ryu has to put up with. I tend to stay grounded with Roy, currently working with the usual method of movement: dashing and shielding to stop but Roy is tied for having the worst dash to shield in the game so I've been trying to make EDD and perfect pivoting a natural thing that I can do rather than something I have to think about to do. Even then, his aforementioned poor dash to shield and poor air acceleration means projectiles can be a major issue. You either try to shield them while EDD which is slow, try shielding while walking with a slow walk acceleration or jump over it and either stay in place or go in a very uncontrollable arc towards or away from the opponent. Best Roy has for mixing up his aerial movement is breversing and wavebouncing his Flare Blade and DED.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, Roy's air acceleration is a pain to work with sometimes. You can't jump towards your opponent and then swerve away with a fair or nair. You're going to head straight into the opponent if you jump towards them. A similar problem Ryu has to put up with. I tend to stay grounded with Roy, currently working with the usual method of movement: dashing and shielding to stop but Roy is tied for having the worst dash to shield in the game so I've been trying to make EDD and perfect pivoting a natural thing that I can do rather than something I have to think about to do. Even then, his aforementioned poor dash to shield and poor air acceleration means projectiles can be a major issue. You either try to shield them while EDD which is slow, try shielding while walking with a slow walk acceleration or jump over it and either stay in place or go in a very uncontrollable arc towards or away from the opponent. Best Roy has for mixing up his aerial movement is breversing and wavebouncing his Flare Blade and DED.
That also bring up another point you just mentioned: Roy's dash to shield is straight up pants.

I have to admire Roys that try to work the best with what they have in terms of movement. Ryo comes to mind.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
That also bring up another point you just mentioned: Roy's dash to shield is straight up pants.

I have to admire Roys that try to work the best with what they have in terms of movement. Ryo comes to mind.
Yeah, Marcina, Roy and Robin (but not Ike or Corrin?) take a whopping 17 frames just to end their initial dash. Compare that to the 2 best which is under half of that, 8 frames from Sheik and Corrin. Heck, Ike is sitting at the average 11 frames so I don't know why every other FE character that has footwear was given such an awful initial dash.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
As others have said its just one hitbox and it takes a while for it to actually come out and the faf makes it pretty bad offstage, other than that fair is amazing for a normal and its plenty enough to shut down approaches from characters with poor range
So basically it's mediocre/bad in disadvantage but good in neutral and advantage. I can respect that.

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
There were plenty of people who placed him at low-mid or even low tier. And why shouldn't they? He had no results and questionable theory. Even as recently as 6 months ago, I saw a tier list from FOW placing him in bottom 20.

People forget that Greninja didn't have a bunch of overpowered tools like Diddy, Sheik, Rosa and other top tiers who have been nerfed multiple times yet are still top 10. He had one broken tool (Hydro Pump) and two overpowered ones (shurikens and Usmash; neither were broken, shurikens borderline-ish but they were no worse than Shadow Ball) and took heavy hits to all 3, with a smattering of nerfs to other things that didn't need to be touched. Greninja has only been considered good after an upswing in results brought on largely by two significant rebuff patches, the changes to shieldstun and huge nerfs to his biggest gatekeeper (Sheik).

People thought he was bad, and for all intents and purposes he was.
Let's take a little trip down memory lane, when Sheik and Diddy dominated the meta with DThrow->whatever, and a certain character had the only tool that could break those combos.

Last edited:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
In a meta that is increasingly more movement focused and less shield heavy as time progresses, poor dash-to-shield frame data becomes less and less of an issue. The reason Marth doesn't have good dash-to-shield frame data is -probably- because dashing into shield is totally counterintuitive to his entire gameplan in the first place. It's not a big deal. Nor is it for Rosa, Peach, Falcon, Little Mac, etc.

Roy is the only character with a long dash length (in frames) that I'm confused about, because it actually hurts him a lot. He doesn't play like a traditional swordsman (he's not especially adept as a committed, ranged zoner). He's more like metaknight, in a sense, and his ends on f13. Regardless, Roy has significantly more raw mobility than just about every other character with a sword, so it's interesting thinking about what the developers may have intended for his playstyle.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Greninja beats Lucas explicitly because we can't play keepaway; Greninja just does it better in this MU. A lack of good OoS also means we don't have much to stop a Gren doing SH aerial shenanigoats and it means, unlike Ness, we don't get to turn his Dtilt / jab setups against him with Nair, we can only jump out.

But it's not our worst by any margin, Lucas' worst MU is Diddy fo sho (Although it might not be as bad as we thought, Tai v ZeRo could have looked entirely different very very easily for... Reasons). Greninja's like, a difficult -1 I think.

I've tried this MU vs Waveguider's Gren and tbh I'm going Ness every time from now on lol.

zzmorg82

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch FC
2476 2506 3411
I don't agree with Falco being bad for Pac. Yes Shine Rekts a lot of Pac's stuff but if he doesn't get a lead, its hard for him to comeback.
Agreed; personally I think the match-up is even. Falco can combo Pac-Man, but once they start to play the keep-away game it can be hard to get in.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You can dash forward and jump back still, it just requires 'tech skill'. You maintain momentum in the direction you're dashing when you jump and because Roy has no extra air acceleration he gets stuck in his jump position, making him very punishable. This is still a thing with every other char, just the other notable ones such as ZSS and Sheik have an a-okay acceleration so you probably wouldn't notice as much - at least in ZSS's case it's a substantial but you can still jump further away than most players/characters can punish (i.e. not being lazy with ZSS means you stop being punishable, duh!). It wasn't like this in Brawl, so it took me a really long time to figure it out and suddenly fundamental knowledge started translating clearer to the game. You wouldn't notice this on most chars, such as Marth: okay acceleration, soso max air speed; i.e. a lot of the cast!

Dash in retreating jump is a pretty badass option, for an air time of 20 frames he's covering a distance basically only Sonic can cover by read (if you're not spacing your jump and they have a solid DA that'll work too). Obviously intelligent usage of the amount of space he can also jump forward is very potent too, just you wouldn't really care much about it as an opponent holding shield, until more effective and tricky movement comes into effect.

Now with that in mind, the concept of a 'hyper' mikeneko (similar to the way Leo plays Marth today) reactive footsies due to rocket powered boots is attainable. Something something reaction speed trap between aerial or landing option (grab), dash side-b [oos] being the goat, etc etc (It's a bit more complicated but than that but filler information)

Roy's tipper options are not poor nor are they to be avoided (why do people think this?). They are not really fantastic either (except back air, holy crap is that move awesome; also you need side-b to be tippered on the first hit for it to combo properly past early percent), but they're still on a pretty sizable sword that with good (but difficult) spacing is not easy for most chars to break through or punish. Essentially anyone at Mewtwo's level or worse oos ranged options* (considering that includes immediate oos fair/nair and dtilt/DA) have to opt for zoning him out, leading to pressure, leading to fun times... leading to being maybe an alright character?

*He has issues with things that swing at space farther than he can reach because then you just hit him ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
(and then shield/grab gets a lot better for you as Roy tries to play around that, spare me Mr Ding Dong :dkmelee:, spare me)

Oh but his dash speed is still excellent... dash in power shield is still a feasible option (just like it is still important for Marth) because grabs and jabs are very fabulous.
Dash dancing stuff let's you vary the distance your dash to shield will be too. The primary issue with these long dash to shields isn't inherently the frame data (especially when they have so many strong OoD options) but the amount of distance moved forward.

'Tech Skill': letting the control stick go to neutral before pressing jump~ :p
Have any further design quandary relating to Roy? Just refer to rocket physics. Or consider why we don't have consumer jet-packs yet.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Let's take a little trip down memory lane, when Sheik and Diddy dominated the meta with DThrow->whatever, and a certain character had the only tool that could break those combos.
Greninja didn't have anything to break Diddy's throw combos.

SSHC also was and is wildly inconsistent vs Sheik's Uair.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Yeah, Hakii is a friend of mine. He's played me and P2P with Gibus and lost to us both.

When I asked him about the MU, he said he thinks Greninja has a slight advantage, and now I'm seeing other Lucas mains (Kodystri, JeBB) also say the same.
Great and now I feel dumb because I don't know any of these people except Hakii whose name I've at least heard before.

Cloud really doesn't have that much of an advantage against Mewtwo though.

Though I suspect that because of Mewtwo's polarizing design he has some random mid- and low-tier "odd-counter" that give him a hard time. Roy's jab -> Up B seems to be at its most effective against Mewtwo and Mewtwo also has a weird losing record to Duck Hunt in Japan.

:059:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
As far as Gren vs Lucas goes, I believe Taiheita has also put the MU in Greninja's advantage, but I believe it was only a slight one.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Does anyone know where we can find stuff like walk/dash acceleration, dash to shield, skid etc... ?
I think there was a google doc but I can't get my hands on it.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
At risk of being hunted down by an angry mob...

Art of Marth was released yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITPEEtexc0Q

Not sure whether it was posted here, but just in case, because it's quite an interesting watch (well of course it would be; I main Marth...).
Izaw probably makes the best Smash 4 guides. They're visually appealing and the audio is good so there's nothing distracting you from the wealth of information he gives you, and that information is good for both beginners and veterans of the character.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Heads up - I made a thread for Smash the Record. It's not worth it to discuss in this thread (not competitive), but if you're watching, there's a place to discuss :)

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9g6bFiVLBY

Not sure how many of you have seen this, but what happened here?
I'm not going to let this get drowned out without a fair chance; I too, would like to know what happened here.

As far as I know, true phantom hits only exist in Melee (no, the little sparks that appear when a move appears to touch an opponent in this game is not a phantom hit, it means your move was 1 frame away from hitting the opponent). I really don't get what happened here.

Nah

Smash Champion
Doesn't that only show dash length, though? I'm finding completely different values for dash to shield and dash to neutral elsewhere. Most notably here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...NqVb8uJQL_g0KWgl4IOjXQ/htmlview?pref=2&pli=1#
Dash to shield is the same thing as the initial dash length on Kuroganehammer. The 1 frame difference is probably that the docs sheet doesn't count the frame it takes to pull shield up, while on KH it does.

"Dash to neutral" is a different action, which I assume is something like you dash but don't hit shield, and that's how long it takes before hitting attack won't trigger a dash attack. Something like that, not 100% sure tho.

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
As far as I know, true phantom hits only exist in Melee (no, the little sparks that appear when a move appears to touch an opponent in this game is not a phantom hit, it means your move was 1 frame away from hitting the opponent). I really don't get what happened here.
The orange sparks are exactly what a phantom hit is. It happens when your hitbox is less than 0.1 units inside of the opponent's hurt box. It causes no damage, just a spark and a quiet sound. In Melee is was similar, except it was 0.01 units and it still did damage.
Officially, it is called a "glancing blow."

As for that clip, doesn't Cloud's limit Up B have 2 hits? Perhaps the first hit connected but the second one did not?

D

Deleted member

Not the Smash the Record thread but,

Xmas:4shulk:beat Nairo:4zss: 2-1 at said tournament.
He later ended up getting 33rd, not bad for 414 entrants.

D

Deleted member

Super Smash Geek #2 (Montreal, Canada - 73 entrants)

1. Ally:4mario:
2. Venom:4ryu:
3. Holy :4rob:
4. Darkwolf:4shulk::4cloud2:
5. Z :4mewtwo:
5. SuperGirlKels :4sonic:
7. Soru :4palutena:
7. Dunston :4pikachu:
9. Goulmania :4corrinf:
9. Sensuell :4fox:
9. Fairlines :4sheik:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
The orange sparks are exactly what a phantom hit is. It happens when your hitbox is less than 0.1 units inside of the opponent's hurt box. It causes no damage, just a spark and a quiet sound. In Melee is was similar, except it was 0.01 units and it still did damage.
Officially, it is called a "glancing blow."

As for that clip, doesn't Cloud's limit Up B have 2 hits? Perhaps the first hit connected but the second one did not?
That was my initial thought but the two hits do 6 and 7% respectively. Mario took a total of 13%, so that can't be it.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
First sorry for unintentionally causing that discussion. I would never have guesed how much of a mess Greninja's matchups are.
Marth can simply roll past the projectiles or use Counter to disable the most dangerous ones if you feel bold. I usually run Lucina instead of Marth, especially due to the way more consistent KO power of Dancing Blade and the up Smash, but what works for one should work for the other in this case.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
TLTC :4palutena: beats Aarvark :4morton: :4rob: :4villager: 6-4 over 2 sets to win Hero to ZeRo and gives his plane ticket to Regi since he's already attending.

Good :4gaw: play incoming?

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
That Art of Marth video got me thinking, in every Smash game, I could see myself using Marth but I never have while I have no problem using Roy. I think for me, it has to do with that whole 'bubble' idea Izaw mentioned. Marth constantly wants you at the edge of his 'bubble' unless he's going for a sourspot combo starter. For the most part, if the opponent is past tipper range then the Marth failed to keep his opponent out and is in danger. He's more open to his opponents attacks and less open to his own most threatening options. Meanwhile Roy gets to either be safer at tipper range or rewarded for a hit more at hilt range.

As for that weird Cloud/Mario thing, does the first hit of Limit Climhazzard have set or weight based knockback? Or perhaps Melee's ceiling glitch has returned.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
TLTC :4palutena: beats Aarvark :4morton: :4rob: :4villager: 6-4 over 2 sets to win Hero to ZeRo and gives his plane ticket to Regi since he's already attending.

Good :4gaw: play incoming?
Why would you attend an online qualifier for a tournament you're already going to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom