• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

NeoZero

Smash Apprentice
Humor me just this once, K?

I've noticed that most other forums have a weekly match-up discussion. We only have orions match-up thread, mostly discussed by this board, and snakeee overall opinion on the matchup odds. This is the question I've been wondering:

Why dont we combine those two and create a bigger, more complete match-up guide? Everything would be at one place, and we could have it more complete then orion's, since some match-ups have virtually no imformation, or the information given is obvious to just about everyone who's played the game (no offence). That being said, they're probably tons of good information that's in there, lets just put it all together and create something better!

That, and it might liven up the board some... it's hasn't been active since hylian dropped by, and even then, not the good kinda active.

Please, feel free to flame me and call me a troll, I don't mind, just please tell me "why" we dont have this somewhere in here.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
You posted in the right thread, and it wasn't stupid, so I don't think anyone is going to feel the need to flame you.

I would probably answer you with something along the lines of: because the ZSS community is incredibly small, and most of us don't have the time or money to travel and participate in lots of tournaments, most knowledge along the lines of "what to do against what character" is lost mostly out of lack of play against those characters. Weeks like that would be dull and probably have very little information. Aside from that, we also have other boards that DO have weekly character discussions, come on here and ask us for our opinion, since most of them have never played a ZSS before, or at least not a good one.

It is a good idea though, but I'll wait for Snakeee's input.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I've heard several people make some murmurings about weekly match-up discussions. I'm in support of the idea, because if nothing else it'll give the board something to talk about for the next 39 weeks. Like Cake said, though, the ZSS community is small, and there are only so many people that have the experience and knowledge to have much input. I'd only be able to give intelligent input based on experience for maybe seven characters out of the cast, and for most of the rest, I'd only be able to contribute theorycraft. For some characters I wouldn't be able to contribute anything at all. I don't think my situation is very unique in the ZSS community.

Snakeee

Smash Master
I wouldn't mind it, and others have suggested that before. I think Orion's thread needs a LOT of updating though since almost all of the information on it is old and some of it may be wrong now.

I still haven't put my input on every character in my thread either. Actually, we can just put those on Orion's part of the thread and quote me on them.

EDIT: Ph00tbag, you contribute a lot to these boards though. Even if it's just theorycraft, you can always have me or someone else confirm it. It's not a big deal if you're wrong about something either.

M.K

Level 55
I just recently picked up Zero Suit Samus, and I love her. However, I do have some "noob-like" questions, so bear with me please :bee:

1. Zero Suit Samus's Down B- Does it spike only at the beginning of the kick (the first few frames), or can I have the kick initiated and just come into contact with another person over the entire course of the attack to spike them?

2. Neutral Air- Any uses? I know it's fast, but anything else?

3. Kill moves? I know Side B and UpAir kill fairly quickly....

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
1. Only the first frame of the kick is a spike.

2. Comes out fast, good for unexpected combos, otherwise not too useful.

3. Plasma Whip, Flip Jump, U-air, F-air, B-air, F-smash (charged at high percentages) Not in any particular order

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
2. I actually like using it for shield pressure, since ZSS is hard-pressed to find any kind of close range move to hit shields with.

However, as for this weekly match-up thread, I think we should start that. We could divide up between theorycraft and match experience for each character. Does anyone in particular wanna host the thread? Cuz I wouldn't mind kicking it up.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
We can have it started with TheZeroSuit account to make it easier to manage if someone doesn't have the time. I'll have to ask Bouse for the password again.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
ahh... so, do I have to pass some creepy backroom test to get access? I draw the line at sucking... things...

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
No, Bouse just made it a couple months ago and gave the password out to the trustworthy regulars on the board. Granted, I think he's the only one that actually updates with it, but we could use it if we wanted to.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
ahh for sure, pm me the infos? I'll draft up a post on match-up discussion, got nothing else to do tonight...

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
in hindsight, we probably should have moved this discussion to a more private interface. However, I have no regrets. (thanks cake)

Adapt

Smash Lord
No, Bouse just made it a couple months ago and gave the password out to the trustworthy regulars on the board. Granted, I think he's the only one that actually updates with it, but we could use it if we wanted to.
****.. I guess I'm not trustworthy :(

NeoZero

Smash Apprentice
This is completely off topic from what was said before, but I frankly don't care. It's still a question.

If metaknight were to be banned, would this improve ZSS's odds at tournies, or would the influx of metaknight players migrating to other top-tiers make it an undesirable situation for our beloved heroine.

Yankee

Smash Apprentice
I guess with the situations that you present:
1. Yes, it will help our odds.
2. As of now, any character has better odds against a character not named metaknight, so this wouldn't affect us that much. The only differences would be different characters being mainly used at tournies and possibly advances in the meta games for those characters.

And as of right now meta is NOT getting banned. If for some reason he is still dominating by about 9 months from now then maybe we can make an argument.

Adapt

Smash Lord
This thread is for any questions

As for your question... it depends on how well you know your MK matchup. I seem to have more trouble with Pit and Ness than MK. I don't really think it would change much.

Snakeee

Smash Master
This is completely off topic from what was said before, but I frankly don't care. It's still a question.

If metaknight were to be banned, would this improve ZSS's odds at tournies, or would the influx of metaknight players migrating to other top-tiers make it an undesirable situation for our beloved heroine.
It could possibly lower our odds. More players would switch to Snake and DDD who are tougher match ups than Metaknight (IMO at least)

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I kinda agree with Snakeee, although I disagree with his assessment of Dedede, who I don't think is any tougher than MK.

Snakeee

Smash Master
I kinda agree with Snakeee, although I disagree with his assessment of Dedede, who I don't think is any tougher than MK.
Well I think it's slightly tougher like 55/45 as opposed to 50/50.
In the long run I don't think if they banned meta it would make too much of a difference, but it would still hurt more than help.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
However, mastering Dedede and Snake is much harder than mastering MK. I think that banning MK would actually force people to go back to characters that they would rather play with, not just force them to other top tier characters.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
However, mastering Dedede and Snake is much harder than mastering MK. I think that banning MK would actually force people to go back to characters that they would rather play with, not just force them to other top tier characters.
My experience with Snake is that you don't need to master him to play well. Most of the Snakes in the nation do very well with just tossing a few grenades, laying some C4, Snake Dashing, and walking around and tilting out of shield. They don't do well at the highest levels, but they still make life hard for the rest of us without much effort.

And yes, Snake is among the characters I'm prepared to whip out in friendlies. My strategy is almost exactly as I've described, and it's actually incredibly effective.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
My experience with Snake is that you don't need to master him to play well. Most of the Snakes in the nation do very well with just tossing a few grenades, laying some C4, Snake Dashing, and walking around and tilting out of shield. They don't do well at the highest levels, but they still make life hard for the rest of us without much effort.

And yes, Snake is among the characters I'm prepared to whip out in friendlies. My strategy is almost exactly as I've described, and it's actually incredibly effective.
this is true.

i play snake probably more than anyone but zss just because he was the easiest to learn. shield ftilt and pull nade shield if they're too pressuring

Snakeee

Smash Master
Yeah that's the general strategy but you need to mix things up with Snake against people that know how to play against him

jibbyjaont

Smash Journeyman
do you think Luigi is good for a doubles partner?...if so can u please explain why?...if not, who do u think is more compatible?

Yankee

Smash Apprentice
I don't play doubles that much, but i think that the advantage of having weegee as a partner is stun to weegee's fsmash or up-b. The best character by far to do doubles with is g&w. The dsmash into his bucket creates the strongest move in the game and kills at extremely low percents.

LordMars

Smash Rookie
Hey, why do you think that:

7/3 Opponent

Falco

I mean, we got alot of stuff against falco, carwling for his shls...and you can downsmash chain him to some decent percent and his recovery is kinda easy to edgeguard...

Could you explain that huge advantage for falco?

Cheers

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
you probably should have posted that in Snakeee's matchup thread, where I'm guessing you got that information.

Anyways, Falco is a soft counter for ZSS because his spacing options completely shutdown ZSS. You can't properly sh side-bs and paralyzer shots against Falco, it's just not possible. Crawling isn't the best option either, because he can come down on you with a d-air and put you in your shield, somewhere that ZSS is very uncomfortable being.

Plus, he can chaingrab and his edgeguarding is pretty good, (dair spikes and bair stage spikes). He's definitely the hardest spacie to hit with a d-smash, and it only combos to 40% anyways. Luckily ZSS is a beast in the air and she can combo him pretty hard, if you properly space/bait his d-air (he'll use it a lot to try and stop you). And, like you said, his recovery isn't very great. If his recovery was better, he'd easily be a hard counter, 8:2 matchup.

M.K

Level 55
Sorry if this isn't the right place, but the Best/Worst Stage thread is over 2 months old, and I wanted to avoid an unnecessary bump for a simple question.
How does Zero Suit Samus do on Pictochat? IMO, she does pretty well. The flat stage is a real plus, and her whip goes through some of the obstacles for a kill.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Sorry if this isn't the right place, but the Best/Worst Stage thread is over 2 months old, and I wanted to avoid an unnecessary bump for a simple question.
How does Zero Suit Samus do on Pictochat? IMO, she does pretty well. The flat stage is a real plus, and her whip goes through some of the obstacles for a kill.
well a bump would have brought attention back to it and enticed me to update it lol.
Technically, she is pretty good there and forward B/d-smash through obstacles is useful at times like you said. It definitely gives her more of an edge than most characters get from the stage.

I personally don't like the stage too much because of how random it is though. It's even banned in my region now.

canthandletheSpeculosity

Smash Journeyman
quick question: normally inexperienced (with zss) DK's when recovering using their up b are usually dsmash>down b spike bait. but the better ones i face come in low with their upb evading the dsmash. what i wanna know is if he goes low and u do a quick edgehog (or long tether edgehog), will he not get back on the stage because he wont be able to rise over the edge?

Top Bottom