• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Rion

Smash Journeyman
They use the autolink angle, that means it hits in the direction the hitter is moving, since Zelda isn't moving it would just default to a 30 degree so iunno if it's the best solution.

Edit wait one of the hitboxes in usmash does use autolink. I cry.
So confused by what they had in mind here...

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Okay time to start angling FW2. Think they DI behind you more often than not.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
eh. The best use for utilt now is antiair above her. It stops most things that aren't a blade or immovable object. Now if only usmash has a purpose...
U-smash isn't terrible for trapping spotdodge/airdodge, as long as the character isn't too small.

I think generally you don't want to try to contest people above you unless they are in range for U-air. It's better to try to be in range for F-air/B-air in contrast, while U-tilt is potentially a really great punish against dodges because it has relatively low cooldown after the lingering hitbox which allows juggles.

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
So Nairo commented on my Zelda highlight video, haha. :)

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
OMG GameAngel64 confirmed for true Zelda godmother! Zhime was MY inspiration to finally download PM back in the day, which ended up putting my slow growth towards playing Zelda over other chars into full blast, which lead me to become completely commited to Zelda.

I guess that would make me "gen 3" GameAngel Zelda then.

I actually watched that same Melee Zelda combo vid a long time ago which made me slightly more interested in her, now that I think of it. :o

Also, @ SBphiloz4 SBphiloz4 : I couldn't tell at first, but YES. That Sakuya avi ftw!

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
OH YES. Someone that also knows Touhou! ^^

*high fives screen*

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Hello, I'm new~ Except not really, I just spent three years lurking, hahaha. Sooo, what's up, guys? You can call me Fern, by the way.

Are we talking about how horrible the hitboxes in her smashes are this time around? :'´D

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
I was already playing Zelda a long time but dark musicians melee Zelda video inspired me more to focus on melee Zelda kicks.

also welcome Fern from lurking land to posting land

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Hi Fern! Welcome here! ^^

I almost forgot that DarkMusician was also a HUGE reason why I'm playing Zelda today. Too bad it was really only his Melee Zelda that did much. It was so long ago since I seen that Zelda.

Fernosaur

Smash Lord
NNID
Fernosaur
Thanks for the welcomes, everyone! :D

^ By port priority you mean if the player controller number affects anything, right? I don't think there's something like that... can't think of anything in her moveset that could be influenced by ports.

Also!! So I spend the afternoon playing in FG for some time and as it turns out it looks like people are having a really hard time timing their dodges right against Din's Fire.

The laggy explosion seems to throw people off a lot, and I thought maybe it could be used to punish rolling away from you if timed correctly. It would require super nimble fingers and of course the range is limited but I've gotten some pretty sweet damage sending the fireball where they're going to roll. Prolly still won't work with Mac, though, but for slower rollers (like Samus) it could be of some use~

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I'm getting a phantom hit on the sandbag with dtilt and dsmash at the smae time, so they must have the same range.

nayru's has less horizontal range than dtilt and dsmash

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
LOL dat Nayru's Love though.

It's a weird thing to say, but I know this guy at my university that plays Zelda, and half the time, he just uses Din's Fire and Nayru's Love like super crazy. The approach is almost impossible for some reason, because he can actually aim Din's lol. In a sense, playing against that guy, I'm glad Nayru's actually has low range. ://///

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Nayru's having less horizontal range than dsmash is surprising. Huh.

Maybe I should use dsmash more. The launch angle is great against characters like Mega man, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, and Mac. But the range...on top of that unnecessary endlag!

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY does farore's wind not have hitboxes on the first frame zelda is vulnerable

was that really necessary

basic zelda guide thing video w/e coming soon btw

CommanderPepper

Smash Cadet
NNID
CommanderPepper
3DS FC
5455-9558-8826
I'm watching Nairo and I need to use up b as a punish, the elevator is a good tool. Also shoutouts to Nairo, you the best.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY does farore's wind not have hitboxes on the first frame zelda is vulnerable

was that really necessary
I expect it was a design to make the amazing power of the move have absolutely 0% priority. Since if you run into a hit-box with FW etc, etc blahblahblah.

Pretty much an annoying balance friendly design... That sucks.

Let it be known that this is also the design for Sheik's vanish. If you put a hit-box out where she reappears, WHILE she reappears, she can be hit before the smoke hit-box hits you. Once I managed to DAir a Sheik right out of her vanish reappear and gimp her lol.

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Does this one frame vulnerability also happen when you snap the ledge? I swear I've been knocked away before by a REALLY well timed Dsmash or sex kick...
And if it does happen on the ledge, does it affect all teleports?

Rion

Smash Journeyman
I expect it was a design to make the amazing power of the move have absolutely 0% priority. Since if you run into a hit-box with FW etc, etc blahblahblah.

Pretty much an annoying balance friendly design... That sucks.

Let it be known that this is also the design for Sheik's vanish. If you put a hit-box out where she reappears, WHILE she reappears, she can be hit before the smoke hit-box hits you. Once I managed to DAir a Sheik right out of her vanish reappear and gimp her lol.
Yup yup, sounds about right yes.

I've run into this problem too on the 3DS when trying to sweetspot the ledge. Some people flat out smack me right as I reappear to grab the ledge despite being sweetspotted. The timeframe is extremely small though, so it doesn't happen too often.

However I can foresee that being a huge detriment in higher levels of play when timing becomes more commonplace. If there's a vulnerability frame, it sure as hell's gonna be exploited haha.

On that note, it's so funny when people think I'm trying to sweetspot the ledge but I "accidently" teleport into them instead. Extra laugh track if it's a KO.

Rion

Smash Journeyman
oh there is a frame of opening on reappear? No wonder I got booty bumped by peach before lol. But the timing really has to be spot on :o
Oh yeah it is extremely small. Can't be more than a frame or two. I've flat out teleported into some attacks without getting smacked some times, but the possibility is definitely there.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Yup yup, sounds about right yes.

I've run into this problem too on the 3DS when trying to sweetspot the ledge. Some people flat out smack me right as I reappear to grab the ledge despite being sweetspotted. The timeframe is extremely small though, so it doesn't happen too often.

However I can foresee that being a huge detriment in higher levels of play when timing becomes more commonplace. If there's a vulnerability frame, it sure as hell's gonna be exploited haha.

On that note, it's so funny when people think I'm trying to sweetspot the ledge but I "accidently" teleport into them instead. Extra laugh track if it's a KO.
I also see this as a HUGE problem in the future. Our recovery will be garbage if we can be edgeguarded with a simple sex kick...

And yeah, I love it when the circle pad/analog stick gives me a blessing in disguise with the surprise Farore's KO.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I noticed that vulnerability frame on the ledge as well. Managed to place it a few times against Sheik with a Dair. It's really satisfying.

By the way, I finally tried the WiiU version, and oh my godesses, all thoses sparkles, i can't handle it. Zelda is really beautiful in HD (especially the pink one, 100x better than the 3DS version). I also love how we can notice all the shaders when we pick a metal box. Zelda's biggest improvement is definitely her dress! :awesome:

Joking aside, playing with a C-stick again feels so good.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
I've had this problem several times in the past week for whatever reason (Hopefully this isn't evidence of people learning about this problem). I even faced a Ganon that charged his utilt at the ledge as I was recovering and it hit me the moment I reappeared. I think the timing is about 2 frames of vulnerability. I, then, tested it against another Zelda as Samus using dtilt and hit her a few times. This is concerning to me. Seems that there are a lot more problems with FW now than ever before on top of the weird trajectory on teleporting down on the stage and the ****ty ledge snapping at times.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Fun Fact: One of the in-game tips for Zelda actually states that she'll follow any platforms she runs into when she teleports.
So at least they tell us, right?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
also has anyone had some weird situations where they teleport for a ledge but because of its wall riding qualities sometimes she rebounds like a basketball and gets sent somewhere where she can't recover? It happens mostly when teleporting and moving too close to the lip of the stage.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Yeah, I've had that happen too. My guess is that she rides up the wall, but doesn't snap the ledge (for whatever reason...) and she just...goes past it, I guess. It only happens to me on angled stages, like FD. I notice it most on Omega 75m.
And it makes it look like you don't know how to recover >_>

SBphiloz4

NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Zelda's pretty much a b-ball when she's in super FW mode. Aim bad, and she'll bounce off in the middle of nowhere.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
I've had that happen as well. I've also had it happen such that, if I'm using FW to recover exactly horizontal to the ledge, she'll instead go under the ledge and fall to her doom. I'm scared to recover at any angle other than straight up.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
come on janky faroes....but you know, Zelda can actually go under some stages now with this faroes...guess its a small bonus for being a janky teleport.

Rion

Smash Journeyman
Oh God yeah.

Places with f'ed up janky edges like Hyrule Temple Omega are a pain to Farore's to the ledge if you're really far down.

Sometimes you ride downwards if you approach it at a bad angle.

Partially why I prefer Omega stages with "wall" edges, but man I like my scenery/music too yanno (looking at you, Gaur Plains Omega).

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Definitely have some work to go. Dissatisfied with a 5th/32 tourney placing, splitting time between Zelda & Sheik. Still miss the ability to switch between the two lol.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Nice job! Why the dissatisfaction? 5th/32 doesn't seem so bad (never been to a tourney lol). Especially with Zelda.

And I sometimes miss the transform too. It was nice being able to switch if things weren't working out with one of them. But then again, their new DownBs are quite useful.

We totally deserve 2 DownBs...

Top Bottom