• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2007 MLG Smash Series: MELEE-FC Diamond: Pools and CANDY in first post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KishSquared

Smash Master
so whats up with the prize pot? im no rocket scientist, but with 256 entrants, the prizes should be ridiculously big.
Prizes are huge, yes, but don't expect them to be astronomical. We're using the extra money in other areas as well, such as getting nicer/more food, more TVs, etc... We prefer to use extra money for the benefit of all rather than giving it all to the person who gets first place.

That said, we'll have over $8000 to distribute into the pot. You can check the target prizes in the info packet, though they should be a bit higher than what's printed.

darkrain

Smash Ace
It costs 11 thousand dollars to run this tournament? Wow...

and I thought MLG sponsorship meant more prize money? It doesn't seem like they are helping any of the finances.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Well, we could sure give a lot of money away if we put it ALL into prizes :)

As it is, though, we're paying for:
7 meals per person
Security
34 rental TVs

And LOTS of other little stuff, including the venue itself, website fees, office supplies, Gamecube discounts, etc....

However, that being said, I think we're actually closer to $10,000 in prizes. Either way, we won't know final numbers until a few days before the event.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Don't start jumping to your calculators looking for flaws. The Kishes know what they're doing, and do not take any of the fees as profit for themselves. There's a lot of other fees behind a tournament like this, including the rental fee of the church, the cost of security, food for 256 people for 3 days, and TV rentals.

Edit: What Squared said.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Haha, yeah, it's time for the token "OMGolly the Kishes are keeping teh monies!?!!" series of posts that happens around this time each year :)

Thanks for the support, Omni. Honestly, if anyone thinks they're getting ripped off, they can ask for a refund. There are PLENTY of people that would LOVE to come if a ticket became available!

Still, to settle your minds, we've always sold FC as an experience, not as a horde of prize money. When we ended up with 50 extra people, we immediately asked ourselves how we could use the extra money to make everyone happier. Very little of it went into prizes. That's our mentality towards the tournament.

If you want a tournament that doesn't offer housing, food, quality TVs, friendlies through the night, security guards, etc... there are plenty of tournaments that AREN'T FC that fit that description. However, this is what defines FC, and if you don't want your money going into these things, you shouldn't be coming :)

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
Haha, yeah, it's time for the token "OMGolly the Kishes are keeping teh monies!?!!" series of posts that happens around this time each year :)

Thanks for the support, Omni. Honestly, if anyone thinks they're getting ripped off, they can ask for a refund. There are PLENTY of people that would LOVE to come if a ticket became available!

Still, to settle your minds, we've always sold FC as an experience, not as a horde of prize money. When we ended up with 50 extra people, we immediately asked ourselves how we could use the extra money to make everyone happier. Very little of it went into prizes. That's our mentality towards the tournament.

If you want a tournament that doesn't offer housing, food, quality TVs, friendlies through the night, security guards, etc... there are plenty of tournaments that AREN'T FC that fit that description. However, this is what defines FC, and if you don't want your money going into these things, you shouldn't be coming :)

4 stocked....................

chillindude829

Smash Master
people will be surprised by how much prize money they get, i expect. just because 1st doesnt get a ridiculous amount of money doesnt mean there isn't a lot of prize money.

last year i got 17th place in singles, 2nd in teams and 1st in crews and went home with $600. :D

KishSquared

Smash Master
Sometime I think we should change the name of FC. "For Cash" always comes back to bite us, haha...

FF - For Fun?
FS - For Silliness?

Anyone else have any better ideas?

Sliq

Smash Master
people will be surprised by how much prize money they get, i expect. just because 1st doesnt get a ridiculous amount of money doesnt mean there isn't a lot of prize money.

last year i got 17th place in singles, 2nd in teams and 1st in crews and went home with $600. :D
I still don't know why Smash doesn't just adopt the friggin' payout method that poker uses. I think at least top 5 need to get payed at tourney's with 100 people.

Poker pays out too many places, but I don't think smash pays out enough places. A good rule of thumb would be to just take the poker chart, and cut those who get money in half. 200 people --> top 10

http://www.partypoker.com/tournaments/types_tournament/multi_table/payout_structure.html#Payoff

KishSquared

Smash Master
FC has always paid out to lower places. See the info packet for our plans for this year. Payout's to 8th place.

Also, this isn't FC-related, but MW Circuit is looking at paying out to lower places as well. I completely agree with you, Sliq, that only paying out to top 3 is a bit ridiculous. It was fine back when a LARGE tournament broke 35 people, but still paying out to only top three nowadays seems silly.

LITTLE-KNOWN-HISTORY: Did you know that the low-tier tournament was invented by the Ship of Fools for FC1? Since only doubles and singles were officially held on Friday and Saturday, Thursday was a completely open day. (Crews was held, but they weren't very popular at the time - only 5 crews entered). Therefore, Thursday was made into a "goof-off" day meant for relaxing and hanging out, and a low-tier tournament was held Thursday night to fill the time.

It was held at FC3 mostly for tradition's sake, but it cut into the time of the tournament (thanks for Regional Crews being held as well), making us cancel the regular crew tournament altogether. It should be noted that this was NOT well-received :)

At FC6, we decided not to hold a low-tier tournament in favor of making time for regular crews. It worked out well, so we'll probably not hold an official one this year either.

HOWEVER, if anyone wants to hold one at night, we'll give you TVs to do it!

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Yes, we had a Ship vote to decide if we'd do bottom two tiers or bottom three, since no one had ever held a low-tier tournament before.

We're investing your money in chips to be sold in Mexico, just like at FC3. Find the thread if you don't believe me.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
actually idc who u were **** talking ..... ur just bad at it. that's really all i was saying... that and ur not good at this game son GFS.

fro *insert mediocre trashtalk here* fro

am I as good as you yet?

My point was I wasn't trash talking anyone.

G-reg, I want one of them MMs...$5 or $10, you decide.

Also, low tier tourney should...happen >_>

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Maybe hold a bunch of oddball tournaments all at once, and let players choose?

Smash 64, low-tier tournament, FFA tournament, whatever?

Boo time constraints :(

vZakat

Half Genie
I like beating high tiers with my low tier, not other low tiers with my low tier.

I'd still play in a low tier tourney though.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I'm willing to sell my FC ticket for more than the original price, if there are any takers PM me.
UMMM, how bout full price??? Cause that's against the rules and all :p

$50 dollar MM Luigi vs Sheik? No?
Ka master, you're gross lol. Why did you feel offended in anyway? It's true, any Luigi cept Azen's doesn't stand a chance against Chillin's Fox. It's not like Plank was making fun of you, I mean, it's CHILLIN'S FOX against LUIGI lol. If losing alot of money is your thing, then whatever man. I think if you really felt offended, you should of made a 50 dollar MM with Chillin's Fox to try to prove everyone wrong. Making a MM with Plank doesn't really make much sense, just show's how childish you are by taking offense to stupid things.

This is what he basically said: "No low tier player (cept a godly one like Azen) can beat this guy who's one of the best Fox players in the nation"- Doesn't really sound like an insult to me, especially if addresses people using a low tier character :p

forward

Smash Champion
WTF? Ka master made the $50 dollar bet because he's going to make some money, not like his pride is crushed or something -.-

Wow, I can't wait to watch Ka master **** everybody at this tournament. You guys have no idea. Azen? Get that "i know chillin's style to death now watch me beat him with every character in the game" bull **** outta here, ka master is where it's at.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Everyone wants to make money. But he didn't need to make the MM with Plank and it seems he only did because of Plank's response :p I mean, he could of made it with anyone else.

That "i know chillin's style to death now wach me beat him with every character in the game" made me lol irl , now I wanna see Ka vs Chillin.

I like how most of the EC is apparenty *******s. Don't be surprised if WC doesn't show at this one either, lol.
I guess being better at the game makes you right...
Or just seem like ******* and make people want to avoid you.
Whatever.
Chillin, 5$ Fox ditto MM?

lain

Smash Master
the match can turn either way imo.

luigi has some sick combos on fox. they're just too brutal. and his tech chasing is some of the best.

but fox can shine spike luigi coming back fairly easily. and his usmash and uair kills luigi quite early.

Sooo we have Hylian and Ttemp so far (and Sliq and Tope i assume). am i able to make a thread in the Tournament Discussion area for "Poker at FCD?" would make things easier

BIG C

Smash Master
I like how all of WC can't take a person talking trash over a forum. I don't understand what makes everyone take it so seriously maybe you need to realize that when people know who you are and you are good you gain the right to talk trash freely. Then there are people like me I just talk trash to do it. Everytime I see a trash talk post I just laugh because it's funny. Wow I got insulted over the internet about my skill in a video game I am so offended. Very Tipman vs Dope of WA, WA being Tipman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom