• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2013 Community Tier List

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
i feel like i would change a few of my choices at this point

Senortesta

Smash Apprentice
Personally I think that even though wobblez just placed 2nd at evo, ICs should still remain at 8th. Most of their game is reliant on wobbling and other infinites which come from grabs so just playing hit and run works well against them. Also any projectile is good because since nana shields a bit later, she could still take damage even though popo shields. One of the reasons I think that people loose to ICs is that they are too impatient and rush in to kill nana quickly and then get shieldgrabbed and complain that ICs are broken.
Other people's opinions might've changed after evo buy my opinion stands the same.

Deathconsciousness

tier lists only exist to make insecure noobs feel better about the character they "chose" (brainwashed into picking) tbh

SleepyK

i just heard some interesting conflicting opinions about marth from both Taj and fly amanita (well fly moreso told me what other people had said)

i would reconsider where i put him and probably reorganize the lower tiers

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
I'd be interested in knowing what those conflicting opinions about Marth are. Unless I'm reading too much into your comment and you literally just meant "one of them thinks Marth is bad, the other thinks Marth is good"

SleepyK

that was pretty much it, honestly

taj had listed a bunch of reasons and fly stated that socal recently was of the opinion that marth is pretty good again

Bones0

Smash Legend
there would be so many attributes to judge it'd be impossible

and how can you judge more or less weight objectively? more weight is better for survivability but less wight means less combo fodder.
How does less weight mean less combo fodder? lol

Divinokage

Smash Legend

Well as a IRL fighter, those small guys are really hard to hit and are super fast.. but that doesnt exactly apply to smash because moves apply a set amount of knockback and stun so that kind of logic is thrown out the window for smash at least.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Well as a IRL fighter, those small guys are really hard to hit and are super fast.. but that doesnt exactly apply to smash because moves apply a set amount of knockback and stun so that kind of logic is thrown out the window for smash at least.
I don't see what the point of this post was.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The chances of this project forming an "official" list is very small. I don't think the quality of data is where it would need to be.

What particularly bothers me is how small the variance between lists are. Only something like 3 people didn't have Fox or Falco as #1, which is less than the people who spelled 'Sheik' wrong or wrote 'Gannon'. I think the problem has two faces: one is that not everyone agrees or knows what a tier list is, the other is that "discussion" of each person's list tends to make people post more publicly presentable tier lists even if their true opinion is different.

I'm more than happy to release the results of the calculations, but I am not putting any more effort into the software at this time. However I want the software to remain available to the community to ease the calculation process for tier list production in the future.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
weight, like fall speed, affects how well you can combo characters. the heavier they are, the less distance they travel after a hit.

Bones0

Smash Legend
The chances of this project forming an "official" list is very small. I don't think the quality of data is where it would need to be.

What particularly bothers me is how small the variance between lists are. Only something like 3 people didn't have Fox or Falco as #1, which is less than the people who spelled 'Sheik' wrong or wrote 'Gannon'. I think the problem has two faces: one is that not everyone agrees or knows what a tier list is, the other is that "discussion" of each person's list tends to make people post more publicly presentable tier lists even if their true opinion is different.

I'm more than happy to release the results of the calculations, but I am not putting any more effort into the software at this time. However I want the software to remain available to the community to ease the calculation process for tier list production in the future.
This is pretty much why I can't take tier list discussion anymore. The level of conformity in the creation of lists is laughable, and what's even worse is this is not some recent trend as a result of having a constant list since 2010. The spacies and Sheik have been almost undisputed top 3 since 2002, back before people even attempted to use advanced techs. Just to drive home how bad people were in 2002, watch this.

I doubt people are actually afraid of disclosing their own opinions. Most people seem quite confident in their assertions that FFS are the top 3 and openly mock people who disagree as if those 3 not being the best is some sort of ridiculous opinion. I just think people get it in their heads that certain characters are better and confirmation bias does the rest. It's almost reasonable. Why would a player think Fox, Falco, or Sheik aren't top 3 when such a huge majority of the community says they are and they are extremely popular characters?

I wish we could get the opinions of the tier list from players who are at least fairly experienced in competitive play but who have not been exposed to the opinions of the masses. Obviously it wouldn't say much about what the tier list actually is since no one will get very good without hearing about the tier list, but it'd be funny to see their transformation from a tier list before being exposed to community opinions to their opinion after.

weight, like fall speed, affects how well you can combo characters. the heavier they are, the less distance they travel after a hit.
I'd consider being lighter a much bigger detriment when it comes to comboing because you stay in stun longer. You rarely see fatties getting comboed because they don't fly very far since they're out of stun so much earlier anyway. You also get out of throw combos much more easily because of the increased throw lag.

john!

Smash Hero
I think the problem has two faces: one is that not everyone agrees or knows what a tier list is, the other is that "discussion" of each person's list tends to make people post more publicly presentable tier lists even if their true opinion is different.
face #2 can be fixed by either private submission of lists, forbidding tier list discussion in the submission thread, or encouraging more open-mindedness among the community (those worthless one-sentence posts like "marth at #2, really?" should be considered spam)

face #1 can be fixed by discussing what a tier list actually means and how it should be formed. i try to bring this up a lot in the tier list thread but a lot of times discussion doesn't go very far.

feel free to post the data and source code btw, i'm sure some programmers/statisticians on this site will be willing to work their magic

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
S: Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, Jigglypuff, Peach, C.Falcon, Ice Climbers​
A: Dr. Mario, Pikachu, Samus, Ganondorf, Luigi, Mario​
B: Young Link, Link, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Zelda, Roy, Mewtwo, Game & Watch​
F: Ness, Bowser, Pichu, Kirby​

Tier Name Translations
S- Viable Tier. All characters in this range are viable for competing.
A- Semi-Viable Tier. These characters have been shown by their dedicated players to have the tools to compete, though it is apparent that they are slightly disadvantaged.
B- Probably Not Viable Tier. Some players have done well with these characters in specific match-ups, but for the most part they aren't viable for winning tournaments.
F- Just Leave Them Alone Tier. Its probably for the best.

Voters: BladeWise, Dart!, Diakonos, Divinokage, Hax, HoChiMinhTrail, hungrybox, HyugaRicdeau, Juggleguy, KevinM, King Funk, Mogwai, Nintendude1189, Paju, Pink Reaper, Pluplue, Redd, Ripple, SleepyK, Strong Bad, SuperMatt, Sveet, SwiftBass, TaFoKiNtS, Tero., The Good Doctor, VaNz, Yeroc

FourStar

Smash Ace
was anyone else surprised by the huge jump by yoshi like me? because honestly i wouldn't think he would move up three spots. woah

Diakonos

Smash Lord
Seems pretty good to me, too! Would be interested in knowing how voters were chosen.

Also: did you hear, guys? Marth is better than Jigglypuff now. (How will I excuse my losses :O?)

NNID
dansalvato
There is more deviation between CF and ICs than between ICs and Doc, so I think ICs should be considered A tier. Also because I do think they're a pretty good step below the top 7, enough to warrant a deduction in letter grade.

D

Deleted member

There is more deviation between CF and ICs than between ICs and Doc, so I think ICs should be considered A tier. Also because I do think they're a pretty good step below the top 7, enough to warrant a deduction in letter grade.

at this point with tournament results, i'd say the opposite. falcon can't seem to break into the top placements at the biggest tournaments, while ICs and Doc occasionally do. I'd sooner put falcon into A tier.

however, i also chose not to vote. just verbalizing my thoughts.

Top Bottom