• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZSS General Discussion

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Both can't be buffered.

Yet there's a 4 frame window for Wario, the window for Squirtle is 3.

Just hold shield and spam A.
It's because you have to spam grab to regrab Squirtle.
IIRC you have to wait a little to regrab Wario.
GO TO ****ING SLEEP, RAMSES!

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Hahahahaahahaa
hahaahahahaahahahahahaha

I just looked at your avatar
then I thought about which anime you like

then I laughed some more

Hahahahaahahaa
hahaahahahaahahahahahaha

Zero

Smash Hero
hahahaha

I just thought about your opinions
then I thought about your thought processes

then I laughed even harder at the irony

hahahahahaha
hahahhaha

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Something I've done recently is set the B-button to shield (I have X as jump, Y as special and A as attack). This makes powershielding a LOT easier, and in general it makes running shields a lot easier to pull off accurately. I personally like run-->shield-->spaced dtilt.

So..I imagine that most of you still have B as special, and both X and Y are jump but you only use one...perhaps switch the unused button to shield?

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
- Open up a ball point pen and take out the interior part
- take a match and heat the back end (where there's no ink but spare plastic part)
- Get it to the point of being soft enough to mold
- Push it into a screw to make it mold into a head
- Wait for it to cool

Open GCN Controller?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Something I've done recently is set the B-button to shield (I have X as jump, Y as special and A as attack). This makes powershielding a LOT easier, and in general it makes running shields a lot easier to pull off accurately. I personally like run-->shield-->spaced dtilt.

So..I imagine that most of you still have B as special, and both X and Y are jump but you only use one...perhaps switch the unused button to shield?
Some people put the X/Y to shield.
That's smarter imo.

Regardless, just using a shoulder button should be no problem at all for powershielding :/

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
For the record, I've had Y set to special for a VERY long time, and the B-button was not being used, so I set it to shield. I find it makes jump-->immediate special a lot easier when using X to jump.

I didn't set Y to special just so I could set B to shield.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
...It was just a suggestion dude.

Besides, the point was to take something useless (a button that you don't use, if you have one) and turn it into something useful (by setting it to a different command) and then try it out. How could this be bad advice? If you like it, great, now your play has improved slightly. If you don't like it, don't use it. :\

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Apology accepted.

Uh, just a heads up I guess. There's a pretty big tourney happening on Feb 4th (Revival of Salt) that I'm going to be attending, and AFAIK it's being streamed by VGBC on their channel on twitch.tv. And some top players from the US are going to be there so if you don't wanna watch just for me, you can watch cause it's actually a decently sized tourney with big names XD

So can I count on the ZSS boards to meatride me all the way to GFs? If not in the chat, then at least in spirit ;)

DeLux

On the contrary Brosuke, I tell everyone I meet that they should change their control scheme (and take the loss of sucking for two or three weeks) as my first suggestion on how they get better

And I'm not talking about just one or two buttons either

I use:

A - Jump
B - Special
C - Smash
D - Don't Care
L - Shield (custom made quarter length springs)
R - Attack (custom made quarter length springs)
X - Attack
Y - Grab
Z - Jump

All of it is designed and revolves around ATs

Salem

Smash Champion
*Hears controller mapping talk*

Set Y to specials, R to grab and tap jump off or gtfo.

*Hears talk about Powershielding*

... seriously? training mode > Onett > green shell > Powershield practice.

*Hears talk about Kingtoon*

KT is a wifi player.

I lose to him online and beat him offine.

*Hears about Nick Riddle and Salem*

Salem.

K, I'm done here, I'll be back later, can't wait when the weeaboo's here are converted to furries.

Yes, I am waiting for that.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
On the contrary Brosuke, I tell everyone I meet that they should change their control scheme (and take the loss of sucking for two or three weeks) as my first suggestion on how they get better

And I'm not talking about just one or two buttons either

I use:

A - Jump
B - Special
C - Smash
D - Don't Care
L - Shield (custom made quarter length springs)
R - Attack (custom made quarter length springs)
X - Attack
Y - Grab
Z - Jump

All of it is designed and revolves around ATs
I've heard of this before, and it's purpose (partly for the most epic DI ever), but I'm curious as to why you have quarter length springs. Is it just comfort, or is there a technical purpose there too?

DeLux

I've heard of this before, and it's purpose (partly for the most epic DI ever), but I'm curious as to why you have quarter length springs. Is it just comfort, or is there a technical purpose there too?
Doing some testing, I noticed that the button pads for the shoulder buttons have issues resetting to neutral without a spring because of the L/R button's size AND how it's engineered. By quarter cutting my springs and then stretching them to about 2/5ths the normal length (which conveniently seats the button just slightly past how far out the button pad will send it alone), I ensure consistent smooth action in comparison to only a button pad and despringed.

I'm curious why the **** you jump with A.

You should have had A as grab for ICs.
By in large, I will use the cstick to grab to ensure I ISSDI, so having a grab button on the face of the controller near where my thumb is resting primarily (between the B button and Cstick) isn't very important to me.

Having an A button on jump is for out of shield options and buffered SH options. A is the only button on the face of the controller that is adjacent to all the other primary buttons (b, x, y), so working out of shield frame perfect via buffering becomes easy and similar to pressing one button.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Doing some testing, I noticed that the button pads for the shoulder buttons have issues resetting to neutral without a spring because of the L/R button's size AND how it's engineered. By quarter cutting my springs and then stretching them to about 2/5ths the normal length (which conveniently seats the button just slightly past how far out the button pad will send it alone), I ensure consistent smooth action in comparison to only a button pad and despringed.

By in large, I will use the cstick to grab to ensure I ISSDI, so having a grab button on the face of the controller near where my thumb is resting primarily (between the B button and Cstick) isn't very important to me.

Having an A button on jump is for out of shield options and buffered SH options. A is the only button on the face of the controller that is adjacent to all the other primary buttons (b, x, y), so working out of shield frame perfect via buffering becomes easy and similar to pressing one button.
I'm technically retired... so it might be really fun to dink around with this sometime. Cause what tournament life do I have to lose? Oh yeah, none! :-p.

You'd use the c-stick to shield grab, that is... yes? Will the movement (ISSDI) and grab both come out regardless of the amount of shield stun you are put in?

DeLux

Without going into complicated frame math/shield hit stun formula/etc, I don't think there are (many) moves that have enough shield hit stun to extend past the 10 frame buffer window.

So by in large that's the case.

However, I have documentation where the shield hit lag frames remaining after the cstick input + the shield hit stun is larger than 10 frames and thus exists outside the buffer window, so I guess it's not full proof. However, I seem to be able to circumvent any issues by also clamping down on the attack button after tapping the cstick because attack is on the R button :D :D :D

Top Bottom