• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(」・ω・)」 MARS la Marf in Smash 4 (/・ω・)/

Albert.

Smash Master
^ This : P nice job Viet

btw what exactly are the benefits to knowing frame data?
You can wreck harder.

Basically If you know "well this move has this much cool down lag and my opponent just used it. He's in lag. But my 10-frame Fsmash is too slow to hit him before his shield comes up, and then I'D be in lag and get wrecked myself. So I should choose a faster option, like Dancing Blades."

It basically all comes down to intuition though. But knowing the frame data can help in close situations, and what move/character should win out theoretically in certain frame data situations.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Way to miss the joke.
it's a trap neko eat moar snakes obv

also now i will have 3 more results when I search for name-dropping.

you got spotdodged the dtilt and ate a tipper dsmash

you teched into an ice car

**** nu

etc.

^ This : P nice job Viet

btw what exactly are the benefits to knowing frame data?
you can calculate frame advantages on block, effective strings, frame traps, get a grasp on the exact lag of a move, knowing what your best option to stuff out other moves is, etc.

all without ever really needing to actually pick up the controller (provided such information already exists online and IS ACCURATE).

it's a slightly more useful in other non-Brawl games since you can actually theorycraft string of moves through theory fighter then test it out. Also allows you to know you can connect certain moves you thought were once impossible to do so.

regardless, frames are important enough in any fighting game.

Albert.

Smash Master
it's a trap neko eat moar snakes obv

also now i will have 3 more results when I search for name-dropping.

you got spotdodged the dtilt and ate a tipper dsmash

you teched into an ice car

**** nu

etc.

you can calculate frame advantages on block, effective strings, frame traps, get a grasp on the exact lag of a move, knowing what your best option to stuff out other moves is, etc.

all without ever really needing to actually pick up the controller (provided such information already exists online and IS ACCURATE).

it's a slightly more useful in other non-Brawl games since you can actually theorycraft string of moves through theory fighter then test it out. Also allows you to know you can connect certain moves you thought were once impossible to do so.

regardless, frames are important enough in any fighting game.
D***itt your explanation is better xD

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
It's more a comparison thing.

Like Marth's fair is 4 frames, mk's ftilt hits on 3, 6 and 10.
with uber pro god-like spacing, I have about a 2 frame window of aerial mobility/start up to beat the ftilt with fair.
It's risky of course, as generally the best way to deal with MK's ftilt is to SDI outside it's range between after the first/second hit to punish cooldown/last hit. Many tipper fsmashes have been had, poor meta knight.

Steel_Samurai

Smash Journeyman
It's more a comparison thing.

Like Marth's fair is 4 frames, mk's ftilt hits on 3, 6 and 10.
with uber pro god-like spacing, I have about a 2 frame window of aerial mobility/start up to beat the ftilt with fair.
It's risky of course, as generally the best way to deal with MK's ftilt is to SDI outside it's range between after the first/second hit to punish cooldown/last hit. Many tipper fsmashes have been had, poor meta knight.
Is this actually possible?^

Mr-R

Smash Champion
lol i've never looked at the frama data thread, and yet i know all the moves of marth like the back of my hand, hmm maybe thats just me

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
You'd know them BETTER if you knew the data.

There is a difference between playing a character for years and having a firm grasp of their data and playing a character for years, knowing their frame data, and having a more accurate grasp of their data.

Knowledge is power son.

∫unk

Smash Master
yeah mr r if you learn frame data you learn about punishments you ddin't think were possible

like if i powershield marth's tipper d-smash i have enough time to ddd f-smash and you can't do anything

things like that it's hard to learn through experience because its a pretty rare situation but it comes up enough where it's good to know what the appropriate reaction is

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
When with Brawl's 10 frames of buffering, abusing frame data isnt as hard as it is in Melee or 64 (where no one knows anything about frame data in that game.)

You know, because you can buffer an attack you know falls within the window of opportunity, frame-wise.

It's like knowing your BnBs.

You can be 100% sure which option is the best options in situations when you know frame data without having to guess and be unsure.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
guess i should start looking then :p
also didnt know that junk, thats pretty sick :o

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
From what I hear SK92 and NEO are really frame intensive.
But that's what I hear.
Not that others don't look at their frame data

generalizations suck.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I only look at frame data for specific things.

Other than that. I just kinda wing it because I'd rather a mastery of the feel of my character before I fine tune it with frame knowledge.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
actually, im going to 2 tourneys this week and theres also another tourney next week, so wish me luck ;D

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
Hey guys about 2 weeks ago I decided I no longer wanna play Marth. sry.
My list now is:
Main: R.O.B.
Secondary: Snake

It use to be:
Main: R.O.B.
Secondary: Marth
Third: Snake

The reason for this is Marth is a very complicated character. But mostly because every time I sat down to do "Marth related things" such as watch vids to learn stuff. I would always end up doing "snake stuff". I eventually realized that I took Marth too seriously....and that Snake was more important to me (overall)

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Marth isnt that complicated.

It's just

Tipper when you need to kill. Space for everything else. Punish when you're on the ground. Up B when in doubt. And grab mix ups.

That's like as broad as you can probably sum up Marth.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Memorizing key frame data for your character and your common matchups works wonders. Just going through MK's moves and seeing my best punishment options for all his moves helped tremendously with that matchup.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Thats enough for me,
I'll get on learning Frame data after finals, and a few days of break. Perhaps this will help me next tournament haha.

Top Bottom