• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

03/17/2007 GIGABITS - Smashing on Saint Patrick's Day

CmRoddy

Smash Journeyman
OH YEAH, any sheik players out there?
i am. although i have only been playing for about 4-5 months, i have gotten pretty good... but still not that good :D so yea. i think i might be the only other Sheik player at this tourney besides Hiroshi.

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
mwarhead pools please!!!!!!!!!!!! i believe (doesnt mean i cant b wrong) most people would rather play the regular single tourney with pools instead of low tiers, n if time is a problem for the pools, we could just do it MLG style which makes the pools go by really quick and according to that everyone will have more matches against all the good people that r gonna b there, it benefits everyone in my opinion, except of course those who main a lowtier character, sry but the prize for low tiers winners isnt even worth the time that is spent on it
****, that $100+ was more then I would have made if I was working that day though! :p

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I agree that gigs should close out for people who aren't smashers...UCF has a lan center anyways, so how much different is it to just go there? I mean, it's a bit different...but still, this is gonna be freakin huge. I really doubt the owner will oblige to that one, though. lol...doesn't seem like any I know would do that.

And you all want low tier doubles to not happen because you are scared of me and Thomas...admit it, the sexiness is too much for all of you. it's true...

Low tier singles should definitely stay...it rewards the people who are ballzy enough to actually main a low tier, such as A-L, Exarch, Bo, Apollo, Zoro, Vzakat and now me.

No pools are necessary for doubles ever...just doesn't matter that much, except at like MLG...

Pools for singles always take a freakin looooooong time, though. that's all I'm really worried about. It takes initiative of the players to be in the right place at the right time without a "head" official supervising them directly...maybe if we all were diligent enough to stay in our area for a while, and maybe let one player play out, then another, and etc to reduce time, then it is possible. Otherwise, the tourney with pools is going to go obscenely long...

I might be for ditching the point system and just randomizing the bracket...have a fail safe so that you wouldn't play your own crew, but everything else is just luck....sure, this isn't preferable in the least, but it's definitely faster...

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I can guarantee the Gigs people aren't going to do pools. Pools would take WAY too ****ing long when there is already gonna be 4 tourneys. I'm not even going to join singles if theres pools cause I know I'd be there till 2 am. Both low tiers should definately stay.

_Riot_

Smash Journeyman
mwarhead pools please!!!!!!!!!!!! i believe (doesnt mean i cant b wrong) most people would rather play the regular single tourney with pools instead of low tiers, n if time is a problem for the pools, we could just do it MLG style which makes the pools go by really quick and according to that everyone will have more matches against all the good people that r gonna b there, it benefits everyone in my opinion, except of course those who main a lowtier character, sry but the prize for low tiers winners isnt even worth the time that is spent on it
singles pot > any other event in this tourny
sorry if that seemed obvious but i dont think many people see that
pools fairly distributes players to give a fair playing field the points system there would be like playing favorites rather than giving everyone a fair shot. from what i remember DF probably has the most points but hypothetically if he were put into a pool and even placed in 2nd seed, it wouldnt be fair because obviously due to his points he'd be placed in top seed if the points system was in effect.

I agree that gigs should close out for people who aren't smashers...UCF has a lan center anyways, so how much different is it to just go there? I mean, it's a bit different...but still, this is gonna be freakin huge. I really doubt the owner will oblige to that one, though. lol...doesn't seem like any I know would do that.

And you all want low tier doubles to not happen because you are scared of me and Thomas...admit it, the sexiness is too much for all of you. it's true...

Low tier singles should definitely stay...it rewards the people who are ballzy enough to actually main a low tier, such as A-L, Exarch, Bo, Apollo, Zoro, Vzakat and now me.

No pools are necessary for doubles ever...just doesn't matter that much, except at like MLG...

Pools for singles always take a freakin looooooong time, though. that's all I'm really worried about. It takes initiative of the players to be in the right place at the right time without a "head" official supervising them directly...maybe if we all were diligent enough to stay in our area for a while, and maybe let one player play out, then another, and etc to reduce time, then it is possible. Otherwise, the tourney with pools is going to go obscenely long...

I might be for ditching the point system and just randomizing the bracket...have a fail safe so that you wouldn't play your own crew, but everything else is just luck....sure, this isn't preferable in the least, but it's definitely faster...
Agreed on the fact that people are ****ing ******** and cant sit in one spot to finish out there rounds in pools. IF MLG style (2 rounds only wins and loses marked and then tallied) which from what i remember goes pretty fast with 6-8 people in a pool. Randomized brackets might be for the best of course knocking out playing your crew the best you can. Not like i think im going home with grand prize here, but im sure everyone who hasnt built up points through giga doesnt want to play that much harder to win while the people with points rack in easy wins.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Agreed on the fact that people are ****ing ******** and cant sit in one spot to finish out there rounds in pools. IF MLG style (2 rounds only wins and loses marked and then tallied) which from what i remember goes pretty fast with 6-8 people in a pool. Randomized brackets might be for the best of course knocking out playing your crew the best you can. Not like i think im going home with grand prize here, but im sure everyone who hasnt built up points through giga doesnt want to play that much harder to win while the people with points rack in easy wins.
Yes, MLG's did go by quickly, but we also had those ref people who walked around making sure everybody was sticking to it...and simply, Gigabits doesn't have that kind of staff, and most of the FL smashers are too lazy themselves...no offense to anybody in particular, I'll include myself in this one.

And yeah, I agree on the points thing...although I'm actually the top seed at gigs, everybody keeps missing that. Basically, what happens is the top four or so seeds will end up playing talented SFLians who haven't attended gigs before. It makes for incredibly hard 1st round fights for both parties, when it technically should be easy for the top seeds...this is a borken concept when more and more of SFL is getting interested in these tourneys every time. Last gigs, I drew Shiz first round...keep in mind I was the #1 seed...that shouldn't happen ever in a points system.

I really think that pools with us would last way too long...the tourney's going to go long probably anyway...and I hope they keep a very tight schedule on it. But I seriously hope that they ditch the point system at least for this one and just randomize it, keeping crew members away from each other. This still lends itself to hard matches for first round...but it's not set in stone...it's more on luck. I think it's just the best option we have here.

PLEASE, WARHEAD OR CECIL, READ THIS POST AND TAKE IT INTO CONSIDERATION. THANKS!

Pritch

Smash Lord
You just gotta get responsible people for pool leaders who'll keep **** straight. I'd gladly volunteer myself to lead one, and I'm sure there are other people who could easily do the same. This whole "fl smashers are lazy" thing is a serious cop-out, it's a generalization and it's bull****, sorry fenrir. There's plenty of people who could easily run a pool.

Besides, all you have to do is say that if you're not there for your pool match it's a loss, and enforce it. Problem solved. I can be a hardass if I need to, and again, I'm sure I'm not the only one who can say that.

As another note, I know there are people who are fans of low tiers and would be very sad to see it go, but honestly, there are only so many hours in a day, and I think I can safely say that the MAJORITY of people are there primarily for the main event. I know it's a new thing and all, and popular with a decent number of people, but it seems that ditching at least low tier doubles in light of the dramatically increased turnout that this tournament is expecting isn't entirely unreasonable.

Zoro

Smash Champion
**** pools

i dont even get the concept
and I was at mlg

too lazy to comprehend

I personally love low tier singles and doubles i think theyre insanely fun for one reason no jiggs..
jk...but seriously i hate jigglypuff.

if one has to go i guess low tier doubles should
i still want it

AND **** UUAA PICKED UP LINK IN A DAY AND PWNS!
im envious

vericz

Smash Champion
lol, yeah uuaa did pick up link but it's just crazy technical like his other characters. Not much to envy since you win more with link.
As for pools, I'm for it but like I said before we have to wait and see.

penguin hardcore

Smash Cadet
i like how people wait until a few days before a tournament and decide the entire format needs to be changed.

it appears im in need of a low tiers partner and possibly a ride, is ther still room in your car pritch? id only need a ride down and not back.

hcbo! noobtest

Sighrax

Smash Lord
Pools with 64 people will take over 4 hours because it's not as organized as MLG. This will be ********. Keep it at randomized brackets, please. Just make sure they are random so I don't drive 2.5 hours just to play Riot or Doodah or Chops.

Low tier DOUBLES would be amazing imo. LT Singles isn't that rare an occurance, LT Doubles is. I say we do LT doubles first then LT Singles after Doubles/Singles. What about crews? ;D

if they scrap low tiers, wouldn't that solve the time issue? why not do low tiers after doubles/singles? as mentioned, the main even is singles so people can just leave if they don't want to do low tiers.

Proteus

Smash Apprentice
Anyone know how many TV's/Cubes there are going to be? Usually there seem to be around 7 or so but if there are 10+ it could go pretty fast no matter what system they decide to use.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Haha people still arguing for pools. It's not going to happen so just give it up. Sighrax is right this isnt MLG and running pools with 60+ people will take insanely long. And you can't drop low tiers 2 days before the tourney because some people want pools, thats rediculous too. Let's be happy with what we have and not try to ruin everything.

skrach8

Smash Lord
Im with pritch, I was a score keeper at LTEC. I have no problem doing it. whats gay, are the *******s that like to be *******s and do friendlies when they have **** to do. Its up to everyone to keep **** running smooth. And the reason MLG got their **** done is cuz they were *****, but it was needed.

So this is my prediction:
No pools cuz no one wants to step up and organize it, everyone who wants low tiers still wants low tiers and gigs doesnt have enough help (unless we help). I do think that the randomizzzzzzzation in singles might happen.

So instead of worrying bout this tourny lets work on the next one. cuz as HXBO says its ***** to late. You feel me?

Lastly to those who main low tiers, more power to you. But you are going to have to learn how to fight higher tier characters sooner or later. so i mean its good practice. Im not hating on low tiers cuz they are pretty fun. But my personal goal is not to be able to pwn Link, Mewtwo, Pika, GM etc. with my own low tier, instead to know every match up with who I play with, which happens to be Marth. (Im trying to be as unbiased as possible mind you). cuz people like Green Mario, Fenrir, DF, Exarch, Derf, Rock and others still own my marth with thier lower tier characters. so i think im done.

Learn to love the matches you hate.

KeepSpeedN

Smash Ace
I think you guys should do the point system because it would really show whos the best. Having the Top CFL players vs Top SFL players. You guys scared to do it? :chuckle:. I mean, Lol, I had to do it. I had Fenrir first round. And then before I got to the Finals I had to fight Col Bol, my brother had Dark Falchion, and some other people lol. But whatever do what you guys want to do.

Can someone post the points list thing?

This is Shiz talking.

CmRoddy

Smash Journeyman
Just make sure they are random so I don't drive 2.5 hours just to play Riot or Doodah or Chops.
;D
thats a good point. since a.) i'm not that good and b.) it is my second Gigs tourney, i don't have a lot of points at all... so i don't really feel like playing the number 1 seed on my first round. but of course it would be good practice, and i could learn stuff... but i would still like a fighting chance to advance further than the first round.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
rock told me about how they're driving up Friday night and staying at Skratch's. Would there be room for my car and me too?

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
GOOOOODDDDDDAAAAMMMMM!!11!!!1...i havent been on in awhile and it shows...13 fvcking new pages....whew...dat took awhile...well im back guys...just finished 6 days straight of closing shifts at wendys..i didnt have time for anything...first of all....WATO CAN MAKE IT TO SKRATCHS ON FRIDAY!!!..i get off at 4 on friday which will give is PLENTY of time to make it there....it will be me, zoro, uuaa, vericz, and a very possible ray ( our new member, he was there last time)...i will be bringing a cube/tv set-up....SKRATCH PLEASE LET US COME...EXPECT 4-5 NEW PEEPZ....we'll sleep anywhere...and pritch we're still up for teams rght?...and vericz we're teaming for low tier doubles arent we?...and im sorry guys...but there is no way i am going to go back and make a list of all my MM's..there is just way too many fvcking pages...so if u had one with me...let me know...and i'll try to do it right there and then...anyways..this tourney is going to be TEH TOTAL NASTINEZZ PWNXORZ !1!1111!!!11!1....my pika is going to be nasty in low tiers....and i might try to pull out my falco a bit more in the early rounds..i dont like playing sheik anymore...just not fun...and i have so much more to improve with falco...idk..i'll defnitely use her in the tournamant...when i just have to win...aight guys...see you when i see you....peace

-hiroshi

CmRoddy

Smash Journeyman
Woot. Phanna's comming. I want matches. We'll see how good my missile dodging is now. :laugh:
i'm sure Jaryd's missile's helped you alot... but they don't compare to the thousands phanna sends out. yea i need Samus training also... in fact i need training against everyone! so anyone want to help a nOOb smasher?

Zoro

Smash Champion
i wanna sleep outside on the concrete
its a unique experience

im gonna bring some pillows an blankets and im set

vericz i kno how much u like tubs u can have that one

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Theres already like 30 people staying at their place, so you really may be sleeping on the stairs. =H

OTRU...

Smash Champion
wato: u guys can come but there's no space at all, its gonna b extremely uncomfortable for everyone, u can stay but its gonna b pretty bad, so yeah everyone that i told thats str8 to stay at my place can do so, but its gonna b pretty bad, n yeah tv's/cube r appreciated, we will clear the living room to make more space n we also have the kitchen lol so we might b able to make this work.

reminder to everyone: bring covers n pillows n cubes/tvs if possible

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
**** everyone's stayin at Skrach's :D I don't think I can make it to the fest, look forward to playin you all at the tournament!

xYz

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1049-0933-6834
tru,
otru- im def down to team with you joe well think of a team name at the fest.

skrach- yes there are more important things my child where did u wanna go? and is she still down to go + the D?

on to business- hiroshi $5 mm at the fest with whatever spacie u play with.

also, calling out all spacies for friendlies at the tourney.

Who is Diego? And what redneck WOW player is he talking about?

This is Shiz talking. If you guys see a post that has capitals and stuff in it, most likely its me talking. Spdn talks nub :chuckle:.

Edit: Check this out(Everyone that can't dance, DooDah, Rock, Queen, etc who is white)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2HiuCaaQhxg
LOL you're toooooo fuuunnyyy shiwiz

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
wow...that was random^^...i guess i'll take the MM...even though im sheik is my main and A LOT better with sheik...your like...90% chance of getting my money...because of that...i would like to bring it down to $3...i'll be playing my flaco...and remember...we have the living room, the kithen area, and some can sleep in the floor of your room skratch...peace

-hiroshi

xYz

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1049-0933-6834
ahh nvm I don't want to take you're money then.

Just friendlies then xyz will accept.

Top Bottom