• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Main and Why

Rat

Smash Lord
Wolf
Took me awhile to settle on wolf and i'm still partial to squirtle. I had a few rules for picking a new character:
1) No Melee Top Tiers
2) Fast/Technical
3) Unlikely to see major revision.

Wolf has some other perks:
- He's probably going be Top or High Tier.
- He'll make picking up fox/falco easier in melee.
- He's got lots of cancels.
- He's fun.

I'm probably going to change mains in the future though. ;)

Shauce

Smash Rookie
Lucas, Roy, and Fox are my mains.

Lucas because his great combo potential, and he's just so smooth.

Roy because he was my favorite in Melee, but now he's an actual viable character.

Fox because I find P:M version of him easier to play, and I just have loads of fun playing as him.

Thamauturge

Smash Apprentice
Captain Falcon, Marth and Falco are my mains. Marth and Falco were characters that I mained when I got into competitive Melee, since they seemed to benefit the most from things like SHFFL and Wavedashing. Picked up Falcon later, but I ended up becoming better with him.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm actually getting a little concerned that Meta Knight might be usurping my main slot.

I love DooDooDooze, there's no question there. But it's just so fun to zip around and attack so quickly like Meta Knight can do. He has so much subtlety, too. The weapons they wield in-game are very accurate representations of them as characters. DDD is a big-ass hammer. Slow, but when he gets in your face you're in trouble. MK is like a short sword or dagger: not a huge amount of damage, but very precise, technical, and quick.

DDD is brute force, MK is subterfuge and tricks. I'm also kinda concerned about DDD's longevity. I'm worried that a lot of his success right now is due to matchup inexperience and as time goes on he will only get worse :(

Fortress

Smash Master
Sheik, with Link as a secondary.

Sheik for her combo ability, movement options, strong projectile gimps/setups/resets, and satisfaction to play.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sheik, with Link as a secondary.

Sheik for her combo ability, movement options, strong projectile gimps/setups/resets, and satisfaction to play.
My friendcousin plays exactly that. Sheik with Link as secondary. And Ganondorf tertiary.

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Sopo
Because playing with him alone provides a challenge, and winning a match with him is so enjoyable.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
MK is like a short sword or dagger: not a huge amount of damage, but very precise, technical, and quick.
Funny enough I remember reading on some thread MK actually has like the 3rd longest sword in the game. Might be 4th now that Roy's been added though.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
My main is Ivysaur. I already loved Ivysaur when playing Brawl, Ivy was always the one putting in work when I played Pokemon Trainer, even though everyone said Ivy sucks. Then they made Project M and made Ivysaur completely amazing, just for me and the other 3 Ivysaur fans out there. Bair and Nair are still amazing, you can now combo into USmash and Uair off tons of things, Seed Bomb is so much better than Bullet Seed, and of course, Solarbeam. I think Solarbeam must be the most satisfying kill move in the game. Even the Knee doesn't have a giant frikkin' laserbeam.

Justkallmekai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ProjectM3.0
3DS FC
0473-8282-3242
I main Marth cause he has a lot of variety and combos, plus he's pretty fast, and he feels right to me. And cause doing Ken Combos feels so good!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am new to Project M and I am no way a competitive player. That being said, my mains at the moment are Squirtle and Ivysaur. I've always wanted to play as them, since Brawl was released, but I didn't want to play with both at the same time (and with ****zard together), plus I don't like the Pokémon Trainer's design, so having him in the background always annoyed me. Project M solved all of these problems, so I decided to give the two Kanto starters a try and I loved them, especially Squirtle. So yeah, Squirtle is my main and Ivy is my secondary.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Funny enough I remember reading on some thread MK actually has like the 3rd longest sword in the game. Might be 4th now that Roy's been added though.
I'm pretty sure it's second only to Ike's sword. It just seems short because of MK's stubby arms.

Russy

Russydorf of Cincy
Wolf

Aerial fighters have always been a passion of mine in smash, since Wolf was my secondary in brawl, the transition to project m was a fairly natural one. Also blaster stun > wave cancel > shine > side b is too good to pass up

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Uh Wolf is a fast faller, that's like the exact opposite of an aerial fighter.

Fortress

Smash Master
Wolf primarily his aerials for approaching and his most powerful kill moves are in the air... seems like an aerial fighter to me
He is. Being a fast-faller only assists in that, since it lets him transition from ground-to-air and air-to-ground even faster than most of the cast. It also lets him be quick and surgical with his aerials. Being a fast-faller doesn't mean a character isn't an aerial fighter.

Last edited:

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Wolf is a juggler he revolves around keeping his opponent in the air, that doesn't necessarily entail being in the air himself. An aerial fighter would be like Wario or Jiggs who have crazy aerial mobility and can weave in and out through the air. Also I'm pretty sure side-b is Wolf's most powerful kill move and it can be used on the ground or in the air, I'd also be willing to bet that dsmash is stronger than his aerial kill moves.

Last edited:

Russy

Russydorf of Cincy
Wolf is a juggler. An aerial fighter would be like Wario or Jiggs.
Juggler isn't a class of character, Wolf has the ability to juggle because his aerials have strong enough knockback to keep his opponents in the air combined with his heavy weight which allows him to hit the ground fast after an aerial and jump back up quickly to keep the pressure up

Fortress

Smash Master
Since any fighting game ever. Link is a zoner, DK is a grappler, Kirby/Jiggs are floaties (which is unique to Smash, I guess). I can go on, but I won't.

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
My main is Ivysaur. I already loved Ivysaur when playing Brawl, Ivy was always the one putting in work when I played Pokemon Trainer, even though everyone said Ivy sucks. Then they made Project M and made Ivysaur completely amazing, just for me and the other 3 Ivysaur fans out there. Bair and Nair are still amazing, you can now combo into USmash and Uair off tons of things, Seed Bomb is so much better than Bullet Seed, and of course, Solarbeam. I think Solarbeam must be the most satisfying kill move in the game. Even the Knee doesn't have a giant frikkin' laserbeam.
You should have seen the previous iteration of Ivysaur. It was leagues above the current one.

Russy

Russydorf of Cincy
Since any fighting game ever. Link is a zoner, DK is a grappler, Kirby/Jiggs are floaties (which is unique to Smash, I guess). I can go on, but I won't.
Literally this, and anyway, who cares? Why is some random guy questioning why a Wolf player plays Wolf how he does?

TreK

Is "that guy"
2.6b Ivysaur OP.
Rest in peace, 2.6b Ivysaur, love of my life. I will miss you forever.
I'll crusade against the heretics who dare say that 3.0 Ivysaur is better and I will put Bellsprouts on your tumb every sunday morning.

MadScience

Smash Rookie
Rest in peace, 2.6b Ivysaur, love of my life. I will miss you forever.
I'll crusade against the heretics who dare say that 3.0 Ivysaur is better and I will put Bellsprouts on your tumb every sunday morning.
I wasn't around for 2.6, but why was Ivysaur so much better than now?

Fortress

Smash Master
Well, on top of everything being perfect with Ivy, her projectile was the safest, campiest, bestest projectile there ever was.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Yeah, and now that it's gone, people are free to complain about Falco's lazer, Pit's arrows, Mario's fireballs and Zelda's Din. What a lovely way to solve a problem :3

You can find more details in the 3.0 patch note and in the sticky thread they posted in the Ivy boards.
I'm not going to give my opinion on the matter. I would have a really hard time wording it in a way that would not get me banned :V

Last edited:

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Squirtle because his incredibly high tech ceiling. His movement options are unparalleled when taken to the highest level of play. Also, people just flat out fail to realize the incredible ATs this character has, so I make a point of showing people.

ZSS because initially a lot of ZSS brawl mains hated her and said she was awful, I wanted to show them they were wrong (I was a ZSS brawl main) so I started playing her, that was a long time ago but I still think she is great. She is my main in teams.

G&W because sometimes i'm drunk and the RNG stuff is fun to combo with.

Last edited:

Russy

Russydorf of Cincy
Well, on top of everything being perfect with Ivy, her projectile was the safest, campiest, bestest projectile there ever was.
I got a buddy who mains ivy, once he gets you into a combo, it's scary to see the damage just rack up

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I have my main down as Marth since he's my favorite character, but I hardly play him lately. PM has too many good characters that are fun to play for me to settle down for now.
G&W because sometimes i'm drunk and the RNG stuff is fun to combo with.
These 9s always come out at the worst time when I'm facing a G&W. I can't help but get mad salty every time. At least I can consistently beat every G&W player at my school, it helps alleviate the salt.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Zelda and Peach are my mains, with ZSS and Ivy being secondaries.

In Melee, it was the same Peach, then Zelda. Then I discovered ZSS in Brawl, liked how she played, and tacked her on. Then I read about Ivy in PM, and she joined the wagon as well. Now it's kind of a tradition to play all of the females for me, so Smash 4 will be crazy

Top Bottom