• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3/29-3/30 Hard Knocks Brawl - Orlando

Frames

DI
It's a forum run by Hugs, Nealdt and Gimpyfish. I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing in smash. -_-
Allisbrawl.com is fine and all, but this is where it all got started. Honestly, as long as you guys have the right rules, i don't care where you go for them.

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
The no characters unlocked thing sounds like it has to do with the fact that they are using THEIR setups meaning they might not have the same characters unlocked on each wii, so maybe they are trying to be fair by letting people only use the starting ones!!!

:colorful:

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
The no characters unlocked thing sounds like it has to do with the fact that they are using THEIR setups meaning they might not have the same characters unlocked on each wii, so maybe they are trying to be fair by letting people only use the starting ones!!!

:colorful:
I know, I was needling them.

Crom

Smash Journeyman
Well Snake should be aloud, just play 15 sudden death matches on Shadow Moses Island, takes like 3 minutes

Dumpster

Smash Cadet
We haven't announced a list of characters yet, so I'm not sure why everyone's jumping to conclusions. We just wanted to make sure that everyone was unlocked on all Wii's before we had a definitive answer.

The map selection will be adjusted a bit more, and some final tweaks will be made to the structure this weekend. After that we're done fiddling with it. NO 2v2 this tournament. Again, we want to get a feel for how many people are interested in this, and the response locally has been very positive.

Also, we have updated our online purchaseing, so if you want to still get into the pre-registration, you can do it here:

https://www.hardknocksorlando.com/merchandise_gametime.php

Just go down to amount of time, and choose Smash Brothers Brawl. It is 12 dollars instead of the 10 due to taxes and credit card surcharges. If you do not have an account name yet (ie you haven't been here before) put in your first and last name as your User Name and we can create your account when you arrive.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Yeah, Frames, purekorea, and I went over to Hard Knocks yesterday...this is important.

EVERYBODY COMING TO THIS TOURNEY MUST PRE-REG FOR IT.

Yeah, that's true. They are NOT holding day of registration.

You can register in person at the store or go online, but according to Dumpster's last post, the online seems to have additional costs... like $2 ...

Also, as of the 24th, the sign up costs $20 (+whatever online charges they include) instead of the 10. So, if you are coming to this, you should get signed up NOW...

I'll probably post this several times...I don't want people driving from say Melbourne or Kissimmee to not be allowed to enter.

Also, don't start thinking that nobody's going to sign up for this...apparently there are a LOT of locals interested. The sign up list had something like 40 people last night....so yeah. I didn't see anybody I recognized, so I was guessing that unless I missed somebody, it's all random locals. Just fyi.

Also, on a side note to Dumpster...I agree with Frames...as long as the ruleset is good enough, I'll be happy. I'm not entirely sure why you would be going to a website forum created by people who originated on this very forum and are still active, longstanding members here...and still use it mainly to discuss Brawl now. But whatever...that's your choice, and we, as longstanding member of the tournament community, don't seem to have any say on the ruleset, so I'll stick to my little cage and be happy.

xYz

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1049-0933-6834
lol im pretty sure everyone coming from SB will be top 24 out of 50-60... lollycakes.

Dumpster

Smash Cadet
Our current credit card vendor is having an issue for online transactions. We just got in contact with them and the issue will hopefully be resolved today. I'll see if we can extend the pre-reg due to this unforseen circumstance.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Lol hiroshi arrogance isn't going to get u anywhere. They were also telling me how you made like a 3 minute speech yesterday about how your kirby is way better than mine. I played you with my kirby once and I won lol...

Not holdin it down hirsohi.

Finch

Smash Lord
Our current credit card vendor is having an issue for online transactions. We just got in contact with them and the issue will hopefully be resolved today. I'll see if we can extend the pre-reg due to this unforseen circumstance.
Good to know. I kept getting declined and I was worried.

SLyNKee

Smash Journeyman
Stop saying this is how Gigs does it, or use Gigs rules etc. You are making it sound like Gigs has its own special rules when they just use rules that were established and made popular by MLG, hence why most tournaments used to say MLG style rule set in their post.

Everytime you tell this guy do it like gigs does! they arent going to want to do it since you are putting it out like its a gigabits exclusive thing.

The rules that people follow have been being used for years in offical venue and player run tournaments from in home. So dont go trying to say we are new this is how we are going to do it, because you will lose a majority of the competitive smash crowd since these rules have found to be the best/most fair.

Do not say theres a limit on characters, if you dont have them all unlocked some one just bring in a SD card and copy all the data, many people will be at a disadvantage if their favorite character and/or stage isnt available because you guys didn't unlock it, so don't even mention anything about character lists, since it should just be ALL characters.

I understand this is your first tournament for smash, just remember that these have been happening for years so please dont trying to think outside the norm and be special, when it comes down to it you are not a beautiful and unique snowflake, you are just another venue. If you host a good tournament you will have a loyal following.

Like I personally hate Gigabits as a location, its small, crowded and theres black lights on 24/7 which make my eyes feel like ive had them open in a swimming pool after about 4+ hours. But ive been to a decent amount of them because their tournaments are fun smoothly, and they have a good turn out.

The venue (from what Ive seen on your site) seems really spacey and like an interesting place (any one up for some counterstrike lazer tag after the tourney?) and it would be nice for you guys to host tournaments on a regular basis, just try not to stray from the established rules that have been working and have been the standard for years.

P.s. You dont have black lights right?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
lol @ hiroshi-flav already talking ****. "Yeeeeeaaaaah, boooooiiiiiiii!!!!"

I can't wait for his first brawl "I need more consistency" speech...

Nah, I'm just playing...

anyways, considering the level of competition that's going to be there (for the most part), top 10 seems like a really reasonable goal for anybody competent at the game. I just wish Rohins were here to own everybody. Oh well.

Dumpster

Smash Cadet
The biggest issue we've run into is trying to cater to everyone's responses on this site.

A) We're not GB. We know they have a huge loyal following. We're not trying to dispute that fact. They've clearly been doing something right with how many people have been very vocal about how we're not doing what they do.

B) If someone can link me to a definitive list of rules that people say that should be used for tournaments, by all means, show me the link. I've been trolling the tournament forums and every tournament is a bit different. It's just the way things seem to be going untill MLG or another major gaming venue puts out the 'official' rules. Untill then, we're doing our best.
Pleasing everyone isn't possible. :ohwell:

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Me and Queenie just went there to register, and there was 54 people registered already. This means the minimum prize for 1st place is $250+$270= $520. This isn't even close to how many people will be registered come tournament day. I predict somewhere around 80 people total (could be a lot more), which would make the 1st place prize ~$650 or so. That's what I'm talking about.

I'm really suprised that they are not paying out at least to 3rd place though, seeing that it's way bigger than a gigs, 3rd should at least get their money back.

The venue is the nicest I've ever been to, and could easily fit 100+ without anyone bumping into each other. Setups were plentiful and well spread out.

I'd say this has the potential to become a great venue, as long as they keep our thoughts in consideration.

@ Dumpster: The only weird thing I noticed about your ruleset was that the # of Stock/Time limit increasing as the tournament got to the higher levels seemed unusual. But we can't really be the judge of whether or not this will work out well until we try it. The rest of your ruleset is all good.

Dumpster

Smash Cadet
Me and Queenie just went there to register, and there was 54 people registered already. This means the minimum prize for 1st place is $250+$270= $520. This isn't even close to how many people will be registered come tournament day. I predict somewhere around 80 people total (could be a lot more), which would make the 1st place prize ~$650 or so. That's what I'm talking about.

I'm really suprised that they are not paying out at least to 3rd place though, seeing that it's way bigger than a gigs, 3rd should at least get their money back.

The venue is the nicest I've ever been to, and could easily fit 100+ without anyone bumping into each other. Setups were plentiful and well spread out.

I'd say this has the potential to become a great venue, as long as they keep our thoughts in consideration.

@ Dumpster: The only weird thing I noticed about your ruleset was that the # of Stock/Time limit increasing as the tournament got to the higher levels seemed unusual. But we can't really be the judge of whether or not this will work out well until we try it. The rest of your ruleset is all good.

Third place get their money back? Count it. Sounds good to me actually. The 3rd and 4th place (semi finals) will play each other to see who gets their money back. Winner does.

Crom

Smash Journeyman
This is starting to sound really good so I'm going to go ahead and sign up.

Dumpster - Since you guys don't know if you'll be able to have every character available, try to at least have Snake unlocked. He's one of the easiest characters to unlock, all you do is play shadow moses island 15 times, can be done in under 5 minutes per Wii.

It's not very hard to unlock all the characters either, that can be done in about 2 hours or less. Just incase you haven't heard of the method before here it is:

Goto special brawl and turn on the Stamina and Flower options. After that, turn on a computer opponent and you should be able to set his Stamina amount to 1. With these options set, each match you play will be under 1 second. After playing 450 vs matches you'll unlock all the characters (just make sure you play at least 15 of those matches on shadow moses for snake.)

Raistlin

Smash Lord
Huh, I just might have to go to this, but that'd be like 5 weeks in a row that I came home.

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
I was playin' some laggy WiFi and am feeling mighty fine about my Ike and Marth, so I will be taking this tournament by storm. (as previously stated)

P.S. My brother is better than me, and some Ike/Pit and Marth/Pit will be tearin' this ish up.

Top Bottom