• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2008 Olympics

Zicore

Smash Champion
USA is by far the best country. All around. we average a medal in almost every event.

Go Michael Phelps. He is gonna own those next 2 events.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
Did yall hear about that Swedish bronze medalist that got pissed and threw his medal on the ground and walked out? I think it was because of the judges.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
U.S.A. FTW!, it's undeniable that U.S.A is winning the most of the metals as of now, but yea I can't wait for the weighlifting event

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Did yall hear about that Swedish bronze medalist that got pissed and threw his medal on the ground and walked out? I think it was because of the judges.
I think he said that if he didn't win, then the Olympics were worthless to him. Real nice behavior for being 3rd best in the world.

Amide

Smash Lord
Never thought about that before... But the gymnast is more attractive in my opinion.

_____

While I'm glad USA won 100Fly, I wanted Crocker to win. Still, I think it's cool that history is being made.

crosser43

Smash Journeyman
Michael Phelps, wow, who just watched the 100 m butterfly? Wow, truly a great race, phelps won by 1 one hundredths of a second to get his 7th medal wow. Not a fan of US, but Phelps is an amazing athlete. He will win the next event to get Olympic record 8 medals, beating Mark Spitz!!!!!

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Did anyone else see this resemblance last night during women's gymnastics?

Or was is just me?
Shawn's definitely cuter. <3

Phelps was so close to getting 2nd, but pushed it out THAT much more to win.

Insanity.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
*yawn*

Baseball is so boring. D;

Also, lol, I think Nastia is cuter than Shawn. :3

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The Olympics bores me. I used to watch it as a kid to fall asleep to, but Phelps is phenomenal.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
i think Nastia is a lot more attractive than Shawn, who looks like a cute little ****** chipmunk. but ive also developed a nice affection for Misty May-Treanor

also, if youre not motivated by Michael Phelps, then i dont know what to say to you.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
I really do not think either Nastia or Shawn are all that attractive.

What is attractive, however, is Michael Phelps stealing that gold medal. My friends and I watched that race during our fantasy football draft and went nuts when it said he won. The slow-motion replays were crazy, I don't know how he reached out that quickly.

I really want to see him get that eighth gold.

Amide

Smash Lord
The thing that's bothering to me though, is that if the USA wins the relay, it's more like "Michael Phelps won!" than the other three guys.

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
I'm pretty disappointed with NBC's coverage of the Olympics this year. They barely show any sports during prime time. It's all just heart-wrenching, tear-jerking, nauseatingly saccharine stories about the athletes. I couldn't care less about that. I want to see the sports. And NBC hasn't been delivering on that front, at least on the main channel.

CNBC, MSNBC, USA, and Telemundo have had a better selection of the sports without the bloat I think. But you never know when you're going to get sports and when you're going to get something else on those channels.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
I'm pretty disappointed with NBC's coverage of the Olympics this year. They barely show any sports during prime time. It's all just heart-wrenching, tear-jerking, nauseatingly saccharine stories about the athletes. I couldn't care less about that. I want to see the sports. And NBC hasn't been delivering on that front, at least on the main channel.
Tell me about it, I turned it on and they were talking about the freakin Pandas.
And some of the coverage came on real late like three in the morning.

Mr.Lombardi34

Smash Ace
Yeah, NBC is only covering Gymnastics, Swimming and Volleyball. They rarely give us anything else! And then, when none of those are available, they fill the gap with a segment about china or one of the athletes. It's getting a little annoying after a week or so.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Yeah, NBC is only covering Gymnastics, Swimming and Volleyball. They rarely give us anything else! And then, when none of those are available, they fill the gap with a segment about china or one of the athletes. It's getting a little annoying after a week or so.
At least swimming's over after tonight, and they'll start showing track and field.

It's not horribly boring.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I actually enjoyed seeing the Soccer Olympics, I must say it was fun to watch since I'm like a huge fan of that sport.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Well, 8 Medals for Phelps. I'm would've been skeptical if someone told me before the Olympics, thinking that he was going to to well, but it was just a patriotric dream. But Phelps really was the miracle man this time around, and I bet his teammates pulled out all the stops to help him reach his goal. That kind of teamwork is just awe inspiringly amazing.

The announcers were great, they didn't just focus on Phelps, even if this was his moment, they noted everyone's accomplishments, even the other country's athletes. They even noted that, you never know... another Phelps might be just around the corner. It's that even hand that makes me respect them so much better than the gymnastics announcers (who were horrible), or the track announcers (who completely cut out Dibaba, the winner of the 10000 Meters in world record time, the moment Flanagan snagged third).

It was a surprisingly close race up to Phelps, but the moment Lesak (is that you spell it?) touched the water it was over. He just overtook everyone. I even had a "they did it!" moment when he pulled ahead, and I rarely have those for my country.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
Man that Jamaican guy, he just dominated everyone and broke a world record at 9.69 (in a 100meter sprint race). He didn't even cross the finish line and he started slowing down, that's how fast he was. He was 15 meters ahead of everyone. USA came in 3rd.

But wtf the previous-page poster is right, all the NBC coverage cares about is the winner and USA. They didn't even mention 2nd place guy AT ALL.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Bolt is once again the world's fastest man he's even faster than before! It's awe inspiring how easy he makes it look, if you watch him while he raced, you can tell that he probably could've done it in less. He's a master of speed, and I can only just be awestruck... As Dix said, "that man can run!" He left everyone behind, that's for sure. You could just tell he was going to blow that record away.

But wtf the previous-page poster is right, all the NBC coverage cares about is the winner and USA. They didn't even mention 2nd place guy AT ALL.
And that's on one of the most international-intensive events of all. On events that are less charged, they sometimes don't mention anyone but USA... especially if we don't medal. I don't remember them doing this to this extent before, either...

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
Phelps is an icon.
Everyone cheered for him at the Ravens stadium and lol this guy's talking about his Facebook friends.
He diserves all of this and congrats to him and his team.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Oh my god. Phelps is amazing.

He is like unstoppable.

<3

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
That Jamaican guy could pwn Phelps. Got 9.69 in the 100m when he jogged the last 30m.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I was saying in terms of athleticness. Like, if they had some sort of gauge to measure how athletic you were, Jamaican guy would be beyond Phelps.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Running 9.69 while jogging is insane. Don't get me wrong -- Phelps is amazing as well -- just that the Jamaican guys one feat, easily broke Phelp's eight.

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
Running 9.69 while jogging is insane. Don't get me wrong -- Phelps is amazing as well -- just that the Jamaican guys one feat, easily broke Phelp's eight.
I was saying in terms of athleticness. Like, if they had some sort of gauge to measure how athletic you were, Jamaican guy would be beyond Phelps.
That Jamaican guy could pwn Phelps. Got 9.69 in the 100m when he jogged the last 30m.
That jamaican guy is called Usain Bolt

Top Bottom