• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
I duno I see that stage as a great CP against anyone except maybe MK.

In addition to what Dazwa said: Our suitpiece game is ******** there, for one. Uair fair and bair all kill very easily if you keep them fresh. Watch out for side b hitting the objects on stage, if you plan it it can last through a spotdodge or airdodge easily, but if you accidentally hit them the hitlag can easily be punished. Since dsmash doesn't lag on hit the objects are amazing for increasing its hitbox without any negative effects. Tether phasing is a gimic you can use on this stage to surprise them once or twice.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
The only problem I have with our armor game on Brinstar, is if you spawn on the right platform - you immediately lose 2 of your pieces due to the slanting of the stage. I tend to prefer to use at least 2 armor pieces, but if you love 1-piecing it up, the stage does it for you. :laugh:

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
It's definantly not a good stage to play against MK on. I suppose it could go both ways, but I find FD and SV much easier to play against him on. Also, considering the fact that MK has so many ******** gimmicks and such a high stage control on Brinstar, it seems much more bothersome than other stages.

So... do we have anymore interesting gimmicks on that stage aside from Dairing the stage tendons?

Dakpo

Smash Lord
that refreshing thing is amazing to know!!!!!!! and is there a way to choose were you spawn? what is tether phasing? And can someone explain the whole importance of choosing ports?
I have also seen nick riddle destroy the attachment to the platforms to make them flip up and set up a great nest to Dsmash and side B.
Nefarious B are you telling me that if i down smash a tendon or something, the hitbox of Dsmash increases?

noradseven

Smash Lord
I can't seem to find the good "ROB infinite" demonstration video anymore, is there one?
Don't know, but quick run down.

Go in practice mode slow down the game to 1/2 speed.

1)Get point blank to rob.
2)D-smash
3)jump tapjump off his head
4)mash d-air, you should be standing on the ground in neutral now.
5)go back to step 2 and repeat until 250-300% and over B.

We beat Rob anyways and it is a unnecessary time tax, I would go and learn the Diddy infinite instead its cooler, and more useful.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Oh, this isn't for me, it's a newer ZSS who knows the basics but doesn't know the infinites, and is interested in seeing how it looks.

Might just send her your way, since SWF is the best lol.

earla

Smash Lord
when mk's run in shield, what are our best options?

i find grabbing can easily get us punished. what is safer?

noradseven

Smash Lord
when mk's run in shield, what are our best options?

i find grabbing can easily get us punished. what is safer?
You mean they run in and shield, shorthop backwards??? Do nothing, I mean seriously ZSS can't beat shielding unless you want to take a huge risk.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
As a Link main, I find it awesome fun to play with the faster and more agile, but less powerful, ZSS.

I've been trying to beat an Ike main, however, and while damage racking isn't a problem (d-smash combos rock), the side special, f-air, f-smash and b-air are usually stale and/or too weak to perform a decent kill until about 150%~180%, or if the off-the-edge d-smash->d-throw->down special spike works out.

Is that what I'm doing wrong? Should I absolutely not use her side special and b-air until it's killing time? Or should I be using her u-air more to star-KO Ike?

Some help, please.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Knock Ike off edge.
Get in the way of his side-b to force an up-b.
Hit Ike after Super Armor.
Ike dies at 50.
GG.

Or, just keep hitting him until he does.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Knock Ike off edge.
Get in the way of his side-b to force an up-b.
Hit Ike after Super Armor.
Ike dies at 50.
GG.

Or, just keep hitting him until he does.
How to beat Ike pick ZSS, problem solved XD, no seriously I felt bad for our Ike main, that **** was just terrible, Ike has almost no approaches mid screen on ZSS and when you knock him off he dies.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
hey I got a question to ask I think is weird.

When you are close to the edge like really close to it and you are below the stage something weird happens. When I use UpB the whip does not come out and grab the edge but I get the boost of the jump. It is very hard to pull off but is this little glitch already known? This just made me laugh a bit xD

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
is nair a good move to use?

why don't I see more ZSS ue up-smash? it deals so much damage and can combo into itself. really helps with killing

Zero

Smash Hero
hey I got a question to ask I think is weird.

When you are close to the edge like really close to it and you are below the stage something weird happens. When I use UpB the whip does not come out and grab the edge but I get the boost of the jump. It is very hard to pull off but is this little glitch already known? This just made me laugh a bit xD
It happens when your character moves in and out of the "tether range" really quickly, so it tries to grapple, but then you move out of the range, so you get a little boost from the upB that you would have gotten anyway.

@Ripple: Nair is a decent move to use. You really need to space it properly for it to be amazing. I 'm trying to implement it into my game to cover my landings a little better, as well as a general spacing option, as it's quite safe when you space it right and then auto cancel it.

As for usmash...it's meh. It doesn't deal so much damage and it most definitely won't be killing very early.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
so I have a question again ^_^

The Wario infinite. I finally learned it and I am putting it into my game against him. What are the specifics of the Infinite like does it start/finish @ a certain time? Plus the only way out of it is if I mess up the infinte right?

this is really good at getting him to high percentages plus I like the fact 1 lucky Dsmash = yay x3

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
so I have a question again ^_^

The Wario infinite. I finally learned it and I am putting it into my game against him. What are the specifics of the Infinite like does it start/finish @ a certain time? Plus the only way out of it is if I mess up the infinte right?

this is really good at getting him to high percentages plus I like the fact 1 lucky Dsmash = yay x3
The infinite... Grab release > d-smash?
It's not legit. Wario can DI away and jump/bike out of the d-smash.
All you get is another grab.
**** yeah, 2%. I hope he's not at 80 or he can mash out.

tuestresfat

Smash Apprentice
1. since side-b and dsmash are such terrible spacing tools... why don't i see zss's space with sh bairs?

2. what characters should we be throwing 2 of our suit pieces away at the beginning of the match? those with good glide tosses like marth? just a guess.

3. tap jump on or off? the only reason i could think of for having it turned on is for safer uair oos. is that all?

Zero

Smash Hero
1. dsmash isn't a terrible spacing tool.

2. Playstyle preference. If you're confident that you can control all three pieces, then go for it.
3. Preference.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I actually use up smash somewhat, on stages with larger platforms such as Halberd and Yoshi's Island mainly. Occasionally I'll use it for shield pressuring / punishing. Stages like Battlefield, if they bounce on the platform, you can wait and punish how they get up with an aerial easily since there isn't much range to cover. If they get up with an attack, you can wait and use an up air, fair or bair; plus they can't roll but so far out of your short hop aerial distance because the platforms are so small and restrict it.

But stages with larger platforms give them a larger distance to roll. You can always use an aerial if they decide to use an attack get up, but if they roll, sometimes it's necessary to just dash -> up smash. At least it'll get a few points of percentage + knock back in.

Zero

Smash Hero
ZSS definitely can't say no to extra percent, especially as it refreshes her important moves. So I also use usmash to pressure under a platform, then react to what they do if shielded, or chase if it connected.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Also, agreeing with Ruby, downsmash is in no way a terrible spacing tool. It's best to use it as a punisher rather than some sort of offensive strategy, but either way, it's still good for spacing. You could even charge it if you need to, since most people don't expect a ZSS to charge their downsmashes, it really does wonders.

Side+B is pretty bad for spacing if you're grounded or at close range, but tech-chasing with it is great, especially offstage. If you want to use it offensively, distant yourself and SH + side+B. Makes things much easier since you just want the tip of the hitbox to connect. If they shield it, at least they'll be pushed away from you enough to avoid being punished.

The amount of armor pieces is stage reliant to me. I always throw one piece toward the opponent, then I often mix it up between sets and stage changes. Final Destination, all you really need is one piece since it's not as easy keeping track of them all if they get scattered. Stages like Battlefield, I always throw my pieces upward or downward just so they cover the stage in vertical axis. Since it's a smaller stage, that limits the opponents movement. If the armor piece stops bouncing, immediately short hop and Nair to regrab the piece, then glidetoss it upward where ever your opponent is.

Armor rain is amazing on Battlefield. I don't know how many times it's forced opponents to avoid them and land right in a downsmash. lol

Zero

Smash Hero
B-sticking is worthless for ZSS. You can get the effect of B-sticking with your control stick, which is all you need for ZSS.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
The only two characters I really see B-Sticking helping drastically is Lucas and Peach because they have a good number of gimmicks that depend on using a special + pressing the C-Stick at the same time. B-Sticking isn't necessary though, it doesn't help us in any way whatsoever.

JOBOT

Smash Journeyman
this might have been answered already but i couldn't find it...

What is the best way to DI/ momentum cancel with zss in order to survive longer?

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Quickest aerial -> Jump is always the best momentum canceling tactic.

A lot of the time I use Uair to get ZSS out of the hitstun, then I use her flip jump toward the stage, so she still has her aerial jump. Since ZSS's up+B doesn't give her any vertical height, I try to make sure she has the flip jump or her second jump handy.

Mix it up, either should work fine.

EDIT: If you're being knocked upward, Uair -> Fast fall -> Dair would probably work best. Throw a jump in there too so it registers as a stall 'n' fall Dair.

noradseven

Smash Lord
this might have been answered already but i couldn't find it...

What is the best way to DI/ momentum cancel with zss in order to survive longer?
u-air into down B is the best way, but now you have no down B for recovering, but if your going to die without it.

Top Bottom