• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Appreciation Thread

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
Princess Zelda: Everyone's Favorite Hylian Princess

Princess Zelda is a fictional character in The Legend of Zelda series of video games. She is a member of Hyrule's royal family and plays an integral role in the history of Hyrule. Though she is the eponymous character, the player takes control of the hero, Link. Usually, Zelda is in some way kidnapped or imprisoned by Ganon, also known as Ganondorf. In some games she appears as one of the sages (wise men and women). In later games she has been shown to be a form of prophetess. In Ocarina of Time and The Minish Cap she displays other magical powers, such as powerful attacks and force fields. Creator Shigeru Miyamoto has stated that her name was inspired by Zelda Fitzgerald, the wife of American novelist F. Scott Fitzgerald.
This thread is made in appreciation towards Princess Zelda, the young Princess of the land of Hyrule [This thread was also made for everyone who thinks that there are too many Sheik threads in the Zelda character forum]. In this thread you can discuss anything concerning Princess Zelda, aside from Sheik. You can discuss possible buffs or nerfs that can be given to Zelda. You can discuss how she will be played in the Subspace Emissary [after being trophy-tized by Wario]. You can discuss Final Smash Speculation and even movesets for Zelda. Anything you would like to mention about Zelda can be mentioned here. You can post fan art and icon support.

Please note that this is a gathering of Zelda users/likers and there should be a limit to flaming. Also note that, by posting here, you can be considered a Zelda supporter or someone who would like to know about Zelda.

BTW, Pappioll has made a brilliant recolor thread! If you have yet to see it, click here:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=116754

Drake3

Smash Ace
I'm glad you made this topic as I wasn't sure how to do it gracefully. However I'm not sure there's a whole lot to discuss without new information being released. I think Sakurai is trying to emphacize her magic more in this one? One of her new taunts use it, her Dair (yes I still think that was her Dair) uses it now. Hopefully her Dsmash will also have some new effect.

Juuuust out of curiosity's sake, does anyone think that Sora should have rebuilt her for Brawl?

Also it's really not cool for Wario to trophy-ize her.

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
Yeah, I think I failed at making it graceful myself. There wasn't much I could think of putting at the moment but I'll get something up there later on.

It does seem to be more magic orientated but I like it more that way. That's what makes Zelda so awesome. How many people in the SSB series have really used magic? I don't really think Ness nor Mewtwo count because their's are psychic powers, even though Ganondorf does seem to count...
Anyways, I am curious as to ask what Zelda's Dair is? I have yet to see it and I would like to know what it is, seeing as I hated it in Melee.

I don't think Sora should have changed her. I like Zelda the way she is but I would like her even if she was changed so maybe I wouldn't be the best person to answer that question... I'll leave it for someone else.

I'm also curious to see what happens after Zelda gets trophy-ized. I wonder if Wario sells her to Ganondorf, leaving Link to go and save her again :O
But that's just horrible speculation.

Drake3

Smash Ace
In my opinion, Mewtwo and Ness do not count. >_> As psychic users I think they fit more into science fiction than they do with fantasy. Ganondorf sorta counts I guess, but he's just a Falcon clone, and that would be like saying Captain Falcon is a magic user.

Well it's either Nair or Dair, but it has the Dair animation from Melee:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EPCxdEihxM

She puts her foot down and 2 sparkle-geysers spring up beside her.

Luthien

Smash Ace
I, quite frankly, probably won't find out what happens to Zelda in SE until far after I buy the game. I'll just save her and watch Peach get impaled by a massive glowing arrow...

...however, my guess is that Link does come to save her, but when he gets there, she's already owned all the bad guys and asks why he took so long (and if you really think that's going to happen, I have a magical ocarina which allows you to warp to te forrest temple...).

As for whether or not Zelda should've been rebuilt, I think that's kind've a "What if..." alternate reality kind of question. I think there are far worse things they could've done to her than what they did in Melee, but, granted, they could've done better too. I think it's sort of a "You'll only know when you see it" thing.

Just my thoughts on my favourite Hylian princess. (Actually, is the Twilight Realm a twisted Hyrule, or is it a different world entirely? Because if they're both "Hyrule", my favourite princess between Midna/Zelda would change depending on whether or not I've got "Spider-pig" stuck in my head).

Reyairia

Smash Champion
I like how sakurai made Zelda a brunette, the large amount of blue eyed blondes get annoying after a while. I think she should stay that way for the rest of the Zelda series. :0

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
In my opinion, Mewtwo and Ness do not count. >_> As psychic users I think they fit more into science fiction than they do with fantasy. Ganondorf sorta counts I guess, but he's just a Falcon clone, and that would be like saying Captain Falcon is a magic user.

Well it's either Nair or Dair, but it has the Dair animation from Melee:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EPCxdEihxM

She puts her foot down and 2 sparkle-geysers spring up beside her.
Yeah, you're kinda right about Captain Falcon... but either way we'll call him a "magic" user.

I think I know what part you're talking about. I thought that was nair but I never really paid much attention to that anyways. Thank you for bringing that out to me though.

About Zelda's hair... I was rather disappointed at first when they changed her to a brunette. I liked blond Zelda better. :/ But all that has changed now and I am totally for Zelda being like that for the rest of the LoZ series... unless they can come up with a way to make her even better :O

RWB

Smash Ace
I like the fact that Zelda is back to being a brunette, even if I liked Tetras design far more than I like Zeldas...

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
THANK YOU for making this thread. I was thinking that they'd have to split this into two different forums, one for Zelda, one for Sheik, like the Melee character forums, and Sheik hasn't even been confirmed yet! :-o

To be fair, they've also hardly given us jack to discuss about Zelda. :(

I like Zelda as a brunette. It helps distinguish her. Honestly I wish they would've left Samus with her green hair from the NES game, that way not every major female Nintendo character would be all aryan, but whatever. I digress. A Link to the Past was (and still is) my favorite Zelda game, and she looked brunette in there, so I consider this a return to her roots - even if one wants to argue she was brunette only for reasons of programming limitations!

I like that she's a magic user, although I do consider Zelda to be a psychic also. (Not that this is the sole reason I consider her psychic,) Her grab is pretty psychic-y.

I wish they'd toss us a bone with these updates here. Even today's update, when they were demoing some of the items, they could have at least let Zelda demo one, but no! It's like they want us to forget about her completely. What I would really like is an update of her moves. I mentioned this in another thread, that not wanting to confirm/disconfirm Sheik is a lousy excuse for not giving any Zelda character updates - can Sheik's inclusion/omission REALLY be the most SECRET thing in the game? Heck, we already know about online play, I'd say that's a bigger, more important component of the game.

Anyway, enough ranting. :) If they'd give us more to talk about, I'd have more to say here.

Drake3

Smash Ace
I like that she's a magic user, although I do consider Zelda to be a psychic also. (Not that this is the sole reason I consider her psychic,) Her grab is pretty psychic-y.
Yeah, seeing as all of her throws involve telekinesis in some way definitely screams psychic connection. But then again, she has both psychic and magic powers, right? Also note how quickly she grabs that primid out of the air and BThrows him to his death.

About Zelda's hair... I was rather disappointed at first when they changed her to a brunette. I liked blond Zelda better. :/ But all that has changed now and I am totally for Zelda being like that for the rest of the LoZ series... unless they can come up with a way to make her even better :O
Good that you've joined the dark side. Comparing the OoT design to TP design, I have to go with brunette. Blonde was nice, but I think brunette is a more sophisticated colour.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I like Zelda, she's a great character, since I don't use her or Sheik, I'm pretty neutral, I use them both the same amount.

Still, if you don't mind I'd like to add:

- Shiek doesn't have an appreciation thread
- All the threads on this board have 9/10 members as anti-Shiek (or at least in Zelda's moveset) members.

Really, I don't see what the Zelda fans have to be so upset about. But I'll forgive you all when if Sheik is revealed, tehre can be a Shiek appreciation thread & noone goes on there to moan. ;)

Drake3

Smash Ace
I like Zelda, she's a great character, since I don't use her or Sheik, I'm pretty neutral, I use them both the same amount.

- All the threads on this board have 9/10 members as anti-Shiek (or at least in Zelda's moveset) members.

Really, I don't see what the Zelda fans have to be so upset about. But I'll forgive you all when if Sheik is revealed, tehre can be a Shiek appreciation thread & noone goes on there to moan. ;)
Don't make me hurt you. >_>

It's because all of our conversation eventually deteriorates into one about Sheik that mutation.

heypancho

Smash Apprentice
I don't really notice the brunette hair anymore o_o, but in all honesty I can't help but think Zelda is mad all the time with the Brawl look. It's not that it's TP Zelda. I've seen screenshots of her from the game and I think her face isn't as long, which might be the reason.

ANYWAYS.. O_O!!.. I use Zelda now and then.. and her air game I think needs more flexibility. To me her fair/bair renders all her other airs useless. Why nair when you can fair @_@!!!!!

aand.. in TP I hear she uses a sword. I think that's cool.. like.. if it was for Brawl >_>. But then I think that would involve changing nearly everything. I mean, It would be weird to have her summon the sword for a single attack. But really, female/magic/sword/princess/betterthanpeach would be unique.

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
She does look angry in Brawl, it's like she always has this scowl on her face. But maybe that's the idea, since it is about beating folks up and whatnot ;)

Back to the brown hair, I really do think it is more like a dirty blonde... but at least it's not lemon blonde anymore!

Iris

Smash Ace
I agree, Zelda's narrow face in brawl makes her look a little angry. It was much wider and less adult-like in TP. As for the hair, I'm glad she's brunette. I can't count how many times I mixed her and Peach up during battle.

I can't imagine Zelda using a sword for just one move either, and I hope they don't incorporate a sword-wielding version into her Down B, though I guess it would make her kind of unique like she was in Melee. It's conceivable though, since she did have some moves as Puppet Zelda that she could use for specials. I just want an all-magic based moveset.

Drake3

Smash Ace
Her expression is really hard to describe. I think she looks more pensive in her attacks. As for the sword thing, while it would be cool to have all 3 Trifoce members utilize a sword, it would change her moveset entirely and take alot away from her magic. I can't think of how it could work beneficially.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Personally I don't think Shiek is appreciated... just argued against. But you're right, this isn't the thread to talk about that in, so I'll keep it out.

Personally, I think Zelda's hair is a bit too brown in Brawl for sure... She's always been blonde/light brown before.

Luthien

Smash Ace
I don't think Zelda looks constantly angry. I just think she looks... er... determined.

Really, I think she's just more reserved than most people. The fact that she's standing next to the hyper-active epitome-of-a-'blonde' doesn't really help her look either.

Oh, and I love the brown hair. I can't picture it blonde. It would be blinding.

HipsterKid

Smash Ace

Yes, you have a point but this is not the place to talk about Sheik. I am a Sheik supporter but this is Zelda discussion and about two-thirds of the threads in the Zelda topic are about Sheik. I'm just trying to give Zelda a bit of a jump, since I love her so much :D

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Zelda's hair in Melee was a bit blinding, but personally the brown in this is a bit too dark. :ohwell:

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
I dunno... on this monitor, her hair is quite dark, but when I view pictures of her on my laptop computer, it seems a whole lot blonder indeed.

Violet

Smash Cadet
They really need to buff Zelda up; she was pitiful compared to Sheik which sucked :[. Her B side wasn't that great and she was so slow.

Alas, I am a great Zelda fan. She's awesome, and I was a bit dismayed at first at her appearence, but she's far more distinguished than Peach now. Looking back at Melee, she's quite ugly there. Like a more serious Peach.

Drake3

Smash Ace
At least she didn't have Peach's hairstyle. I'm glad that Brawl really separates them in terms of aesthetic appearance, if only because it highlights how truly different they are.

Pappioll

Smash Apprentice
Ah, my favorite thread from now and on. ^^
As for Zelda's hair, I didn't like it in the start off. I really missed the blonde hair. But now, I love it. I want her as a brunette. It makes her look a lot more special and interesting. ;)

And as everyone else thinks here in this thread I reaaally want Zelda to get buffed. Im not saying that I want "high tier Zelda". But c'mon, she sucked in Melee. Some stuff that I would like to have changed are

- Din's Fire more powerful, and with much more knockback.
- Uair faster, it was sort of slow in Melee.
- Nair more powerful, something like Peach's Nair would be nice.
- Dair. Do I really have to explain?
- Dsmash should get some magic involved.
- Utilt faster, it was useless in Melee.
- Ftilt more range.

I guess that's all, I may have missed something.

And at last, Shiek. Get rid of her. I want 100% focus on Zelda, not her alter ego. I wouldn't mind seperate characters though.

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
Ah, my favorite thread from now and on. ^^
As for Zelda's hair, I didn't like it in the start off. I really missed the blonde hair. But now, I love it. I want her as a brunette. It makes her look a lot more special and interesting. ;)

And as everyone else thinks here in this thread I reaaally want Zelda to get buffed. Im not saying that I want "high tier Zelda". But c'mon, she sucked in Melee. Some stuff that I would like to have changed are

- Din's Fire more powerful, and with much more knockback.
- Uair faster, it was sort of slow in Melee.
- Nair more powerful, something like Peach's Nair would be nice.
- Dair. Do I really have to explain?
- Dsmash should get some magic involved.
- Utilt faster, it was useless in Melee.
- Ftilt more range.

I guess that's all, I may have missed something.

And at last, Shiek. Get rid of her. I want 100% focus on Zelda, not her alter ego. I wouldn't mind seperate characters though.
All of those things are good ideas for Zelda. I think her neutral B could use a bit of a change, not so much a buff, but maybe something like Fox's reflector, minus the spike.

And Pappioll, I need to ask you a few questions...

I really like your Zelda recolor thread. I'm not sure how many people responding in this thread have seen it but would you mind if I put a link to it in the original post? I think that would open this up more for discussion.
The other thing I wanted to know is if you would mind doing a Zelda recolor, matching the color schemes used for Zelda in Melee. That would easily bring up some discussion.

Would that at all be possible?

Arean

Smash Ace
Her dress looks way more royal than peach, also i like she doesnt look angry at all, its more of the
"I wont let link save my butt this time" I mean, look at her, she casts din's fire with her eyes open. It really screams "Watch out im ACTUALLY going to hurt you this time!"

:p but yeah Zelda will and always rule

I wonder why her voice didnt really change >.> I was expecting new voice acting

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
Her dress looks way more royal than peach, also i like she doesnt look angry at all, its more of the
"I wont let link save my butt this time" I mean, look at her, she casts din's fire with her eyes open. It really screams "Watch out im ACTUALLY going to hurt you this time!"

:p but yeah Zelda will and always rule

I wonder why her voice didnt really change >.> I was expecting new voice acting
Heh that's true. It does seem more determined. Not angry.

I'm actually glad that they didn't change Zelda's voice. I liked the one in Melee. And did Zelda ever actually make any noise in TP? I'm not completely done with it but I've gotten far enough to say that no, she hasn't, unless of course, I wasn't paying attention.

Pappioll

Smash Apprentice
All of those things are good ideas for Zelda. I think her neutral B could use a bit of a change, not so much a buff, but maybe something like Fox's reflector, minus the spike.

And Pappioll, I need to ask you a few questions...

I really like your Zelda recolor thread. I'm not sure how many people responding in this thread have seen it but would you mind if I put a link to it in the original post? I think that would open this up more for discussion.
The other thing I wanted to know is if you would mind doing a Zelda recolor, matching the color schemes used for Zelda in Melee. That would easily bring up some discussion.

Would that at all be possible?
Of course, do whatever you want with it! :)
Oh so you want costumes that are similiar to her Melee ones? I can recolor for sure, it's Zelda after all. ;)

Ah, how could I forget Nayru's love. Maybe it should be speeded up a bit? And with better recovery?

Im happy they didn't change her voice, it was perfect in Melee! :D

I will post my recolors later, probably in my Zelda recolor thread.

Drake3

Smash Ace
...Where did you guys hear her voice? Anyway, I like the Melee one. I think all of the sounds that she made were right for whatever it was she was doing. And her Star KO dying scream was way better than Peach's.

Pappioll

Smash Apprentice
...Where did you guys hear her voice? Anyway, I like the Melee one. I think all of the sounds that she made were right for whatever it was she was doing. And her Star KO dying scream was way better than Peach's.
You can her voice when she gets damaged(?) in the fight with Petey Piranha in the Nintendo Conference Fall 2007 Movie.

Btw, I've added new recolors to my Zelda recolor thread, the ones from Melee. Stay tuned for more ;)

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=116754

Arean

Smash Ace
she did grunt in twilight princess.. the part where she was attacked by zant and where she drops her sword.
technically its all hmmmmmms eeeeeeehs ahhhhhhhhhhs

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
I didn't really doubt Zelda's VA to change. The VA she had in Melee , and seems to have in Brawl was her VA in TP , and I'm pretty sure OOT too.
I think Jun Mizusawa was the only VA from OOT to reprise her role in TP. I'm not too sure about Link , but Ganon's VA was definitely changed.

Iris

Smash Ace
I could tell there wasn't a change after seeing her use Farore's Wind in the SSE movie. To be honest though, I hope they add some more voice and sound affects to the moves where she's usually silent.

Zone

Smash Champion
I think Zelda's expressions is a smirk, knowing the heels of steel will pwn you.

A Dream come true to me would be a Zelda game where you play as Zelda and Link = Co-op. Wouldn't that be SICK!?

Also I really really enjoy Zelda in SSBM because I feel like I created her meta game(For myself), mainly because I didn't have anyone else to watch. I did get a few tips here and there, but for the most part, I learned and critiqued myself more than anything, and learned from it. However my other characters, are completely copy cats of other people I've watched. It looks effective, so I'm gonna use it.

I always main female characters in games, you can ask my friend Tropical Taco >.>;. I enjoy seeing woman as protagonists and kicking butt, because There are too many male heroines. So as Zelda grows less and less helpless in recent games, I like her as a character more and more. Which is probably why I mained Samus first.

lol, when I played twilight princess, instead of looking forward to the boss of the temple, I look forward to meeting Zelda, and hoping to see her pwn, which it kinda did toward the end(Won't spoil anything)

Frankly I can't really picture zelda fighting with a sword. Although I'm sure that nintendo can do it. I mean they gave Captain falcon a moveset >.>;

I hope that for color changers, there are also costume changes. For example have Zelda in dress form, Zelda in Hoody form, and so on. Or like Link, alt costume = shadow link, alt costume = fierce deity link. Not jsut change the colors. (Not gonna happen but that would be cool)

That would be cool to see her atleast upp mid tier or high tier in brawl. I really hope we break down brawl to make it a great deep game like we did with Melee.

Edit: and about Naryu's love, you should be able to Jump cancel it!! Muhahaha Death to all!

Arean

Smash Ace
I cant say heels of steel.. since zelda is wearing boots now if you havent noticed

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
Of course, do whatever you want with it! :)
Oh so you want costumes that are similiar to her Melee ones? I can recolor for sure, it's Zelda after all. ;)

Ah, how could I forget Nayru's love. Maybe it should be speeded up a bit? And with better recovery?

Im happy they didn't change her voice, it was perfect in Melee! :D

I will post my recolors later, probably in my Zelda recolor thread.
They are all so beautiful :D I like every single one of them.
On this one do you think you could make her hair blond? To see how it would look like if they hadn't changed her hair/dress color at all?

Hehe I loved Zelda's overly-dramatic "Oh no, I'm about to die" scream. :chuckle:

I cant say heels of steel.. since zelda is wearing boots now if you havent noticed
Well maybe it won't be heels of steel this time. I don't see them changing her Fair though because it was one of her best killing moves. I think they can adjust it to make it work with boots. But how?...

On another note, how do you all feel seeing Lucas's Special Moves updated yesterday, after he's been on the DOJO for what... weeks?

Top Bottom