• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Zelda Video and Critique Archive ~ (obselete thread/check stickies)

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Couple things I noticed.

You use dsmash as a panic move.
You don't ever jab.
You need to dtilt more.
As you play better opponents you will start to realize what works as an OoS punisher and what doesn't, you can't just use dsmash whenever your opponent is next to you.
The people you play are decent but they do a lot of silly things
You need to space more, I realize their friendlies but their is no way Captain Falcon should be getting inside of Zelda's walls that easily.

Good things:

You understand how to DI
You use purple Zelda
Your cstick will break in a couple months due to overuse and you will discover tilts! xD

In all seriousness though you play like a lot of newer Zelda's play and you have a lot to work on but I can see a good basis for your Zelda.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Couple things I noticed.

You use dsmash as a panic move.
You don't ever jab.
You need to dtilt more.
As you play better opponents you will start to realize what works as an OoS punisher and what doesn't, you can't just use dsmash whenever your opponent is next to you.
The people you play are decent but they do a lot of silly things
You need to space more, I realize their friendlies but their is no way Captain Falcon should be getting inside of Zelda's walls that easily.

Good things:

You understand how to DI
You use purple Zelda
Your cstick will break in a couple months due to overuse and you will discover tilts! xD

In all seriousness though you play like a lot of newer Zelda's play and you have a lot to work on but I can see a good basis for your Zelda.
Ok :) So, I dont really ever find instances when jabbing is the best option, the only time I use it ever is at low percentages so I can do jab->dash grab. So when are some instances when you should use it over other things? Oh, and I noticed, lol I usually do dtilt more, I didnt really in those vids, but thats means not consistantly so Ill work on that. I do use dsmash alot sadly.

Though, I think these are from a couple weeks ago, and since then Ive been DI'ing with reverse NL a lot more, Ive been so proud xD I wish I could put up newer ones, but I didnt have any within the last week or so that were like "critique" quality :p I shall work on spacing and not dsmashing as much O.o

Edit: Also, I think Ill put some more up in a couple weeks, or whenever HSS isnt busy :p, to show if I progress or not, cus the reason Im not doing awesome is cus I didnt know what I was doing wrong, so I want more negative stuff than positive ^_^

Veggie123

Smash Journeyman
I just watched the first video. I'm not the best critiquer but I noticed that there were quite a few missed opportunities to edge hog the Falcon which could have easily gotten you a stock advantage.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I just watched the first video. I'm not the best critiquer but I noticed that there were quite a few missed opportunities to edge hog the Falcon which could have easily gotten you a stock advantage.
I dont find it safe to edgehog CFs honestly....especially PS1 where the edges can be lethal to you if he grabs you during recovery. And man you're right, I dsmash waaay too much Mars O.o Im making a vow to not do that now lawl ^_^

Veggie123

Smash Journeyman
Well there's risk to edge hogging all characters if you stay on it for too long. Captain Falcon's recovery in particular isn't too scary since it lacks a long lasting hitbox that could outlast your invincibility. Plus at that point you were at higher percentage anyway so it doesn't hurt to take a little risk if you're about to die anyway. Then again I tend to gamble too much at high percents, so it might just be a personal preference. :upsidedown:

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Ok :) So, I dont really ever find instances when jabbing is the best option, the only time I use it ever is at low percentages so I can do jab->dash grab. So when are some instances when you should use it over other things? Oh, and I noticed, lol I usually do dtilt more, I didnt really in those vids, but thats means not consistantly so Ill work on that. I do use dsmash alot sadly.

Though, I think these are from a couple weeks ago, and since then Ive been DI'ing with reverse NL a lot more, Ive been so proud xD I wish I could put up newer ones, but I didnt have any within the last week or so that were like "critique" quality :p I shall work on spacing and not dsmashing as much O.o

Edit: Also, I think Ill put some more up in a couple weeks, or whenever HSS isnt busy :p, to show if I progress or not, cus the reason Im not doing awesome is cus I didnt know what I was doing wrong, so I want more negative stuff than positive ^_^
If you're predicting a SH approach from your opponent it's better to throw out a jab instead of an usmash because with a jab or an fsmash there's far less of a chance that you'll get punished. Usmash really shouldn't be used all that much for a lot of reasons. I personally try to keep it as fresh as possible because it is a surprisingly good kill move.

It's all good don't worry I don't have any good vids of myself up either supper gay huh but yea get out to a few tournaments if you're parents will let you so you can really see how easily Zelda gets gayed. Once you get gayed really bad by a good player if you decide to stick with Zelda there is so many little tricks you can pick up on and master if you seriously want to put in the effort and put up with all the gay. lol. whatever the hell I just said.

EDIT: @ FLUXUS haha good stuff bro I was very impressed by your Zelda. Way to not use Dins Fire and play it smart.

Couple things:
Fsmash more. yea I know its weird telling somebody to smash more but really you should utilize her best spacing tool as much as possible.

You kind of get caught in the same trap as me where I run all over the place throwing out lightning kicks and SHAD a lot. believe me when I say that Zelda is better when you're playing a more patient style. Walking is better for Zelda imo than running in certain scenarios. I know its hard to make the transition from MK and not being able to play aggro but really, you cant.

I like your usage of nair and dtilt. Keep it up and dont be hesitant to mix in a jab every now and then as well.

Fluxus

Smash Cadet
Got it, I need more opinions guys! Me and AznFinesse just did some hands on Zelda practice IRL but I need more opinions. Hopefully I'll be able to take some more vids with my improved Zelda soon! I play her about 5-6 hours a day so I think I should improve drastically over this next week.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
You know... I really enjoyed those videos :) I was pleasantly surprised considering how little you've played of her.

Okay in certain matches you dtilt'd and they tripped... and then just ran away, waited for them to get up, then grab them. It worked for you - but in this situation you can just grab them anyways. If they're further out when they tripped, just walk and grab instead. This way you don't need to fall back on dsmash and stale it. There were also times when you could have locked them for even more damage. The majority of characters can do nothing but SDI away from locks post 50% (fresh)... later for heavies, earlier for lighties. That 50% 'mark' goes up depending on how stale your dtilt was before...

I liked the bair OoS to end the stock on the wolf! You can bair OoS everyone except reeeally small people like squirtle... works especially well when the opponent uses moves with little pushback - the majority of jabs and tilts fall into this category. But it's all about experimenting...

Fluxus

Smash Cadet
Thank you so much, I'll keep working. I've made progress since these videos so I'll keep it up.

Points of emphasis for me I think:

-Nayru usage
-Jab usage
-FW practice
-Patient play.

I'll keep trying and try to get new vids for you guys ASAP :D

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Ok, so after I got the ciritique from Mars, I played some people I usualy get beat pretty badly from, and so I stopped dsmashing a lot, and I made an effort to dtilt more, and even with just that I did soo much better. And I was playing Marths and Snakes, who are better than decent, and I was instantly doing better because they were so used to my playing like noob Zelda, they said I improved a ton just by that. So thanks Mars <3 I wish I couldve saved a video or 2 but most of the good ones were over 3 minutes and I havent hacked my wii. But, when I get some new ones Ill psot some more!

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Try to learn buffering dtilts to get it out in the fastest time possible... you want to eliminate that ducking animation! You can do turnaround dtilts with hardly any lag at all... same goes for spotdodges and OoS. Just buffer correctly and you'll be using a decently fast move that could in turn provide more damaging options later on.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Lol Zeldspazz actually listened to my advice. Good job man I can't wait to see some new vids of you.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Lol, why would I ask to be critiqued if I didnt follow the advice given? :3

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Because that's what most others do?

As more serious notes:
So when are some instances when you should use it (jab) over other things?
Mostly to stop some dash attacks and aerial approaches or when you want to use a "safe" attack. Zelda's jab has very little cooldown lag and good reach so there're some situations it can be very useful.

Also, I think Ill put some more up in a couple weeks, or whenever HSS isnt busy
I'm equally busy every day for the following weeks so send your vids to me whenever and I'll record them as soon as I can.

@Fluxus: I'll give you some critique tomorrow... if you haven't uploaded some new videos by then that is.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Well like if someone saw vids of my Zelda and told me to like use Dins Fire more or tell me something like dont bair so much i would be like screw you hahahaha jp.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Well like if someone saw vids of my Zelda and told me to like use Dins Fire more or tell me something like dont bair so much i would be like screw you hahahaha jp.
xD But you know you dont really need much advice, I know that I needed some so Ill take what people give me :)

-Mars-

Smash Hero
O I need lots of advice i'm like one of those players who can take good players to 100% last stock every game but never wins:(

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
I'm going to make this really quick since I'm in a terrible hurry:

1. Practise Farore's wind more. Zelda can't affort recovering above the stage and floating down from there.
  2. Practise landing Lightning kicks more. There were too many sourspots and too few sweetspots.
  3. Avoid approaching from above or with Fair/Bair. It doesn't work.
  4. Learn to capitalize on the Dtilt and forced trips more. (aka what Kata said)
  5. Despite what Marsulas said, get familiar with Din's fire. It can add to your options. Just never start spamming it or try to use it as a normal projectile.
Overall, your Zelda looked very promising. She's already looking quite good, especially considering how short time you've played with her. Just keep working and you'll keep getting better.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
@zeldspazz: Looked good, although does this mean... you have an another video uploader person?!?

*cue drama a la Peach boards*

@Fluxus: I dunno, I wasn't too impressed with your opponents in these videos... However, your recovery seems to have gotten better. On the downside, it seems you're using Din's fire a bit carelessly or too close to your oppponent now. From what I can tell it also seems that you're often getting too close to your opponent with other moves too when you should try to utilise Zelda's range more.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Nah HSS, the person who uploaded this is making the video for the entire clan, so he needs to upload them. And thanks :) I have some longer combos Id like to get up however, most of those were only 2-3 hits.

Fluxus

Smash Cadet
@zeldspazz: Looked good, although does this mean... you have an another video uploader person?!?

*cue drama a la Peach boards*

@Fluxus: I dunno, I wasn't too impressed with your opponents in these videos... However, your recovery seems to have gotten better. On the downside, it seems you're using Din's fire a bit carelessly or too close to your oppponent now. From what I can tell it also seems that you're often getting too close to your opponent with other moves too when you should try to utilise Zelda's range more.
No where did I say my opponent's were good, lol. They're aren't. The focus is my Zelda. Thank you for the tips.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
New videos.

Please rate and critique if you haven't already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXKjofMrbGU (vs snake)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pe5OupKiyc (vs snake again)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG1eeqQ4elw (vs MK)
Flux some good stuff in there.....i'm excited because your Zelda is actually interesting to watch and you mix it up a lot which is a necessity when playing as Zelda. I liked the drop through platform uair in the first Snake vid. Also liked the baiting airdodges.....very important when your playing Zelda.

Use jab. I cant stress this enough........no one ever uses it and it's one of her better moves imo. Learn to land lightning kicks a little more......this will come with playing her more I guess. Also learn to teleport cancel....can make your mixup game a lot better. Always DI with bair.......I think that dair might be better on vertical moves but im not sure. Learn the 16 directions of Farore's, mastering her bad recovery is crucial to aviding as much punishment as possible. Nice use of Dins in the MK vid.....one of the few matchups where you should be using Dins. Cut out the usmashes and dsmashes a little bit. Um thats all I can really tell at the moment.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
No where did I say my opponent's were good, lol. They're aren't. The focus is my Zelda. Thank you for the tips.
Yeah what I tried to say was that it's harder to correctly judge somebody's skill level when they're not fighting players that are either equally good or better than them.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Yeah so.

When my friend sends me the replays from last night, I need some kind soul to upload them (and not laugh at how garb my Zelda is offline x.x!)..... any takers?

Btw, Marsulas, I got a few Din's kills just for you. ;)

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I said a kind soul. :mad:

Juuust playin, I'll let you know when he sends them. Probably won't be for a week or so since I have people visiting this weekend.

Thanks!

Jo0

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone! I just got back from a long break. Decided to use my original main again. I also want some inputs to see how well I'm doing now and what can I do to get better.

Zelda (Jo0) v Yoshi (Mr.B|ack) Freindlies 9/29/09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8B_yvAnRac

Zelda (Jo0) v Mario (Mr.B|ack) Freindlies 9/29/09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vz8C6QoD28

I will re-record the videos later next week. My camera has been acting up.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Zelda (Jo0) v Yoshi (Mr.B|ack) Freindlies 9/29/09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8B_yvAnRac
too much nayrus, you should really cool down on those. against Yoshi you often do better just shielding most them anyway. you dashA a too much, that will get you punished especially against the better Yoshis who will pivot grab you, you did stop it as your damage got higher, but don't be so reckless even at low percents. when recovering don't challenge the edgeguarder so much especially air people. i give you brave points for attempting to gimp, but against Yoshi its best to not try it so often and just throw out a dins to position him. you roll a bit too much especially on your opponents respawn, that will cost you.

Zelda (Jo0) v Mario (Mr.B|ack) Freindlies 9/29/09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vz8C6QoD28

I will re-record the videos later next week. My camera has been acting up.
same rolling, nayrus and dash A problems. later it seemed as if the mario had caught onto you. there were lots of moments in this one where both of you stood around doing nothing, you should poke more w/ Fsmash more, unless you were trying and those were just accidental Ftilts. try not to go aerially above people so much even at an angle, that Zeldas blind spot.

hope this helps somewhat, although your apponent wasn't very good.

Jo0

Smash Cadet
too much nayrus, you should really cool down on those. against Yoshi you often do better just shielding most them anyway. you dashA a too much, that will get you punished especially against the better Yoshis who will pivot grab you, you did stop it as your damage got higher, but don't be so reckless even at low percents. when recovering don't challenge the edgeguarder so much especially air people. i give you brave points for attempting to gimp, but against Yoshi its best to not try it so often and just throw out a dins to position him. you roll a bit too much especially on your opponents respawn, that will cost you.

same rolling, nayrus and dash A problems. later it seemed as if the mario had caught onto you. there were lots of moments in this one where both of you stood around doing nothing, you should poke more w/ Fsmash more, unless you were trying and those were just accidental Ftilts. try not to go aerially above people so much even at an angle, that Zeldas blind spot.

hope this helps somewhat, although your apponent wasn't very good.
Thanks Jiggly, I'll be working on those soon. Nayru's has always been my main weapon since I started using zelda, some rounds I try to play it smart by using it when it counts, but I guess it's a bad habit of mine. Oh the mario round, we just got done eating burgers so I was a bit sluggish that's why you saw the random f-tilts. Thanks again on the input, I'll be working on my game soon. :D

hcfwesker

Smash Cadet
I'd like to add soem of mine. I just started picking her up recently. I'm Zelda in all of these ( NO sheik at all) ...

hcfwesker VS MBmoney (Ganondorf)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NF_WvmnXpo&feature=channel_page

hcfwesker VS Clause ( Samus )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OGxqtDra0c&feature=channel_page
hcfwesker VS Zadra ( Samus)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W94uuPHg2OQ&feature=channel_page

hcfwesker VS PMC66 ( Wolf )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z2beAalfA0&feature=channel_page
hcfwesker VS PMC66 ( Wolf )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocdEJAEnOxc&feature=channel_page

Status
Not open for further replies.