• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

kuenzel

Smash Ace
stages with low ceiling are great. on that regard, smashville, green greens, corneria, rainbow cruise are all great choices.
That's strange, I always thought that her light weight means low ceilings are a disadvantage. I know her uair is great, but what are some other over-the-top KO moves?

I also like stages with uh... "close sides" (whatever the term for horizontally close stages are) because I often KO edge-guarders with the flip-jump attack.

edit: I also play with tap jump off-- I just switched recently, so I too can ground up-b easier

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
That's strange, I always thought that her light weight means low ceilings are a disadvantage. I know her uair is great, but what are some other over-the-top KO moves?

I also like stages with uh... "close sides" (whatever the term for horizontally close stages are) because I often KO edge-guarders with the flip-jump attack.

edit: I also play with tap jump off-- I just switched recently, so I too can ground up-b easier
Depending on where you land b-air on a grounded opponent, they will go off the top and not the side.

sasook

Smash Champion
Don't feel like searching through all the pages to see if it's been answered:

What's the best aerial to use with ZSS when momentum canceling?

cba

Smash Master
Well, definitely not air dodge for horizontal recovery. Down B works the best, but I think up air and then down B is better for some reason.
horizontal, down b i use at times.
nice compliment/sig

Yyrd

Smash Cadet
Hello Zamus Forums!

I just picked up Zero Suit Samus a few days ago, but I am working intently on getting better. I really do love this character, because it's moveset is much more unique than the other characters I use.
Below are a few of my friend's videos that were made very recently.
Advice and criticism are welcome and appreciated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIgPpNTdf9o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIgPpNTdf9o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orLRFjDJ74o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSCN2vj7GfI
The following is what I know I'm doing wrong:
  • Dair
  • Excessive B+Down
  • Missing Grabs
  • Using B+Over at too low of a %.
  • Not using enough fair and bair.
Help? :urg:

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Don't worry about using too much Plasma Whip, actually. Most ZSS mains actually spam the move to keep their opponent at a distance and to pressure them with relative safety. It's not a KO move. It spaces, pressures, sets up edgeguards and gimps recoveries. It's also a damage builder.

You are right about using more fair and bair when your opponents are at high percent, though. Those are your KOers because of their high knockback at a low angle. Although I tend to use fair for damage building and gimps, especially out of dsmash.

Really, I can only give the same advice I give to everyone else: Start out spamming Plasma Whip, and take note of when it works and when it doesn't. When it works, keep using it. When it doesn't find another move to use that will work. Then start peppering your play with dsmash.

Also, use grab less. And make sure that any use of it is later in matches, as your opponent begins to get used to your playstyle. Snakeee does this, and it's highly effective.

cba

Smash Master
i was in GB and someone called me a "NOOB" cause i am "CHEAP" cause i "ABUSE THE ARMOR PIECES, ITS NOT FAIR". like WTF? isnt that what im supposed to do? lol

Snakeee

Smash Master
i was in GB and someone called me a "NOOB" cause i am "CHEAP" cause i "ABUSE THE ARMOR PIECES, ITS NOT FAIR". like WTF? isnt that what im supposed to do? lol
Do you really want to see MY feedback on that site? :laugh:

This is my favorite one:

"meh all zss does is spam dsmash , b, downb,upb,overb,and back air" - kirbycpok

btw ZSS is really hard to play on wifi especially when it's laggier than average. Sometimes I use someone else for wifi.

Saki Zatoichi

Smash Ace
Hey ZSS boards. I'm a Lucario/Diddy user who decided to pick ZSS up as a secondary. Two reasons, one being somewhat stupid, and one not so much. First reason being the new Fatal Frame game. I love Fatal Frame and I love Suda51. You can unlock a ZSS alternative costume for your character. Second reason is ZSS plays a lot like Sheik, but better. And I enjoy playing as her because of this.

Now, one simple question I have. How does ZSS KO? So far all I know of the second hit of her Fair, Bair (in certain situations), and Forward+B.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Hey ZSS boards. I'm a Lucario/Diddy user who decided to pick ZSS up as a secondary. Two reasons, one being somewhat stupid, and one not so much. First reason being the new Fatal Frame game. I love Fatal Frame and I love Suda51. You can unlock a ZSS alternative costume for your character. Second reason is ZSS plays a lot like Sheik, but better. And I enjoy playing as her because of this.

Now, one simple question I have. How does ZSS KO? So far all I know of the second hit of her Fair, Bair (in certain situations), and Forward+B.
Fair, bair, uair. Flip Jump and Plasma Whip are good for gimp KOs.

Also, ZSS really doesn't play much like Sheik at all.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Well, Sheik is similar in a way, and it works out for me since she's my secondary.

And all those moves Ph00tbag listed are the main KO moves. Her KO power is surprisingly good, but what makes it somewhat easy to get a KO are the facts that she has several moves with good power, and also that most of these attacks are done in the air or off the stage where they don't have to be sent flying as far for the kill.

cba

Smash Master
Do you really want to see MY feedback on that site? :laugh:

This is my favorite one:

"meh all zss does is spam dsmash , b, downb,upb,overb,and back air" - kirbycpok

btw ZSS is really hard to play on wifi especially when it's laggier than average. Sometimes I use someone else for wifi.
LMAOOO, like if her jab, dash attack, nair, and so on KO.
its FREAKING DUMB, people everyday seem to get stupider.

And ZSS is my secondary, its a big problem for me cause ZSS is like Water and im like fire. were just opposites, regardless, i love playing as her.
and i think kirby matchup is a 60-40 on kirbys side. that little **** ball gets me mad.
btw, you are NOT below zer0, are you?

cba

Smash Master
I'm not what?

And, I think the Kirby match up is ZSS' favor especially after all my matches at C3 against Chu Dat.
oh. there is this ZSS in GB who goes by the name "Below Zer0", i thought it could be you.
and gawd, maybe i just dont know how to fight kirby cause i just get *****.

Snakeee

Smash Master
I'm guessing you're basing the match up off of wifi in which case it would probably be Kirby's favor lol. Don't judge anything by wifi, and too much of it without live practice isn't too good IMO

K

koka

Hey everybody, I've been using ZSS for a while now, and after seeing some vids I was hoping I could improve the way I play with her. I'm pretty bad at Brawl, so I've been checking out some of the AT's listed in the tactical discussion section, but there are a bunch of em, and was just wondering which ones were useful when playing with ZSS. I don't have a Wii and only get to play once a week, so I don't have the time to learn them all and decide which ones to use myself (so far, I've only learned glide tossing and hugging). Thanks!

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Learning ATs is getting pretty specific. You should just work on learning the character, instead. Then you can work on anything advanced that there is to do.

K

koka

Learning ATs is getting pretty specific. You should just work on learning the character, instead. Then you can work on anything advanced that there is to do.
Hey, thanks a lot for replying. I'm thinkin about taking your advice, but what if I develop bad habits? Just like when I started off, I only did full jumps, and it took a while just to be able to shorthop. I know how to use her well for a casual player since she's the only character I use, and can perform most of the moves and combos used by the other ZSS players, I just need to get quicker. I think it'll be better if I start with the AT's now, instead of getting even more used to a bad playstyle. I've read that you're really good with her, so what'd you do to get better?

kuenzel

Smash Ace
Personally, I find the fastest way to get better is play against people marginally better than you (I played against my older brothers for a long time, then started to go to tourneys), that way you can see the flaws in your playstyle, what gets punished and such. Then you'll begin to see your opponent's flaws and develop a counter-strategy! (of course this is over the series of many matches)

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Kuenzel's pretty much got it. Otherwise, the way I got to where I am (which, admittedly, isn't great) was I just tried to learn the most effective way to play ZSS that fits my playstyle. I do this while playing some of the best local players and that's the way I developed.

And Melee is most certainly a far more technical game than Brawl, so there really aren't nearly as many techs to learn as in Melee.

kuenzel

Smash Ace
. I was just kinda curious if it was like Melee, where you need to know AT's like wavedashing to be good.
Ya, thats one of the reasons I gave up trying to get good at melee, I was frustrated at trying to wavedash, and I felt like the margin of skill bettween everyone else and me was WAY too big...
That's why I'm going brawl, and not looking back!

kuenzel

Smash Ace
If brawl had melee mechanics where do you guys think Zero Suit Samus would be placed on the tier list?
If there was as much hitlag as melee, you could pretty much infinite every character with the d-smash chain! XD
But seriously, I think ZSS would really benifit from more hitlag. Wavedashing could help with side-b and spacing, and L-cancelling pretty much helps no matter which character.
Sadly, there isn't enough melee machanics in the world to save the f-smash.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Yeah, you're right, I guess there's no quick fix. It's just going to take longer than the other players I know since I'm more of an FPS girl. I was just kinda curious if it was like Melee, where you need to know AT's like wavedashing to be good. Hehehe, thanks a lot kuenzel, guess I've got a lotta practicing to do.
The most important AT in Melee is L-cancelling. Wavedashing is really only needed for characters that benefit from great spacing (Marth) and for mindgames (C.Falcon.)

cba

Smash Master
The most important AT in Melee is L-cancelling. Wavedashing is really only needed for characters that benefit from great spacing (Marth) and for mindgames (C.Falcon.)
luigi, and IC also need it, aside from fox.
and also i find very little use of WD when using peach.

and if ZSS' WD would be like her broken glide toss it would be nice. ^.^

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
If brawl had melee mechanics where do you guys think Zero Suit Samus would be placed on the tier list?
ZSS would easily be much higher, with L-canceling giving her fair less landing lag, plus higher hitstun, she'd be a combo machine, and with higher KB, she'd be KOing much earlier.

Yankee

Smash Apprentice
Sup guys, i finally got a new comp =)
Anyway, i think i may have found some sort of new AT. I searched around and didnt see anything, and i figured with the large emphasis some charcters put on items, if this was discovered it would be in use already. So what happend its ai grabbed an item and was able to do two up airs without throwing it. I tried to recreate it in training and have so far failed. So has this happened to anyone or is it already discovered?

kuenzel

Smash Ace
I remeber seeing in the AT thread that all characters can F-smash without throwing an item. I can't recall how exactly, something to do with the C-stick and holding the joystick and stuff... anywho, maybe this relates somehow?

edit: This is quoted in the AT thread

- Smashes Without Item Throw
How to Perform: Hold A when picking up/drawing an item. While holding A, press the C-stick left or right.
Effect: Character performs their F-smash without dropping whatever item they're holding.
OP: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165281
Video: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0v0PL3UySyU

--Maybe if you jump while holding A and uair with the c-stick? Its far-fetched...

---2nd edit--- Ignore the above - I can answer your question.

When an item is in the air, and you catch it in the air, whether by air dodging or doing an aerial attack, you can proceed to do any other aerials without throwing the item, until you touch the ground.

Yankee

Smash Apprentice
But it seems like i immediately picked it up and jumped. Now that i know that little bit of information, maybe i managed to jump and immediately attack, allowing me to do aerials. I guess if anyone can do it consistently it can really help out during the first stock. Im thinking up air or front air to suit piece. If this is what happened, do you think it can be used ?

kuenzel

Smash Ace
Snakeee made a post of this technique (can't find original post)

smash throw a suit piece down, then short hop and catch the piece by doing an up air- then throw it down again, etc.
It combines the hitboxes of the up air and the suit peice to trap your oppponent. Is this what you might be thinking of?

Yankee

Smash Apprentice
Snakeee made a post of this technique (can't find original post)

smash throw a suit piece down, then short hop and catch the piece by doing an up air- then throw it down again, etc.
It combines the hitboxes of the up air and the suit peice to trap your oppponent. Is this what you might be thinking of?
When i did this i didnt compare it to what snakeee did because it appears as if i i picked it up and shortly after jumped. What happened was i did a down throw then quickly picked up the piece, and up air'ed the cpu. It almost seemed like it did it simultaneously or maybe slid a little. Im going to go watch it again.

Top Bottom