• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(」・ω・)」 MARS la Marf in Smash 4 (/・ω・)/

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
He said, she said?

I mean there are studies supporting both sides, with valid points and facts. :/

So it's all just a big circle jerk lol.
I'm pretty sure beating meat is just as bad as eating it for people like Quest and Gheb. :applejack:

Lord Chair

Smash Master
It's fundamentally wrong to have a beer with fundamentally wrong people because you lessen the chance they will kill themselves out of sheer boredom and therefore you support their fundamentally wrong cause.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Although this discussion is pretty ******** the last 5 posts made me laugh quite a bit.

Only thing that botherd me in it is that Espy implies that he knows more about beating meat than I do.

:059:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
That was Maan's idea, not mine.
And you're just mad you spent more money on fruity drinks than we did on our meals. :applejack:

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Did you read my little counterpoint why biologically, people eating meat isn't so wrong?

Also my comment about egotistical was just pointed to those in this group acting egotistical.

I'm also not a vicious carnivore. I'm an omnivore. I eat plants and animals. Here's also enough logic to eat meat: it's a resource that we have access to that we can consume to survive. Why make a bigger deal out of animals being killed for food than plants? Is it because animals actually have a face?
There's a difference between a resource that CAN be used and a resource that is NECESSARY. Eating meat is a luxury, your points are fairly bogus.

But guys.

Jesus ate meat. He seemed like a pretty good guy to me, so there can't be that much wrong with it.
Since you brought it up, the original diet in the scriptures was as vegetarian as it gets. Only after sin entered the world and it became impossible to live off of the perfect diet was it allowed for meat to be eaten, and only clean meat at that, so none of your bacon. It's still that way. I honestly have no problem with hunting when necessary, but it is obviously not necessary in first world countries.

And yes, I know this wasn't a serious comment.

When you get back, explain to me what part didn't you get.

Go ask any biologist; ecosystems only have enough resources to support so many lifeforms. In this case, we only have so much resources in each country, on this planet to support so many living things. Once the resource becomes overconsumed, starvation and other problems occur. If you read carefully I mentioned that if we got rid of the demand for animals that give us the meat we eat, then we'd have more living organism that consume plant life to survive. So we'd also be competing with the animals for the plant foods that we'd be eating as well. In which case it boils down to, it's either them or us if resources become really scarce. It's nothing personal, it's just how nature works. There's nothing ethical about survival because you do what you have to, to survive. Doesn't matter how desperate you are.

Go talk to someone in the business field (economist, whoever), about the effects of eliminating the meat industry. I also thought I put it quite clearly, you eliminate that industry, you eliminate the revenue and resources that go into it, like human labor. Less economic activity is never good for an economy.

If my explanations are too simple for you, I don't know what more to say. I'm not trying to be an ***, I'm just trying to share with you some information.
Breeding animals in mass quantities requires much more consumption of resources than the natural rate. There would be MORE resources, not less. And yes, the meat industry would suffer, but the point is to eliminate it, so that's not a problem. The money would be made up for in the vegetable industry, which would be much more efficient for all patties involved.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Can you prove that the resources would increase if we ignored meat completely?
I want to see numbers here. And science. :applejack:

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
I'm too lazy to read any of the arguments from the last 5 or so pages, so I'll just continue to eat meat everyday and enjoy it.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Pfft. I've been lazy my entire life. Only difference is now I have more energy to not do anything with.

etecoon

Smash Hero
@Quest: No we don't. There's enough veggies and grains to give us all the essential nutrients we need by themselves. Rice and beans alone nearly fulfill all of the protein based needs our bodies have that most of us get from eating meat.
you get significantly more protein from meat and less carbs, and no plant source of omega 3s is as efficient as eating fish

also wheat is kind of awful, worth mentioning anytime people are advocating a heavily grain based diet

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505269_162-57505149/modern-wheat-a-perfect-chronic-poison-doctor-says/

as for the ethical issues...human beings aren't ethical creatures, we can't even stop each other from murdering and enslaving our own constantly, nevermind other animals

veal is just ****ing creepy though, no one should support that

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Bomber I don't want to have to quote every line of yours and say that it's wrong...but your statements were all very false :(

I'm a Biology major. You don't get how nature works lol. Resources in an ecosystem (aka energy, nutrients, and organisms) don't just "run out." As long as they get sunlight, plants can produce energy and drive the basic functions of life in an ecosystem. You said that we would be "competing" to find enough plant food. Plant domestication has provided us with a steady supply of plants for centuries. I recommend the book Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. It goes into meticulous detail about the history of plant domestication. Diamond also examines how certain tribal groups in New Guinea rely on crops for protein. (this section is directly applicable to the subject of getting proper nutrition from plants.) To suggest that we would ever have to "compete" with other animals for a plant supply is absurd :laugh:

and you literally said "if we got rid of the meat industry...then it wouldn't have any money." well...duh! xD That would be a good thing. People would actually be a lot better off nutritionally speaking.

Rei sees the light and agrees with me?!? This is a first! haha.

etecoon - I hope people take action to resolve that wheat problem. Proteins are abundant in certain crops...I am pretty confident in saying that people would get plenty of protein if they incorporated the right plants into their diet. A lot of people have indeed proven themselves unethical but we can still strive to fix that for a bright future!

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Quest, you missed a huge part of my post. It was certain ecosystem/areas only being able to support a limited amount of inhabitants. It's simple supply and demand and the consequences. When the demand outweighs what nature can naturally supply, there are consequences i.e starvation. Yes, we are able to produce crops in large quantities, but taking from your post "IF" they get enough sunlight and nutrients they need, they will grow. Mother nature doesn't always behave the way we want. It's really a crapshoot. I'm not sure if you knew this but a few weeks ago, the news reported how this year we grew what would have been the largest harvest of crops in US history. You know happened to it? It all died. Mother nature wasn't kind to us this season. But I still want to place emphasis my main point. We mass produce animals that supply us with meat. Leave them alone, they are able to breed. That population will grow exponentially, with no human consumers, it is more guaranteed that you will have a growing population than you would of having a large enough harvest to supply it all.

Economically, I tried to put emphasis on the fact that shutting down the meat industry would affect a lot of people. People would lose their job. It trickles down to more than those who actually raise the meat and sell it. Anyone who deals business with those people are affected too. Anything made with meat is also affected. So please understand, there are more consequences to eliminating the meat industry entirely than you or anyone might think.

Top Bottom