• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Main and Why

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Lol okay, but still, it still sounds wrong, very wrong... Who cares

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'm in the awkward process of wanting to main Falcon, but realizing that I already do better with Marth, who I've spent less time on.

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
Sheik because she was my melee main. That's right, I downloaded a revamped melee with all new characters and options just so I could play the exact same character as in another game

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That's fine cause Sheik got some goodies with the new mechanics. Her crawl and RAR stuff can be nasty as balls. Being able to run to the edge, RAR WD to fall off and Bair low is sick. Reinvent the Sheik lameness

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I'm in the awkward process of wanting to main Falcon, but realizing that I already do better with Marth, who I've spent less time on.
Join us sword wielders. Nah, I say to use whomever you are most motivated to play and train with. As long as they are viable of course, which is a plus of Project M since you can play any character.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I have Falcon in my blood, you can't get rid of it.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
The one and only Faulty Vending Machine (R.O.B.), and now Meta Knight.
Played ROB in Brawl since I unlocked him wayyy back in 2008 (made the common mistake of thinking he was Wall•e at first), refused to play PM until R.O.B. was released in 2.0.
Meta Knight was actually the character I was most excited to play as in Brawl (I loved the "Knightmare in Dreamland" mode in Nightmare in Dreamland) but I didn't like his playstyle very much when I finally got Brawl. When he came out in PM I decided to give him another shot since I need a fast character to cover some of my weaker R.O.B. matchups.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I was BORN to play Pit. I unlike any other character that I've picked up over the years from 64-melee-brawl-back to melee. The only character to ever fit me like a glove was Pit. I even mained him in Brawl but brawl was bad so I had to stop playing it but I even dreamed(no joke) about playing him in a melee setting. Thank god for PM.

WeenusChu

Smash Cadet
Lucas. So many options, extremely flashy combos, one of the best recoveries in the game, huge shield pressure, completely nutty neutral game.
I don't understand why he's not already considered the best character in the game. A character with a disjointed shine and double jump cancelling.
Neglect that he has two spikes and a ranged attack out of air dodge.

Besides Lucas, I'm offmaining Link/DiddyKong and anxiously awaiting Samus.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Lucas can't be better than Fox or Falco, because their neutral games are much easier and limiting than his. A big reason is lasers: Lucas is not comparable at patiently chipping away. His projectile doesn't measure up. Because of that, you can put most of your focus on watching him when he gets close since there is usually no mixup that punishes you for waiting. If you wait too much vs Fox or Falco, or can't catch up to them, you get chipped at. If you wait too long vs Lucas, it's not nearly as punishing.

ArtehFX

Smash Apprentice
Captain Falcon and Lucas, Captain Falcon because he jumps all across the stage and is quick, Lucas because of his quick attacks and movements and because I'm a fan of Mother 3. Basically, I like fast characters

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Captain Falcon and Lucas, Captain Falcon because he jumps all across the stage and is quick, Lucas because of his quick attacks and movements and because I'm a fan of Mother 3
Yeah, play as the gay characters

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Marth because he is easy as butter to use.

C.Falcon is my secondary, no reason. He's just necessary to have.

WeenusChu

Smash Cadet
Lucas can't be better than Fox or Falco, because their neutral games are much easier and limiting than his. A big reason is lasers: Lucas is not comparable at patiently chipping away. His projectile doesn't measure up. Because of that, you can put most of your focus on watching him when he gets close since there is usually no mixup that punishes you for waiting. If you wait too much vs Fox or Falco, or can't catch up to them, you get chipped at. If you wait too long vs Lucas, it's not nearly as punishing.

Seems sophomoric.
Lucas's neutral game has more depth than just shorthop or DJC PKF.
A full airdodge forward into Z-air is an extremely effective approach.
Neglecting this, he has countless options out of shorthop Magnet, including DJC falling F-air and full airdodge Z-air.
Beyond this, Lucas's airgame is nutty. A double jump approach is reasonably safe versus both of those characters.
I legitimately cannot imagine Fox or Falco being able to contest any Lucas of similar skill on any stage with platforms, or any short stage.
The fact that their recovery is so weak by comparison to the rest of the cast in this instance of Smash Brothers means any touch from Lucas should mean immediate death.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
None of that covers chipping away at people. That's exploring options for going in, and even when he has a ton of goofy, tricky stuff, he doesn't dominate neutral in the same way Fox Falco do.

Zero°

Smash Rookie
Lucas was my main in Brawl but he wasn't the best character. His revamp on P:M made him more fun to play. Toon Link because I've always liked him, so why not. And Squirtle as my submain because I like his revamped moveset. I'm having difficulty adjusting to his new playstyle but I hope to get better with him.

Darkgun

Smash Journeyman
None of that covers chipping away at people. That's exploring options for going in, and even when he has a ton of goofy, tricky stuff, he doesn't dominate neutral in the same way Fox Falco do.
Um... I will immediately admit to not maining Lucas or anything like that, but doesn't he have an PSI Magnet? That thing that absorbs energy projectiles and heals the character (oh, and it is a combo starter/extender I guess)? I mean, at really close ranges this might not be as safe an option but at long range, shouldn't Lucas be gaining health or breaking even under laser pressure, at least from Falco (to which I might add "Who is pressuring who?")? Fox may be a different story, but even then, wouldn't an active PSI Magnet be somewhat unsafe to approach with the options available from it ("Slide-y Boy, AWAY!)"?

Now I can imagine Lucas's neutral game isn't quite as... obnoxious [feels like a somewhat appropriate word] as the spacies, he does still have a pretty awesome one from what I've seen and experienced.

Edit: Though to give some credit, the characters that fair better are usually the ones with the incredible neutral game, and holy cow spacie neutral game.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
I kinda hop between characters, it depends on the play style I feel like using. The characters that I use most, and can perform well with consistently, would need to be Marth, Wolf, MetaKnight, Mario, and perhaps Luigi on days I feel particularly wacky. :/

PrincessAzula

Smash Apprentice
Zelda, because throwing people into fireballs is invigorating and because everyone hates to play against her.

Ivy, because solarbeam and, yet again, because everyone hates to play against her.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
Falco and MK, I'm kind of transitioning at the moment.
I used Falco in Melee. He's flashy as hell for simply doing what he's supposed to do. It just so happens that he kind of fits my playstyle, although I didn't find that out until long after I picked him up.

As for MK, I don't know. Being able to play such a fast, gimp heavy style is really unique to me. Every move feels like it has at least one purpose, and he's fairly flashy since his combos can get pretty long at times despite dealing so little damage. His grab game is also fantastic. Everything about his moveset just kinda clicks together. Also, he's new and shiny.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Lucario and ZSS, because I love having such great mobility and they also share a great combo game as well.
same for me, even though a lot of the lucario players dropped off after the nerf, in 2.6 he is great. I love the combo system for Lucario, and I was a pretty hard core ZSS main in brawl, it took a while to get used to her fall speed, but I love her in PM

Squall LeonHeart

Smash Ace
Snake, Dorf and Marth.

Snake because of his mine(d) games and his new inclusion of moves. Dorf because it is similar to his Melee counterpart and I mained him in Melee.

Marth as well because of his speed, combo ability, great recovery and of course his deadly sword tip. Plus I am a sucker for sword users.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Meta Knight, being a big Kirby fan it's such a relief that I can finally play him without feeling bad about using a super OP character. His new D-Air is great to avoid getting juggled and to set yourself in a good position. I also love how his Dimensional Cape doesn't put you into a dead fall state, allowing you so many great options, and the Balanced Brawl C-Stick flick makes it such a sweet killing move too. And still he retains my favorite aspects from the old Meta Knight, even if I'm not a fan of the Side-B nerf it was still necessary.

I second main Ike and Ivysaur. Ike is just too much fun with his new speed, absolutely love everything about him. Finally being able to play as Ivysaur outside of the Pokémon Trainer is great, my favorite Pokémon line is the Bulbasaur line, and I just love the range and stage control you have with this character.

I alt C. Falcon and Jigglypuff. I'm not too happy about P:M Falcon, so I degraded him to alt status, while I completely threw Wario away. Jiggs was one of my former mains in Melee, so it's great playing her while kicking butt again, might try and up her to main status and throw Ivysaur off, just for old times sake.

Will probably main Samus once she releases, maybe even have her as my primary main, being the ginormous Metroid fan that I am and how much I love to play her in Balanced Brawl.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I was slowly realizing that snake was not a character in P:M designed to sit back and only use projectiles, so I wanted a character that fitted my more used aerial fun
  • alright who has a pink costume
  • ...what
  • I am picking a character with a pink costume. gimme
  • ...squirtle?
  • ewwwww no squirtle is bad
  • luigi.
  • get out I tried him before
  • well I mean 2.6 is coming out and meta knight has a pink color I gue--
  • OH MAN THIS GUY IS FUN

TreK

Is "that guy"
Ivy, because he's the only character I don't play in Brawl even casually, so I don't feel lile he lost something I loved about him, which I do for basically everybody else in the game.
I'd have loved to show my Diddy skills to the Melee guys, but the PM guys won't let me do that lol

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I main Luigi. I've always played as Luigi because of his slickness, and I've enjoyed the Russian-Roulette-like misfire system. Also, his tornado is far more forgiving than it was in Melee. Quite the bonus for me. ;3

TheNotSoShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheNotSoShyGuy
I have always mained Link since my older brother used him a lot in 64 and Melee. I always saw him beat everybody, (including me before I got good at smash years later) so I decided to follow in his footsteps. It also applied to other fighting games like Mortal Kombat where I now use Noob and Sub-Zero after he did. To this day I still use Link in all smash games, with Project M as no exception.

My Project M secondary, Lucario, was chosen because he was not only one of my favorite Pokemon, but also because he is unique in Project M. In most fighting games I tend to lean towards more unique playstyles, like Phoenix Wright in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. He is just so fun to play with; it causes me to look at the matchups and situations differently then what an average player would see because he style of attacking is so different.

Heefe

Smash Apprentice
In SSB64 it was Kirby, since SSBM I play Shiek, then came SSBB and Shiek was broken as f..., so I didn't really play Brawl that much. So now there is Project M and I'm all in for Shiek again. :) I just hope in Smash 4 there will be a similar character or even better a non broken Shiek like in Melee. I just love those fast ground/air assassin-like moves.

GreenMunchkin

Smash Apprentice
In SSB64 it was Kirby, since SSBM I play Shiek, then came SSBB and Shiek was broken as f..., so I didn't really play Brawl that much. So now there is Project M and I'm all in for Shiek again. :) I just hope in Smash 4 there will be a similar character or even better a non broken Shiek like in Melee. I just love those fast ground/air assassin-like moves.
In SSBM, Sheik (not Shiek) is 3rd on the tier list.
In SSBB, Sheik is 24th.
You're doing it wrong.

Top Bottom