• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2008 Olympics

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Well its Olympics time and no matter where you're from its time to prove who is the best athlete. Now me since I'm from the US I'll support the USA but I have to admit the competition is good. Just tell me who you're rooting for and why?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
My vote goes to whoever looks sexiest in a speedo.

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
You know what's cool? I'm actually in BEIJING CHINA! That is right! Get jealous now. mwa hahaha! That's how I've been posting in strange times of the day. It's 10:00 right now here. Oh and 1more day! I watched one of those countdown things, which they have all over Bejing. It's gonna hit zero tommorow at 8:00 pm. So excited. But then I other problems......

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
You know what's cool? I'm actually in BEIJING CHINA! That is right! Get jealous now. mwa hahaha! That's how I've been posting in strange times of the day. It's 10:00 right now here. Oh and 1more day! I watched one of those countdown things, which they have all over Bejing. It's gonna hit zero tommorow at 8:00 pm. So excited. But then I other problems......
Whaaaaaaat. Lucky! >.< Are you there specific for the Olympics?

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
Nah, I go here to visit my grandparents. The Olympics is just a fabulous bonus.... or not. Tickets are ridiculously hard ta get, with some tickets going up to the thousands in cost. Maybe if I pick a game that no one wants to watch... but what's the point of that?

One really fun thing I like ta do is walk up to random tourists and start babbling in English and watch people look at me in funny ways. Gets them off guard everytime. Then I have this dating problem, budum, I'm not going into that.

Omis

my friends were skinny
Nah, I go here to visit my grandparents. The Olympics is just a fabulous bonus.... or not. Tickets are ridiculously hard ta get, with some tickets going up to the thousands in cost. Maybe if I pick a game that no one wants to watch... but what's the point of that?

One really fun thing I like ta do is walk up to random tourists and start babbling in English and watch people look at me in funny ways. Gets them off guard everytime. Then I have this dating problem, budum, I'm not going into that.
Go for pingpong. Its awesome but no one seems to watch it.

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
Well, I tend to be quite the patriot when it comes to the Olympics, so I'm pretty much going to be rooting for the US. Although Chile might get some of my support too, as I'm still a legal resident for another month or so.

But the summer Olympics aren't nearly as exciting as the winter ones. No hockey, moguls, halfpipe, curling, or speed skating...which pretty much rounds out my favorite sports. Does anyone know what time the opening ceremony is tomorrow?

Puddin

Smash Lord
It does not matter who we root for because the 08' Olympics are a trap.

Disregard that reference to the Onion News Network.

I'll be rooting for USA but listening to a discussion of the Olympics China has home field advantage. The judges are influenced by the cheers of the crowd and there will be mostly fans of the China teams there.

Yaya

Smash Champion
There's a person from my town who's gonna be in the olympics for Wrestling.

If you see a Canadian Wrestler named Travis Cross, He's from my town.

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
Go for pingpong. Its awesome but no one seems to watch it.
Chinese people LOVE ping-pong! It's like one of those sports that they, ya know, actually win in. I'd have ta pay a hefty price for that one.

OMG! 2 hours and 22 mins!

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
Those 2000 martial artist thing was awsome, haha, Chinese Opra! I just recorded a two minute countdown to the beginning of the Olympics on one of those countdown things in Beijing! I'm gonna put it on Youtube soon, even though it's nothing special. After that I'm gonna record some of Beijing, which I am definitely putting on Youtube. Gonna keep watching now.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Aren't the girls in white jumping up and down tired yet? Expecting them all to go to the doctors tomorrow with shattered ankles.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ahahaa, that's what my family and I are all wondering. Feel sorry for the poor lil cheerleader-ish girls. They're slowing down a bit now though. xD

The opening was pretty freaking epic, everything was just so co-ordinated. :]

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
Hehe. Theres Canada! The cheer leader girls ar getting more tired, they're just kinda bouncing now. Wait, I hear Bagpipes!

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
USA! USA! USA!

To be honest, I actually watch for the events, not the countries. In that case, I'm rooting for the 800m, 1500m, marathon, singles skeet, 10k bike, 100m freestyle, and high dive.

P.S. I understand opening ceremonies are at 8:00 pm on 8/8/08.
Because the Chinese believe that 8 is a lucky number, thus they want to have the Olympics start on the day with the most 8's. At least that's what my mom told me, lol. And it's also the same day as Chinese Father's Day.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Aren't the girls in white jumping up and down tired yet? Expecting them all to go to the doctors tomorrow with shattered ankles.
And apparently it's boiling hot there, so they're going to be exhausted.

And I just laughed when they started playing Scotland the Brave, it just seemed really out of place. The bagpipers seem to be getting more songs than anyone else too.

Oh look! There's Great Britain!

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
It's not so hot here. really. I just went outside to check. Not THAT bad. I thought the chinese lucky number was 9. Cuz 9x9 makes 81, something to do with a legend...

Yesterday was Chinese valentines day btw.

Ooo brass instruments.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It actually started at 8 past 8.

EDIT: There's us! GOOOO AUSTRALIA!

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
How many times do they plan on running around and lighting those torches? GET ON WITH IT!

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
light the torch! light the torch! light the torch! I swear they did this how many times tonight did they light a torch?

FINALLY. Dude that guy is running gonna have to run around the entire Birds Nest. Any second now... He's going up! I can see the string and every thing.WO THAT IS A FANCY WAY TO LIGHT THE TORCH! it was like, zwoosh!

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
^ well, patience my friend, after all this event only comes every four years so enjoy it while it's still on

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
That was definetly a Torch-lighting to remember.

Speaking of which, how did they light it in Athens?

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
Is anyone watching? The Parade of Nations is pretty cool.
and LOL they showed George Bush in the stands and he was all slouching and he looked bored and uninterested.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
My uncle actually coached most of the better US rowers..

They didn't make the team because of some stupid politics/fueds, so I'm for china in rowing.

Mostly just watching the events, I guess USA since thats where I live =P

Rooting doesn't help them anyways =[

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
Well that was cool, I just finished watching the pre ceremony thing. The torch lighting was AWESOME. spoiler:
It involves levitation, the guy gets lifted up and airwalks around the stadium. Then it's lit on a huge torch on a tower followed by fireworks.

There's more coming on at 2:30am, why I don't know.

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
Just saw the weight lifting competition. China did GOOD.

Cheap_Josh: Yeah I like the torch thing too. It was like a fuse, except it burnt abruptly instead of slowly. Zwoosh!

You know what's really cool? I could hear a low rumbling noise coming from the direction of the Birds nest. Seriously, I'm amazed the sound could travel that far, then again I'm not too far away from the Nest either. It was still cool.

Top Bottom