• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

☁ Wichita Kansas Area Discussion ☁ Let's Play Every Mario Party Board

Should we start doing the Kansas PRs again?

• Total voters

supergamer001

Smash Ace
OK I said eff AFW even though it'll only be the second one I missed. I'll host tonight if no one else does ETA on hosting ~6 but I'll post when you can come over because I have an interview and I need to wait for my parents to go to the lake. Once that's done I'll clean up a little then post when you guys can come.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
My vids from yesterday's tournament:

Quarter-Finals (?):
Affinity (MK) x Nego (Snake) 1&2
Affinity (MK) x Nego (Snake) 3

Grand-Finals:
Affinity (MK) x Banze (Diddy) 1
Affinity (MK) x Banze (Diddy) 2&3

*I played in a really epic set against Kovarish (Olimar) that got recorded; we both played extremely well, but the computer crashed before the TO could save the files :(

Any of you guys have tips for me? especially against the Snake player?

I have a strong feeling that I'll be playing against him in crews tomorrow; the Diddy player is in my crew.

Holms

Smash Ace
Good matches all in all, afinity, though I'm sad to say that I have nothing constructive to say for most high tier characters. Sorry.

That last stock on the last match was kinda weird to me. How did Diddy end up clashing against the top of the ledge during his upB? He went over the ledge, started curving downward, and then his barrels blew up.

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero

Quarter-Finals (?):

Grand-Finals:

*I played in a really epic set against Kovarish (Olimar) that got recorded; we both played extremely well, but the computer crashed before the TO could save the files :(

I have a strong feeling that I'll be playing against him in crews tomorrow; the Diddy player is in my crew.
It's natural, but stop looking at yourself when you DI. You ran into almost every mine he set because of that. For the most part I thought you did pretty well. He plays a pretty aggressive Snake in the air; he came down with neutral or down airs whenever you chased and always back aired when he landed near you. Get prepared for those. I felt like you needed for grabs? Stages matter too, did you take him to FD? I thought Smashville or BF would be the stage to go to, PS1 works pretty well too. That's all I really have to say I think.

After you face beat (:)) Nego in crews, teach him how to momentum cancel. He still air dodges.

xDarkZhaox

Smash Cadet
-Ratman

I think this Nego guy has a pretty good idea on how to battle you in the air.. *copies aggresive air battle* too bad he doesnt spike like i can :D

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
actually air dodging is superior to aerials in momentum canceling in a variety of situations. snake is one of them if it's more important to cancel your momentum as quickly as possible than it is to fastfall your aerial. usually this means that you are hit at a directly horizontal angle or close to it. anyway you should air dodge in that case because you can air dodge out of hitstun sooner than you can aerial.

however if you are hit perfectly vertical or close to it, you should pretty much always fastfall your quickest aerial since fastfalling will have more of an impact when it comes to keeping you away from that boundary than if you were hit horizontally.

http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=4377

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Mr. Doom picked up Spamus. Mr. Doom wants to lose against somebody with Spamus. Should Wichita ever have low tier tournaments, Spamus will be Mr. Doom's character.

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
actually air dodging is superior to aerials in momentum canceling in a variety of situations. snake is one of them if it's more important to cancel your momentum as quickly as possible than it is to fastfall your aerial. usually this means that you are hit at a directly horizontal angle or close to it. anyway you should air dodge in that case because you can air dodge out of hitstun sooner than you can aerial.

however if you are hit perfectly vertical or close to it, you should pretty much always fastfall your quickest aerial since fastfalling will have more of an impact when it comes to keeping you away from that boundary than if you were hit horizontally.

http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=4377
Look on the date of that thread. Momentum canceling wasn't discovered yet. They've already proven that air dodging does virtually nothing in terms of slowing the character down; they continue to travel at the same speed before the air dodge.

I think if Snake is hit horizontally use UAir. If he's is hit vertically he should use BAir.

Depster

Smash Champion
4RCE is right, AD is crap for momentum. Quickest aerial, and sometimes fastfalling it, will always do better. Unless you're GnW, then you just need to bucket brake...

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
However, if you are Ike and are knocked horizontally offstage, an air dodge is your only option if you dream about making it back onstage. In some instances, momentum canceling will only kill you if you are knocked horizontally offstage. Believe me, it's happened. All of Ike's aerial attacks come out slower than his air dodge.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
It's natural, but stop looking at yourself when you DI. You ran into almost every mine he set because of that. For the most part I thought you did pretty well. He plays a pretty aggressive Snake in the air; he came down with neutral or down airs whenever you chased and always back aired when he landed near you. Get prepared for those. I felt like you needed for grabs? Stages matter too, did you take him to FD? I thought Smashville or BF would be the stage to go to, PS1 works pretty well too. That's all I really have to say I think.

After you face beat (:)) Nego in crews, teach him how to momentum cancel. He still air dodges.
They do random neutrals here... until I convince them to switch them over to stage striking lol

Thanks for the tips. I'll update you guys on how it goes later.

Fino

Smash Master
They do random neutrals here... until I convince them to switch them over to stage striking lol

Thanks for the tips. I'll update you guys on how it goes later.
I wish you would have played as reckless against me in wichita as you did against that snake. You ran into a lot of attacks and what not that could've bee avoided.

Also, you use your kill moves to often against snake. You make it easier for him to live to retardedly high percents... and it's snake

~Fino

Underload

Lazy
To Domo and Ky,

Here's the tentative plan for the Co trip:
Friday
8:00 (a.m.) - pick up wichita
*Gas and lunch breaks (or just bring your own food and save time)
5'sih (p.m.) - Arrive at venue
6:00- Guilty Gear
Saturday
10:00 (a.m.) - Brawl Doubles
12:00- Brawl Singles and BlazeBlue
6:00 - 11:00 -> Finals on all games

*Make sure you pre-reg at the supercon site so you save yourself $10 in venue fees
*Have an ipod? Bring it and we can hook that **** up on my car stereo

Est Gas Costs: $60 (per person) - this is a slight over-estimate depending on how I'm driving... mpg on car sucks, but can be resolved with efficient driving, or we can say **** it and drive faster

Standard SBR rules except 3 re-grab limit (Someone is afraid of IC's =] )

Also note, for stages:
PS1 is neutral in singles, but it is swapped with delfino for doubles
Corneria (<333333333333333) and Green Greens (<33333333333) are also legal

Also we have $10 (per peson) crew battles (4v4) with Albuquerque, and possibly others if you're up to it.... Can someone say free monies? (Let's just use these to cover gas costs XD)

~Fino
Just a few things that are bound to change.

First off, top 8 is getting paid instead of the planned top 2 (lol.). There's an estimated 1100 dollar pot (500 dollar pot bonus + how many people enter singles x $10), so everyone might as well feel the love.

Secondly, the 3 grab rule on ICs has already been extended to 5, might be lifted completely.

Third, either Dedede's standing and wall infinites are banned, or Corneria is banned. Depends on what the TO feels is best. Green Greens is legit, though.

Lastly, don't expect Brawl doubles to get done in 2 hours lol. Schedule is iffy at best when it comes to start times. Be here @ about 9:30 on Saturday, just to be safe.

Colorado will probably get in on those crew battles, too.

My question to you guys is: who from Kansas is coming to Colorado? I heard that there were 4 people coming, and I'm assuming that Fino is one of them.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
air dodging doesn't do anything to cancel your momentum. that's true. but often (as is the case for snake, ike, other characters without a fast aerial), it is the quickest way to get out of hitstun in order to jump or use a special. the jump/special is what cancels your momentum. the only difference between using an aerial or using an air dodge (aside from whether one is faster than the other) is that you can fastfall an aerial. this is very important for vertical hits where the vertical boundary is your primary concern. not as much for horizontal.

so air dodging definitely has its uses when it comes to momentum canceling, unless you are MK or squirtle or something.

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919

Quarter-Finals (?):

Grand-Finals:

where is this tourny at?

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
air dodging doesn't do anything to cancel your momentum. that's true. but often (as is the case for snake, ike, other characters without a fast aerial), it is the quickest way to get out of hitstun in order to jump or use a special. the jump/special is what cancels your momentum. the only difference between using an aerial or using an air dodge (aside from whether one is faster than the other) is that you can fastfall an aerial. this is very important for vertical hits where the vertical boundary is your primary concern. not as much for horizontal.

so air dodging definitely has its uses when it comes to momentum canceling, unless you are MK or squirtle or something.
When Snake is hit vertically/diagonally he should use down air and quarter circle DI. I think I see what you mean but I'm still going to believe that Snake aerial's are his best option. The only argument I really have is when I watch Ally or Razer play; neither or whom air dodge.

where is this tourny at?
San Paul, Brazil.

BoJangles

Smash Journeyman
The Genesis thread is the fastest moving thread in Smashboards history, I swear...
True story. I got off of work today around 5PM and have been trying to follow it ever since. :laugh: Not an easy task. I finally gave up following it because of school tomorrow. Oops. :dizzy:

I was cheering on Bwett, who did really well considering the competition.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
The BlazBlue/GG tourney was awesome. KY took first in Guilty Gear which was a really good and excitingly close match. I learned alot about Arakune and we got to hang out with Arkive while we were there.

Favorite quote-
Arkive: "I'm Arkive. I don't lose dittos. How did that even happen?"

Edit: ROFLMAO Mango: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYRNvn7gUY0

Edit2: Thought I wold post some Genesis results for you guys while I'm here

Melee Singles
1. Mango - Jigglypuff/Falco
2. Armada - Peach
3. Hungrybox - Jigglypuff
4. Zhu - Falco/Fox
5. Mew2King - Marth/Sheik
6. Scar - Falcon
7. Darkrain - Falcon

Singles Brawl
1. Ally - Snake
2. M2K - Meta Knight
3. Tyrant - Meta Knight
4. Dojo - Meta Knight
5. ADHD - Diddy Kong
6. DEHF - Falco
7. Fiction - Wario
8. SK92 - Falco
9. Judge - Meta Knight
9. Lain - Ice Climbers/King Dedede
9. Ultimate Razer - Snake
9. UTD Zach - Game & Watch

In Brawl Doubles, Fiction and M2K won with some serious luck on their side in several matches (One Match Fiction won the double team by double suicide of Ally and "Sean" Whoever that is). UTD Zach and Dojo did well taking 3rd and Havok and MikeHaze took 4th with Inui and Atomsk clocking in at 5th.

In Singles, M2K put Ally in Loser with a solid 3-0 in Winners Finals (Later reports put this as a 3-2 so I guess it was reported wrong). In GFs, M2K lost the first set pretty solidly to ally. He lost badly First game then won via Stage kill game 2 on Frigate. The next match was back and forth on FD with Ally winning and then the last match was Castle Siege with M2K losing a stock and taking 48 damage on his second stock while Ally had only taken 18. M2K was getting three stocked and killed himself (Ally tried to spike him before he could but killed himself as well trying to). Anti says M2K was sandbagging but M2K unplugged his controller before the win screen even came up so make of that what you will. The entire set was saved on replay except maybe that last match so hopefully they will get uploaded.

Karmacide

Smash Lord
Competition was sparse but fun at Anime Fest. I love playing cute cosplay girls. :d~

Brawl Top 3 was

1) Karmacide (scrub) (Snake)
2) Firestorm (Gasp, he still plays!) (Rice Climbers)
3) Aqua (nice work!) (Baseball player Fox)

Some okay players here and there, but no future pros like Zeton and Firestorm from Anime Fest 2008.

Blazblue Top 3 was

1) Karmacide (double scrub!) (Noel)
2) DJ (Hakuman)
3) dragonpoet (yay!) (Noel)

I got DJ's contact info and he'll be coming around for Blazblue. I'm recuruiting some people off of the Shoryuken.com forums and also I'm trying to get some nice girls to come by and play sometime. Also new players will come for King of Fighters. This group is growing. Just not much in the Brawl area.

Im probably going to host tomorrow or Wednesday.

Congrats to Ky for being the new best GG player in Kansas! I knew you were that good. :)

Congrats to Affinity for being the best Brawl player in Brazil!

Congrats to Ally for proving that SNAKE IS THE BEST!

Ah what a weekend. Everyone's a winnah.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
I am going to get my wii fixed soon and see about playing some of the Wichita bi-weeklys or something, I have to take my brawling to a new level.

Top Bottom