• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Appreciation Thread

Pappioll

Smash Apprentice
They are all so beautiful :D I like every single one of them.
On this one do you think you could make her hair blond? To see how it would look like if they hadn't changed her hair/dress color at all?

Hehe I loved Zelda's overly-dramatic "Oh no, I'm about to die" scream. :chuckle:

Well maybe it won't be heels of steel this time. I don't see them changing her Fair though because it was one of her best killing moves. I think they can adjust it to make it work with boots. But how?...

On another note, how do you all feel seeing Lucas's Special Moves updated yesterday, after he's been on the DOJO for what... weeks?
Here you go ;)

I will add this picture to the recolor thread.
I don't know what haircolor I prefer on Zelda actually. Brunette and blonde both suits her, but I think I like the brunette just a tiny bit more. :p

Drake3

Smash Ace
Hehe I loved Zelda's overly-dramatic "Oh no, I'm about to die" scream. :chuckle:
It's like the greatest thing ever. I'm pretty glad that they kept the same voice actress because she's very good.

Well maybe it won't be heels of steel this time. I don't see them changing her Fair though because it was one of her best killing moves. I think they can adjust it to make it work with boots. But how?...
I think that they'll change it slightly, but giving that specific move a trophy on its own must mean they knew what they were doing. Maybe they'll raise all of the other attacks up a notch closer to the heel.

On another note, how do you all feel seeing Lucas's Special Moves updated yesterday, after he's been on the DOJO for what... weeks?
Infinite rage. Well, no, I really wanted to see Lucas' moves too. Not as much as Zelda but what can ya do.

It's strange though. Every other vet has at least their Final Smash up (except for IC's but I'm sure we'll be seeing that soon anyway).

Arean

Smash Ace
pappiol dont you think that blonde is a little bit to bright? you can subdue it a little... its really eye blinding!
hehe yay its zelda's new shine

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
I think that they'll change it slightly, but giving that specific move a trophy on its own must mean they knew what they were doing. Maybe they'll raise all of the other attacks up a notch closer to the heel.
Hopefully they won't change it too much. I really liked that move. :/

Infinite rage. Well, no, I really wanted to see Lucas' moves too. Not as much as Zelda but what can ya do.

It's strange though. Every other vet has at least their Final Smash up (except for IC's but I'm sure we'll be seeing that soon anyway).
Yeah, you're right there. I didn't really get too upset. I'm just glad it's one less person's moves we have to worry about. Sakurai MUST give some attention to the Ice Climbers and Zelda sometime soon, right?

Thanks to Pappioll for being more discussion possibilities to the thread:

Bringing in OoT Zelda with TP design.

What are your opinions on it? Should the hair/design color stayed? Would you like the blond with pink combo? Would you rather keep it purple?

Arean

Smash Ace
yay a new zelda combo hehe >.>

i was really surprised with her looks at first. now i like em... has anyone noticed.. Zelda from SSE cutscenes look different from ingame zelda?

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
I prefer Zelda's TP design. She really suits being a brunette , and it sort of forms a contrast between her and Link.
The OOT hair/dress doesn't really suit her TP counterpart for some reason. The OOT dress is a typical fairytale princess dress in a way. her TP dress makes her look ...more realistic? , She also reminds me too much of Peach in the pink dress =S

Pappioll

Smash Apprentice
pappiol dont you think that blonde is a little bit to bright? you can subdue it a little... its really eye blinding!
hehe yay its zelda's new shine
Actually, this blonde color is more realistic than the lemon-yellow color that she had in Melee. It's a bit more "pale."

I prefer her brown hair though, even if blonde is kinda pretty.

Drake3

Smash Ace
The Brawl version of her TP design is more purple than the dress actually is. Maybe it's just the effects but in TP it looks more white than anything.

Also did we ever figure out what attack she's using in the second pic on her page?

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Drake3 said:
did we ever figure out what attack she's using in the second pic on her page?
I believe that attack was her standard smash attack, assuming you're referring to the picture I think you're referring to.
Anyhow, in Melee, Zelda was both my favorite and most frequently used character...aside from Marth. Originally, I did play as her a lot only for her Sheik transformation, but after focusing on and getting used to her normal form, she eventually came about being one of my best fighters. Nowadays, I use Zelda a lot more than I use Sheik. And, I am definitely looking forward to seeing how she overall turns out to be like in Brawl.

Zone

Smash Champion
The Brawl version of her TP design is more purple than the dress actually is. Maybe it's just the effects but in TP it looks more white than anything.

Also did we ever figure out what attack she's using in the second pic on her page?
looks like Jab to me.

Iris

Smash Ace
I think it goes standard pose, start of Din's Fire in the air, end of Din's Fire on the gorund, and down tilt. Nothing new.

Drake3

Smash Ace
Yeah I was just looking at her page (and that gaping void where information should be) and I realised I couldn't figure out that picture. Her dress is slanted so I didn't think she was on the ground, but it didn't look like any of her aerials. Maybe it is Din's Fire in the air.

Drake3

Smash Ace
Hmm I'll have to check that, later though.

What do you guys think of the possibility of the Goddess powers being relocated to smash attacks like Black/Light pointed out? Farore's Wind can't obviously, but Nayru could be Dsmash and Din could be Fsmash.

Iris

Smash Ace
I can't imagine Din's Fire changing. Her side tilt, side smash, and Din's Fire are all confirmed, how would they relocate? Nayru's love I can see, simply because those types of moves are generally vB material, and the goddesses being non-neutral wouldn't only be consistent, it'd give Zelda a completely original move for her neutral B, like most characters have.

Drake3

Smash Ace
Oh right, I forgot about that one picture with her Fsmash. Oh well.

New question: Should Din's Fire still put you in free-fall state?

Also, considering that fast characters have an advantage in melee games, and that heavy characters now have super armor to sort of compensate, what will happen to the slow, light characters like Zelda? How can she (and Kirby) compete against characters that are speedy?

Iris

Smash Ace
It shouldn't free fall and you should be able to cancel. Dragging horizontally with Din's Fire, canceling (or executing), and using Farore's Wind will hopefully give her an edge and help keep her recovery from being so linear.

I think some people are speculating that Farore's Wind has super armor, but in the video, she never took damage during it, so I don't know. Hopefully she'll get super armor on some of her attacks if they aren't sped up.

Arean

Smash Ace
Light weight ones like kirby? in my opinion... kirby has average speed and combo ability... and zelda.... is a different story. Her din's fire really needs some upgrades, likes speed or more explosive power. Her Uair seems to have little range now, i wish they added more power to it like link's Bombs in 64

Zone

Smash Champion
It shouldn't free fall and you should be able to cancel. Dragging horizontally with Din's Fire, canceling (or executing), and using Farore's Wind will hopefully give her an edge and help keep her recovery from being so linear.

I think some people are speculating that Farore's Wind has super armor, but in the video, she never took damage during it, so I don't know. Hopefully she'll get super armor on some of her attacks if they aren't sped up.
You don't need Din's fire to help you recover. Zelda alreayd has a really nice recovery. And if you DI good. You can nearly float back alot of the times and only use a jump and a airdodge to make it back.

The opponent has 2 choices to edge guard you if the first scenario I said doesn't come into play and you HAVE to use Up+B.

Well if you're above the stage, you can either sweet spot. mostly that's the best choice. or if they are edge hogging already, Tele into mid stage and have it aimed so you get as much horizontal distance from the edge, and less vertical distance from the ground.

So the guy either has to 1. Hold the ledge, and hope u try to sweet spot and fail and die.
2.) if he thinks you're going into the stage he has to get off the edge fast, and chase you.

Well if he chooses scenario 2, and you sweetspotted he just screwed up assuming you would tele into the stage, and now you got the ledge.

And I mean most of the time I can make it back with a jump and air dodge.

So I don't think you really need to make Din's fire help her recover. She's plenty good now. People who need to not suck at recoverying is Ganon and Captain falcon and Ness

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
Also, considering that fast characters have an advantage in melee games, and that heavy characters now have super armor to sort of compensate, what will happen to the slow, light characters like Zelda? How can she (and Kirby) compete against characters that are speedy?
The slow light weighted characters, such as Zelda, Lucas, and Mewtwo will have slow running speed but unlike slow heavy characters, should have fast acting attacks. Their attacks should be stronger, last longer, and/or have more aoe compared to faster characters (to compensate for their light weight and slow running speed).

Zone

Smash Champion
The slow light weighted characters, such as Zelda, Lucas, and Mewtwo will have slow running speed but unlike slow heavy characters, should have fast acting attacks. Their attacks should be stronger, last longer, and/or have more aoe compared to faster characters (to compensate for their light weight and slow running speed).
Yea she'll be a power house like Ganondorf!!

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
Yea she'll be a power house like Ganondorf!!
I'm not saying she should have all 3 attributes to the extreme, but she does need to have SOME tradeoff for bieng slow and light.

For example, if you are against her having high powered moves (which she will have), she could have moves with large aoe to catch the fast people that scurry around everywhere.

I found out how aoe and long lasting attacks counter fast people by playing my friends who play fox/shiek/etc, and are for the most part better than me. But when I use zelda I seem to be on a more even playing field , as they run right into my attacks.

There were still problems with melee zelda in that not all her moves were built that way and some of her moves like dair just sucked (they eventually started to beat me again since my moves got predictable since only a few moves display this property and/or are useful) but you get my point.

footbagjames

Smash Rookie
Lightning kick...FTW

You know, it's a bit odd how even though there are tons and tons of new characters to play and explore I'm still looking forward to Zelda the most and will most likely be the first character I play when I get the game.

Iris

Smash Ace
Din's Fire without the free-fall would add versatility. Not saying Zelda needs that much distance since she already has it, but it'd be like tether recovery or Marth's four-hit special. A little extra versatility to your recovery to make it less predictable and punishable.

Zone

Smash Champion
Din's Fire without the free-fall would add versatility. Not saying Zelda needs that much distance since she already has it, but it'd be like tether recovery or Marth's four-hit special. A little extra versatility to your recovery to make it less predictable and punishable.
Right but Marth can't teleport and make the opponent guess where he is going. Not only that but if Marth did not have his forward B well... he'd be REALLY easy to gimp with shiek. Since Forward b's help you save your jump for when you need it toward the stage to avoid an attack.

And also because Zelda can teleport and not get hit mid tele, if they don't mess up your starting animation you're going to make it to the stage(Hopefully far from the edge your coming in at) or Sweetspotting.

Marth however you can easily see where he is going, and can usually tell when he's going to UP+B

Drake3

Smash Ace
I find her teleport to be so predictable. It's honestly so easy to guess where Zelda's going to go based on the options. I personally want Din's Fire as a projectile for coming back onto the stage with, just to mess with edge-guarders. I'm getting sick of kicking back on and then having to sweetspot Fafore.

Zone

Smash Champion
I find her teleport to be so predictable. It's honestly so easy to guess where Zelda's going to go based on the options. I personally want Din's Fire as a projectile for coming back onto the stage with, just to mess with edge-guarders. I'm getting sick of kicking back on and then having to sweetspot Fafore.
If i'm correct you have 16 directions. And if The opponent truly wants to punish zelda somewhere midstage He will have to let go of the edge nearly immedately after Zelda dissappears. So if you sweet spotted anyways. You'll have the ledge that he released. IF he holds it just incase you tried to sweet spot. you'll land with lag but you're able to most likely get ur shield up. Also don't have your tag on like I do. makes it really easy to tell where she is going.

This probably won't work against fox and falcon. They are REally fast and can catch up anyways most likely.

We're talking about fixing Zelda's recovery and in all honesty it isn't really even that bad to begin with. Din's fire should very well be cancel-able to avoid getting punished all the time and make it more usefule. OR atleast make it do more than 7% >.>'. But don't make Forward b cancel-able just so you can recover a little better. She really doesn't need it. Like I said alot of times unless your REALLY knocked out there at a non-upward diagnal level which you sorta should be cuz of DI. You'll make it back in w/o a tele. and Being able to airdodge a move toward the stage, is way more safe. She has a good air dodge.

Besides if I can beat Fox or falco or Captain falcon to the edge. I can stall with my up+B right after I grab, and hit him on the edge into a free kick.

Besides you'd have to change the physics of how zelda moves after the din's fire otherwise you'll kinda follow right behind it >.> and it moves so slow. Make din's fire move faster.

Perhaps make DIn's fires physics more like Ness's up+B, or make it so after you push Forward+B you can do w/e and the fireball goes toward the enemy like samu's seeking missles.

Iris

Smash Ace
I don't want her Din's Fire to be cancellable and non-free fall simply for recovery, but that's certainly be an added use.

Eventhough Farore's Wind can go at a lot of angles, the lag from landing and completely straight traveling path makes it easily punishable. Whenever you don't sweetspot the edge you either get a laggy recovery off the ground or you teleport in the air and fall slowly, defenseless, which makes her very vulnerable. The distance isn't the problem, the predictability is.

Zone

Smash Champion
I don't want her Din's Fire to be cancellable and non-free fall simply for recovery, but that's certainly be an added use.

Eventhough Farore's Wind can go at a lot of angles, the lag from landing and completely straight traveling path makes it easily punishable. Whenever you don't sweetspot the edge you either get a laggy recovery off the ground or you teleport in the air and fall slowly, defenseless, which makes her very vulnerable. The distance isn't the problem, the predictability is.
lol, we're going in circles here.

I know her teleport has lag on it. Which is why I said hold the horizontal Teleport land so you can land as far from the edge as you can from the edge the guy is holding, or you can sweet spot. Zelda has a very far Up+B. If you land as far into the stage as possible. I'm fairly sure only Fox, Captain FAlcon, Marth, and maybe another 1-2 fast chasers MIGHT catch her. But for the most part, they still gotta let go of the edge fairly quickly. which most likely woulda gave you a chance to sweet spot.

It's not as predictable as MANY MANY of the other characters.

For example.
Ganon, Captain Falcon, Fox, Falco, Peach(If your Marth or Falcon, few others who can punish her quick), Luigi, Ness.

All those characters are way more easier to keep off the stage than Zelda IMO. Especially the first 4 and the last one.

Doc, Mario, Marth, Roy, and Link, they have predictable recoverys but not so easy to punish in alot of scenarios. Their up+b's have nice priority, and stall moves to keep them in the air to stall time for an opening or link, mario, and Dr.'s projectiles.

IMO opinion these guys are about even, because like I said before with Good DI, Zelda doesn't even need a Up+B more than half the time. Now matchups differ.

Like for example, Zelda's Recovery will suck more vs Fox, than SAy probably, Marth's will, Mainly because Fox is too fast and can probably reach Zelda anyways. Marth on the other hand, fox has to be sure his invincibility frames are up when Marth Up+B's, which isn't always ez with a MArth who managed to save a jump. Fox doesn't need to worry about making invincibility frames vs zelda, IF zelda needs to Up+B which is easy to tell for fox depending on where she is at off state, then he just has to make sure not to get kicked when she's coming in.

and those 2 choices I said for vs Zelda was only her up+B. Zelda is way less predictable with her airdodge, and a jump. Which she probably will have alot of the time.

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
I see that we have quite the conversation going on here.

I don't mean to interrupt this quite interesting debate but I have some questions to pose...

What do you guys think happens after Wario steals Zelda? Who do you think ends up being Zelda's partner in the game? And what would you do if Zelda actually said words with a voice speaking to it?

You don't have to answer if you don't want to but I'm just saying..

Drake3

Smash Ace
What do you guys think happens after Wario steals Zelda?
Infinite pain shall be inflicted upon him. Well he'll probably just give her to the Ancient Minister. He's probably trying to start a collection of trophies or something.

Who do you think ends up being Zelda's partner in the game? And what would you do if Zelda actually said words with a voice speaking to it?
I don't think that Zelda has a partner. I think Peach and Zelda are the weird unique "fork in the road" type of characters in the story. They won't have partners in the SSE story, they'll just be part of your main team. And Zelda will never speak >_>

Pappioll

Smash Apprentice
This is kinda off topic, but I just wanted to post my Zelda fanart I drew some weeks ago. :)
Tell me what you think about it, what I should improve and stuff. I want to get better with drawing Zelda.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
This is kinda off topic, but I just wanted to post my Zelda fanart I drew some weeks ago. :)
Tell me what you think about it, what I should improve and stuff. I want to get better with drawing Zelda.

Hm. it's good.
I think I know the pic you were using as a reference. There's something strange about the eyes. Their distance apart looks right , but there's something odd about them. Might be the shape of the face. The face also doesn't seem quite long enough, just needs edged down a little, and the nose could be more defined.
I really like the way you've captured the shape of the arms. I can never get the arms right when I draw/paint Zelda. ><

Zone

Smash Champion
Well since we are talking Ifs,

I saw a character select thing in the single player where you could choose between (Kirby, Mario, Zelda, Peach) So I don't think there are partners but teams.

If Zelda talked, She better not sound like a little girl.

I wouldn't know what happens to zelda when wario captures her, Because I'm only gonna save zelda and let peach get captured >.> "What happens to the princess you don't save?" Guess you can choose who to save by hitting the right cage consistently

Iris

Smash Ace
I have no idea what Wario will do. He doesn't seem like the type who'd work for the bad guys. He'd probably keep her hostage himself.

I hate how Peach and Zelda are probably going to have lame interchangable, non-specific plotlines in SSE. Hopefully they'll develop them too, so after the beginning they'll actually have a story like everyone else. If she gets into a team after pairing with Kirby, hopefully it'll be with Link or another Zelda character. If not, at least put her with a human looking character so it doesn't look so incongruous.

I won't mind if Zelda speaks. Hopefully it'll be text dialogue for everyone though.

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
I don't think that Zelda has a partner. I think Peach and Zelda are the weird unique "fork in the road" type of characters in the story. They won't have partners in the SSE story, they'll just be part of your main team. And Zelda will never speak >_>
This is IF they end up getting partners and IF she speaks.

Well since we are talking Ifs,

I saw a character select thing in the single player where you could choose between (Kirby, Mario, Zelda, Peach) So I don't think there are partners but teams.
Well you do get to choose who the partners of the situation will be. If you've noticed on the Diddy Kong/Donkey Kong video you HAVE to be either DK or Diddy. There aren't more than 2 people in that situation.
And if you watched the subspace videos from E for All, you'd know that after you save Peach/Zelda, Kirby runs off with [Insert Name Here]. What I'm asking is what do you think happens at that point.

I wouldn't know what happens to zelda when wario captures her, Because I'm only gonna save zelda and let peach get captured >.> "What happens to the princess you don't save?" Guess you can choose who to save by hitting the right cage consistently
And then what happens in a possible situation where you have to save Peach to get a unlock a possible character? This is a WHAT IF question. I don't mean to get any other answer than "I think.." :/

Top Bottom