• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

♥Who you truly are out of reality♥

mzink*

Smash Ace
I have been enjoying reading the discussion about different mentalities and such. Many people are taught from an early age to fear certain people. When they get older and become more independant, some tend to stick to those beliefs because it is safer to do so. Our family's beliefs were forcefully and violently enforced upon us. I was raised in a very religious and quite intolerant house-hold (racism and pretty much anything that would make someone seem different from us). You kind of have a conflict always going on as a kid, you are thinking that your parents must know what they are talking about, but at the same time, you feel that the people you have been told to stay away from are good people, and are just like you. So you don't really know what to believe as a kid untill you just make a choice to believe whatever feels right for you.

Luckily I was not a very obedient child ;) I was quite troublesome for my parents with those "horrible people" I'd chosen to become friends with. I tend to stay away from my family now because the nonsense that they spew still enfuriates me.

Anyway, sorry about the ramble, I was just trying to explain that when you enforce something on someone from a young age, it is often hard for them to break away from it. My brothers still think and act the same way as my parents do. I guess they just feel secure in sticking close to those beliefs, even if sometimes they just don't make sense.

IrArby

Smash Ace
I think that people do think for themselves and accept common or taught practices on an almost concious level. Its less of an engrainment than an acceptance. Theres a decision being made there most definetly, and the reasoning behind that decision doesn't stem from shirking the responsiblity of making a decision but from seeing the value in agreeing with the people around you. I think its less about agreeing with a group to avoid thinking for oneself and more along the lines of valueing that belongingness to your social strata.

I myself don't believe in doing Good or Evil or for that matter people being inherently Good or Evil/Bad. People are motivated by drives rooted in the things they believe to right. When it helps people, say you feel better when you housing the poor or nursing the sick, it contributes to others and is called Good. When your drives come at the expense of others its then Bad/Evil. Obviously, Good drives are more justifiable morally which as I've sorta just alluded to is a Man-Made construct anyway.

The point being that in my experience people agree with alot of the sentiments they are raised with not only because they are told those values are good but that they can (or do) represent those values and continue to. People will later assimilate new groups with new values perhaps completely at odds with their inherited biology/upbringing/whatever. This goes back to my point that people choose what they want to think and act like as an expression of that group and its value system that they have conciously joined.

This is not to say that someone to join a group is incapable of acting out of accordance with their new thought system if it interferes with their base drives which are paramount above all compulsory behaviors. I just really think that we shouldn't divorce peoples behaviors from their own personal responsibility and rather attach them to their raising and life experiences. Doing that would essentially eliminate personal autonomy seeing as we'd being nothing but a product of our experiences and act strictly accordingly.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Well what I meant is a place where PEOPLE are perfect as well as the place.People who have the luxury of intelligence/technology as well as no desire to do evil,only the desire to make the world increasingly better and better for one and all.Money would be no object as all available technology would be available to all,people could basically do what they want except something in their psychi makes their morals perfect.

Can such a place exist when a fully sentient being populates it?Is it just in the nature of intelligent life to try and rise above its own kind,become better and more renound through competition.

Does it take war,destruction years of hard times etc to carve a truly "successful" civilization.

If wars that carved nations and created some the most influential and notorious people in history never happened,would we be the people as we are today?

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
Dang, everyone has big dreams. I only dream about getting a new computer or moving and other realistic stuff. It's really dull. The only crazy dream I had was about getting shot and that wasn't very fun.
And to think I'm younger than most of you.
LOL I was waiting for one of these ice breakers. You've made my night:).

Hey I dreamed about getting shot too. For some reason, my cousins and me were the actual characters in a gears of war multiplayer map(rarely plays gears) and a cousin of mine shot me as I was running away from him. Right on the neck, I tried to cover the bullet wound and warm blood kept rushing out of it. I was so happy to wake up. I actually felt the warmth of the blood though, which is what surprised me the most.

Pikaville

I think that people do think for themselves and accept common or taught practices on an almost concious level. Its less of an engrainment than an acceptance. Theres a decision being made there most definetly, and the reasoning behind that decision doesn't stem from shirking the responsiblity of making a decision but from seeing the value in agreeing with the people around you. I think its less about agreeing with a group to avoid thinking for oneself and more along the lines of valueing that belongingness to your social strata.

I myself don't believe in doing Good or Evil or for that matter people being inherently Good or Evil/Bad. People are motivated by drives rooted in the things they believe to right. When it helps people, say you feel better when you housing the poor or nursing the sick, it contributes to others and is called Good. When your drives come at the expense of others its then Bad/Evil. Obviously, Good drives are more justifiable morally which as I've sorta just alluded to is a Man-Made construct anyway.

The point being that in my experience people agree with alot of the sentiments they are raised with not only because they are told those values are good but that they can (or do) represent those values and continue to. People will later assimilate new groups with new values perhaps completely at odds with their inherited biology/upbringing/whatever. This goes back to my point that people choose what they want to think and act like as an expression of that group and its value system that they have conciously joined.

This is not to say that someone to join a group is incapable of acting out of accordance with their new thought system if it interferes with their base drives which are paramount above all compulsory behaviors. I just really think that we shouldn't divorce peoples behaviors from their own personal responsibility and rather attach them to their raising and life experiences. Doing that would essentially eliminate personal autonomy seeing as we'd being nothing but a product of our experiences and act strictly accordingly.
You good sir have amazed me!

mzink*

Smash Ace
LOL I was waiting for one of these ice breakers. You've made my night:).

Hey I dreamed about getting shot too. For some reason, my cousins and me were the actual characters in a gears of war multiplayer map(rarely plays gears) and a cousin of mine shot me as I was running away from him. Right on the neck, I tried to cover the bullet wound and warm blood kept rushing out of it. I was so happy to wake up. I actually felt the warmth of the blood though, which is what surprised me the most.

Whenever I dream I get shot I always take it like a bad*** lolz. I'm all like psh that didn't hurt sucka, now I'm gona take you down!

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
Whenever I dream I get shot I always take it like a bad*** lolz. I'm all like psh that didn't hurt sucka, now I'm gona take you down!
Never dreamt I got shot, but I dream I get stabbed alot. Dreamt I got stabbed by my assistant principal (which was...none the less confusing) and the other time I got stabbed with a pocket knife by Lady Eboshi from Princess Mononoke.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Never dreamt I got shot, but I dream I get stabbed alot. Dreamt I got stabbed by my assistant principal (which was...none the less confusing) and the other time I got stabbed with a pocket knife by Lady Eboshi from Princess Mononoke.
Hahaha. That is both scary and awesome at the same time. I loved that movie.

I've had several dreams where I was shot, and it was always before I manifested some sort of power and absorbed the bullets, then beat the crud out of the criminals. :laugh:

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
Hahaha. That is both scary and awesome at the same time. I loved that movie.

I've had several dreams where I was shot, and it was always before I manifested some sort of power and absorbed the bullets, then beat the crud out of the criminals. :laugh:
Never finished that movie, but I love it so much. Too bad I had a panic attack from all the blood.

And at least you had a majestic comeback. I just died in those. and with the one with the principal I was actually trying to commit suicide....which makes it even more strange.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Never finished that movie, but I love it so much. Too bad I had a panic attack from all the blood.

And at least you had a majestic comeback. I just died in those. and with the one with the principal I was actually trying to commit suicide....which makes it even more strange.
Yeah, I'm not fond of blood, but it was on Cartoon Network before Adult Swim so I just pretended it was a Toonami show and it helped. Haha.

Nightmares are nightmares. Not everything in them are influenced by events in real life.

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm not fond of blood, but it was on Cartoon Network before Adult Swim so I just pretended it was a Toonami show and it helped. Haha.

Nightmares are nightmares. Not everything in them are influenced by events in real life.
Sounds good, maybe i'll try that approach next time I see it :)

Agreed, because I'm rather glad most of my nightmares don't mean anything. They'd be like Scary Movie, but a whole lot more crazy and cheesy.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Well what I meant is a place where PEOPLE are perfect as well as the place.People who have the luxury of intelligence/technology as well as no desire to do evil,only the desire to make the world increasingly better and better for one and all.Money would be no object as all available technology would be available to all,people could basically do what they want except something in their psychi makes their morals perfect.

Can such a place exist when a fully sentient being populates it?Is it just in the nature of intelligent life to try and rise above its own kind,become better and more renound through competition.

Does it take war,destruction years of hard times etc to carve a truly "successful" civilization.

If wars that carved nations and created some the most influential and notorious people in history never happened,would we be the people as we are today?
But then you get into all these crazy questions like "What is a successful Society?" or "What is the purpose of Society?" You could stretch Society to Government if you wanted. I don't neccesarily think that the anyone's psychi can be morally perfected as I explained in my later post (which I'm glad you liked btw). IDK really.

Lately when I've been dreaming though, its been things that I've been wanting to happen. Not obsessively but still pretty badly coupled with a minor internal struggle thats been plauging me with no foreseeable all around positive solution.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
Reminds me of two dreams I had where I died. Not daydreams, but... sleep dreams.

One of them was me trying to rescue a girl I took a fancy to in high school from two shadowy figures who tried to throw her in their car. When I tried to stop them, one of them pulled out a gun and shot me. I bit the dust, and soon after woke up.

I don't remember what the second dream was, but I know I died twice, hahah. The only thing that I remember of the second one was wishing for only a few more minutes as I lost my breath. I've had quite a few dreams where I had to struggle to survive. They're definitely... interesting, to say the least. 0_o

Speaking of dreaming, in my dreams I always act just as I would in real life, so the thought of... flying and such never occur to me. Then sometimes when I wake up if I remember them, I think "Aw, man... I could have done this, this, or this".

EDIT: @ Above post:
Last night I had a dream of my home made hamburgers. I was puzzled as to why half of mine was missing. *Scratches head* But it was good, though.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I would live in Tellius and travel with Ike and Oscar and Muarim and Nephenee and form a 5 person mercenary squad unrivaled by the previous Greil Mercenaries, and be allied with every nation in Tellius, often fighting alongside the likes of Tibarn and Caineghis. I'd be a Dragonlord, greater than Ashnard ever was.

Pikaville

This may sound really weird but...

Ive never had a dream in which Ive been scared.I always seem to just accept whats happening no matter how scary it would be in reality.

Does that mean Ive never really had a nightmare?

IrArby I wish I had someone like you to sit with and talk about stuff like this.

Your language is excellent.That post which blew me away was amazingly worded.

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
This may sound really weird but...

Ive never had a dream in which Ive been scared.I always seem to just accept whats happening no matter how scary it would be in reality.

Does that mean Ive never really had a nightmare?
That happens to me, dude. If I ever have a nightmare i'm never actually afriad, I never feel any fear, no matter how horrific it is. It's only untill after I wake up and think about it for awile do I realize how scary it is.

Hence you'll never realize if i'm having a bad dream when I'm asleep. I don't move around or mumble or anything.

Pikaville

Yeah its only really when you wake up you realised how messed up the situation was.

BTW Zero Beat I will check that out.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Lately I've been dreaming of a women that I've been seeing completely on a friendly basis. The problem being that I'm in a 3 year relationship with my girlfriend and she is in a 4-5 year relationship (possibly engaged) with another guy and she's about to graduate (college) and move hours and hours away from me. I can't understand it myself or why I continue to torture myself thinking of her.

Conclusion: Love is blind and its beauty is ever enhanced by the briefness with which we can glimpse it.

Just had to get that off my chest. Sorry for unloading on you guys.

ps. I've never stopped loving my girlfriend and I know that this other girl will ultimately be happier and better off with her planned life.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
IRARBY said:
Lately I've been dreaming of a women that I've been seeing completely on a friendly basis. The problem being that I'm in a 3 year relationship with my girlfriend and she is in a 4-5 year relationship (possibly engaged) with another guy and she's about to graduate (college) and move hours and hours away from me. I can't understand it myself or why I continue to torture myself thinking of her.
Remember that dreams are generally at a subconscious level. Don't kill yourself over things you can't control. Treat them as trivial(even if you have to lie to yourself) and occupy yourself with who's infrtonf of you, your girlfriend:).

I've had the same thing happen. Trust me, just try to ignore it. It's not that you actually "like like" them. You know exactly who you really like!

IrArby

Smash Ace
Remember that dreams are generally at a subconscious level. Don't kill yourself over things you can't control. Treat them as trivial(even if you have to lie to yourself) and occupy yourself with who's infrtonf of you, your girlfriend:).

I've had the same thing happen. Trust me, just try to ignore it. It's not that you actually "like like" them. You know exactly who you really like!
No, the thing is I legitmately like her and think of her willingly (while concious) because I think she an awesome, genuine, and (to me) wholly different type of person. But I agree, its not healthy nor is it feasible to go on. I've thought of distancing myself and everything now but I don't want to cheat myself out of the last 1.5-2 weeks of seeing her ever. I figure I'll have to give up on being anything with her when she's gone anyway so . . . Sorry if that sounds creepy.

There is a sincere friendship between us even if the extra-relationary aspect of it is just my imagination. That at least I feel deserves to be left in tact until we part. I'd feel happier maintaining any small friendship than some sort of tarnished parting anyway.

Pikaville

I had a weird thought today.

Say your best friend told you he likes young children but doesnt know why.

Even though you knew he was a great person,had great morals etc.

Would you still be friends even though he has uncontrollable desires for children?

I think alot of people would automatically dismiss said person branding them sick etc.Especially older generations.

IrArby

Smash Ace
There are some, I guess you'd call them fetishes, that people get into and IDK, there too much for me. Thats definetly one but I think there is something deeper cognitively speaking in the human psyche which has been reoccuring in humans to the extent that that kinda of so called perverseness has been happening for thousands of years. Into recent history as well in many different societys/cultures. I can sorta see where some people buy into certain fetishes but so many others completely ellude me. Feet for example.

The thing is, people propagate the argument that you can be gay, or lesbian or bi or whatever and it has no reflection on your personal bearing or your overall personality. It really does just as being heterosexual affects your behaviors. I say this to demonstrate that someone who has an attraction to kids would probably have characteristics perhaps very hidden latent ones that would signify them as somone attracted to children. Those traits would undoubtedly be at odds or at least out of the common way with how most people act/feel. I don't know what those traits are exactly maybe we should examine Micheal Jackson as a case study.

I just think an observant friend would probably notice those strange habits and characteristics in a friend beforehand and it wouldn't come as a complete surprise. Or at least you'd be able to piece in certain information that fits the profile better.

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
I had a weird thought today.

Say your best friend told you he likes young children but doesnt know why.

Even though you knew he was a great person,had great morals etc.

Would you still be friends even though he has uncontrollable desires for children?

I think alot of people would automatically dismiss said person branding them sick etc.Especially older generations.
I have a friend like that. We used to be in a Halo clan for like 5 years:-p. We're still friends and pedophilia hasn't gotten in the way of our Halo brotherhood:-p.

Pikaville

What Ive always wanted to know is how we developed conscious thought and reasoning.

Because no other species/animal in our world as far as we know has these traits.

I kinda think of it like this.

A tree falls and we decided to use it for something.Eventually we deciphered that we ourselves could make those trees fall then it just became a matter of how.

Reasonable observation and perfection of method has made technology.

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
What Ive always wanted to know is how we developed conscious thought and reasoning.

Because no other species/animal in our world as far as we know has these traits.

I kinda think of it like this.

A tree falls and we decided to use it for something.Eventually we deciphered that we ourselves could make those trees fall then it just became a matter of how.

Reasonable observation and perfection of method has made technology.
I've wondered that too, and I realized a few things, which may or may not be accurate.

I find that some animals have some sort of consious, you can see in some pets like dogs or cats. But their reasoning seems to come mostly from instinct, therefore most of what they think of happens naturally. I believe that in a sece, it's the same for people too. Over time, the instincts that we were born with were eventually heightened that we were able do certain things for our liking. Have you ever seen certain animals do something like that? I was watching animal planet yesterday and learned that a species of monkey uses hot springs in asia. I guess it's the same deal.

IrArby

Smash Ace
I just think of in the same kind of context that given individuals within a species have mutations and one of those mutations is eventually benificial. Same thing with people. We just happed to be the unbroken line of evolutions that flourished and developed higher level thinking. That makes sense right?

Pikaville

Its just kinda weird how we manipulate our environment around us to suit how we live.

Where as nearly all other life that we know changes according to their environment.

I suppose thats all part of our higher levels of intelligence.

My "p" and "backspace" keys are broken and every time I want to use "p" I have to copy paste it.Its probably the most annoying thing ever.Using Delete is just weird because it has to be behind the letter.

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
Off topic from what Pikaville is saying but still related to the overall topic of the board.

The other day I was talking to someone on how i'm concerned over how distant one of my closest friends had suddenly gotten, and that I feared that (for some reason) he would stop being my friend, despite the fact we've been friends for nearly 17 years now.

Last night I had this dream that he started back talking me for no reason and evidently "left" me to suffer. It reminded me on how important your subconsious is on how you think and dream, etc etc.

Top Bottom