• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(」・ω・)」 MARS la Marf in Smash 4 (/・ω・)/

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I better check the tier lists too while im at it.
y ish Ike so low he has tah ph1r3 and dooz will fightan metanight with da moar range and kill powar.

Oh, and good sir, Marf also has like more range than the leader of the Meta Knights; Meta Knight; our dtilt is longer, and our fair totally combos into a dtilt that combos into a fair, and dancing blade is the best move in the game, and marth's dolphin slash kills the universe.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
y ish Ike so low he has tah ph1r3 and dooz will fightan metanight with da moar range and kill powar.

Oh, and good sir, Marf also has like more range than the leader of the Meta Knights; Meta Knight; our dtilt is longer, and our fair totally combos into a dtilt that combos into a fair, and dancing blade is the best move in the game, and marth's dolphin slash kills the universe.
In fact, dtilt comboes into dtilt which pretty much makes it an infinite.

As such, Marth is almost as broken as Lucas' fsmash.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Let's clear this issue up. Take a look at these two posts. The second contradicts the first.

Guys...

I did a ken combo with uairs on that one fat penguin.

I feel happy, someone give me a cookie.
Hm... I could've sworn that the Ken combo was carrying your target off of the stage with a series of Fairs, ending with a Dair. This puts Marth in a checkmate position since his opponent will either be ***** by the tipper Dair, or will be in the position to be edgeguarded.

There are no "combos" in Smash, only follow ups. This makes Melee fail Melee and every belief of Melee false. This includes the Ken combo.

Meow.
No cookie. No ball of string. No Kitty-Crack.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The Ken Combo is simply fair dair. It was originally performed in Smash 64, with Captain Falcon.

Melee has no combos? Have you ever dthrown a floaty with Sheik, or waveshined a heavy character? The more complex combos are rather freeform due to how much influence DI has, but there is still enough hitstun to land hits in without giving the chance of escape.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
The Ken Combo is simply fair dair. It was originally performed in Smash 64, with Captain Falcon.

Melee has no combos? Have you ever dthrown a floaty with Sheik, or waveshined a heavy character? The more complex combos are rather freeform due to how much influence DI has, but there is still enough hitstun to land hits in without giving the chance of escape.
Someone wiki'd.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Actually I originally read that from Ken's MLG interview. I'm guessing it got placed on the Wiki later?

9Kplus1

Smash Master

Combos have three parts to them: The initial hit, the inescapable follow up(s), and the finishing hit. The initial hit is simple, it starts to combo. The initial hit itself can be as simple as a basic attack, to a difficult setup; however, the follow up should always be able to "connect" with that initial hit, no matter where your target goes. In Smash, even in Melee, there were very few reliable setups for some inescapable follow ups (well...) like Waveshining, the Ken combo, or the classic, triple Uair > Falcon Dive combo. DI influences how a follow up will be shaped, or how a "combo" will end up as. There are very few combos in Smash that, from the initial hit, can have reliable, inescapable follow ups.

The ending hit of a combo does one of two things: places the user in a checkmate position, ranging from getting their spacing back, to KOing their opponent. The second result of the ending hit is just placing the target in a position where they can't follow up with much. No, this doesn't mean that if character's A, C and D can break out of character B's combo, that the combo is nonexistent or unreliable. It means that certain characters can get out of "inescapable" combos, that's all. No matter how you look at it, all "combos" and follow ups in smash have an ending hit, even if it's just knocking someone off of the stage.

In simpler terms; Smash's most of Smash's DI reliant, so they're unreliable, but they're still there.

No cookie. No ball of string. No Kitty-Crack.
Ehhhhhhhhhh.....................

Player-3

Smash Hero
what about stomp to knee?

or dropzoning

or raptor boost to knee

or nair to grab

or knee at 0 to grab

or uair to grab

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Combos have three parts to them: The initial hit, the inescapable follow up(s), and the finishing hit. The initial hit is simple, it starts to combo. The initial hit itself can be as simple as a basic attack, to a difficult setup; however, the follow up should always be able to "connect" with that initial hit, no matter where your target goes. In Smash, even in Melee, there were very few reliable setups for some inescapable follow ups (well...) like Waveshining, the Ken combo, or the classic, triple Uair > Falcon Dive combo. DI influences how a follow up will be shaped, or how a "combo" will end up as. There are very few combos in Smash that, from the initial hit, can have reliable, inescapable follow ups.

In a sense, Smash only has follow ups that are dependent on where you opponent goes, rather than the initial hit that supposedly sets it up.
How can you claim Smash has no initial hits when that's almost all you ever get in Brawl? What's the significance of a "finishing hit?" Why do you need a single reliable followup for it to be a combo? Have you ever heard of "situational combo?" They often happen in games where counterhits cause different behavior than normal hits. They are also listed when certain characters have strange hitboxes that allow them to escape normally working combos.

If you hit someone and there is enough hitstun to lead into an attack, yet you don't manage to connect with that next attack, it's not called "Smash has no combos," it's called "you dropped the combo."

Hell, Brawl itself has several combos. They just all rely on the hitstun that can't be canceled with an airdodge or attack.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
I'm just gonna john about how my post wasn't finished; I thought I clicked preview post, then my attention was drawn to a hilarious series of Youtube vids. So, if you could just direct your arguments to that post...

what about stomp to knee?

or dropzoning

or raptor boost to knee

or nair to grab

or knee at 0 to grab

or uair to grab
There are very few combos in Smash that, from the initial hit, can have reliable, inescapable follow ups.
I didn't say that there weren't any reliable follow ups :/.

I found myself ADing after Raptor Boost in Melee and isn't dropzoning running off the stage into a Knee?

How can you claim Smash has no initial hits when that's almost all you ever get in Brawl?
Requoteing because I'm lazy:

There are very few combos in Smash that, from the initial hit, can have reliable, inescapable follow ups.
What's the significance of a "finishing hit?"
Read the edited post.

Why do you need a single reliable followup for it to be a combo?
So, if most of the cast in a game can get out of a combo... it's still a combo?

Have you ever heard of "situational combo?" They often happen in games where counterhits cause different behavior than normal hits.
I've heard of situational combos, plenty of times. In Smash, situational combos are limited to powerhshielding in between hits, jabbing, buffering in some moves, etc. They can break most combos, but that alone doesn't make combos unreliable.

They are also listed when certain characters have strange hitboxes that allow them to escape normally working combos.
Read the edited post :/.

If you hit someone and there is enough hitstun to lead into an attack, yet you don't manage to connect with that next attack, it's not called "Smash has no combos," it's called "you dropped the combo."
Hell, Brawl itself has several combos. They just all rely on the hitstun that can't be canceled with an airdodge or attack.
You caught me :(

I blame the bulk of this last page on Psyduck mindgames.

Mindgamez son

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
So hippie and I just had some fun seriouslies, on wifi (get @ US). Man my Marth is doing pretty good, five more days of practice before my next tourney!

Viquey

Smash Journeyman
D'aw, I wanted to see subspace silliness! Oh well. I'll lurk anyway, as long as it doesn't lag me too much.

...I feel like I was gonna ask or say something else, but I forget. >.>

Viquey

Smash Journeyman
Ahahaha yay! Misheard lyrics!

...now I'll be on a misheard lyrics youtubing spree for the rest of the night. Thanks a lot, steel! :laugh:

Ohoh and I remember what I forgot to say last post: to set the record straight, I'm not "clawing" or whatever. I use tap jump. XD

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
At first I was like NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO, because my Grandmaster plays that song all the time at the my Tae Kwon Do gym.

I'll be preparing for a tournament sweating blood, hardly able to stand up, and then I hear GEE GEE GEE GEE BABY BABY!!! and I want to hurt someone.

But then

I went

LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!

Too great.

If only my youtube player wasn't screwed up and I could see all of it...

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
*is extremely saddened that he missed steel and pierce playing subspace*

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
btw sonic sucks:

this is me doing emblem lord style, i'm a very aggressive marth but this is what he told me he did to blue's sonic and ***** him. all sonic does is try to bait **** and run around, but when he actually wants to fight he dies to short hop fair. and i know sonic can do way better than that but its w/e, btw vex is a better player than me
and simply be smart and not fall for his baiting

like in the first few seconds of the video it was obv he was going to bait and i just stood there lol
Not as easy as you thought, eh?

:093:

Top Bottom