• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(」・ω・)」 MARS la Marf in Smash 4 (/・ω・)/

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Today I used a lot of Marth.
I still need to get used to his punishing options and need to learn to use Bair efficiently....

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Radical change of topic because Australia.
I'll most probably have a new job on a hotel where I'll need to attend clients from pretty much anywhere, and while I can hold a conversation (maybe even business conversarion) well, I still can not comprehend the Australian accent...

So, any recommendations or stuff I can watch or listen to to get used to the language?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You're basically asking me to troll you with redneck videos which we so often call "bogans". But iono. Find some australian names and then search for speeches or something.

Like our former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd

contains course language

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
You answered your own question: Watch Croc Hunter and turn on subtitles.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
An outback-ish Australian accent (which anyone can have a hard time understanding) that Americans often stereotype is how we all speak isn't exactly what you're looking for.
I would maybe even suggest listening to (don't bother watching, coz we bad) commentated smash videos from Australia. Wide range of peoples talking.

I think that just about anyone with a business background from Australia going to a country without English as it's first language will likely stereotype into talking a lot slower for you anyway.

Your best best best bet is to catch australian news stations.
www.abc.net.au
www.sbs.com.au

I'd assume all news videos would be accessible to non-australians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdIFx27opJc
(15 years of age or higher)

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
lol I didn't mean to be stereotypical but I mean, I watched Dr. House and half of the time couldn't understand Chase, and several times I tried to watch Jim Jeffries and didn't get the joke....

Thanks for the links Shaya!♥

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well it's understandable.
Your accent is hard for us to understand too, haha.

You wouldn't believe how many times I had to ask people to repeat themselves while I was over there. Or worse, I misheard words by extreme margins.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PIERCE

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Having interest in playing this game competitively when I've not enough drive to care about surpassing our region's MK.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You need to find the passion in the game again. From experience, I'd suggest talking to Tyrant and having him tell you what this game actually is (true story).
Look for what you find yourself enjoying in this game and work with it. Try a different perspective. Or just take the break you know you want. DO NOT embitter yourself over something that is a natural part of competition (MK, I know, butttttt).

Remember this is ultimately a hobby and hence not what is a catalyst for depression, regret, stress, angst, idgafing whatever, but something that enriches your life in the capacity you choose to do so.

tl;dr just enjoy the game and find merit in getting better in your own way. If you cannot, it's fine. But smash (and the community) is pretty addictive and it's hard to really quit so why be all tsuntsuntsuntsuntsun about it when you're eventually going to go deredere or properly quit (lol)

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Oh, I've already more or less quit. I still go to the monthly tournaments, since I help run them, but I'm focused more on PM than Brawl.

Brawl's gotten stale, I pretty much only play Doubles in that now.

The rest of my free time has been spent playing other games. I'll never quit Smash as a whole, but I've grown tired of Brawl.

Oh, and School is both important and a thing.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well dear sir, don't come to me with Marth problems Marth can't fix.
Or you could remember your deep love and affection for classy effeminate style and stature glistening with the almightiest tiara and forward swinging motion wand with a handle thingy and suddenly win apex (which btw isn't possible for Marth to do in melee or project m)

NEXT.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
"forward swinging motion wand with a handle thingy" Using this properly.

Edge guarding and juggling with Uair :<

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Edge guarding is split into two parts (maybe three)

Post 100%, where every character's options from the edge are weaker and considerably more abusable by marth.
Pre-100%, where timing is more strict and you're better off with safer actions on reads/reactions than DAT FSMASH TIPPER OMGIFIHITITIWOULDHAVEWONTHESETFUARAffsffasfsfudge

The third thing is the get up attack happy losers (Basically every good player while they sandbag you + a legion of baddies at every level). Especially the zero suits and falcos. **** them to hell. There's a reason I have a good tournament record against them. There are some dumb cheesy easy ways to beat nearly every character's get up attack. The cheesiest trollest way is to roll into the ledge, you do this when you want them to realise how bad they are; roll into the ledge, get up attack whiffs, they're standing in front of you facing away. It's glorious. Anyway.... Shield and dolphin slash baby, it's from 2008 and people forgot about it, but it works. Most characters with good get up attacks do not have good ledge drop or ledge jump actions to really pose much of a threat of you standing just a little bit closer.

Edge guarding is a lot more about FEAR than it is about being 5 frame reaction speed allyeon neko. Although that helps. However, the fear comes from knowing where to stand and be safe; this means a position at your advantage in multiple ways. The fear comes from them knowing they have to think about their action because if you know what they're going to do 100% you have just the punish waiting for them. The fear also comes from not having it easy even to get back on if the Marth messes up his option by maintaining advantageous position. If you have a pattern with laggy gestures good players will get around it with a variety of things, usually air dodges.

Now as I said, things are a lot easier post 100%. You can generally react to everything normal ledge wise (attack, roll, standup), their ledge jumps will not be invincible for long [if much at all] and stuff like ledge drop -> jump -> air dodge seems like most people's best bets for any mix up potential (+the most amount of chained invincibility you can get). This type of situation is what get up attack happy LOSERS breathe their scummy polluted oxygen for. So many fsmash tippers to the face, oh my god. These times are really where you see fsmash tippers coming out, or that not-so-hard-but-we-all-say-it-does neutral air sweet spot tipper. In fact, both of those things with various degrees of timing cover ledge drop ADs (or aerials), ledge jumps, regular get ups and depending on character/position, get up attacks too. ****ing bogus. You have to try A LOT harder otherwise. Pivot grab does it, back air does it, down tilt does it, basically every move does it for all those get up options when spaced/timed correctly minus get up attacks. People above 100% should NOT be getting off the ledge against Marth without sacrifice.

Pre-100% is about making the least risk as Marth while applying pressure.More characters have more, faster, better, gayer (invincible) options to work with. You need to expect the difference and give due respect.
Patterns are not just giving people free passage back on stage, but are getting punished:
-> lol uair reverse shuttle loop from MK,
EL OH EL ZERO SUIT CHARGES NEUTRAL B LASER SHOT AND DOWN B SPIKES YOU FOR THE SET
(and by lol I mean MASSIVE SAD FACE
).​
I just kinda posted a little thing on how down tilt's hitbox max range reaches higher than the sword shows, and its probably your best "this is what you need to try to get around, ASSHOLE" pressure fear you apply on people. Why? Because one down tilt doesn't mean anything to you if you're spaced properly. Two instinctively does though, so you shouldn't be doing two. Characters are forced on the ledge by roughly half a second and lose their invincibility not long after. Every time they grab the ledge I pay attention to when their invincibility is coming up/ending. What people want you to do is throw out your flashy glow stick and invincibility through it while they still had natural ledge invincibility. Once they don't have it they need to do something lest *SHOCK* horror you move forward SLIGHTLY (don't worry, you can walk back and its like nothing happened, except they're PISSING THEIR PANTS). The other key note worthy thing to consider is that when someone gets back on the stage, if you aren't in a disadvantageous position (because you never were in one in the first place) you still have complete stage control and they're backed towards a ledge dealing with fast pokey flashy things. Generally what they do after they get back on stage is also capable of being predicted and punished (like oh they get back on stage and instantly roll, instantly attack, instantly jump).

So in other words, the basics of pre-100% is punish what they do afterwards, stay in a positional advantage that you can abuse. Positional advantage usually involves crouching, random small walking distances and maybe a down tilt during the time you know they can't get off the ledge to bait them.

Now for the LOSER ERADICATION SOCIETY, who's decree is something along the lines of "OH MY ****ING GOD YOU ALWAYS GET UP ATTACK YOU ASSHOLE;
but keikaku doori here comes tournament set final stock of the match -> I said you always get up attack". The classier you are with destroying, annihilating and embarrassing losers the more love and respect I have for you. Forward Smashing it is only the beginning.
only the beginning
only the beginn
only the beg....

You want something on forward air/nair/bair and uair I'm guessing?

Well this has taken me about half an hour so far...
How about I tell you my new favourite predictable pattern I'm using for edge guarding with forward air that is silly bonkers? (Maybe the rest another time)
Basically, I aim to hit with forward air on the last two (better if its the last) frames of the attack. Reason being is that tippering around there is just fantastic. Jumping is bad and laggy I only do so while I know they can't just **** my ****. I jump, sliding back a little (usually short hop). I steadily drift towards the ground . Here's the gogo-gadget-trick though. People think you're about to land and take this opportunity to get on stage (or do something in general), as I'm coming near the ground I jump again. Most characters have different animations in their double jump for holding backwards or neutral/forward, Marth's backwards DJ is a backflip that flattens the body similar to snake bair, but you're virtually at your "experienced" position vertically/horizontally (as is reflected by cancelling the animation with ANY action without lag super teleport style). This means that just as I'm about to hit the stage I'm suddenly 1.5 meta knight heads above the ground with a forward air that in 7 frames hits at ground height from what was prior a pretty far distance. I time fast falls and fairs on reaction and cheese people's everything. Everything.

Oh and how I describe forward air in the above paragraph (most notably the last sentence) is basically how you use forward air in this game to be OMEGA POWERED alllllllllll the time.

Basically, virtually, realistically I basically overuse these virtually realistically beautiful words that are basically virtually realistically amazing.

*300 hours of editing though

Cassio

Smash Master
Now for the LOSER ERADICATION SOCIETY, who's decree is something along the lines of "OH MY ****ING GOD YOU ALWAYS GET UP ATTACK YOU *******;
but keikaku doori here comes tournament set final stock of the match -> I said you always get up attack". The classier you are with destroying, annihilating and embarrassing losers the more love and respect I have for you. Forward Smashing it is only the beginning.
only the beginning
only the beginn
only the beg....
lol, get up attack all day :bee:. My favorite mix-up for get attack is ledge climb ;). Oddly I learned about that from a post by NEO in this thread.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Devil Survivor 1 doesn't have an anime currently being released. Episode 1 for the DeSu2A released last Thursday.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
And are you guys sure Devil Survivor is worth watching?

kinda looked like some fujioshi stuff to me. With a token large breasted female.
To quote Xonar, first episode was "Safe, but solid."

I'm really looking forward to more episodes.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I think I've finally broken the bounds of mental blocks for Australian smashers.

Here comes a move...
"Dude, if you use X like that, I'll just power shield it"
*power shields it*
*pauses*

"OHHHHHHHHHHH" they say.

Then they try a little harder. Every time.
*sheds a tear*

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I need to get past my mental block of.. playing brawl as turn based at times.

"Ohh I hit him".
"Better do nothing and let him hit me".

:<

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
That happens when you play around walling and pressuring.
However, some characters still make it a turn-based game, like Wario, that can trap you in his game and susprise you with a Waft. He's so lame.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
If you think of the game as turn based, then play the game in hyper-turn based. Use what you have to make you better at the game.

Getting hit after hitting someone sucks.
Basically, if you [untippered] fair someone pre-25%ish and it isn't done in the right conditions, then they'll be able to hit you first.
Thinking after each hitconfirm is da bess. Knowing that I won't have enough hitstun to keep going is a 2 second prior thought process.

If you're in the air against them, then retreating when you know, immediately fast falling (because you know) or risking your double jump as your pseudo air spot dodge and punish them swinging / air dodging from a more preferable scenario.

Top Bottom