• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Appreciation Thread

blink777

Smash Journeyman
Oh come now, people. You've gotta admit that Zelda's unbraided hair from Melee with a current gen graphics upgrade would look pretty great. I bet the Brawl animators were thrilled that TP gave them a much easier hairstyle to animate... They got lucky on all the women's hair though: Peach's is meant to look unnatural, and Zamus is in a tight single ponytail.

EDIT: On the subject of her boots. In which picture or video are you guys seeing that she's in boots? As far as I can see, she's just in brown shoes. The fourth image in her Dojo profile (DTilt) actually looks like she's in loafer-like shoes...

EDIT2: Wow... we really need an update to get our sanity back.

Stiputation

Smash Journeyman
Did anyone notice all the pretty sparkles they have added to her attacks?
I take it everyone has seen the SSE video in which she was fighting in?

Almost every attack she does comes with shimmery glory. I love it.
By the way, you don't see the boots very much, even when she does her Fair.
Not to mention her hair, it isn't all blowy like her Melee sock was.

Although its probably just the bad video quality.

Luthien

Smash Ace
EDIT: On the subject of her boots. In which picture or video are you guys seeing that she's in boots? As far as I can see, she's just in brown shoes. The fourth image in her Dojo profile (DTilt) actually looks like she's in loafer-like shoes...
Nah. The bottom of the shoe is too thick not to be a boot. And they are wonderful boots, too. *Starts singing 'Wonderful' from Wicked as loud as I can*

Iris

Smash Ace
I don't know, I haven't seen the back of the boots yet, so they could be heeled boots! As long as they aren't like, low ankle boots, they could turn out not-ugly. Otherwise Zelda won't be looking like a tomboy, she'll look like a lesbian. :(

Luthien

Smash Ace
I don't know, I haven't seen the back of the boots yet, so they could be heeled boots! As long as they aren't like, low ankle boots, they could turn out not-ugly. Otherwise Zelda won't be looking like a tomboy, she'll look like a #######. :(
So, wait. I got confused by that sentence. Low ankle boots = ugly or High ankle boots = ugly. Sorry, I have no sense of fashion so I can't deduce it for myself.

Iris

Smash Ace
Low ankle boots are ugly. Boots that go past your calves are pretty. :D

AllanT

Smash Apprentice
zelda's like the coolest character ever. even though i never use her in smash, she's like the best character nintendo (or miyamoto i guess) ever made!!

Luthien

Smash Ace
Low ankle boots are ugly. Boots that go past your calves are pretty. :D
Righto, then. Thanks for the info.

@ AllanT: Yep, you're right. Well, actually, there are lots of 'tied for first' postitions in my twisted little brain, but Zelda's in there somewhere. You should main her. Lots of fun. ;)

Stiputation

Smash Journeyman
HIGH HEELED BOOTS!?
That would be the best scenario ever!

And yeah, she is pretty fun to main.
What princess do you know can posses magic and still whip a level 9 Captain Falcon's butt at the same time? ;)

Lets just hope for some VERY strong buffs and a whole character this time and we should be set.

blink777

Smash Journeyman
It was this image that makes me think she's wearing either crazy low boots, or crazy thick-bottomed shoes:

That lighter line looks to be the divider between her footwear and her sock. Kinda like a ballet slipper. But then, that could just be another layer of the boot coming in, because the "sock" part looks very dark.

Luthien

Smash Ace
It was this image that makes me think she's wearing either crazy low boots, or crazy thick-bottomed shoes:

That lighter line looks to be the divider between her footwear and her sock. Kinda like a ballet slipper. But then, that could just be another layer of the boot coming in, because the "sock" part looks very dark.
Meh. Could be. I dunno, that might just be shading and the seperation of the foot of the boot and the calf of the boot combined. Gonna have to wait till Brawl comes out to find out. :)

blink777

Smash Journeyman
I mean the smaller, not-blue stripe to the left of the big whitish-blue one. It's far too curved and fitting to her foot to be part of the hit FX.

Stiputation

Smash Journeyman
I want a Zelda update.
I wish Zelda hadn't been revealed if he didn't plan on giving her an update any time soon.

If she hadn't been revealed, I wouldn't have bothered checking back on the DOJO.
A Zelda update is needed, or else I'm going to decompose.

blink777

Smash Journeyman
Well now that we've exhausted our footwear discussion, shall we move onto her dress?

I've gotta say, I'm rather proud of myself in this department. I had actually predicted (basically by accident) the open back that it has before I had even played TP, and there were no screenshots of her back online. In the past, I had done modding for The Battle for Middle-Earth, and out of boredom I created a Zelda model based off the concept art (the same picture as the TP Zelda avatar). Admittedly, I didn't get the cut right, but I still got the concept :p.

Here are some renders:
http://elven.the3rdage.net/zelda1.jpg
http://elven.the3rdage.net/zelda2.jpg
http://elven.the3rdage.net/zelda3.jpg

I got a few things wrong - her eyes (I couldn't get her anime'ish eyes to work on my model), the bottom of the purple part of her dress, her boots, and the length of the gloves - and its really low poly. The low quality is because Battle for Middle-Earth is an RTS where hundreds of these characters would be on screen at once, so you couldn't make anything too detailed.

Anyway, there's my Zelda appreciating for the day.

Cless

Smash Champion
No, I mean the dress and everything looks good, but the character model makes her look like a man. It's not your fault.

blink777

Smash Journeyman
Uhh... Yeah it is. I made it.

EDIT: Gah, I shouldn't get upset. I know it's not very good. Sorry for snapping at you.

Luthien

Smash Ace
Wow, those are really quite good. Far better than I could do anyway (speaking as a BFME player). All you needed to do was make her upper torso thinner, somehow put in superboobs, and make the face less square. You could also somehow make the dress fitted. All things I could never do.

I'm sure Cless didn't mean offense (well, not total anyway) when s/he (taking no chances with gender anymore; offended one too many people...) said that. Like s/he said, the dress is incredible.

Cless

Smash Champion
No, it's fine. I'm sure you put a lot of work into it, so it's reasonable that you'd be a little peeved. I don't really know what tools you were working with. That was just my first reaction when I saw the model.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964

EDIT: Gah, I shouldn't get upset. I know it's not very good. Sorry for snapping at you.
whaaaat?
It's very good! O:

The dress is amazingly detailed. I love it!

The face just needs to be a little thinner, other than that it's a very good model.

I used to try to make 3D models using Cinema 4D. Disaster D:

Well done. =D

Luthien

Smash Ace
Thanks a bunch, and once again: sorry for flipping out, Cless.
Flipping out? That was a very controlled flip...

Anyway, that's a VERY impressive Zelda (the bottom of the dress... I thought DRAWING it was annoying). I've zoomed in on some of the acutal models, and that looks better than their render of Legolas does in my opinion. Instantly recognizable as Zelda mid-game, I'll bet.

Could you figure out a way to get the bottom of her hair into that weird braid thing? That's the only huge mistake I noticed.

-spAzn-

Smash Journeyman
Blink777 those are actually quite good the dress looks very similar to the real thing good detail. Nice job I wish I knew how to use those type of programs.

blink777

Smash Journeyman
Could you figure out a way to get the bottom of her hair into that weird braid thing? That's the only huge mistake I noticed.
lmao! I completely forgot that I had gotten that wrong too :p. But anyway, I won't be changing it because A) I don't do this stuff anymore and B) I like her free flowing hair from OoT better than the low braid ;)

Once again, thanks everyone. I'm glad I was able to divert attention away from our sorry Zelda-Brawl state for at least a little while.

Stiputation

Smash Journeyman
That reminds me, does anyone like the low hair braid?
Personally, I think its pretty spiffy!

Besides, if the makers were going to be lazy and make the hair like they did in Melee, all clumped together and such I'd certainly pass.

blink777

Smash Journeyman
I'm not really a fan, but I know from personal experience how difficult it is to make ungathered hair without it looking "all clumped together and such". I'm sure I'll get used to the low braid soon enough though, and come to love it.

-spAzn-

Smash Journeyman
I actually like the low hair braid sure it's different but I think it looks pretty cool her whole hairstyle is I think.

Luthien

Smash Ace
Meh. I like the braid itself, but I hate how pointy the end is. Maybe that's her final smash: Zelda grabs the end of her braid and impales her opponents vital organs with it.

who8therice

Smash Cadet
^^ lol

But uh, since this is the zelda appreciation thread, I'd like to say how much I appreciate how not crappy Zelda now looks. I've decided to main her (kind of) but I never really payed attention to her in Melee because of Sheik.

But I definately like the braided look.

And those [whatevertheyares] from blink777 had nice detail on the dress and looked a lot like zelda, but the face was waay too manly. Good job though, i'm not sure how hard that is to do.

EDIT: Yay i'm not a Smash n00b anymore!

Drake3

Smash Ace
I don't know how to say this, but blink, you put Zelda's dress on a man. The dress is very nice, but that's definitely a man under there. Broad quarterback shoulders, the face, the man-stance. That's a man. I'm sorry.

The braid looks fine in the video, but in every still-shot I see I want to cut it off. It just looks so stupid in every picture. And in that "Game was delayed sorry lolz" video when she does her taunt, you can see her steel toes when her dress levitates.

Luthien

Smash Ace
I don't know how to say this, but blink, you put Zelda's dress on a man. The dress is very nice, but that's definitely a man under there. Broad quarterback shoulders, the face, the man-stance. That's a man. I'm sorry.

The braid looks fine in the video, but in every still-shot I see I want to cut it off. It just looks so stupid in every picture. And in that "Game was delayed sorry lolz" video when she does her taunt, you can see her steel toes when her dress levitates.
They don't look steel to me. They look like they do in her character page image: brown. Kind of like rubber, actually. In the video, it guess it does look like they could be steel toed...

...*sigh* So we're back on the boots again, huh?

Top Bottom