• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZSS Interview Thread - Y.b.M. Interview!

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Will you PLEEEAASE help me out with my SP thread by being an extension of my currently one-person think tank and testing? I really feel like this could make a huge difference in certain match ups, and even help boost her up on the tier list, but it will take a lot of effort in testing and theory craft, of which is difficult for me because my Wii refuses to play brawl, and i only have access to a reasonable working computer about once every two weeks. I'm typing from my Wii right now. -_-
My suit piece game is actually pretty good, although you can never see it in my videos because whether or not I keep the pieces is entirely the whim of how I'm feeling at the moment. You probably don't want to use it as an example though because I do a lot of the same sorts of things that you guys were railing against in the thread (tossing them straight at your opponent, etc). Here's how my suit piece game works:

1. Throw two away or throw two forward, OR throw one up and one forward and hold onto one

2. Perform a special or two to bait

3. Toss down so that when they attempt to punish it they get hit

4. At this point, the opponent is launched, and they will basically repeatedly get hit by any suit pieces thrown at them, so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Basically every time your opponent is neutral, toss a suit piece up or down to create a trap and when they fall into it, punish a lot. That's all I do.

What is love?

Do you play any other competitive games?

I've heard wifi talk from you , can I join in =3?
1. ZSS is love

2. No, although I am amazingly good at F-Zero GX story modes and I love C. Viper in SSF4. I think she plays really similarly to ZSS, entirely based on your level of intuition and reading ability, and in the words of ph00tbag is sort of a "your mileage may vary" character. If I had a board I'd play that game competitively.

3. Yeah absolutely. IM me at "risemix" and we'll set up a time. I love wifi as long as the lag is yellow or lower (Dazwa, Snakeee, Hippiedude, Sasook, etc and I all get green or blue orbs because we live within an hour of each other and it's fine).

What is your ideal tier list?
MK is probably in a tier of his own (ban him seriously). Snake, Falco, and Diddy are probably in a tier of their own after that, and I'm not sure what order anymore. Diddy Kong has fallen off just a bit, and though I might get crucified for saying this, I think the same thing about Snake who feels 3rd or 4th-ish to me right now. Snake has a lot of strong bases and is a great character but suffers a little compared to other "top" tiers because his match-ups just aren't "****" like the rest of them; he's just a good character that's hard to beat. Falco is probably closer to 2nd, even though Pikachu supposedly ***** him.

After that, the rest of high tier is pretty close in my opinion. Wario, Pikachu, Olimar, ICs, ZSS, Lucario, King Dedede or something like that.

I think a lot of "fatally flawed" or less popular characters could join high tier too, like Fox or Peach.

How do you suggest getting better at Brawl? Kinda vague but I'm talking in terms of mindsets, how to practice, what to do, ect.
I have employed the "level 3 computers" strategy and it's worked for me, although it took a while for me to completely grasp how to mix up correctly using this method and I'm still learning. I'm not saying that's the way to go, that's just what I do. As far as mindset goes, Brawl is not really a standard fighting game or even as close as Melee was. It's much more psychological. When practicing, I have learned that it's not as worthwhile to think of things in terms of follow-ups, but in terms of different strings of moves and at different times that they might not expect. I insist that each good player should be spending at least an hour a day in Brawl goofing off or something to keep up their technical proficiency.

Low-lag wifi is also very effective. Haters gon' hate.

mad hijack of the thread guys

What do you think of Other M, SFP?
Other M is not a good game, I'm sorry. I think the reason so many people like it is because we're currently experiencing a game drought on the Wii and people will play anything right now.

It's not a total failure as a game, but it is a failure as a Metroid game and as a quality Nintendo experience (the kind we've come to expect). I hold Nintendo to a much higher standard than this though.
Why do you hate the little blonde emo child of brawl? <3

What's your favorite texture hack for ZSS?
I hate texture hacks actually.

I don't hate Lucas. Mother 3 is one of my favorite games. He's also not really emo, he's just scared!

solecalibur

Smash Master
2. No, although I am amazingly good at F-Zero GX story modes and I love C. Viper in SSF4. I think she plays really similarly to ZSS, entirely based on your level of intuition and reading ability, and in the words of ph00tbag is sort of a "your mileage may vary" character. If I had a board I'd play that game competitively.

3. Yeah absolutely. IM me at "risemix" and we'll set up a time. I love wifi as long as the lag is yellow or lower (Dazwa, Snakeee, Hippiedude, Sasook, etc and I all get green or blue orbs because we live within an hour of each other and it's fine).
k i'll add ya and I play C. Viper and Seth in SFIV lol

edit - my univeristy's wifi is godly and I can play ppl from California with no Lag (from Ohio) and they just tripled its bandawidth this year lol

shlike

Smash Ace
how do you usually do when you go to tourneys?

how did you feel after discovering the dash attack lock that i'm so fond of?

why is my main punisher dash attack when it used to be d tilt?

is that bad?

what do you feel about the future of zss' metagame?

do you secondary any other characters?

do you play any musical instruments?

what are your favorite genre(s) of music/ bands that you like?

mayo or mustard?

paper or plastic?

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
how do you usually do when you go to tourneys?
Not well. Once I placed 25th/50. THat's OK I guess. I tend to get bracketraped and have to face PR'd players in round 1 a lot. It sucks.

how did you feel after discovering the dash attack lock that i'm so fond of?
I can count frames by sight. When you do dash attack, I know that came out in a 6/60ths of a second. I can't explain why. No, it doesn't help me when playing Brawl, it's just a novelty.

So I noticed that after dash attack there are about 6 frames in which you can't do anything but SDI. Dash attack has a start-up of six frames. I thought for a while that if you could play perfectly, it would be possible to link them together indefinitely.

Then I found out about buffering and tested it and it worked. Needless to say it was really satisfying, but I think I overblew the discovery at the time. Dash Attack Locks are good, but they're limited too.

why is my main punisher dash attack when it used to be d tilt?

is that bad?
I've stared using dash attack too, especially after failed techs or to punish rolls. I dunno if it's bad. It's not as good a set-up and comes out slower but covers more ground.

what do you feel about the future of zss' metagame?
ZSS is definitely a Wario character and not a MK character. She is about stalling, waiting, patience and the occasional very fancy combo. For that reason I see a future for her and I am cautiously optimistic.

do you secondary any other characters?
Peach, Pikachu, Ness, a few others.

do you play any musical instruments?
Saxophone, Clarinet. Piano. I also compose and produce dance music and some hip hop music with a friend. I work as his engineer. When I was in college, my ear training teacher compared me to Mozart. I don't think that's a good comparison, but I have a very strong sense of pitch and relative pitch and without tooting my own horn too much I am said to be pretty musically gifted (legal prodigy at 5 years old).

what are your favorite genre(s) of music/ bands that you like?
EDM, Trance, Electro House.

mayo or mustard?
I hate condiments.

paper or plastic?
Paper. I can't qualify for a credit card.

Mike2

Smash Ace
Very interesting. I'm trying to get into music production myself. Any tips for that?

Also would you be willing to play me over wifi sometime? I actually play Snake atm but I mained ZSS for 2 yrs but I'm trying to play better and better people so I can get better.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Who's your favourite Australian player?
I like a few Australian players. I like to watch Slice and Meteor Master, a lot. And of course, that Zero guy. But please change your name back. Your new one sucks. =(

Very interesting. I'm trying to get into music production myself. Any tips for that?

Also would you be willing to play me over wifi sometime? I actually play Snake atm but I mained ZSS for 2 yrs but I'm trying to play better and better people so I can get better.
1. The most important tip for music production is to use software and hardware you are comfortable with. FL Studio is fully featured and fantastic for beginners and also great for seasoned veterans. As you become more skilled you may venture out and try other software DAWs that you enjoy. I'm using Ableton Live right now and it's fantastic and has a reasonable learning curve. The rest depends on what you want to do, musically.

2. Yes, but there's no guarantee that I will actually be a better player than you.

How do you type with boxing gloves on your hands?
How do you guys manage to ask this question so many times?

I think I just answered your question with another question.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
My suit piece game is actually pretty good, although you can never see it in my videos because whether or not I keep the pieces is entirely the whim of how I'm feeling at the moment. You probably don't want to use it as an example though because I do a lot of the same sorts of things that you guys were railing against in the thread (tossing them straight at your opponent, etc). Here's how my suit piece game works:

1. Throw two away or throw two forward, OR throw one up and one forward and hold onto one

2. Perform a special or two to bait

3. Toss down so that when they attempt to punish it they get hit

4. At this point, the opponent is launched, and they will basically repeatedly get hit by any suit pieces thrown at them, so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Basically every time your opponent is neutral, toss a suit piece up or down to create a trap and when they fall into it, punish a lot. That's all I do.
Did you read the whole thread? The pont of the discussion is to come up with ways to essentially turn her into an item character in certain match ups, utilizing the SPs in a completely different way tha we're used to, so they actually last and are used as part of the play, rather than just a way to get quick damage/a KO at the start of a match. Things like big time stage control. I compare them to snakes grenades a lot in my thread. So we were railing against throwing them straight forward because that tends to get rid of your pieces all together.

It all sounds incredibly hard and dumb when said straight up like that, but if you read the examples I give in the thread (I know they are very llong and the whole OP is a sort of wall of text, but I've been told it's worth the read), then you'll see that it's a good amount more plausible than it first seems.

So yeah, this whole "tips and tricks" concept of just mindgaming the opponent into getting hit or just limiting their moves in such a way that in the meantime the pieces just fade is something I'm trying to avoid, as to make it a big opperation of very, very safe gameplay against the opponent. It might ot get extremely quick kills, but the hope is that it ends up so safe that you can actually get a much bigger lead than usual, just taking a good amount of time to do it.

Anyways, that brings me back to my origional point of, will you help me? Or does it still sound too fruitless to you for the effort of pursuit?

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I'm sorry but I don't have time to keep threads any longer. =( It's hard enough to keep the guide going and not let it become completely outdated.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
I'm sorry but I don't have time to keep threads any longer. =( It's hard enough to keep the guide going and not let it become completely outdated.
It's really only the OP in which I talk about it, but it's long as **** anyways, so I could understand that. I just made a condensed version that really got to the point and posted it in the thread, so that shouldn't take you too long to read, if you're up for it.

PepsiMista

Smash Apprentice
SMFP...
I wanted to ask you:

Coke or Pepsi? (I honestly had to ask)

Favorite Ice Cream Flavor?

Can you please give a Tip to someone who hasn't played SSBB in over a month?

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
It appears the thread has come to a halt, so I'm going to call a "24 hours left to ask SFP stuff" time period. GOGOGOGOGO

Orion*

Smash Researcher
your salty because im right LMAO

when people have absolutely no idea who you are in your own state, and they attend tournaments. and theres like. no records unless you dig into the archives of time (at least before i left NJ) to find proof you exist, as far as i know

therefore in the community OUTSIDE OF SMASHBOARDS you do not exist.

also, zss sucks

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Not enough ZSS players to like, only interview actual very active and good placing ZSSes.
Also SFP did a lot for ZSS to this point its quit right that he's being interviewed. I get your point tho.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
your salty because im right LMAO

when people have absolutely no idea who you are in your own state, and they attend tournaments. and theres like. no records unless you dig into the archives of time (at least before i left NJ) to find proof you exist, as far as i know

therefore in the community OUTSIDE OF SMASHBOARDS you do not exist.

also, zss sucks
i literally lol'd so ****ing hard

omg.

ily orion

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Nominating time ends 24 hours from kaleidoRuby's post nominating Lokii.

Orion you so silly

Orion*

Smash Researcher
because mlg means something. DSMASH DSMASH DSMASH

nobody even knew who that nickriddle guy was before tha

trust me, doom at least doesnt get completely *****

shlike

Smash Ace
I'm not saying he does, I just haven't seen or heard of any of his achievements while playing zss. And without any of that it's hard for me to believe that he's the best zss. It seems to be that your regional bias is your only evidence.

Top Bottom