• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

Snakeee

Smash Master
Okay, fine, maybe we are indeed wrong about how MKs should play against ZSS, but that still doesn't answer his question - he's having trouble against campy MKs, not aggressive ones. Are we correct in saying to bait them or no?
You're right, I shouldn't just point out mistakes and not answer the question it's not nice lol. Ok, if they're being really campy then I'll put on the pressure with side-b/paralyzer/d-smash as long as the meta isn't a power-shielding god like my brother or Infinity (who I played some friendlies against at COT4). If he is like that, I'll...just be patient I guess and sort of bait him like you said. For instance, maybe jump towards him and retreat with up airs. Metaknight can't pressure me if he's just standing around since he has no projectile. For what Shadow Tactics said, the first thing I said to myself after thoselast two games with M2K was that I shouldn't have ever approached him.

Ok so I'm sitting here watching CotT4 and Snakeee's doing the Flip Jump stall on the bottom platform of Norfair. Now I was wondering, can you possibly work it like the Shino stall with Sheik in Melee, where if you time it perfectly you become completely invulnerable to lava?
The only time you are completely invincible is if you are down Bing straight from a lower platform to a higher one on that stage. Which is a pretty amazing thing btw :chuckle:

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
The only time you are completely invincible is if you are down Bing straight from a lower platform to a higher one on that stage. Which is a pretty amazing thing btw :chuckle:
I'm gonna have to practice that to show off on Norfair now. Currently I just pressure my opponent who's racing for the safe room and then boost jump over the wave when it comes.

Adapt

Smash Lord
I'm gonna have to practice that to show off on Norfair now. Currently I just pressure my opponent who's racing for the safe room and then boost jump over the wave when it comes.
why jump... just shield or airdodge the wave. Jumping over is too much effort and has the chance of a SD if you don't jump high enough

I love Norfair, I am so used to it that I barely have to interrupt my play at all when the wave comes. I'll just shield or dodge or grab the ledge and then side-B my poor opponent who is stuck in the bubble (if they didn't get hit)

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
why jump... just shield or airdodge the wave. Jumping over is too much effort and has the chance of a SD if you don't jump high enough
I've never had a problem with missing the jump, so I keep doing it. And normally one person goes "Wow I didn't know you could do that!"

Adapt

Smash Lord
Yep... ZSS is the best character to do it with imo. Just make sure to use up-B to boost your jump height

canthandletheSpeculosity

Smash Journeyman
Yep... ZSS is the best character to do it with imo. Just make sure to use up-B to boost your jump height
Wow I just learned something new...

I just constantly chase and pressure my opponent until like the last second before the wave and if I do it right, they will get hit with it due to hitstun or forgetting about the wave and concentrating on me. Norfair still is imo ZSS' best stage against everyone except GnW and PROBABLY mk, havent tried cping him there yet. Just go lylat for him.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
It's only legal in one tournament a month here... Oh well. It lets me learn the rest of the CPs... FL legal ones at least. (Not many. We're picky.)

cba

Smash Master
Luigis Mansion was banned in NY weeklys because Bums DK was like a GOD in the stage.

Garde

Smash Ace
I haven't seen a list of characters ZSS's full jab works on. Does anyone know which characters this works on outside of GW (and I'm aware of the fact that CCing/DIing down might change this)?

Linkissocool

Smash Rookie
Um okay so, say you're on Battlefield, you down B and land on one of the platforms...is there a way to go under the platform before landing ? I've seen it happen I just don't know how it's done/ if there's even a way of doing it.
I've missed a lot of kills with this one. :(

cba

Smash Master
Um okay so, say you're on Battlefield, you down B and land on one of the platforms...is there a way to go under the platform before landing ? I've seen it happen I just don't know how it's done/ if there's even a way of doing it.
I've missed a lot of kills with this one. :(
if you do the flip kick she will land on the platform. If you do the flip jump and the animation is ending she will land on the plat.

Linkissocool

Smash Rookie
Oh...so is it absolute that you cannot execute the flip kick and land on the bottom of the stage then ?

sasook

Smash Champion
Oddly enough, I tend to go through the platform more than land on it with the flip jump - to my annoyance, I might add.

I think it may have to do with the height at which you start the jump. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Adapt

Smash Lord
Here's how it works

At any point that you are in the flipjump animation and you have not activated the kick, you will fall through the platform.

If you extend the kick before you reach the platform you will land on the platform. I don't think there is a way to travel through it.

If you finish the flipjump animation completely and you can attack again, you will also land on the platform,

This trick is useful on pokemon stadium 1, on the windmill portion, because the windmill blades count as rotating platforms, so you can flipjump through the blade and then activate your kick for a surprise attack.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
You won't find any clan better than the ZSS board here. Except for maybe the Proficient Zero Suit Group on AiB, but that's invite only.

Linkissocool

Smash Rookie
Well I was just kind of looking for people to hang out with/chat since I literally know no one who mains zss, but yeah I saw the Proficient ZS group a while ago. :p

Shadow Tactics

Smash Cadet
Dsmash-Up B combo

I know the dsmash to up B combo is very unreliable and not worth using most of the time, but sometimes it seems to work even against the best of players. I've managed to do double dsmash-up B(then they come down straight infront of me)-double dsmash to some players who have been good enough to do thing such as tech my bair stage spikes consistently, always DI out of my usmash etc. Why is it that it sometimes works perfectly?

jibbyjaont

Smash Journeyman
I know the dsmash to up B combo is very unreliable and not worth using most of the time, but sometimes it seems to work even against the best of players. I've managed to do double dsmash-up B(then they come down straight infront of me)-double dsmash to some players who have been good enough to do thing such as tech my bair stage spikes consistently, always DI out of my usmash etc. Why is it that it sometimes works perfectly?
Maybe it is because they wouldn't see it coming. Usually it works maybe one or two times. After that the opponent usually gets smarter.

Garde

Smash Ace
It's fine to attempt on the rare occassion. The thing about Brawl is that most combos are not guaranteed. The double d-smash to up+B is not a guaranteed combo, meaning the opponent can escape it.

Thus, depending on this as a source of damage is not particularly a good thing, but choosing to eschew it entirely isn't necessarily a good idea since most of ZSS's combos aren't true combos in the first place. It's being able to mixup what you're doing to make the opponent guess incorrectly that will score this combo, but I would never, ever rely on it. If you use this too much (more than once every few matches), your opponent will likely be able to anticipate it since they know you like to use it.

Remember, and this holds true for ALL fighting games, the less you use a tactic against an opponent, the more likely it is that they will fall for it. The reason this happens is because they usually become more concerned about the current tactics you are employing instead of focusing on the combo you used once.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Double down smash grab is the most reliable combo :).

Words...

Remember, and this holds true for ALL fighting games, the less you use a tactic against an opponent, the more likely it is that they will fall for it. The reason this happens is because they usually become more concerned about the current tactics you are employing instead of focusing on the combo you used once.
tru.dat

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
yea, i applied for it. but i didnt know that it was inv only :(
"The proficient Zero Suit group" members:

7thfonon (AiB ZSS board mod and respected player)
artifice (personally never heard of him, but I don't pay much attention to AiB ladders or the forum all that often)
Charby (Consistent tournament placement)
CubaIsDeath (see: 'artifice')
DeliciousCake (Hey, that's me!)
FadedImage (Respected player)
karasu (see: 'artifice')
myRoboticClaw (duh)
RareTruffle (Tournament placement and respected player)
SiNiSTER.Doc (group mod)
Snakeee (duh)
speculosity (Respected player)
staindgrey (ZSS board mod and respected player)
ZSGarde (I've seen Garde around, but not familiar)

Anyways, these are just how I know people, and their achievements are not limited to this list. There's only 14 people in the group if you counted.

Adapt

Smash Lord
I'm not denying that, but i use more than just utilt.

Jab, utilt, uair, usmash, and occasionally grab, dtilt, and ftilt.
Utilt is my fav though.

canthandletheSpeculosity

Smash Journeyman
It just depends where they are. I only use utilt if Im absolutely sure it will connect when they are behind me or slightly above me because it is counterable due to lag. otherwise I use pivot lower ftilt or pivot single jab when they are behind me and dtilt when they are in front of me OOS. if they are above me like say if I shield marth's fair I immediantly use uair OOS.

Uair OOS is one of ZSS best and unique techniques imo because it comes out so quick and she can jump really high to do it. It counters almost everything. marth's fair, mk's dair (when timed right) and his up b if done immediately after shielding. Uair is one of those moves you can spam (when I mean spam I mean use it and not have to worry about decay) when they are in the air because it's one of her main damaging moves. Even though ZSS may not have the best OOS game on the ground because of her slow shieldgrab (but it does make up for having range. you can shieldgrab things like snake's ftilt unlike other characters), she makes up for it for being able to counter moves that come from the air because of it's speed and priority.

I think ZSS' best move OOS on ground is dtilt. It's quick, efficient, hard to counter, and can be a combo starter.

Top Bottom