• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2008 Olympics

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
it's just "teams"; there's no vault teams or anything like that

I don't see how the Americans got screwed by the judges in the team competition; did you not see Sacramone fall twice? And we still got a medal, so no medal "lost" here...

I also don't think Liukin's performance was clearly better than Kexin's on the uneven bars. Even when they interviewed Liukin, she didn't seem to think 2nd place was unfair (at least not until she found out that their scores were tied, but the implication here is that if Kexin's score was just straight up higher, she was completely fine with it). Plus, she got a medal anyway, so I don't see how we lost a medal here either...

The judges don't make the tiebreak rule btw, that's put into place by the governing body and, while stupid, was a previously known entity, such that no one got 'screwed'

and don't quote Karolyi as a source for scoring mishaps; he is as homerific as they come
If anyone should know about how unfair scoring in gymnastics is, it would be Bela.

Kexin may have done better on bars, but her medal will be stripped from her and given to Nastia if they find solid proof that she's underage. Her passport can say one thing, while government documents can say another. If the committee wanted to take the time to find out if she was underage, they would check things like her birth certificate, school records, etc. They should be able to get their hands on things like that.

And not only Kexin, but the other two who might be as well.

pockyD

Smash Legend
If anyone should know about how unfair scoring in gymnastics is, it would be Bela.

Kexin may have done better on bars, but her medal will be stripped from her and given to Nastia if they find solid proof that she's underage. Her passport can say one thing, while government documents can say another. If the committee wanted to take the time to find out if she was underage, they would check things like her birth certificate, school records, etc. They should be able to get their hands on things like that.

And not only Kexin, but the other two who might be as well.
The passport IS a government document... if some other document contradicts it, how can you conclusively say that the passport is wrong while the other one is right?

And even if the government did in fact forge the passport, what's keeping them from forging corroborating documents?

Fact is, whether they are truly under-aged or not, aside from unprecedented medical testing to determine age (which I don't know for sure exists, but I can only assume does based on the level of modern medicine), there will be no way to prove it. If "official" documentation is good enough for all the other athletes, how can the Olympics governing body suddenly claim that it's not good enough for China? Are they going to have to do this hypothetical age test (which once again, I don't know if it actually exists, but for all I know, could be ridiculously expensive even if it does) on every single competitor?

It's easy for us as spectators to cry "she's clearly under-aged!", but it takes proof beyond reasonable doubt to take action on the matter, and I don't think that we can expect that type of evidence to be obtained.

...and on an unrelated note, the rule is dumb anyway. That's not to say that China shouldn't have played by the rules (if they do 'prove' their ages are illegal, then the medals should indeed be stripped), but in reality, the rule should get axed. If you can perform at the highest level, good for you.

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
I'm getting ready to go to the Bird's Nest to see the track and Field Finals. That's right finals. Have no idea how my luck has allowed me this privilage, but whatever. So excited. Tickets costed me 3000 yuen, but it's worth it. Can't wait, hope tickets aren't fakes.

*Shakes in excitement*

Track and field Finals, here I come!

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
I'm getting ready to go to the Bird's Nest to see the track and Field Finals. That's right finals. Have no idea how my luck has allowed me this privilage, but whatever. So excited. Tickets costed me 3000 yuen, but it's worth it. Can't wait, hope tickets aren't fakes.

*Shakes in excitement*

Track and field Finals, here I come!
Awesome! Hopefully you take some pictures.

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
Belgium won gold! Hooray!
I was there to see it all at the Birds Nest, standing next to the a man and a woman holding beers screaming something in Belgiun. It was awsome. If you see a kid with a camera and binoculars standing next to two a screaming drunk couple in the spectator stands, that was me!

Also, if you see some random kid scream : "Deutschland!" in the spectator stands, that was me as well. ( I thought I saw Germany when I saw the Belgium flag. A few people around me looked at me in a funny way.)

If you see some random chinese kid in the singing to the US' national anthem, that might be me!

My seating was:

At the Bird's Nest
Sector A
Tier 3
Aisle 604
Row 26
Seat 23

lol, I WAZ T3H T0PTIER IN TEH BIRD'S N3ST!!!!1111

literally. :laugh:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Just saw the finals on Tai-kwan-do (sp) and the 2004 winner just kicked and punched one of the judges at the end of a match. Sounds like he and his coach have been banned for life.

EDIT:Cuba's Angel Valodia Matos was banned for life from taekwondo on Saturday after he kicked the match referee in the head in his bronze medal bout, a tournament official said. Matos's coach was also banned for the behavior that the official said was in "strong violation of the spirit of taekwondo and the Olympic Games".

http://www.reuters.com/article/GCA-Olympics/idUSPEK31487720080823

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Anyone else thinks that there are way too many sports in the Olympics that shouldn't be there? I mean, for me, the Olympics mean competitions where they put the human body to the test, push it to the limits and exceed them. Nothing more. So screw football(soccer), tennis, handball, baseball(was already the last time so that's good) tabletennis(what the hell) and all the other sports that are not about exceeding the limits of the human body. And all the judge involved sports too. Just plain athletics, swimming, triathlon and stuff like that should be called the Olympics.

But maybe I shouldn't be saying this because I think most of the Dutch medals were won in the sports I'm not wanting in the Olympics :p. We've won the Woman Hockey, Woman Water Polo, the Horse dance thingy sport so yeah, if my idea is put through we wouldn't win much anymore :p.

Anyone else thinks this or am I just insane?

Jamin

Smash Rookie
China because they have 11 yea-, no wait it's 14, no 16 year olds winning gold medals.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
Anyone else thinks that there are way too many sports in the Olympics that shouldn't be there? I mean, for me, the Olympics mean competitions where they put the human body to the test, push it to the limits and exceed them. Nothing more. So screw football(soccer), tennis, handball, baseball(was already the last time so that's good) tabletennis(what the hell) and all the other sports that are not about exceeding the limits of the human body. And all the judge involved sports too. Just plain athletics, swimming, triathlon and stuff like that should be called the Olympics.

But maybe I shouldn't be saying this because I think most of the Dutch medals were won in the sports I'm not wanting in the Olympics :p. We've won the Woman Hockey, Woman Water Polo, the Horse dance thingy sport so yeah, if my idea is put through we wouldn't win much anymore :p.

Anyone else thinks this or am I just insane?
I really only questioned the ribbon twirling thing. I don't think it's about exceeding body strength or whatever, I think it's more about competition.

Word on the street, The Olympics is almost over. Only a few events left such as US vs Cuba in Baseball.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Also apparently London's going to be more fun. I think it's pretty certain that it's going to be, even the British commentators agree on that.

EDIT:

Here we go Britain! Wooo London! Wooo Boris Johnston!

Is everyone seeing those cutaways to London, or is that only us?

Listen to the music suddenly perking up now! Hurrah! Oh wow look at this! I'm liking our handover already!

Sporkman

Smash Ace
For a Scot you're rather optimistic about something British. I like it.

Also apparently London's going to be more fun. I think it's pretty certain that it's going to be, even the British commentators agree on that.
Watch out, people are going to see you coming.

I'm a bit more traditional, I expect the London olympics to be a complete sham like the recent previous attempts at building sporting facilities, Wembley, the roof at Wimbledon, etc. How are we suppoed to top Beijing anyway? China has pretty much limitless wealth and manpower at the moment.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Watch out, people are going to see you coming.
I'm not sure what you mean, if you've been listening to the comentators, they said everyone's expecting the London Olympics to be more fun.

I'm a bit more traditional, I expect the London olympics to be a complete sham like the recent previous attempts at building sporting facilities, Wembley, the roof at Wimbledon, etc. How are we suppoed to top Beijing anyway? China has pretty much limitless wealth and manpower at the moment.
We don't need to top it, if it's anything like the handover ceremony with Leona Lewis and Jimmy Page, then it'll be great! :bee:

I rather enjoyed that handover ceremony, I never realised I was this patriotic. :laugh:

Sporkman

Smash Ace
I'm talking about commentators contracted to a british televising company saying the London games are going to be more fun. Taking that straight up without a pinch of salt is like buying a crap over-priced product because the person you bought it from said you'd be getting a bargain.

Jimmy Page was in the closing ceremony? Maybe I should've watched.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I'm talking about commentators contracted to a british televising company saying the London games are going to be more fun. Taking that straight up without a pinch of salt is like buying a crap over-priced product because the person you bought it from said you'd be getting a bargain.

Jimmy Page was in the closing ceremony? Maybe I should've watched.
Yeah, though I think they were meaning with the partying part of the London Olympics. Britain is more relaxed on these kind of things it seems.

And the bit with the London Bus was really good, you'll probably be able to find it on YouTube later. It's only 8 minutes long.

But ooo this modern bit with the Chinese is quite good too. But wait are they miming? Look, Jackie Chan, that's quite cool.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Hey Austrailians, how's it going over there?
Hey, just because you're spending your tea and scones money on sports for this and next years olympics doesn't mean you're that hot. ;)

But ooo this modern bit with the Chinese is quite good too. But wait are they miming? Look, Jackie Chan, that's quite cool.
He didn't pop out of a podium holding a Mastercard, was he?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I didn't like the handover ceremony at all.

In fact, I hated it.

The rest of the ceremony was great though.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I found the ending cerimoney's singing annoying, exsept for Jakie chan, cause that was funny to see.

Still wish NYcity won the 2012 games, I could of easly gotten there.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I don't know why anyone would watch the Olympics when they could just play Mario and Sonic @ the Olympics

1) You can watch it anytime you want to
2) The athletes are people we know and love
3) It's like you're part of the action

:D

Top Bottom