• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2008 Olympics

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Alrighty, the most recent US match aside, the boxing scoring system really is wonky. Over half the matches I've seen have had me thinking that it shouldn't've gone that way. People were getting points when they didn't deserve it, not getting points when they did, and no points were given in general when someone should have taken notice. Probably because boxing isn't usually about what they're testing for, and most styles of fighting fall flat thanks to the scoring system. Other times it just seems arbitrary.

The most recent US match (the boxer's name i can't remember right now) was just the icing on the cake. He had to stay inside because, the way the Korean was stanced, staying out and jabbing would've been just wasting punches. So he stayed inside, but on every flurry the Korean was the only one who got any points, and his many successful hits were ignored. He's one of the first who got a chance to say anything about it (others just walked out and just forgot about it, annoyed. There was a Cuban boxer who just waved his wand in disgust and walked out), and everything he said afterward was true.

M.K

Level 55
I was absolutely ROFL'ing during the Men's 1500 meter swimming.
No offense to any Australians of course, but the "Australian Super Bowl" was quite the upset.
The Australian who was going for the "3-Time win" was comfortably in second behind the Canadian for about 1/2 of the race.
The Tunisian guy swims out in front right after the halfway mark, but the announcers make just a slight hint at it. "Don't worry, the Australian guy will make his move with about 6 laps to go".
6 Laps to go, Tunisian still in the lead.
5 Laps.
4 Laps. "He's got to make his move now!"
3 Laps.
2 Laps. "WHAT IS HE DOING?"
1 Lap.
Tunisia wins.

Also, the announcers for the gymnastics are SO UNBEARABLE. The guy is just such a ***** about every single little **** up. "OMG EPIC PROPORTION MISTAKE BWAAAAAAA". It's like SHUT UP!

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
Women's 100m dash.
Gold - Jamaica
Silver - Jamaica
Bronze - Jamaica
Wasn't that two silvers because they tied? However it worked out, that was a fantastic race. How cute was Shelly-Ann Fraser when she won? She got so unbelievably excited and overwhelmed. Definitely my favorite moment of the Olympics so far.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
I didn't know they tied, but I guess it would be if that's the case. And yeah her smile is contagious, I don't think I've seen anyone so happy in the Olympics before.

On another note, it's 2:10am and the Olympics are on...

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
Hellz yeah at Australia completely ****** the second-favourite to win Lithuania in basketball. Sure, it's not a medal or anything (yet) but it's still an awesome win. Also, Emma Snowsill owned the triathlon. Hard.

Btw, I was completely unsurprised by the men's 1500 swim. I knew from the start that we wouldn't win it and didn't have any hopes at all that we could. My faith in the Australian men's swim team has been lost for a few years, now. We just aren't as good as the rest of my country thinks we are.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
We just aren't as good as the rest of my country thinks we are.
I don't think we're good. But yes we completely ***** the triathlon and the *s******* sailing *s*******

lol you can't type sni.gger, it's like giggling people!

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Cheap Josh said:
Women's 100m dash.
Gold - Jamaica
Silver - Jamaica
Silver - Jamaica
fix'd: they next two runners came in on the exact hundredth of a second

On another note I agree with sugarpoultry whole heartedly

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Anybody see Nastia and the Chinese gymnast get the same score on uneven bars? The Chinese girl won when they went into 1,000's of a second. The tie breaking rule is whack.

Gymnastic scoring in general is whack.

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
The Gymnastics themselves is whack, both the Women and Men's were disappointing. Did you see that Brazilian guy? And I heard one of the girls got robbed of their score over some crap or something.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Gymnastics felt rigged to me. The Chinese would step out of bounds or fall or something, and they would get like a 16. USA would do a perfect flawless routine and get 15. Grrr that made me so mad.

Mr.Lombardi34

Smash Ace
Gymnastics felt rigged to me. The Chinese would step out of bounds or fall or something, and they would get like a 16. USA would do a perfect flawless routine and get 15. Grrr that made me so mad.
Yeah, I really didn't think some of the gymnastics scores were fair throughout the competition. Like in the Women's all around when Nastia did that amazingly perfect vault and she got a low score. And of course, last night was just awful. First of all, Nastia did better in the first place, and should have had a higher score, and second, I'd really like to know why they can't have a tie in gymnastics. The whole tie breaking system is screwed up if you ask me.

M.K

Level 55
Gymnastics...I used to be able to understand the scoring, but it seems like no matter WHO performs the perfect routine, it is ONLY China and MAYBE USA who receives about a 16.

Of course, the Vault.....the Americans should NOT be complaining. I'm a springboard diver, and this situation comes up SO many times.

Ok, you can do a perfect front dive tuck. That gets a degree of difficulty of 1.3
Then someone else can perform a front double flip tuck (degree of difficulty is 2.2)and go in very awkwardly, yet receive BETTER score because that was a HARDER dive to ATTEMPT.

But the uneven bars...that was a TRAVESTY....what a shame, Chinese communistic Olympics for the LOSE!

cheap_josh

Smash Ace
What happened was that the silver and bronze both got the same score but ties aren't allowed for olympic gymnastics. So the judges changed the score. That's the only reason the third place girl got third place.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, at least they can't mess with the swim team. And US has won more metals than any other country in this Olympics. Even if they took Phelps out, we'd still be ahead. ;)

pockyD

Smash Legend
What happened was that the silver and bronze both got the same score but ties aren't allowed for olympic gymnastics. So the judges changed the score. That's the only reason the third place girl got third place.
that's not what happened at all - they didn't 'change' the score, they just went to tie-breaking procedures using already inputted scores, which is pretty standard when the event doesn't want to award a tie (though i don't see what's wrong with a tie). Not unlike tiebreakers for nfl playoffs, etc.

i personally don't think there was any bias in the uneven bars; how could any crooked (or even two) judge(s) anticipate the other judges' scores in such a way to discreetly exploit such a bizarre tiebreaker?

The rule itself is stupid, but it was there before the competition; there's no reason to complain about it now - it's "fair"

the vault was a different story though =\

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
The Olympics is getting really boring and repetitive for me. All i'm seeing is the same old thing: Gymnastics, Running, Swimming/Diving and Volleyball.They're great and all but I wish they would show some other events like table tennis or weight lifting or even high jump. I switch over to the french channel so I can have this variety, but I have no idea what the people are talking about and it sucks. >;(

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
did you guys know Swimmer Michael Phephs from the U.S swimming team has made history in the olympics by winning eight Gold metal, who no one previously accomplished before, he even beat Mark Spitz record of seven Gold metals 36 years ago.

I must say i'm glad the U.S is at the top right next to China which for me it's a good thing because I root for U.S,A all the way!, to bad Mexico has only won just one lousy Bronze metal which sucks because I wanted to see them near the top, but oh well at least U.S isn't losing

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
The Olympics is getting really boring and repetitive for me. All i'm seeing is the same old thing: Gymnastics, Running, Swimming/Diving and Volleyball.They're great and all but I wish they would show some other events like table tennis or weight lifting or even high jump. I switch over to the french channel so I can have this variety, but I have no idea what the people are talking about and it sucks. >;(
You can watch all those online, and at certain times during the day they do show them. Course, I don't know if you get NBC with the US coverage or not, and I have no clue how your Canadian stations show the Olympics, so I dunno.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
You can watch all those online, and at certain times during the day they do show them. Course, I don't know if you get NBC with the US coverage or not, and I have no clue how your Canadian stations show the Olympics, so I dunno.
Its sort of a family thing. It'll be hilarious, but uncomfortable, to have your entire family crouching together to watch it on the computer. xD

Amide

Smash Lord
I know what you mean. I hate how you miss out on really cool and interesting sports because they're unpopular. Some time I'll actually have to look at a schedule.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Its sort of a family thing. It'll be hilarious, but uncomfortable, to have your entire family crouching together to watch it on the computer. xD
I agree. We watched it at Buzz's parents house for the first week, but now that we're back and cable-less, we have to watch it on the internet. :(

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
I think it's about time I become nominated as the luckiest man on Smasboards, Cuz I JUST GOT TWO TICKETS FOR AN OLYMPIC BOXING MATCH!!!

That's right! I'm going to see an actual match! Me and my uncle were just roaming around the borders of the Olympic village when we saw this huge crowd. It ends up people were selling Olympic ticket there, and me and my uncle managed to buy two for a Boxing match at 7 pm today.

It costed 600 yuen, but ****, who cares! I'm gonna see a Olympic game! I had no idea people are still selling tickets. Now I'm excited. Can't wait! I wonder which countries are competing...

The most epic part was how I FOUND the ticket sellers.

We were walking around the Olympic village, when suddenly water started gushing out of the ground.

Me and my uncle were like: "What the fu**?" We watched it for two minute as the amount of water coming from the ground increased, and a small flowing stream of water was formed. I even got to record it with my camera :). (Definitly putting it on Youtube!) Anyways, we watched for a bit longer, and the road was beginning to bulge and warp. It was freaky. The water pressure kept on increasing , so me and my uncle decided to leave, just incase the bridge collapsed or exploded or something. We followed the stream of water, and eventually found a huge crowd standing right next to the end of the stream. Me and my uncle went to investigate, found the ticket seller, bought 2 tickets, and here I am, holding 2 tickets getting ready to watch an Olympic Boxing match!

This is the most magical thing eva. The possibility of seeing a sewage pipe burst AND finding tickets for a Olympic boxing match is so.... I don't know how to explain how thrilled I feel now.

nakedsnake

Smash Journeyman
I think it's about time I become nominated as the luckiest man on Smasboards, Cuz I JUST GOT TWO TICKETS FOR AN OLYMPIC BOXING MATCH!!!

That's right! I'm going to see an actual match! Me and my uncle were just roaming around the borders of the Olympic village when we saw this huge crowd. It ends up people were selling Olympic ticket there, and me and my uncle managed to buy two for a Boxing match at 7 pm today.

It costed 600 yuen, but ****, who cares! I'm gonna see a Olympic game! I had no idea people are still selling tickets. Now I'm excited. Can't wait! I wonder which countries are competing...

The most epic part was how I FOUND the ticket sellers.

We were walking around the Olympic village, when suddenly water started gushing out of the ground.

Me and my uncle were like: "What the fu**?" We watched it for two minute as the amount of water coming from the ground increased, and a small flowing stream of water was formed. I even got to record it with my camera :). (Definitly putting it on Youtube!) Anyways, we watched for a bit longer, and the road was beginning to bulge and warp. It was freaky. The water pressure kept on increasing , so me and my uncle decided to leave, just incase the bridge collapsed or exploded or something. We followed the stream of water, and eventually found a huge crowd standing right next to the end of the stream. Me and my uncle went to investigate, found the ticket seller, bought 2 tickets, and here I am, holding 2 tickets getting ready to watch an Olympic Boxing match!

This is the most magical thing eva. The possibility of seeing a sewage pipe burst AND finding tickets for a Olympic boxing match is so.... I don't know how to explain how thrilled I feel now.
F@#$ you :mad:
Ha just joking with you have fun

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
They've put table tennis on MSNBC; I saw the American vs. the Nigerian. Don't know who won though.

Shawn Johnson won gold on the beam! She did great, with Nastia right behind in silver. Their Olympics are over now, so I guess they just watch the other games.

OmegaXXII

gosh! now i'm jeulous, hope you take lots of pictures and post them here *goes to bed sad*

as for me, I just watch the olympics on my local NBC, at least from where I live in anyway which is Texas, so I have no problem watching it, it would be a bummer having to forciably watch it online rather having the choice of doing so.

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
that's not what happened at all - they didn't 'change' the score, they just went to tie-breaking procedures using already inputted scores, which is pretty standard when the event doesn't want to award a tie (though i don't see what's wrong with a tie). Not unlike tiebreakers for nfl playoffs, etc.

i personally don't think there was any bias in the uneven bars; how could any crooked (or even two) judge(s) anticipate the other judges' scores in such a way to discreetly exploit such a bizarre tiebreaker?

The rule itself is stupid, but it was there before the competition; there's no reason to complain about it now - it's "fair"

the vault was a different story though =\
During the Olympics judges are selected by country, not experience. Thats why were having all of these out of the ordinary scores in gymnastics. If they had experienced judges during the Olympics similar to the judges of the USA Gymnastics Olympic trials, we would have came out of the gymnastics portion with 3 more metals. Also the International Olympic Committee has to do some investigating about those ages of the Chinese gymnasts.

pockyD

Smash Legend
During the Olympics judges are selected by country, not experience. Thats why were having all of these out of the ordinary scores in gymnastics. If they had experienced judges during the Olympics similar to the judges of the USA Gymnastics Olympic trials, we would have came out of the gymnastics portion with 3 more metals. Also the International Olympic Committee has to do some investigating about those ages of the Chinese gymnasts.
What three extra "metals" could we have had? I count one - Sacramone on the vault, because seriously, that was a travesty. Please don't gloss over this issue, I really really really want to hear your list, especially since the USA only had four gymnasts that didn't medal in events they qualified for. Do you think Artemev deserved an all-around medal or something? Or that he deserved a medal after falling off the pommel horse in event finals?

Seriously, count me off the 3 "metals" that we lost

OmegaXXII

whoo! about time Mexico got a Gold Metal in Taekandoe (sorry can't spell this), they may still be at the bottom but least now Mexico can say they at least got a gold metal.

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
What three extra "metals" could we have had? I count one - Sacramone on the vault, because seriously, that was a travesty. Please don't gloss over this issue, I really really really want to hear your list, especially since the USA only had four gymnasts that didn't medal in events they qualified for. Do you think Artemev deserved an all-around medal or something? Or that he deserved a medal after falling off the pommel horse in event finals?

Seriously, count me off the 3 "metals" that we lost
First the all around for the girls gymnastics, second Lukin's un even bars, and finally Sacramone on the vault. The female Chinese gymnasts all had their scores inflated. It was blatantly obvious that the judges weren't deducting points for the balance checks and steps. It was unbelievable, and even Bela Korolyi said, "I couldn't believe what I was seeing." In addition to the numerous comments of the broadcasters. Also the International Olympic Committee just launched probe into Chinese gymnast He Kexin's age. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article4583174.ece

Mr.Lombardi34

Smash Ace
First the all around for the girls gymnastics, second Lukin's un even bars, and finally Sacramone on the vault. The female Chinese gymnasts all had their scores inflated. It was blatantly obvious that the judges weren't deducting points for the balance checks and steps. It was unbelievable, and even Bela Korolyi said, "I couldn't believe what I was seeing." In addition to the numerous comments of the broadcasters. Also the International Olympic Committee just launched probe into Chinese gymnast He Kexin's age. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/olympics/article4583174.ece
Dude, you know Nastia and Shawn got Gold and Silver respectively in the all around, right?

That makes 2 times we placed lower than we should have.

pockyD

Smash Legend
it's just "teams"; there's no vault teams or anything like that

I don't see how the Americans got screwed by the judges in the team competition; did you not see Sacramone fall twice? And we still got a medal, so no medal "lost" here...

I also don't think Liukin's performance was clearly better than Kexin's on the uneven bars. Even when they interviewed Liukin, she didn't seem to think 2nd place was unfair (at least not until she found out that their scores were tied, but the implication here is that if Kexin's score was just straight up higher, she was completely fine with it). Plus, she got a medal anyway, so I don't see how we lost a medal here either...

The judges don't make the tiebreak rule btw, that's put into place by the governing body and, while stupid, was a previously known entity, such that no one got 'screwed'

and don't quote Karolyi as a source for scoring mishaps; he is as homerific as they come

Top Bottom