• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3DS Community Patch Notes v1.0.4 -- Engine Changes to DI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Yeah, you're right. I wonder why those with better horizontal air speed have better horizontal survivability then (assuming same weight)?
If they are while dying in hitstun, it's because of ****ty programming. Otherwise, I'd imagine they just have a better chance of slowing down and recovering.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Horizontal deceleration (weaving acceleration) and vertical acceleration are both numbers that exist in the game and which effect kill percent, just very very very lightly for the most part.

Vertical acceleration was a pretty heavy factor to survival in Melee - Falco was the 'heaviest' vertical survivor yet due to low weight died horizontally just like any other featherweight.

Last edited:

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Same test, but for the left side of the flipper hazards on default balloon flight which have more horizontal knockback:

Left held: 53 Max launch speed
No input: 56 Max launch speed
Right held: 58 Max launch speed

In short: I have no idea what the **** is going on with the horizontal influence, the ability to increase and decrease vertical knockback is definitely gone though.
Waitwaitwaitwaitwait hold up.

So you're telling me if I hold left on the left side of the flipper, I'll survive longer. But if I hold right on the left side of the bumper, I'll die earlier?

Edit: nvm this isn't the case. Still weird though.

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
All right, so what all do we know so far?

I know that...
- Vertical hits don't let you VI
- Horizontal hits may have some sort of a mix of VI and DI

Is that correct?
And can we get a list of what we know (and what we think we know, separately) so we know what to test specifically?

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Speculation time:
DI was already in the game
VI wasnt intended to be in the game
Patch removed verticle VI, but neglected to remove it horizontally

Non speculation for those unaware, horizontal vectoring worked the same way in 1.02, most people just never bothered to look it up. Holding left and right already did nothing in terms of vectoring but did lead to DI. Holding up and down increased and decreased knockback on the horizontal plane respectively and also lead to DI vertically. And of course, up and down also increased and decreased knockback vertically.

Last edited:

User52

Smash Cadet
NNID
User52
So the one mechanic that rewards the more skillful player with better reaction times and anticipaition skills - VI - has been removed whereas the other mechanic that rewards the less skillful player in a match - rage - has been left in the game.

I'm not pleased by this.

:059:
But DI was added, which takes more skill than VI. And rage doesn't reward bad players, it rewards survivors. AND DI means people won't survive as long. Which means rage, in practice, may have been nerfed.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Same test, but for the left side of the flipper hazards on default balloon flight which have more horizontal knockback:

Left held: 54 Max launch speed
Right held: 56 Max launch speed

Left held: 53 Max launch speed
Right held: 58 Max launch speed

In short: I have no idea what the **** is going on with the horizontal influence, the ability to increase and decrease vertical knockback is definitely gone though.
I just tested this and I got different results. The kb you get is probably based on holding up or down. Holding down I got 52 kb. Neutral/Left/Right I got 56 kb. It is hard to get it perfectly aligned with a direction on the 3DS pad though so this needs confirmation.

Okay so based on everything discovered until now.

-Vectoring is gone for vertical launching moves
-Such moves are only influenced by DI

-For horizontal moves (maybe Sakurai angle only?) there is DI and vectoring
-For such moves holding up increases knockback and holding down decreases knockback
-These moves are also affected by DI, which can make things confusing for survival (lower kb + lower angle vs. higher kb + higher angle)

What needs to be tested.

-What are the criteria for having this weird vectoring behavior?
-Is the degree to which kb is amplified by constant?

Last edited:

Cowhunter

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cowhunter
Wouldn't it be consistent with the data to say that there is both Vectoring and DI? When looking at the video posted earlier it seems that both a vector is being added in the desired direction as well as the angle being increased or decreased in the same direction. Meanwhile holding directly against or with the momentum would only incur a vector in that direction. The only thing I'm having trouble with is why the launch speed would be increased or decreased based on holding up or down.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Speculation time:
DI was already in the game
VI wasnt intended to be in the game
Patch removed verticle VI, but neglected to remove it horizontally

Non speculation for those unaware, horizontal vectoring worked the same way in 1.02, most people just never bothered to look it up. Holding left and right already did nothing in terms of vectoring but did lead to DI. Holding up and down increased and decreased knockback on the horizontal plane respectively and also lead to DI vertically. And of course, up and down also increased and decreased knockback vertically.
You need to make a thread about this or something. I think you're right.
So essentially the only thing that has changed is that vectoring no longer works for vertical launch trajectories.

Nonon

Smash Rookie
Came here to post about what seemed to be a new/changed hit in pikachu's bair when landing with it. Discovered vectoring is (at least partially?) removed. Crazy.

Anyway, Pikachu might have a new really weak hit with his bair when you land with it, the properties of the landing hit could have been altered, but I really think it's the former. Can't test it myself however. @ Thinkaman Thinkaman have at it.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Came here to post about what seemed to be a new/changed hit in pikachu's bair when landing with it. Discovered vectoring is (at least partially?) removed. Crazy.

Anyway, Pikachu might have a new really weak hit with his bair when you land with it, the properties of the landing hit could have been altered, but I really think it's the former. Can't test it myself however. @ Thinkaman Thinkaman have at it.
Naw, we'll wait for based @Dantarion to finish taking a dump. This is the best way to resolve any such small details.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
The title shouldn't say "vectoring removed". It's obviously still there in a way and it's gonna confuse a lot of people. There's still lots of testing to do on this.

Thread theme

Nonon

Smash Rookie
Well it's not really small. An extra hit from a multi-hit move should be easy to test. You just have to make sure you land on the stage the same way.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Pit's down throw seems to end faster or has IASA frames? I dunno, but I feel like I can jump out f it much faster than before.
Fair also comboes the WHOLE animation of the bow spinning not just the middle anymore...it's easier to combo with or gimp off stage
Nair seems to have the same treatment as well

I haven't tested Dark Pit but I would presume it's the same...

All the same as before.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Hey I know we're all excited about the DI/Vectoring changes and stuff, but if possible I'd like a comparison test for Ness done, namely how long it takes before he can act after his PK Thunder projectile hits something (NOT when he hits himself). I think it might be slightly longer before he can act but I can't be sure. Much appreciated.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Hey I know we're all excited about the DI/Vectoring changes and stuff, but if possible I'd like a comparison test for Ness done, namely how long it takes before he can act after his PK Thunder projectile hits something (NOT when he hits himself). I think it might be slightly longer before he can act but I can't be sure. Much appreciated.
Someone is looking at the game data itself, that's why researching characters has slowed down.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
We don't have time to deal with your BS impressions of changes that are...

Totally correct. Confirmed.

BCE

Smash Rookie
i still dont downloaded the patch, this means that when the red lighting appears from a attack, is 100% accurate that the dude was killed this time ?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
i still dont downloaded the patch, this means that when the red lighting appears from a attack, is 100% accurate that the dude was killed this time ?
It is *significantly* more accurate at the very least.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
The AC frame happening post IASA of airdodge either seems to have been removed or reduced.

And Delux only trolls about the name, he didn't even discover it, its an in-joke that fools the uninitiated community into thinking we actually named it that. I think at this stage, maybe the jokes gotten old, quoth the Aeroraven.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom