• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Appreciation Thread

Stiputation

Smash Journeyman
I don't know.
I've been a bit tempted with Micaiah.
If she is in Brawl I'll certainly be thinking about maining either her or Zelda.

This whole Sheik inclusion thing is also making me want Micaiah in even more. :/

Luthien

Smash Ace
I don't know.
I've been a bit tempted with Micaiah.
If she is in Brawl I'll certainly be thinking about maining either her or Zelda.

This whole Sheik inclusion thing is also making me want Micaiah in even more. :/
Oro?

Where did that come from (confused)?

At any rate, if you don't main Zelda, our marriage is off. Don't give up on Sheik yet! There is hope (what could possibly go wrong...;))! Who on earth (maybe not, knowing virtual reality) is Micaiah anyway?

Stiputation

Smash Journeyman
Oro?

Where did that come from (confused)?

At any rate, if you don't main Zelda, our marriage is off. Don't give up on Sheik yet! There is hope (what could possibly go wrong...;))! Who on earth (maybe not, knowing virtual reality) is Micaiah anyway?
Oh, I'm sorry dear. How could I give up on Zelda already! Besides when Sheik is separate from Zelda, we must talk about our Zeldtastical strategies.

And Micaiah is someone from Fire Emblem, she is also a magic user, which is why I don't think she will be in Brawl. Zelda.For.The.Win.

Drake3

Smash Ace
If Micaiah makes it into Brawl I'm totally ditching Zelda. Juuust kidding. Cause I'm sure they'll only give her different attacks using light. Whereas Zelda actually has an arsenal of different magical properties (She should be given an ice spell by the way).

Iris

Smash Ace
Zelda seems more appropriate for light, but whatever. Another magic caster would probably take the originality out of Zelda, but at least it'd be a fun alternative to a Zelda/Sheik combination.

Drake3

Smash Ace
She did, but they apparently thought that random pseudo-ocarina spells were more appropriate for the Princess of Light.

Luthien

Smash Ace
Zelda seems more appropriate for light, but whatever. Another magic caster would probably take the originality out of Zelda, but at least it'd be a fun alternative to a Zelda/Sheik combination.
I don't know. I think a magic caster could actually make Zelda seem more unique. Seeing as how spellcasters in general are long ranged, and Zelda's a close range fighter, it makes her seem like an anomaly. A smasher who had pretty much stricly long range (or at least disjointed hitbox) attacks would put Zelda in a different light (not to mention revolutionize Brawl).

Zelda_Sheik

Smash Apprentice
What will happen if Sakurai only improved Zelda with her attacks and speed because Sheik is out? Nobody wanted me to fight with Zelda because I was too strong for them so I played with Sheik. When I fight against someone very fast like Falco, Fox or Cap. Falcon, I used Sheik. And when I fight against someone powerful but not too fast I played with Zelda. And about her speed, how the hell a pinky-spoiled-and-idiot-princess named Peach running with hills could be faster than Zelda. They would have to make both strong and fast enough so that by using only one character we could actually win a match. I have done that before, but it was very hard.

Drake3

Smash Ace
And about her speed, how the hell a pinky-spoiled-and-idiot-princess named Peach running with hills could be faster than Zelda.
If you had a head filled with helium, you'd probably be pretty speedy yourself. But I do agree. Make Zelda awkward by all means if you really want (because apparently all magic users are, even though Zelda is capable of physically fighting), but don't make her slow.

Luthien

Smash Ace
What will happen if Sakurai only improved Zelda with her attacks and speed because Sheik is out? Nobody wanted me to fight with Zelda because I was too strong for them so I played with Sheik. When I fight against someone very fast like Falco, Fox or Cap. Falcon, I used Sheik. And when I fight against someone powerful but not too fast I played with Zelda. And about her speed, how the hell a pinky-spoiled-and-idiot-princess named Peach running with hills could be faster than Zelda. They would have to make both strong and fast enough so that by using only one character we could actually win a match. I have done that before, but it was very hard.
You notice that you only have a chance against Falco, Fox, etc as Sheik right? Whereas you could also easily take Bowser/Ganodorf/etc... with Sheik too.

That's the thing. They tried to make each character a whole character, only not. The developers contradicted themselves: they tried to make Zelda and Sheik strong enough to win a match without HAVING to switch, but weak enough to NEED to switch to obtain victory.

These things cancelled out and lead to disaster; it's like they were driving down a road with a pole in the middle. Going to the left would make each individual character strong enough to win on their own. Swerving to the right would make the pair rely on each other to win. They couldn't decide, and crashed into the pole.

P.S. Be nice to Peach! She may be an idiot, but she's a kick-*** idiot! ;)

Zelda_Sheik

Smash Apprentice
When I was tired of Zelda's slowness, I used to change to Peach and you know what? I was better with Peach
rather than with Zelda just because of her speed. Unbelievable.

Earthbenderjump5

Smash Journeyman
yeah but i why would she be a kick *** idot?
i don't get it.
thats more like those disney channel princesses.
nvm.
there not helium headed as you said.
and can fight.
but it re....ahhh....it reminds me of those preppy people.
thats it.

Zelda_Sheik

Smash Apprentice
People who are good with Zelda are good with almost any1. About what Earthbender said, she kicks butt only when someone good controlls her. CPU peach is not good.
To Peach users/mainers:
Don't complain about Peach speed. If you complain about hers, you will die when you see Zelda's speed.

-spAzn-

Smash Journeyman
Going back to Micaiah I heard a bit about her, being a magic user but if she was to be included would she be similiar to Zelda's playstyle or does she use magic differently if that makes sense. I don't really know anyhing about her but just wondering to those who know.

Never understood why Zelda was extremely slow well I guess it had to do with Sheik supposely making up for it and then some. Here's a question if Zelda was to be fast as Sheik (assuming Sheik is gone) maybe a tiny bit slower yet had the same amount of power to her moves as she does in Melee would she still be considered "low tier" or weak compared to others?

I'm not the best Zelda user i'm alright with her. Yet my Peach skills are really bad and don't get me started trying to use Fox some reason it's hard for me to adjust from Zelda's (and Links since he's quite slow also) speed to Fox's I always end up running then kicking off a cliff :ohwell:. Anyone else experience this well the whole speed adjustment scenerio?

Luthien

Smash Ace
Going back to Micaiah I heard a bit about her, being a magic user but if she was to be included would she be similiar to Zelda's playstyle or does she use magic differently if that makes sense. I don't really know anyhing about her but just wondering to those who know.

Never understood why Zelda was extremely slow well I guess it had to do with Sheik supposely making up for it and then some. Here's a question if Zelda was to be fast as Sheik (assuming Sheik is gone) maybe a tiny bit slower yet had the same amount of power to her moves as she does in Melee would she still be considered "low tier" or weak compared to others?

I'm not the best Zelda user i'm alright with her. Yet my Peach skills are really bad and don't get me started trying to use Fox some reason it's hard for me to adjust from Zelda's (and Links since he's quite slow also) speed to Fox's I always end up running then kicking off a cliff :ohwell:. Anyone else experience this well the whole speed adjustment scenerio?
Yeah, I'm pretty much the same as you. My Peach is below-average and my Fox would make any Fox main slash his wrists...

However, playing Zelda teaches you many very important lessons, the most obvious being spacing. If you can space with Zelda, you can space with anyone with a bit of practice. It's kind of like learning the piano before bass quitar.

As for the tier position, probably not. RyokoYaksa noted that Zelda's low tier placing is because she doesn't have speed to exploit. Therefore, she can be destroyed by campers, and a whole bunch of other issues too. A speed boost would really help Zelda out.

Iris

Smash Ace
Yeah, I never understood Zelda's speed either. Okay, she's strong and a lot of her moves have good knockback, so there's reason to slow her a bit, but slower than Bowser? Ganondorf? Mewtwo? It's absurd, a small human-like being should be far more nimble than a big, bulky, weighed down character.

I agree with Luthien though. They attempted making Zelda and Sheik interdependent, but also able to suffice on their own if they must. The problem was they gave one of those attributes to Zelda and the other to Sheik, not both to each. That's why Zelda's slow and unable to easily land many high-knockback attacks, and it's why Sheik is fast and her knockback isn't terrible. If Sheik's out then they will have most definitely boosted almost every aspect of Zelda.

Anyways, I guess a spellcaster could be far different than Zelda. The whole "hands and feet glow" thing is what makes her a physical fighter who just incorporates magic, whereas another spellcaster could be ranged. However, a ranged spellcaster should be lighter than Zelda and weaker, since the range would provide a safe area. Zelda shouldn't be a featherweight when she has less range than characters like Bowser.

Stiputation

Smash Journeyman
You just let Micaiah be in Brawl.
Shiiiiiiiyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyttttt.

If shes in, and Zelda is retaining that used up inclusion of Sheik, I'll be thinking about switching mains so fast it won't even be funny.

Luthien

Smash Ace
Yeah, I never understood Zelda's speed either. Okay, she's strong and a lot of her moves have good knockback, so there's reason to slow her a bit, but slower than Bowser? Ganondorf? Mewtwo? It's absurd, a small human-like being should be far more nimble than a big, bulky, weighed down character.

I agree with Luthien though. They attempted making Zelda and Sheik interdependent, but also able to suffice on their own if they must. The problem was they gave one of those attributes to Zelda and the other to Sheik, not both to each. That's why Zelda's slow and unable to easily land many high-knockback attacks, and it's why Sheik is fast and her knockback isn't terrible. If Sheik's out then they will have most definitely boosted almost every aspect of Zelda.

Anyways, I guess a spellcaster could be far different than Zelda. The whole "hands and feet glow" thing is what makes her a physical fighter who just incorporates magic, whereas another spellcaster could be ranged. However, a ranged spellcaster should be lighter than Zelda and weaker, since the range would provide a safe area. Zelda shouldn't be a featherweight when she has less range than characters like Bowser.
Amen! Preach it sister! I blame the dress for her speed. Of course, I wouldn't feel like running full speed in skin-tight rubber, either...

Exactly my point for your second paragraph.

Spellcasters would probably be vulnerable after you passed a distance from them (10-3 ft away from magician), but it would be difficult to pass that point if you aren't fast/careful. So yeah, I get a feeling Zelda's heavier now (the boots look like they weigh a lot more than her old pink high-heels).

Luthien

Smash Ace
I'd have said it was the heels...
Must be both... that explains why she's FREAKISHLY slow, and not just normal slow. She's wearing a dress (makes her pretty slow) AND she's wearing high-heels (coupled with dress, makes her really slow).

Well, she's wearing boots in Brawl, so the speed buff makes sense. But her dress looks fitted/heavier, so that might slow her down a tad... what am I saying? "It's a bleeding DRESS, Zelda! Just rip the side and run like the wind already!" (I tend to scream this when I can't quite make it too my enemy to finish a combo in time...)

Earthbenderjump5

Smash Journeyman
as though i've been reading i've found out on wiki that zelda is actually a man and sheik was showning it.
he just has to have long hair because gandorff wouldn't want to **** "him" when he caught him would he. zelda just wants link to save him. because he thinks he's a girl but when they finish. behind the scenes zelda ***** link. very sick. who would've thought.

blink777

Smash Journeyman
(I tend to scream this when I can't quite make it too my enemy to finish a combo in time...)
I'm certainly not a competive player, but I usually use a ground-to-ground FW to catch up to a flying opponent, rather than running. I'm assuming that strategy wouldn't work with decent human players?

Sorry for veering off topic.

EDIT: Somebody wanna smack Earthbenderjump5 around a bit with a large taco? ;)

Luthien

Smash Ace
I'm certainly not a competive player, but I usually use a ground-to-ground FW to catch up to a flying opponent, rather than running. I'm assuming that strategy wouldn't work with decent human players?

Sorry for veering off topic.

EDIT: Somebody wanna smack Earthbenderjump5 around a bit with a large taco? ;)
I'm not that great either -- I'm probably average. And my brain is dead; what's FW (if it's something blatantly obvious, I'll go hide in a corner) but yes, sometimes I finish a combo with a dash attack which either sends them flying far away from me or behind me. In the first case, I can't make a fair work if I jump right away, so I have to dash a bit before I jump. And her run is slow, so sometimes I don't make it in time.

Stiputation

Smash Journeyman
Oh please, what good is running when you have fashion! *o*
-gawks at Zelda's beautifully fitted dress-

Of course I'm kidding though xD
Although I do believe Zelda's running speed AND jumping power has been indeed changed in Brawl.
Here! I'll provide a video =):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EPCxdEihxM

At about 2:36 she starts running and does her dash attack.
The running animation looks changed also.

Luthien

Smash Ace
Oh please, what good is running when you have fashion! *o*
-gawks at Zelda's beautifully fitted dress-

Of course I'm kidding though xD
Although I do believe Zelda's running speed AND jumping power has been indeed changed in Brawl.
Here! I'll provide a video =):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EPCxdEihxM

At about 2:36 she starts running and does her dash attack.
The running animation looks changed also.
Lol @ fashion comment. Ah, Stiputation: never change.

And yes, I know Zelda's been buffed. If you think I haven't watched that video 74.3302 times already...

blink777

Smash Journeyman
And my brain is dead; what's FW (if it's something blatantly obvious, I'll go hide in a corner)
Farore's Wind? :p

EDIT: Speaking of animations... Anyone notice at E for All if Peach's walking animations were changed (I know her running cycle has, but I'm looking at walking)? If so, there's hope that Zelda's has too. The robot walk was irritatingly un-smexy, along with her hair flying back nearly horizontally even though she was hardly freaking moving.

Luthien

Smash Ace
Farore's Wind? :p

EDIT: Speaking of animations... Anyone notice at E for All if Peach's walking animations were changed (I know her running cycle has, but I'm looking at walking)? If so, there's hope that Zelda's has too. The robot walk was irritatingly un-smexy, along with her hair flying back nearly horizontally even though she was hardly freaking moving.
Farore's Wind?! *Beats head agains computer desk. Awakens parents. Flees for life. Doubles back, returns to computer*. Wow, that was embarrasing.

And yes, I hated Zelda's hair animation in Melee. In Adventure mode (with the music off all the way, sound effects up all the way) I would walk through the Underground Maze and listen to the "Clomp...clomp...clomp" of her high heels echo throughout the sewer. And then I would notice that there was no wind underground, and her hair had no reason to be blowing so...

Pappioll

Smash Apprentice
Must be both... that explains why she's FREAKISHLY slow, and not just normal slow. She's wearing a dress (makes her pretty slow) AND she's wearing high-heels (coupled with dress, makes her really slow).

Well, she's wearing boots in Brawl, so the speed buff makes sense. But her dress looks fitted/heavier, so that might slow her down a tad... what am I saying? "It's a bleeding DRESS, Zelda! Just rip the side and run like the wind already!" (I tend to scream this when I can't quite make it too my enemy to finish a combo in time...)
Oh, please don't talk about her boots.:urg: Makes me puke.
If Peach can run fast in Brawl with heels then why shouldn't Zelda be able to? It's so unfair that Zelda has to wear ugly, big, workerboots to run fast(er). She's still slow :p

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
I love the boots. Bah. Who needs fashion when you can boot the opponent in the face? =P
Although, a heel stuck in the opponents eye is always a better choice.

Stiputation

Smash Journeyman
Are you guys freaking serious!?
I love her boots!

Its a much better improvement from those "oh-so-fairy-tale" high heels she wore in Melee. Which, I blame for her slow speed as well.

And please...don't make me think about her Melee hair.
Seriously...that was unacceptable.

Arean

Smash Ace
hehe this is really entertaining... and yeah... heels is good to poke someone.. but boots are shmexy hehe

blink777

Smash Journeyman
And please...don't make me think about her Melee hair.
Seriously...that was unacceptable.
Actually, bar the crappy wind and movement animations they created for it, I very much preferred Zelda's Melee hairstyle over the odd gathered braid she has in Brawl. That being said, I do like the two braid-things that fall over her ears and onto her front better than Melee's two little curly things in front of her ear.

Drake3

Smash Ace
I don't understand why they couldn't have found a nice medium. They went from plastic Malibu barbie heels to Snake's extra pair of combat boots. Why not something in the middle?

Zelda's hair in Melee made me laugh alot, especially her idle animation where she flips it and the entire thing looks like jello. It could've been worse though. She could've had Peach's hair.

Luthien

Smash Ace
I don't understand why they couldn't have found a nice medium. They went from plastic Malibu barbie heels to Snake's extra pair of combat boots. Why not something in the middle?

Zelda's hair in Melee made me laugh alot, especially her idle animation where she flips it and the entire thing looks like jello. It could've been worse though. She could've had Peach's hair.
Lol. Too true. I always loved how if you got hit just right, the long part of the hair would seperate from the head slightly, and there would be a blank gap of nothingness.

I love her boots. I hope they leave prints on my opponents face when I fair/bair them. ;)

@ Pappioll: You silly artistic types. You counln't understand :laugh:

I think the boots show what a tomboy Zelda is beneath her royal exterior... you know, just a subtle implication.

-spAzn-

Smash Journeyman
Ah the whole shoe ordeal has made it's way back I see lol. Well like I said before I prefer her boots way more then her heels. Though I always wondered exactly how high do they go hmm.

As for the infamous Zelda Melee hair man it just looked like a big blob of yellow stuck to her head. Even when you weren't moving it was like stuck in a horizontal position it just looked so weird. Zelda's Brawl hair looks much more better the color and the design it's nice I think.

The Zelda board makes me experience feelings of deja vu though what can you expect when you haven't had an update in over 6 months.:laugh:

Pappioll

Smash Apprentice
hehe this is really entertaining... and yeah... heels is good to poke someone.. but boots are shmexy hehe
Boots are eeewish!
When I play Brawl, I will hide those disgusting boots under her dress as much as I can. :chuckle:

Top Bottom