• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Zelda Social: But also the FE Heroes Internet Cafe

Alphatron

Smash Champion
True. I forgot all about being able to tech meteor attacks while your were on the stage. I'm gonna stick with dtilt then. Dair is already punishable if you don't sweet spot it. No reason to let myself get punished even when I do.

Speaking of teching, I've noticed that I can't meteor smash characters with wall jumps on stages that have them at all. Just yesterday, I meteor smashed a mega man player on dr. Wily's castle in For Glory near the ledge. He rocketed straight down at 130%+ as I landed on the stage. But he didn't die because he wall jumped and then used his UpB. The same thing has happened to me against duck hunt dog, villager, and Little Mac too. Are they teching the stage wall (even though they're shooting straight down) and then walk jumping? Or can characters just wall jump out of a meteor smash.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
So I've been doing this to rack up damage:

Dtilt > Jab > Forward Throw (I don't think any of this guaranteed but it's a tight window to escape).

THEN what I absolutely love is as an opponent is descending to ground, I swear you can charge a phantom and catch them every single time! (Well, sometimes... you have to time it... and you have to space it differently if they double jump... but it does good damage if you get the read).

I'm a huge fan of the default phantom!

It just makes me think the shield breaker version would be even better, cos the times when you shoot a phantom and it doesn't hit someone's landing is when they're shielding it instead... so a shield break into teleport or kick would be GODLY! I haven't tried this tho...

Last edited:

Kriscake

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! I just made an account so I can take part in this awesome Zelda thread which I have been lurking around for a while now enjoying everyone's posts. I AM VERY excited to play her in the upcoming WiiU release here in AUS since I have mained her since Melee and loving what they did to her kit on the 3DS release.

I found an amazing video by Strippin from Yogscast that show cased some very calculated Farore kills which are nothing short of inspiring! Enjoy ;)

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965
A
Hey guys! I just made an account so I can take part in this awesome Zelda thread which I have been lurking around for a while now enjoying everyone's posts. I AM VERY excited to play her in the upcoming WiiU release here in AUS since I have mained her since Melee and loving what they did to her kit on the 3DS release.

I found an amazing video by Strippin from Yogscast that show cased some very calculated Farore kills which are nothing short of inspiring! Enjoy ;)

That video made me want to cry. Very risky but, if you're not too predictable and pro at controlling it, then FW is something to fear. Man, I've really been wanting to put my faith in Zelda and play like this is positive reinforcement in her abilities. I like how patient that player was too. It was refreshing.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Wow, nice Zelda gameplay! Those offstage Farore kills were really cool (yet extremely risky lol).

Kriscake

Smash Rookie
Yeah the risk was real but if you calculate the right timing and get them reads it is ever more satisfying. Practice makes perfect but I feel alot of this is situational and really need to catch the foes off guard. Still makes me starry eyed :)

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
So I've been doing this to rack up damage:
Dtilt > Jab > Forward Throw (I don't think any of this guaranteed but it's a tight window to escape).

THEN what I absolutely love is as an opponent is descending to ground, I swear you can charge a phantom and catch them every single time! (Well, sometimes... you have to time it... and you have to space it differently if they double jump... but it does good damage if you get the read).

I'm a huge fan of the default phantom!

It just makes me think the shield breaker version would be even better, cos the times when you shoot a phantom and it doesn't hit someone's landing is when they're shielding it instead... so a shield break into teleport or kick would be GODLY! I haven't tried this tho...
I'm loving the down tilt followups myself in this. If they're at 0 or low percentage, maybe you can try dthrow or upthrow instead of fthrow for even more potential followups/damage racking?

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who's been enjoying Phantom lol... thought I was going crazy. Phantom appears to have 3 different attacks depending on how long you charge it. This can throw your opponent off if they don't know how long to keep their shield up.

First attack: Basic slash. Just using down b will cause Phantom to go a short distance in front of you and do a basic slash that doesn't seem to have much knockback or kill potential. I suppose this isn't a bad option if you suspect opponents will rush toward you. This seems like a 'get off' move. You can also take advantage of the opponent momentarily 'paused' in place as they're right up against Phantom.

Second attack: There's like a sphere that flashes as Zelda is charging, and if you unleash this attack before the sphere flashes again, Phantom will move further in front of you and swing his sword twice. This has considerably more knockback and kill power than the first attack.

Third attack: Fully charged, Phantom will go about a mid range distance in front of you, and swing twice, but this time, he does an upswing, which can catch opponents coming in from the air. Can kill surprisingly early if opponent is near the edge.

Let me know if I'm missing something. I think we already have this info in better detail on our other thread detailing her moves and damage. I haven't tried her custom Phantoms yet, let alone her custom anything. I've been enjoying the defaults so far, surprisingly.

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger

And it was all BLACK Zelda! *faints*

I want this for WIIU, HHHHNNNNGGH.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I'm loving the down tilt followups myself in this. If they're at 0 or low percentage, maybe you can try dthrow or upthrow instead of fthrow for even more potential followups/damage racking?

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who's been enjoying Phantom lol... thought I was going crazy. Phantom appears to have 3 different attacks depending on how long you charge it. This can throw your opponent off if they don't know how long to keep their shield up.

First attack: Basic slash. Just using down b will cause Phantom to go a short distance in front of you and do a basic slash that doesn't seem to have much knockback or kill potential. I suppose this isn't a bad option if you suspect opponents will rush toward you. This seems like a 'get off' move. You can also take advantage of the opponent momentarily 'paused' in place as they're right up against Phantom.

Second attack: There's like a sphere that flashes as Zelda is charging, and if you unleash this attack before the sphere flashes again, Phantom will move further in front of you and swing his sword twice. This has considerably more knockback and kill power than the first attack.

Third attack: Fully charged, Phantom will go about a mid range distance in front of you, and swing twice, but this time, he does an upswing, which can catch opponents coming in from the air. Can kill surprisingly early if opponent is near the edge.

Let me know if I'm missing something. I think we already have this info in better detail on our other thread detailing her moves and damage. I haven't tried her custom Phantoms yet, let alone her custom anything. I've been enjoying the defaults so far, surprisingly.
Yes! Another default lover! I like them because they offer the most versatility than her customs, which all seem very situational. I don't want to give up my Din's and Phantom's control.

Oh, and I was thinking that if we somehow broke a shield at low percent, we could use a fully charged Phantom to punish instead of a smash or kick. It does 26% if I remember correctly. Kick is 20%, and her Fsmash is too unreliable. Dsmash doesn't do a lot of damage even when charged. Usmash probably won't hit. I guess you could try a combo or something with a grab, but the Phantom is just easier.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Yes! Another default lover! I like them because they offer the most versatility than her customs, which all seem very situational. I don't want to give up my Din's and Phantom's control.

Oh, and I was thinking that if we somehow broke a shield at low percent, we could use a fully charged Phantom to punish instead of a smash or kick. It does 26% if I remember correctly. Kick is 20%, and her Fsmash is too unreliable. Dsmash doesn't do a lot of damage even when charged. Usmash probably won't hit. I guess you could try a combo or something with a grab, but the Phantom is just easier.
I haven't had enough experience with her customs yet to tell what applications they may have, but in due time, I'll provide some feedback on what I think of them. From what I hear, Zelda's customs aren't anything impressive.

Phantom customs might be a possibility, but the Farore's Wind and DIn's Fire ones, from what I've heard, don't seem like it's worth the trade-off in power. Why have another kind of Farore's Wind when the one we have can kill things? Unless, either one of the other two have some very useful applications, I'm guessing it won't be worth bothering with. That certainly won't stop me from testing them eventually though.

Din's Fire seems meh, but at least the sweet spot can kill. And if you're doing the Brawl thing where you're punishing cooldown of air dodges with Din's Fire, then this might have some use, since air dodges in this game don't feel very safe (imo). Good luck hitting with it though.

Last edited:

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
The idiocy of Farore's Windfall annoys me. A FW that goes only up but meteors on reappearance? So only practical usage is what, offstage for gimps but just too far to kill yourself along with your opponent? Has anyone tried it?

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
It has like no end lag, so you can start moving immediately after the reappear. Still not enough to make it practical at all.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
the Farore's Wind and DIn's Fire ones, from what I've heard, don't seem like it's worth the trade-off in power.
Din's Flare can kill very well. And it does the same damage but more reliably. Power is not the tradeoff; the tradeoff is size (but default Dins' is deceptively small anyway) and no vertical control. The latter is what keeps it from just being superior to the other two Din's at everything.

I think all the Phantom have fair uses. I can't say any are the right choice (because they're all wrong lol) but I like the shieldbreaker most.

Last edited:

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Short distance
Can't be stored
Has a long charge
So much end lag
Counts as a projectile

Thanks Obama.

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Pretty much sums up Zelda, honestly.

Rion

Smash Journeyman
(Don't forget has several blindspots when fully charged as well! Sigh.)

Probably the best use I've gotten out of Phantom nowadays is getting that surprise knick on my opponent when they're trying to recover because they misjudge the range of the fully charged slash. Usually this means they get KO'd, which is nice!

It still has it's problems but, hell if the charge was store-able it'd probably be actually great. Like, would probably improve Zelda significantly to have something like that. Alas...

I'm actually finding Dair OoS kind of effective! But only if you autocancel it (naturally). Even if the opponent techs, they won't have enough time to attack you with anything substantial because you'll be able to have your shield up by then. Hell, even if you don't sweetspot it, it's still some 5~% damage rather than nothing! Nair OoS isn't gonna be hitting many folks except the taller, bigger guys as well.

Also Dair OoS > Uair is pretty funny.

Shield>Jump>Immiediate Nayru's isn't so bad either. It certainly has better coverage, but riskier due to the horrendous after lag.

Man, I also really gotta use Uthrow more. I keep forgetting it's actually pretty good at low %.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Storable Phantom would make Zelda so much better just like that.

A death threat that you can unleash at any time cannot be underestimated. Samus and Robin are so much less scary without their charges, it'd be nice if Zelda had that kind of presence.

Last edited:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
It's weird but sometimes when you up throw at 0% and try to follow up with nair, you'll go right through them, but not hit them. Has anyone else noticed this? Not just with that, but with some moves in general? Like sometimes you'll be almost inside the opponent, and you'll miss (e.g. dash attacks, f-smashes, etc).

Alphatron

Smash Champion
I just watched that Zelda montage. I have respect for that guy. Anybody who's getting kills by using FW off stage deserves the respect. No opponent is going to airdodge, thinking that you would be willing to SD. If I were in any of those matches, I would have fallen for it almost every time.

I'm guessing nair is missing because Zelda is jumping above her opponents. It hasn't happened to me yet but nair has no vertical range so I assume that's what's going on. As for fsmash missing, that happens when the opponent is pretty much inside of you, which is understandable.

I've never had dash attack oddly whiff unless my opponent was pikachu (who I can't stand fighting). You can even punish a blocked dash attack with a grab because the dash attack shortens his height. You can't punish it with a non angled ftilt or jab either. Characters who can just crouch past some of our options is why I've been in love with dtilt.

CommanderPepper

Smash Cadet
NNID
CommanderPepper
3DS FC
5455-9558-8826
I really wish this game had the ability to record and replay the CPU/dummy's action in training mode. I want to test stuff with Phantom being a projectile.

Milky.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MyKeyZ
3DS FC
2707-1638-6160
So I heard the Smash 4 Zelda boards is a hot mess. :O

Last edited:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
So I heard AiB/NDJ is still down...

Hai Milky :p

I really wish this game had the ability to record and replay the CPU/dummy's action in training mode. I want to test stuff with Phantom being a projectile.
Doesn't the Amiibo have some feature that allows you to 'train' the CPU to do certain things? In any case, you could try doing a regular match and set the CPU to level 1 while you test stuff out. Or if you have a device that allows you to record stuff, you can record it in training mode

Last edited:

Milky.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MyKeyZ
3DS FC
2707-1638-6160
Yeah, pretty much why I decided to try and come be part of another Smash community. I'm still learning the in and outs on this site. I really love the forums. I can only dream for NDJ to have these kinda active forums. xD

Side note: Zelda's nair looks funny on the Wii U version, she's holding her arms so low, lol

Last edited:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Yeah, pretty much why I decided to try and come be part of another Smash community. I'm still learning the in and outs on this site. I really love the forums. I can only dream for NDJ to have these kinda active forums. xD

Side note: Zelda's nair looks funny on the Wii U version, she's holding her arms so low, lol
Who do you think is behind the attacks anyway? Someone must be very bored to try to DDOS the site on Smash's launch date <.<

Is she? I didn't notice lol, but I do notice she sometimes seems to fast fall/semi-spike with it... kind of hard to explain. And like, when you do teleport cancels, nair seems to be a common input as a follow-up, even when you're trying to do another aerial. Least for me.

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Nairo demonstrates how to use the Phantom. Have the opponent say "WTF was that?" when you use it, and they just die of embarrassment.

Oh, and stay for the clip after for some 7.8 too much water action.

http://youtu.be/3PyNr81CiVE?t=1m34s

Milky.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MyKeyZ
3DS FC
2707-1638-6160
Who do you think is behind the attacks anyway? Someone must be very bored to try to DDOS the site on Smash's launch date <.<

Is she? I didn't notice lol, but I do notice she sometimes seems to fast fall/semi-spike with it... kind of hard to explain. And like, when you do teleport cancels, nair seems to be a common input, even when you're trying to do another aerial. Least for me.
It must be one of the banned users, though I doubt it as most of them are pretty dumb, lol.
Someone posted on NDJ's facebook page earlier saying they're taking over the attack. https://www.facebook.com/nintendodojo

What I find even more immature is that one of the staff members decided to take my blog off of the front page just for lols. I don't know who done it, but seriously. My blog was important and there was no reason for them to take it off of the front page, it got me really salty. Like.. We get it, you treat me like a joke, but don't pull your stupid jokes on important matters. |:

Her nair cancel has a meteor spike since it's a multi hit aerial. I showed you a clip of her spiking with it, but I'll post it here too, I guess https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ose_HP8LaaE

How do I permanently get rid of my eye hurting font? I have to keep editing my posts lol

Last edited:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Nairo demonstrates how to use the Phantom. Have the opponent say "WTF was that?" when you use it, and they just die of embarrassment.
Oh, and stay for the clip after for some 7.8 too much water action.
http://youtu.be/3PyNr81CiVE?t=1m34s
This is why Phantom > Din's Fire in that situation. You would never be able to Din's off-stage/gimp cause of the free fall :/
Thanks for sharing that, Phantom to spike lolz

It must be one of the banned users, though I doubt it as most of them are pretty dumb, lol.
Someone posted on NDJ's facebook page earlier saying they're taking over the attack. https://www.facebook.com/nintendodojo

What I find even more immature is that one of the staff members decided to take my blog off of the front page just for lols. I don't know who done it, but seriously. My blog was important and there was no reason for them to take it off of the front page, it got me really salty. Like.. We get it, you treat me like a joke, but don't pull your stupid jokes on important matters. |:

Her nair cancel has a meteor spike since it's a multi hit aerial. I showed you a clip of her spiking with it, but I'll post it here too, I guess https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ose_HP8LaaE

How do I permanently get rid of my eye hurting font? I have to keep editing my posts lol
Whaaa, who removed it? That's just silly... you were the only one who actually bothered to explain to the community what was going on. If that was their idea of a joke to remove it, then it's a bad one.

And yep, I've seen that vid, heh. Fun stuff o:

Oh to change your font, go to the upper right corner of the page where your name is at. Mouse over it, and click 'Personal Details'. On that page, look at the left column and click 'Preferences'. There, there'll be an option to change your font color.

You can just put the name of the color you want, or use a hex code instead. If you use a hex code, google search for 'hex code colors' then just copy/paste the hex code for the color you want. Then save changes.

Last edited:

Milky.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MyKeyZ
3DS FC
2707-1638-6160
This is why Phantom > Din's Fire in that situation. You would never be able to Din's off-stage/gimp cause of the free fall :/
Thanks for sharing that, Phantom to spike lolz

Whaaa, who removed it? That's just silly... you were the only one who actually bothered to explain to the community what was going on. If that was their idea of a joke to remove it, then it's a bad one.

And yep, I've seen that vid, heh. Fun stuff o:

Oh to change your font, go to the upper right corner of the page where your name is at. Mouse over it, and click 'Personal Details'. On that page, look at the left column and click 'Preferences'. There, there'll be an option to change your font color.

You can just put the name of the color you want, or use a hex code instead. If you use a hex code, google search for 'hex code colors' then just copy/paste the hex code for the color you want. Then save changes.
Alright, thanks! *test*

So what's the current discussion about Zelderp thus far?

Top Bottom